Menu

Just for fun--Does anyone make some disgusting food item b/c of tradition?

Dh is making Easter Cheese. (Where's the barfing smiley?)

It's basically eggs and milk, S&P, boiled together and then hung in cheese cloth overnight, sqeezing now and then. You take it down and eat it cold, sliced.

OMG, it's gross.

But he makes it every year, b/c he likes it and b/c it's a family (his, obviously) tradition.

Anyone else make stuff that maybe only one person likes, just because of tradition?

BTW, he makes pickled eggs, too. (That's eggs pickled in beet juice, onions, and sugar.) At least they are pretty. :tongue_smilie:

Mustard Gravy.

Oddly enough it is actually good, but when I describe it to people they look for their barfing smiley.

It is basically a white sauce flavored with a little bit of mustard. Then you put chopped hard boiled eggs in it and serve it over toast. It has been our traditional Easter breakfast since before time began.

I do not like deviled eggs, but I will make them for the family. The worst part is peeling the eggs since we buy them fresh. It is a lot of work to end up with a good looking platter. :ack2:

OMG - DH thinks it can't BE a holiday without deviled eggs. I agree :ack2:.

Now, see, I like green bean casserole. The kind with the french fried onions on top and cream of mushroom soup? Yum! DH hates it. *Hates* it LOL

I think the OP, with her Easter Cheese, wins. The description sounds, um, yuck. I've never even heard of it, what area is he from?

Chrismas and thanksgiving my dad makes shoo-fly pie. It's from Pennsylvania apparently. Basically it's molasses in a crust with weird powdery crust on top. Soooo old school. It doesn't taste disgusting, it is the name that always grossed me out because it actually looks like a pan full of smooshed flies.

Pig's head for Christmas (nicknamed by me, Figgy Piggy).

"Chocolate meat" for most holidays. This has nothing to do with chocolate. It is a blood pudding.

Balut (boiled duck egg with duck embryo in it).

All of these traditions are from dh's Filipino family.

Oh. My.

You win, Jean.

:lol:

Dh is from Pennsylvania and the Easter Cheese is Czech or Slovak --"Cidak" is the "foreign" name of it.

I have to say we also have nut roll and a slightly sweet bread (Poska) that IS yummo!

Since my whole family loves green bean casserole, it's not gross here. lol Tho I have been working on subbing fresh steamed beans or at least the cut green beans.

And I grew up taking pickled egg sandwiches for lunches. :) A couple years back I even was craving some pickled beets and bought beets and canned them. Don't think my kids would try the pickled eggs tho. lol

Oh. My.

You win, Jean.

:lol:

Dh is from Pennsylvania and the Easter Cheese is Czech or Slovak --"Cidak" is the "foreign" name of it.

I have to say we also have nut roll and a slightly sweet bread (Poska) that IS yummo!

:iagree: Jean wins! :tongue_smilie: Then again, I'm not quite sure what Chris means by S&P. :lol: All I can come up with is sausage and peppers, which doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing it's something else ...

every Thanksgiving since I can remember, my family served up cranberry sauce (I think it's sauce) plopped down straight from the can, with the ridges of the can clearly showing. I think my dad took a cursory slice sometimes, usually it sat untouched, on its side, on a plate.

Every Thanksgiving, until I was grown. My mom started cooking more healthy after I was married and I guess my dad and stepmom realized no one eats it and stopped.

it was just weird.

:iagree: Jean wins! :tongue_smilie: Then again' date=' I'm not quite sure what Chris means by S&P. :lol: All I can come up with is sausage and peppers, which doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing it's something else ...[/quote']

Oh, just salt and pepper! lol

I make Watergate salad, not because of any tradition, but because I like it. :D but that would probably qualify as disgusting food (I do use unsweetened, freshly whipped cream because Cool-Whip is definitely not food).

Otherwise, we have a ban on disgusting food. Because it's disgusting. Heehee.

Mustard Gravy.

Oddly enough it is actually good, but when I describe it to people they look for their barfing smiley.

It is basically a white sauce flavored with a little bit of mustard. Then you put chopped hard boiled eggs in it and serve it over toast. It has been our traditional Easter breakfast since before time began.

I grew up eating that at least once a month before the next paycheck hit. We called it creamed eggs on toast. :D

I hate potato salad but I make because people always say it is the best potato salad they have ever had.

I hate devilled eggs, too, but DH makes them and everyone else loves his.

I love chopped liver but never make it. I really should.

I have no desire to be in the same room with lutefisk, for any reason, ever. Yet inexplicably some people around here look forward to the annual Sons of Norway feed like it's a great feast. It's survival food, people. The kind of food you eat when you're so hungry that you'll eat shoe leather. (Personally, I would eat shoe leather FIRST ahead of lutefisk. But I digress.)

I do not like deviled eggs, but I will make them for the family. The worst part is peeling the eggs since we buy them fresh. It is a lot of work to end up with a good looking platter. :ack2:

You are a better woman than I. I hate deviled eggs (and boiled eggs in general), and I refuse to make them even though they're a family tradition on Christmas Eve. Right now my mom still makes them every year, and since two of my dds love them, I'm sure one of them will continue the tradition when she's ready to give it up. But it's skipping this generation. :tongue_smilie:

every Thanksgiving since I can remember, my family served up cranberry sauce (I think it's sauce) plopped down straight from the can, with the ridges of the can clearly showing. I think my dad took a cursory slice sometimes, usually it sat untouched, on its side, on a plate.

Every Thanksgiving, until I was grown. My mom started cooking more healthy after I was married and I guess my dad and stepmom realized no one eats it and stopped.

it was just weird.

I really like canned jellied cranberry sauce. I don't mind the can ridges, but I always slice it so it doesn't look like a jellied can in a dish. :D

Pig's head for Christmas (nicknamed by me, Figgy Piggy).

"Chocolate meat" for most holidays. This has nothing to do with chocolate. It is a blood pudding.

Balut (boiled duck egg with duck embryo in it).

All of these traditions are from dh's Filipino family.

Blood sausage makes me :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :eek:!

Dh thinks it's just not Christmas without it, and makes huge batches of it. Even *I* don't have enough cats to hide all that blinkin' sausage. :glare:

I make Watergate salad, not because of any tradition, but because I like it. :D but that would probably qualify as disgusting food (I do use unsweetened, freshly whipped cream because Cool-Whip is definitely not food).

:iagree:

One of the first skills my older sister taught me was making whipped cream. I only eat Cool Whip if I'm forced to--to be polite. Blech. It tastes like sweetened puffed grease.

Otherwise, we have a ban on disgusting food. Because it's disgusting. Heehee.

This thread makes me want to throw up. :glare: We don't purposely make foods that the family hates--for any reason. Although everyone likes sauerkraut except for ds9, so he gets overruled. He usually just eats the brats and potatoes. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Every family get together I make the deviled eggs.

I just read the title and then the quote to dh. He said "did you write that?" :lol:

I make some extreme high fat/high calorie things only at holiday time, as well as things kids won't touch (but adults like). I don't think there's anything flat out disgusting, though.

My mom has a cookie recipe she makes every Christmas. It's a complicated recipe, takes a long time to prepare and makes a billion cookies. They are yucky. But people have been humoring her for a good fifty years in the endeavor and so the tradition lives on.

Think of me tomorrow. We're having Easter dinner at my ILs. I need to call and ask what I can bring that will go with purple squid or whatever the culinary centerpiece is this year!

You are in my prayers.....

Twice a year we go to dh's family. On C hristmas, there is roast pork, on Easter, ham. I am Jewish...soooooooooooo......I bring chicken:D

Blood sausage makes me :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :eek: :ack2:

Dh thinks it's just not Christmas without it, and makes huge batches of it. Even *I* don't have enough cats to hide all that blinkin' sausage. :glare:

GAH!!!!!! BLECH!!!! I'll send over a few cats to help. :tongue_smilie:

I am only admitting it here but I don't like Irish soda bread (well, I have had it once or twice where I have liked it). I don't make it but it is at every ceili (dance) or Irish event we attend and I just really don't like it. Shhhhh! I think it might be sacrilege to actually admit that.:D

That's great Pam! You are the only other person I have found who has ever even heard of it.

I don't think it's that uncommon? When I grew up in Maine, we called it egg gravy.

ETA: found it on allrecipes as "creamed eggs" and "creamed eggs on toast."

Edited by hana

Every year at New Years my FIL's mom made his black eyed peas with pig ears. When she passed that unfortunately was passed to me. I make it for them but make him find and buy the ears and then sit grossed out while they chowder down:tongue_smilie:

You are in my prayers.....

Twice a year we go to dh's family. On C hristmas, there is roast pork, on Easter, ham. I am Jewish...soooooooooooo......I bring chicken:D

Filipinos break every Jewish food law there is. . . pork (Figgy Piggy), blood (chocolate meat). . . I'm sure there are a few insects and other things that are on the menu somewhere;) Let's just say that their food tastes are eclectic. But they won't starve if there is a Zombie Apocalypse!

I am only admitting it here but I don't like Irish soda bread (well, I have had it once or twice where I have liked it). I don't make it but it is at every ceili (dance) or Irish event we attend and I just really don't like it. Shhhhh! I think it might be sacrilege to actually admit that.:D

I don't know if it's sacrilege, but I do like Irish soda bread. My Philistine family is on your side!