Menu

Shel Silverstein?

I had a copy of Where the SideWalk Ends growing up, and I don't recall anything inappropriate about it, but recently as I have pondered purchasing it for my own children's enjoyment, I have had people tell me they would not expose children to it.

They claim it has "Adult" themes, and one person said she had to glue certain pages together before she let her children read it...

I certainly don't recall anything inappropriate in the book, but am I missing/forgetting stuff?

:confused: I've heard of people having issues with Maurice Sendak (we don't), but not Silverstein.

:bigear:

I don't care for Silverstein, at all, but I do not think it is objectionable in a moral sense. I just do not like his writing. My kids have Where the Sidewalk Ends on cd, and have periodically enjoyed it.:001_smile: I just make them listen to it in a room where I am not.:tongue_smilie:

In risk of making someone mad...I think people are way over the top about books. I mean some are well yeah not appropriate at all, but being honest you can "find" adult themes in almost any story out there. I once had someone try and tell me about Little Miss Muffet and Hickory Dickory Dock being "adult theme"???? I am just at a point I want people to explain why they see this. I want it spelled out in plain simple sentences because I must be too stupid to see it. I also start to really wonder that if they can see all this stuff what are they thinking? I mean maybe they need some mental help.

There is a such thing as making way too much out of something. For the record I loved those books as a kid and my kids have heard all the stories there is.

I think his adult songs are just that, adult, but Where the Sidewalk Ends and the other poetry books created for children are fine. There is an element of terror (see "I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor") that sensitive children might react to. But like Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, I think it's a level of scary that most children can relate to.

I know from glancing in the books (we have them all), that some of it made me feel that if I had read them before purchasing (which I did based on reputation and childhood memories), I might not have purchased them at all, but for sure not when the kids were young. HOWEVER, DS9 loves them and has really enjoyed them since about 7.5 or so. They satisfy something in his boyish self, the same part of him that is satisfied by the naughtiness of Calvin and Hobbes and the dark side of the force in Star Wars. :tongue_smilie: I would say they are a great purchase for a certain personality of 8+ years.

DS9 is sitting next to me and I just asked him. He says there is some dark and creepy stuff in the books. Impromptu Narration of the Poem Kidnapped, by DS9 :D: A boy gets kidnapped. Two people come and ask him if he wants some candy and he says no. Then they put him in a limo and drive 20 miles away. They end up in a basement. Two of the kidnappers go to get a ransom while the last one stays and keeps a shotgun pointed at the boy. It ends by explaining that it's why the boy was late for school.

So, funny in the end but it took a lot of creepy to get there. :lol: DS has tons of Shel Silverstein on audio (he reads himself and is excellent but very creepy). DD says she likes it too, "expect the scary parts." I just asked her if it was very scary and she said, "Oh, not much," but she likes to put on a brave face in front of her brothers. She's really quite the chicken. Let's just say I have never caught her reading it or listening to it of her own volition. She reads Calvin and Hobbes constantly. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

In risk of making someone mad...I think people are way over the top about books. I mean some are well yeah not appropriate at all, but being honest you can "find" adult themes in almost any story out there. I once had someone try and tell me about Little Miss Muffet and Hickory Dickory Dock being "adult theme"???? I am just at a point I want people to explain why they see this. I want it spelled out in plain simple sentences because I must be too stupid to see it. I also start to really wonder that if they can see all this stuff what are they thinking? I mean maybe they need some mental help.

There is a such thing as making way too much out of something. For the record I loved those books as a kid and my kids have heard all the stories there is.

Yeah, I am slowly but surely growing out of this. I used to protect them from so much, which I think is a natural part of parenting little kids. But as they grow a bit older, you have to let the scary in. You have to get the books that make you cry. I bawled like a baby over so many books as a child, and I kept that away from my kids until it was like a light went on and I thought about the fact that it didn't scar me. Rather, it made me love books precisely because they could affect me to that extent.

I think his adult songs are just that, adult, but Where the Sidewalk Ends and the other poetry books created for children are fine. There is an element of terror (see "I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor") that sensitive children might react to. But like Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, I think it's a level of scary that most children can relate to.

:iagree: That said, I still keep out anything that causes nightmares. Mostly because I super-duper like my sleep uninterrupted. :tongue_smilie:

Lol, I remember reading them as a child & not noticing anything wrong with them. Then not too long ago, I took one off the shelf at the library & flipped it open & alas there was a naked hairy hiney on the page. So that's probably the extent of the inappropriateness? I left it at the library, btw.

Lol, I remember reading them as a child & not noticing anything wrong with them. Then not too long ago, I took one off the shelf at the library & flipped it open & alas there was a naked hairy hiney on the page. So that's probably the extent of the inappropriateness? I left it at the library, btw.

:w00t::svengo:

Egads! Naked hiney line drawings! What's next in children's literature!?!

;)

There's some potty humor -- but the target audience is elementary kids, and they really like that kind of stuff. I can't remember anything that I'd consider adult, though, and all of my dc have read all of the books numerous times ... aloud, when I'd really prefer silent. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I am slowly but surely growing out of this. I used to protect them from so much, which I think is a natural part of parenting little kids. But as they grow a bit older, you have to let the scary in. You have to get the books that make you cry. I bawled like a baby over so many books as a child, and I kept that away from my kids until it was like a light went on and I thought about the fact that it didn't scar me. Rather, it made me love books precisely because they could affect me to that extent.

:iagree: That said, I still keep out anything that causes nightmares. Mostly because I super-duper like my sleep uninterrupted. :tongue_smilie:

Well I can understand scary to me that is not "adult theme".... Scary is scary adult theme is what grown ups do under tha covers if you get my drift? I will say it took years for me to really get the whole scry thing though. My parents were BIG horror fans. The bloodier the better. Halloween was amazing in our neighborhood growing up!

I have pictures of me at Haunted Houses from when I was only 3 weeks old! My children adore horror as well. They know they are NOT to talk about it to friends or anyone else though. None of us have ever suffered from nightmares or night terrors anything like that. But again I know and respect that it is not everyones cup of tea so no biggie!

It is the people who can find sexual meaning in everything that kinda freak me out. I mean Where The Sidewalk Ends? If you see that in this book you are way more disturbed than my horror habit! People can read anything and if they are twisted enough can find sexual undertones in it. But I would never be one to force scary on a child that truly was scared either.

It is the people who can find sexual meaning in everything that kinda freak me out. I mean Where The Sidewalk Ends? If you see that in this book you are way more disturbed than my horror habit! People can read anything and if they are twisted enough can find sexual undertones in it. But I would never be one to force scary on a child that truly was scared either.

Well, great. Just great. DS9's book boxes are the only ones that haven't yet been unpacked but now I'm going to have to get in there and find it and read it, interrupting my vegetative time. Thanks a lot. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a goin' huntin'...

There's some potty humor -- but the target audience is elementary kids, and they really like that kind of stuff. I can't remember anything that I'd consider adult, though, and all of my dc have read all of the books numerous times ... aloud, when I'd really prefer silent. :tongue_smilie:

And now I am being serious... This is why I left it at the library. I already struggle with decreasing the amount of potty humor around here (I've got 3 boys), so I didn't want to bring home a book that might encourage it. This is just how it is for my family. :001_smile:

Well, great. Just great. DS9's book boxes are the only ones that haven't yet been unpacked but now I'm going to have to get in there and find it and read it, interrupting my vegetative time. Thanks a lot. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a goin' huntin'...

I AM SO SORRY Good luck on your trip if you are not back by morning shall we call a search and resue team? :D

And now I am being serious... This is why I left it at the library. I already struggle with decreasing the amount of potty humor around here (I've got 3 boys), so I didn't want to bring home a book that might encourage it. This is just how it is for my family. :001_smile:

Sometimes as a parent, you need to do things like that. I still wouldn't call it 'adult' as most adults would just find it immature, but I can't think of a single book that every person I've ever known would find unobjectionable.

:confused: I've heard of people having issues with Maurice Sendak (we don't), but not Silverstein.

:bigear:

Oh, that brings back memories!

I love both authors! But when I taught first grade, I discovered why the students were in a corner snickering over Sendak's book, In the Night Kitchen. One page has the protagonist falling -- a naturale -- naked with his "peanut" showing for the world to see. I had to use white out to draw a "diaper" over the nutty picture. Problem solved. ;)

I used Where the Sidewalk Ends in my classroom as part of a read aloud or listening center. There are a few poems that always would set the kiddos off with the one where the sister is for sale or other silly (funny) poems. But none were explicit or crossed the line for inappropriateness. No clue why some folks think Silverstein's books are banned literature... I love his books!

ETA: If one listened to Shel narrating his poems on tape, they would be delighted to hear his voice! He is silly, scary (when dramatic parts of the poem needed it), and hilarious to listen to. I used to play his poems on my boom box for the whole classroom to listen to on rainy days and they would draw quietly while listening. Many times we would all burst out laughing.

Edited by tex-mex

I AM SO SORRY Good luck on your trip if you are not back by morning shall we call a search and resue team? :D

I'm back! I am happy to know someone was looking out for me. They do always say to tell a buddy where you're going to be! Thanks, buddy!

It was anticlimactic though. Bummer. I did see a naked bum but, alas, it was hairless. None of the pictures were inappropriate or "adult" in any way. I read through a few of the poems and some are potty gross, some are just silly, some are scary. The biggest concern I would personally have about these books would be that the humor might be a bit too dark for a young, sensitive soul. It is definitely an intro to black humor, suitable for children. Someone cooks himself in a stew, someone eats the baby, someone loses his head and sits on it thinking it's a rock...that kind of thing.

ETA: If one listened to Shel narrating his poems on tape, they would be delighted to hear his voice! He is silly, scary (when dramatic parts of the poem needed it), and hilarious to listen to. I used to play his poems on my boom box for the whole classroom to listen to on rainy days and they would draw quietly while listening. Many times we would all burst out laughing.

He is his own best narrator. That's for sure!

Well, there is the story of Abby who wanted a horse so bad ("I'll DIE if I don't get a horse!" or similar) and her parents don't get one for her and she dies! at the end of the poem.

Uncle SHelby's ABZ Book is a bit racier. I know there's something in there about "I is for INK. Do you know what rhymes with Ink? Drink. Guess what you should do with Ink?" (I used quotes, but I'm certain that's not a direct quote). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Shelby's_ABZ_Book

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/16983/bomb-the-ban - this has some information on Silverstein's work being challenged.

If you are a dreamer, come in.

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .

If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire.

For we have some flax golden tales to spin.

Come in! Come in!

In my humble opinion, that level of awesome within the collection is worth tolerating a few hairy butts. Shel Silverstein forever.

We're almost completely through Where the Sidewalk Ends. We've been reading a few poems during circle time every homeschool day. The girls LOVE it. There has not been anything inappropriate in that way, AT ALL. Seriously?! I mean, one kid is trying to sell his little sister, and there's a joking poem about Noah's Ark, stuff like that, that miiiiight bother some very very very strict people, but we adore it. They request "Hungry Mungry" and "Captain Hook" almost every morning and quote "Lazy Jane" whenever possible.

This has been my all time favorite poem since I was in Kindergarten 32 years ago! My mom bought me my own copy of the book for my 30th Birthday! Love it!

Sick *

by Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"

Said little Peggy Ann McKay.

"I have the measles and the mumps,

A gash, a rash and purple bumps.

My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,

I'm going blind in my right eye.

My tonsils are as big as rocks,

I've counted sixteen chicken pox

And there's one more--that's seventeen,

And don't you think my face looks green?

My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--

It might be instamatic flu.

I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,

I'm sure that my left leg is broke--

My hip hurts when I move my chin,

My belly button's caving in,

My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,

My 'pendix pains each time it rains.

My nose is cold, my toes are numb.

I have a sliver in my thumb.

My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,

I hardly whisper when I speak.

My tongue is filling up my mouth,

I think my hair is falling out.

My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,

My temperature is one-o-eight.

My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,

There is a hole inside my ear.

I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?

What's that? What's that you say?

You say today is. . .Saturday?

G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

:w00t::svengo:

Egads! Naked hiney line drawings! What's next in children's literature!?!

;)

Gobblins kidnapping a baby by putting a ladder up to the nursery, then carrying her down and away, leaving a baby carved from ice in the cradle? Poor Ida.

(Outside, Over There)

Come in! Come in!

In my humble opinion, that level of awesome within the collection is worth tolerating a few hairy butts. Shel Silverstein forever.

:iagree: I couldn't agree more. :)

(Big Shel Silverstein fans here)

Come in! Come in!

*love*

Gobblins kidnapping a baby by putting a ladder up to the nursery, then carrying her down and away, leaving a baby carved from ice in the cradle? Poor Ida.

(Outside, Over There)

Everybody knows that Maurice Sendak is the children's Steven King. :tongue_smilie:

I never cared for Shel Silverstein's little sister for sale poem, mostly because I am a little sister, LOL. I could see how someone might take his book "The Big O to be too adult for little kids. Also, The Giving Tree features some arguably adult themes about abusive/manipulative relationships. I detest it and refuse to own it or read it more than once to my kids, but we love Shel Silverstein here.

Just as an aside, when I was still teaching in public school, Black History Month was a HUGE deal (the school was about 98% Black, fwiw). At the assembly one year, there was a Parade of Heroes, where some kids dressed as famous Black Americans, and they came to the stage to give a little biographical speech. I had serious difficulty remaining silent when one kid came up and identified himself as Shel Silverstein!! Afterwards, I spoke with a teacher on the assembly committee, and informed her that Shel Silverstein was not, in fact, Black. She was shocked, and asked me repeatedly if I was sure. :001_huh: She insisted that they had researched all the Heroes, and suggested that I simply must be mistaken, because they would NEVER make a mistake like that! I dropped the matter, but took it up a few days later with another faculty member on the committee.

You know how they determined he was Black? From his photo on the back of Where the Sidewalk Ends!!!! :svengo:

:lol: Yep, this one is a first for me. I can't see anything inappropriate there. I suppose I would need to respect the thoughts of someone who might...but I can't imagine needing to shelter anyone from Shel Silverstein.