Menu

What does the father of the bride wear?

My dd is getting married in July. They are going to pick out tuxes this week. If the groom and groomsmen are wearing tuxes, does the father of the bride usually wear one too?

What about ushers who are not groomsmen? Two of my boys will be ushering, but not will not be groomsmen. Do they wear tuxes or suits? Is is cheaper to rent a tux or buy a suit that a teenage boy will only wear once?

Any BTDT advice is appreciated.

If it makes any difference, it's an afternoon wedding with a finger food reception (no meal). Also, the bridesmaids are wearing tea length dresses.

IDK, I guess whatever the bride wants him to wear. That is how it went when BIL was married with both the fathers.

ETA: They both wore the same pants and jackets as the groom/groomsmen with a white shirt and no tie.

Edited by SJ.

I've seen ushers dress both ways. Teens clean up nice in a tux.;) Sometimes they are cheaper at Pennys than renting unless you want them all the same. If my son had another reason to dress up in his current size I would buy a suit.

At my dd's wedding both fathers wore tuxes as did the ringbearers. The groomsmen served as ushers. The flower girls (my youngest two, wore what amounted to miniture wedding gowns, every bit as nice and as expensive). Both mothers wore back evening gowns even though the wedding was late afternoon into evening.

I don't think I've ever been to a formal wedding where the bride's father was *NOT* wearing a tux. If the groom is in a tux, the bride's dad is in one, too. Brothers of the bride who were not in the wedding party I've seen wearing either a tux or a suit. One of my brothers wore a tux (because he owned one) and the other wore a suit (he was only 13).

We had a small wedding party--only a best man and a maid of honor. My brothers (who were not groomsmen) acted as ushers wearing suits. Both the father of the bride and the father of the groom wore tuxedos.

But it's all pretty much up to the bride and what she wants ;)

Thank you everyone! I'm going to show this to my dd. Most of the weddings we've been to lately have been very small and even the groom has just worn a suit. We haven't been to a large formal wedding in years.

My dad was our pastor so he always has a formal black suit that he wears to weddings. He wore that to walk me down the aisle, and then turned around and married us. It wasn't a tux, but it wasn't just a plain suit either. I wasn't sure what to do for dd's wedding and she wasn't sure either.

:grouphug: in our house, the answer is "a kilt". when oldest was married, dh walked her down the aisle in a kilt. then again, she managed to get the groom into a kilt as well ;).

as a pastor, i did one wedding each weekend for seven years. mostly, the groom and the father of the bride matched, as did the groomsmen. for younger members of the wedding party, they sometimes all matched, and sometimes the younger ones matched one another, but wore something different than the adults.

its roughly $100- to rent a tux these days, and to buy a good one, about $175. but its possible to find them to buy for $100-. how many daughters do you have? ;)

i had great luck on ebay for the mother of the bride dress, and i suspect you could do well for the two younger boys there, as well. recently for another wedding, i looked for tuxes for dh on ebay, but not so much luck. people spend a lot of money buying things for weddings which they only wear once, so the dress i wore was a designer dress i found on line for well over $1000-, and for which i paid $59.

esp. in the afternoon, the difference between a good dark suit and a tux won't be so much....

:grouphug: its quite a process.

ann

It all goes back to kilts. :lol:

:grouphug: in our house, the answer is "a kilt". when oldest was married, dh walked her down the aisle in a kilt. then again, she managed to get the groom into a kilt as well ;).

as a pastor, i did one wedding each weekend for seven years. mostly, the groom and the father of the bride matched, as did the groomsmen. for younger members of the wedding party, they sometimes all matched, and sometimes the younger ones matched one another, but wore something different than the adults.

its roughly $100- to rent a tux these days, and to buy a good one, about $175. but its possible to find them to buy for $100-. how many daughters do you have? ;)

i had great luck on ebay for the mother of the bride dress, and i suspect you could do well for the two younger boys there, as well. recently for another wedding, i looked for tuxes for dh on ebay, but not so much luck. people spend a lot of money buying things for weddings which they only wear once, so the dress i wore was a designer dress i found on line for well over $1000-, and for which i paid $59.

esp. in the afternoon, the difference between a good dark suit and a tux won't be so much....

:grouphug: its quite a process.

ann

At our wedding it was only a bridesmaid and a best man. The flower girl didnt show up and the ringbearer was N. My dad married us. I WANTED everyone to wear tuxes, but the budget didnt allow, so they wore Black pants with red shirts and a white tie.

A nice suit. That's all he needs to wear. Not a tux, just a nice suit.

Most of the weddings we've been to lately have been very small and even the groom has just worn a suit.

I've been to several weddings where the men in the bridal party wore nice suits. I always liked that approach, and the suits can be worn again.

A tux or a dark suit. Technically speaking, if it is a daytime wedding, black tie should not be worn. If it is a black tie event, traditionally all the men who attended the wedding wore tuxedos. Obviously, that is not the case any longer but it does seem strange to see some people in khakis or jeans when the groom is wearing a tuxedo.