Menu

Can we talk tattoos? Have any? What of?

I have one small one on my ankle from my college days and I've thinking of getting another. Then, I went to a play date recently with the children from my ds's pre-school. I was really surprised how many of the moms were not only wearing bikinis (gave mine up years ago) but also had tattoos peaking out from under their suits or around their ankles. Got me to thinking how many moms are sporting tattoos out there.

I do not have one but I've found that they are very popular in mothers a little younger than me. (I will turn 44 this fall.) My ds (18) got a huge cross on his left side as a graduation present to himself. Dh and I were not thrilled about him getting one but the artwork is beautiful and it kinda made me think that I might like one if I wasn't such a big chicken.

I have 2. The first one I got is around my belly button. It is a celtic knot style star with flowers around it.

The other one is on my upper right arm. It started out as the zodiac symbols of my dh, myself and our 2 dc. I didn't like how it turned out, so I went somewhere else and had them add to it. Now it has a sun/moon combination around the symbols. I am still thinking of adding more to it to give it more of a celestial theme.

I also will be getting a dragon on my upper left arm. I found this really cool paper artist on-line who created an awesome dragon. I had been looking for a picture of a dragon that I liked to use as a starting point for the tattoo design. I knew this was it when I saw it. I emailed the artist to ask his permission to use his art and he said I could. I am hoping to have that one done before the end of the year.

I am sure I will have others as well, but that is it for now. :)

I met a woman recently sitting next to me in a pedicure chair at the salon, she was probably in her mid 50's...she had a cute, small heart on the inside of her foot, just below the ankle bone. She said she had been having a really bad day awhile back and called her oldest son (college aged) to complain. He took her out for a beer and then to the tattoo shop. She said it really cheered her up and now she smiles whenever she sees it.

I'm still learning...but how come when I tried to quote Amy loves bud it didn't put the quote in the blue box?

When you erased the beginning of my quote, you also erased the opening tag for my quote that looks something like this

You kept the closing tag and it showed up at the end of my quote as text.

Henna tattoos last about 10 days. :D

I've lived with only one for almost 15 years and for about 6 months now, it's been really on my mind to get another. Not sure why....fad? I really want to get a string of 5 small stars (one for each child) on the outer part of my foot, below the ankle bone. Of course, if/when we have any more kiddos, I'd have to add another star to the string...wouldn't be right to leave anyone out....

When you erased the beginning of my quote, you also erased the opening tag for my quote that looks something like this

You kept the closing tag and it showed up at the end of my quote as text.

Henna tattoos last about 10 days. :D

AHHH....got it...thanks!

I have a butterfly on a blade of grass on my left ankle. I have had it for 14 years. Most of the time, I forget it is there. I would like a tattoo with my 3 kids and dh's first initial somehow drawn into a design. It would be 2 T's and 2 S's. I saw a mom once with a design like that and I really loved it.

My dh has always wanted us to get matching ones with our names and hearts. However, I am a chicken when it comes to needles. I was brave enough to have 3 children, with all the blood draws and having to have the last one knowingly by c-section. I think that's enough needles for my lifetime! I admit it would be kinda fun, but I don't like needles!!! I've also thought that if I lose my weight again a belly-button ring would be fun!

I'm 40 and have a dragon tattoo on my upper right thigh. I got it when I was 27 years old. It's high enough that it can't be seen when I'm wearing shorts. I had to choose an appropriate concealed area because I was working in a business office and frequently traveled to client offices. I want another tattoo. I haven't gotten a 2nd one just because I hadn't decided on what I wanted. Now I know that I want to have a tat of my cat! She is very dear to me and while she's only about 6 or 7 years old, she won't be with me forever and that would be a great way to keep a reminder of her for the rest of my life.

My dh has always wanted us to get matching ones with our names and hearts. However, I am a chicken when it comes to needles. I was brave enough to have 3 children, with all the blood draws and having to have the last one knowingly by c-section. I think that's enough needles for my lifetime! I admit it would be kinda fun, but I don't like needles!!! I've also thought that if I lose my weight again a belly-button ring would be fun!

I don't remember my tattoo hurting.... but it's been 15 years. I did get a belly ring about 7 years ago and I loved it but it hurt! It was a quick pain, didn't last too long. For that matter, the ring itself didn't last too long. Two weeks after I got it I found out I was pregnant with my third. I left the ring in for almost the entire pregnancy which was a mistake for me....the bridge of skin between the two holes got so thin that it can't support a ring anymore:001_unsure:

I'm 40 and have a dragon tattoo on my upper right thigh. I got it when I was 27 years old. It's high enough that it can't be seen when I'm wearing shorts. I had to choose an appropriate concealed area because I was working in a business office and frequently traveled to client offices. I want another tattoo. I haven't gotten a 2nd one just because I hadn't decided on what I wanted. Now I know that I want to have a tat of my cat! She is very dear to me and while she's only about 6 or 7 years old, she won't be with me forever and that would be a great way to keep a reminder of her for the rest of my life.

I love the cat idea. I have one I am very close too.

I wanted one at forty and tried to get sis to do one too. But she talked me out of it. I would love to have MT. Shasta tattooed on my shoulder. Nice symbol of strength. I also wanted to change my horrid scar on my tummy into something but I heard the skin is sensitive.

Jet

I have one small one on my ankle from my college days and I've thinking of getting another. Then, I went to a play date recently with the children from my ds's pre-school. I was really surprised how many of the moms were not only wearing bikinis (gave mine up years ago) but also had tattoos peaking out from under their suits or around their ankles. Got me to thinking how many moms are sporting tattoos out there.

Forget the tatoos, I want to know how old these moms in bikinis were?!:001_huh:

Actually, I have a tatoo that I got when I was 28 and going through a divorce. It's a 4 leaf clover-I guess I needed the luck. I wasn't a Christian then, otherwise I would have gotten a cross. I'm 40 now, by the way. My dh has one on his shoulder of a heart with my name in it. He got it on our 1st anniversary. :001_wub: He is the least likely man to ever have one either-very out of character. Must have been LOVE.

Well, I'm 35, and dh has convinced me to pack bikinis, and no one piece suits, for our upcoming trip to the beach for our 12th anniversary. For some reason I'm more nervous about that than about the visit we're making to the nude beach, lol!

I'd say the age range was from mid 30's to upper 40's. I just turned 37 and the most I'll go these days is a "tankini"---2pc with a longer top. After 5 babies, my tummy is jello. As soon as I know for sure that I'm done having babies (one more and that's it!), my husband promised a tummy tuck!

Age range was mid 30 to upper 40. I just turned 37 and the least I'll wear is a tankini (2 pc with a longer top to cover the belly). After 5 babies, my tummy is too squishy to be revealed to the public. As soon as I know for sure I'm done having babies, my husband promised a tummy tuck!

:lol:

I have an awesome tattoo! I got last year for my 30th birthday. If you click on my blog here www.chickymomma.blogspot.com and scroll down to the bottom you can see a pic and read the story behind it!

WOW! Your tattoo is beautiful! I don't have the courage to do one so big. I think my next will be a string of 5 stars around my outer ankle, one for each child.

I have an awesome tattoo! I got last year for my 30th birthday. If you click on my blog here http://www.chickymomma.blogspot.com and scroll down to the bottom you can see a pic and read the story behind it!

That is gorgeous.

I want one on my shoulder of 2 wedding bands.

But I keep thinking, "Kelli, you are in your fourties. And you are not one of those hot 40-something moms. You look like a crone. Do you really think a tattoo fits your persona?" And so I doubt I will ever get the courage to do it.

But I want to.

...has three, lol.

A sun on her shoulder, a...okay, I can't think of what you call it, some sort of flower--a lotus! That's it!...on one calf, and some sort of stick figure guy, a native American fertility something or other on the other calf.

Stepdad has...one tattoo, I think, and an earring.

My mom used to have a nose ring, but I think it was bothering her, and she let it grow back, if I remember correctly.

My younger brother has more tattoos than you can count, LOL!

I'm the "rebel", with no body art, and no piercings. :D

That is gorgeous.

I want one on my shoulder of 2 wedding bands.

But I keep thinking, "Kelli, you are in your fourties. And you are not one of those hot 40-something moms. You look like a crone. Do you really think a tattoo fits your persona?" And so I doubt I will ever get the courage to do it.

But I want to.

You should do it! It could be your "fourties thing"! I'm almost fourty and let my hair dresser convince me to put fire engine red extensions in my black hair. I completely love doing something out of my comfort zone!

I've got three-only started getting them after I had my kids. I figured if I was 35 with two kids and I still wanted a tattoo, I'd always want a tattoo.

My first one was a smaller, one-color tribal butterfly on my shoulder blade. My "starter" tattoo.

My second is a lower back tattoo (what they call a "tramp stamp" lol) of two koi with a lotus in the middle-each of the koi represents one of my kids, and the lotus represents the spiritual journey they've taken me on.

My third one is on the back of my neck-I wanted a few scattered cherry blossoms, but it didn't come out at all the way I wanted it-it's very rigid and not very feminine. Very frustrating. So now I'm kind of sitting on it, trying to decide over time if I want to have it "worked with" or just removed. I have long hair, so at least it's covered most of the time.

I would love to get more, but can't justify spending money on it right now. I really like the art aspect of it-planning out a piece of art that is very meaningful to you, and then getting to keep that piece of art as a piece of you, forever.

Chickymama-I really like your tattoo! Very pretty and unique.

And it's funny, about the age thing-I was thinking recently that I ought to dye my hair purple or fire engine red now in my 30's, before I get too old and look ridiculous. In my own head I'm still some hip young thing!

She tried to talk me into getting a matching tattoo with her - a bonding moment she called it. I'm sure my dh would have a fit if I did it!

She and her dh recently had the hospital footprints of their dc placed on their lower leg. I actually find them meaningful and kinda lovely. Otherwise I am not sure what I would like to have stamped on my body for the rest of my life!

I'm almost 44 now, and I still love it! It's on my right ankle. A blue bird lifting up in flight, holding a small flowering vine in its claws. There is a small red heart on the vine also. Right below is the Chinese character for "strength".

I thought about the design for a couple years before I got it. DH was not thrilled, although he does think it is pretty. After I got home with the tat, he did admit that the fact that I had it was "kind of exciting".

I would like to get another, on my other ankle. Not sure what design it will be yet. I'm thinking for my 45th birthday, so I still have time.

Michelle T

I don't have any, nor will I ever. I just don't like them for some reason, and I have yet to see one that I think is so beautiful that I would want to be sporting it on my bod for the rest. of. my. life. :blink: Sorry ladies, no offense, but I just can't do it.

I have many friends who have them though. What I don't understand is why when a woman only wants one...she ends up getting another, and another, and another! Do they, like, inject you with some kind of mind altering drug with your first? :lol: Several girlfriends of mine have them. They started out with sweetly and modestly saying, "I just want one little one for me, some place no one will see but me and my man" to sporting them all over their legs, back, belly, chest for ALL the world to see! :w00t:

It absolutely cracks me up! :smilielol5:

Now, when I hear someone say they are just getting one...I say, yeah, sure ya are, care to make a bet with me? :D

[sigh] Yes, I am old-fashioned. But, I figure if I keep my body clean and clear that one day *I* will be the one in fad. OK, maybe when I'm about EIGHTY...but, hey, I'll be the sexy faddish in-style GRANNY-about-town! Wooohooo! :w00t:

;)

I think tattoos are rather personal. Those people that I know didn't get them done for the general public, but for themselves. Something meaningful, a memorial of sorts. I have two in mind that I would like to get. One is like a mothers ring only an anklet bracelet joined with a cross. The others would be a small remembrance of my mom and dad. They would be for me.

Both my older dd's have tattoos. My oldest has art in Kanji on her shoulder. She is majoring in illustrative art and is interested in the idea of being a tattoo artist. My other dd has some little stars on feet and is getting is sparrow on her torso. All are private, not seen by the public. As I said, they were for the person wearing them.

Janet

None here. I'm too afraid of what it will look like in 20 or so years. Plus, I don't like the idea of something so permanent.

Me too. My tastes change too often for something permanent and I don't want to even think about my skin at 80 with a saggy, wrinkly old tattoo.

I do buy temporary tattoos though. They are fun to play with and they last through a shower or two if you don't scrub them.

I've been wanting to try a henna design, but they take so long to cure that I haven't found the time yet. I would like to surprise dh sometime when he comes home from a business trip. ;)

I have two tattoos.

One is on my ankle. I got it right after I got married at age 22... it's a moon and a snake. The snake represents healing and wisdom (really, it's even on the traditional medical symbols) and the moon represents the changing phases of life. Deeeep thoughts, huh. ;) I really love it- I told a friend what elements I wanted and he designed it for me.

My other tat is on my lower back. Yes, a tramp stamp! :001_rolleyes: It also represents the changing stages of life. (Maiden, Mother, and Crone) I really like the tat and what it represents, and I think it's very pretty... love how the celtic knot ties everything together. This one is my more personal one, since hardly anyone ever sees it!

luckyfishart_2007_42887285

(I got it when DH and I went to get tattoos together for our 10th anniversary. He has two- they are both tribal designs on his upper arms.)

Snicker... I know people worry about how tattoos will look as they get older. On some level I must have been concerned about that as well, since both of mine have elements representing getting older. LOL- it's not something I wish to change or avoid. Embrace the crone!

Age range was mid 30 to upper 40. I just turned 37 and the least I'll wear is a tankini (2 pc with a longer top to cover the belly). After 5 babies, my tummy is too squishy to be revealed to the public. As soon as I know for sure I'm done having babies, my husband promised a tummy tuck!

:lol:

Squshy is being kind when it comes to mine-and what about my legs!:eek: Up until last summer, I've been still wearing my maternity suit, and my youngest is almost 5!

What I don't understand is why when a woman only wants one...she ends up getting another, and another, and another! Do they, like, inject you with some kind of mind altering drug with your first? :lol:

I don't have a CLUE how that happens, but I know it does. When I got my first one, I was 25. I was dating my dh then. The woman who went with me had a couple and her daughter had a few. She told me that once you get one, you'll want another. And I did. I think my dh would stroke out if I got another one now. Maybe when I get down to my goal weight I'll get a little something on my ankle.

I think tattoos are rather personal. Those people that I know didn't get them done for the general public, but for themselves. Something meaningful, a memorial of sorts. . . Both my older dd's have tattoos. My oldest has art in Kanji on her shoulder. She is majoring in illustrative art and is interested in the idea of being a tattoo artist. My other dd has some little stars on feet and is getting is sparrow on her torso. All are private, not seen by the public. As I said, they were for the person wearing them.

Janet

Although I am not into body modification and/or mutilation for fashion myself, my teen and young adult children *are.* Unfortunately (or forunately depending upon your point of view), in our state a minor cannot get tattooed even with parental consent. But they can get pierced just about anywhere with parental consent. Doesn't quite make sense other than fact that tats are permanent.

This Saturday my 18 year old is getting a discreet, personally meaningful tattoo on upper shoulder. Later she plans another tattoo for her foot.

When eldest was 18 or 19, he got a personally relevant symbol on the inside of his wrist. Can be easily hidden by watch if/when he enters the corporate drone world.

Another teen daughter has multiple ear lobe and cartilage piercings, nose stud, and belly button ring.

Tattoos are no longer the countercultural symbol they once were. About 1/3 of adults in the 18-35 range have at least one tattoo.