Menu

At what age would you let your dd

wax her eyebrows? One of my dds has a uni-brow; she's had it since the day she was born, lol. It's really thick and pretty dark. She recently really noticed it, it's bothering her, and she asked me yesterday if there is any way to get the hair off. I showed her a video on youtube of waxing. She knows it will hurt, but she thinks she wants to try it out.

I wax; I get it. I remember secretly plucking my hairs because my mom wouldn't let me wax. :tongue_smilie:

Thoughts?

As soon as it bugged her, I would let her. I have had a unibrow since I was young, too. I plucked it the first time in college and only did one side and had to wait a few days to do the other side since it hurt so bad!!! I wish I would have had wax then. My son inherited my unibrow and I started waxing his at about age 12 per his request. Now he is 21 and does it himself. I keep mine plucked. My trusty tweezers are next to my chair at all times!

Okay, I really don't know. I don't have a daughter. But when I see kids with unibrows, I sometimes wonder why their Moms don't just get that taken care of. Waxing hurts a little, but not that much. And yes, it's vain. But most Mom's I know enjoy dressing their daughters in cute clothes, and may even paint their nails for fun. Why not just wax the brow?

I am very anti-kids getting older younger, but for something like that where she is self-concious and it would make her an easy target for teasing I think it would be cruel not to help her fix it as simply and easily as possible. If she's old enough to notice and to care, I would let her do it.

As soon as it bugged her, I would let her. I have had a unibrow since I was young, too. I plucked it the first time in college and only did one side and had to wait a few days to do the other side since it hurt so bad!!! I wish I would have had wax then. My son inherited my unibrow and I started waxing his at about age 12 per his request. Now he is 21 and does it himself. I keep mine plucked. My trusty tweezers are next to my chair at all times!

:iagree:

For no apparent reason, it seems common among the people we know to start this before entering middle school (6th).

I agree with the others, though, about doing it when the child expresses concern over a perceived issue.

I am very anti-kids getting older younger, but for something like that where she is self-concious and it would make her an easy target for teasing I think it would be cruel not to help her fix it as simply and easily as possible. If she's old enough to notice and to care, I would let her do it.

Same here, although I have pointed out to my boys that no one likes a unibrow and can I help? Oldest ds has thanked me profusely for teaching him about that. He meets a lot of nerdy teen boys with unibrows.

I WISH my daughter would ask... I've been asking her since she was about 8yo if she'd like me to get rid of her unibrow. She's 12yo now and still isn't interested in the least. I only ask her about once a year, I don't harp on it... Sorta 'you want me to pluck that unibrow for ya yet?'

I admit that I just tell my 13ds that I'm going to do his eyebrows. He doesn't care how he looks. He puts up with it and doesn't take it personally. I think a girl would take it personally.

I WISH my daughter would ask... I've been asking her since she was about 8yo if she'd like me to get rid of her unibrow. She's 12yo now and still isn't interested in the least. I only ask her about once a year, I don't harp on it... Sorta 'you want me to pluck that unibrow for ya yet?'

Ah, but it sounds like you are raising a young girl with healthy self-esteem based on more important things than her looks! Good for you!

(I say that as a mom who has been considering my daughter's unibrow since she was born. She wears bangs as even my vanity won't allow me to go after a 5 year old. :D)

My dd has one too. I am waiting for her to say something. As soon as she does, I will help her decide what to do next. Honestly, I never saw it, as it is faint, and shaped, not straight across. Can you believe someone from our adoption group posted a picture at a reunion when the girls were 3 years old, captioning it with a comment about dd's unibrow?

At first I was shocked and hurt, but then I considered the source. I realized my dd must be pretty cute for someone to try and take her down a peg like that. ;)

I agree with the others, though, about doing it when the child expresses concern over a perceived issue.

Yep, me too. My mom had a cow when I first asked about wanting to shave my legs, so when it came to plucking (yep, unibrower here) I didn't ask, just did. ;)

If it was an issue i would let her. No biggie here.

:iagree:Both my older dds was their eyebrows - 10 (almost 11) and 12. It really bothers the 10 yo. DD12 only goes along because her sister is doing it I think, but there is enough in this world for them to be worried about. Hairy eyebrows are cheap and easy to fix.

As soon as it bothers her, it would be DONE! I might even have a mini-health class on "Grooming" and bring it up in a general way at that time.

Diamond had a unibrow, and I think she finally let me wax it at age 13 or so. She looks back at old photos and wishes we had done it sooner. Thank goodness for Photoshop!:lol:

Oh, the rest of my opinion: this is a grooming issue, not a moral issue. So age has nothing to do with it. I'm about ready to tie BabyBaby down and arch her brows- she doesn't have a unibrow, but rather a mess under the arch- and since she lives in Karate Gis and has no interest in make-up I'd like her to look a bit more girly- she is very muscular and often gets mistaken for a boy. :glare:

As soon as it bothered her. I'd even be willing to pay to laser off a unibrow as it's highly unlikely they'll be coming into style at any point.

LOL! Yeah I would wax it for 'em like it or not!