Menu

What temp do you set your A/C?

There is no such thing as a comfortable temp for the whole family, here. My husband is usually uncomfortably warm even when I'm cuddled on the couch under a blanket.

However, we usually keep the thermostat at 79 during the summer.

When he's not home during the day, I turn it off completely and just use a fan until the temperature climbs above 82 or 83.

Every year, we have worked our a/c up, trying to settle about 80 (some years it has been as high as 83. I wouldn't usually go under 78 for summer). Currently, we are at 74. We really need to work it up. I just keep putting it off.

We were dropping it at night.

I wonder if keeping it 74 all day & night would be better than trying to do 78 during the day and dropping it at night.

75 during the day, 72 at night. We could probably get away without turning it down at night, but mine and dh's room only gets a pitiful amount of cool air (or heat in winter), so if we don't turn it down, we roast and can't sleep. Window units are not allowed where we live. :glare:

There is no such thing as a comfortable temp for the whole family, here. My husband is usually uncomfortably warm even when I'm cuddled on the couch under a blanket.

However, we usually keep the thermostat at 79 during the summer.

When he's not home during the day, I turn it off completely and just use a fan until the temperature climbs above 82 or 83.

:iagree: This.

75 during the day, 72 at night. We could probably get away without turning it down at night, but mine and dh's room only gets a pitiful amount of cool air (or heat in winter), so if we don't turn it down, we roast and can't sleep. Window units are not allowed where we live. :glare:

We have the same problem in our mobile home so we use a fan.

I can't imagine being in a house that is 78, 82, 85 degrees. It would be miserable. The humidity alone would suffocate us.

We keep ours at 73. Just one degree above it's too hot, DS feels like he has a fever he gets so warm. Just one degree below and we're too cold. Most people around here (south Louisiana) keep their air even cooler than we do.

I can't imagine being in a house that is 78, 82, 85 degrees. It would be miserable. The humidity alone would suffocate us.

We do it to stay within budget. I think partly its a matter of what you get used to. Growing up (in Houston, TX), we had an attic fan and never turned the air conditioning on during the day at all. its a luxury to be able to run it all the time! But I know a family down in San Antonio that has trained themselves NOT to use the air conditioning at all -- for financial reasons. We kind of figure "back in the day" everyone lived this way so its just a matter of figuring out how to make it work.

75 day and 72 night. My youngest dd's room gets warm at night and is the only room without ceiling fans. She sleeps better at 72 than at 75 or even 73. We also have a whole house fan, so if it is an esspecially hot day, I'll run that fan before bed to suck out the residual heat.

FWIW we've had several 90 degree days here and haven't had to turn on the air. We open the windows at night and put fans in to cool the place and close and cover the windows during the day to block the heat out. It really can make a huge difference.

IIRC last year we set the thermostat at 82 during the day and 78 at night when we did turn it on. The house has gotten as high as 83 -84 so far this year we've had temps up to 100 so far but our avg has been normal for the most part 80s during the day and 60s at night.

Right now I'm mostly keeping it on 74 or 75, but I'm guessing that will creep up as the outside temps do. It has to be that low right now or it won't come on, and I need it to run to keep the humidity down. Once it's hotter outside, I'm thinking (new house, so I don't really know yet) I'll probably keep it closer to 77 or 78). Our old house was completely surrounded by trees and the temp inside very rarely got above 80 or so no matter how hot it was outside. But we still needed to run the air to keep it dry inside.

78--I think I read somewhere that was ideal for energy efficiency while still being reasonably cool. We have virtually no humidity here, either. I'm pretty comfortable at 78 in the summer (any cooler and I would need to put on a sweater), but DH would probably prefer it to be cooler.

Same here. Our house is old and leaky. I've fixed what I can to keep the heat/cold in but we have this huge custom front window that just lets the outside pour in. I often keep the shades closed during the most extreme temps to help with that. Replacing that window is prohibitively expensive. I've had a few quotes on it, and it's about 1/3 dh's annual salary!

So, I keep the thermostat set at 72 to keep the actual temp in here around 75 on the main floor. The upstairs stays warmer- around 78 when the thermostat is at 72. On really hot days, I have to set it between 68-70 to get it comfortable in here.

Between 79 and 82. No humidity here. We couldn't afford to keep it lower.

THat's the same with us. We have between 15-30% humidity during the summer. It's very dry, so the heat is different. 80 degrees in the house is quite comfortable, actually, when it's 105 degrees outside.

Our humidity here has been 50-60% as of late, although in the summer it gets very high. I just looked it up and the avg for summer here is 86% day/52% night, although that is an average and humidity in the 90s is not unusual especially in Jul-Aug.

Edited by soror

Our humidity here has been 50-60% as of late, although in the summer it gets very high. I just looked it up and the avg is 86% day/52% night, although that is an average and humidity in the 90s is not unusual especially in Jul-Aug.

Yes, we live in Central Florida. So, humidity is a fact of life.

We keep the temp higher both because of money and because I get cold easily.

Yes, we live in Central Florida. So, humidity is a fact of life.

We keep the temp higher both because of money and because I get cold easily.

Yep, it is a fact of life. I don't think I get cold easily but I guess that is relative. I don't particularly enjoy sweating in my own house but it is a luxury not to and one I don't have in the budget right now, so we keep on pushing and trying to live w/ higher and higher temps in the summer.

Usually about 77-78. We live in a very hot climate (central AZ), and if we kept it lower, our utility bills would be even crazier than they already are in the summer! I'd like to keep it a little higher (maybe 80) if we could, but our house is very poorly insulated, and it seems like any higher than 78 is too warm for us.

Wendi