Menu

Corelle dish shattered/injury resulted

I used to sell dinnerware. Tons of it. I also handled the returns when people were unhappy with it.

I recommend porcelain dishes, which are very durable, due to being fired at very high temperatures, and they are dishwasher and microwave-safe. These dishes were rarely returned.

Dishes that were returned regularly due to dissatifaction with the product: Earthenware and glazed stoneware. They are beautiful to look at, until you start to use them. Earthenware develops little cracks over time, and glazed stoneware starts to show scratches on the surface (from utensil use).

I used to sell dinnerware. Tons of it. I also handled the returns when people were unhappy with it.

I recommend porcelain dishes, which are very durable, due to being fired at very high temperatures, and they are dishwasher and microwave-safe. These dishes were rarely returned.

Dishes that were returned regularly due to dissatifaction with the product: Earthenware and glazed stoneware. They are beautiful to look at, until you start to use them. Earthenware develops little cracks over time, and glazed stoneware starts to show scratches on the surface (from utensil use).

Is there a specific brand of porcelain that you would recommend? I think the Fiestaware and Pfaltzgraff dishes may be glazed stoneware and earthenware but I'm not sure. The fiestaware are durable but weigh a ton.

and glazed stoneware starts to show scratches on the surface (from utensil use).

:iagree: This would be why we replaced our first set of dishes. While sturdy, they look like we took a knife and gouged the plates. Which is exactly what we did.:tongue_smilie:

We now have corelle and that is exactly how our one plate broke. Into a million tiny shards of plate.

I'm sorry this happened to your DD. I am so glad that when it happened here, it was me. I was rinsing a bowl in the sink, barely dropped it while washing it and close to the bottom, and it just shattered everywhere. It happened at my moms as well, and this post has just pushed me to get rid of it. I keep saying i need to get new dishes.

I absolutely LOVE my Williams Sonoma pantry collection. They are white, heavy and you can even put them in the oven. They ARE a bit heavy and bulky, but well priced for us.

I also have some smaller plates and bowls from a restaurant supply store. I just NEED me some WHITE dishes LOL

These are the ones I have:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1660372/?pkey=ctabletop-new&cm_src=hero

The pasta bowls are SO great. And the dinner plates have a nice lip to them to contain sauces. I agree abuot the porcelain being supperior

Edited by 425lisamarie

We had/have Pfatzgraff since we got married. I do appreciate that when it breaks it's pretty easy to clean up. However, we did find it chipped pretty easy. Most of my plates have chips out of them. I would still use them but we always had to be careful not to grab where the chip was.

Our pattern has long been discontinued and so we decided to just buy new Fiesta ware because it was cheaper than any used/replacement options we found on the Pfatzgraff. I have to say the Fiesta Ware has stood up MUCH better than the Pfatzgraff. We have only had one dish break and it was just as easy to clean up as the Pfatzgraff however there has been so many times when something was dropped that I KNEW it was going to break except that it didn't. I have a 3 and a 5 year old so our dishes get dropped alot. I've been really pleased with the durability of Fiesta Ware.

:iagree: Plus, my dh puts our porcelain china into the oven all the time & it's fine. (I know that's probably not recommended use, but it's reality.) We've had our china almost 20 years, use it every day, multiple times a day, & it still looks new.

:iagree: Plus, my dh puts our porcelain china into the oven all the time & it's fine. (I know that's probably not recommended use, but it's reality.) We've had our china almost 20 years, use it every day, multiple times a day, & it still looks new.

What brand and pattern do you have?

We've had Pfatzgraff Juniper for 20 years and I still love it. Of all the dishes we have, we've had 2 plates chip and one bowl crack. And almost no scratching.

What brand and pattern do you have?

We've had Pfatzgraff Juniper for 20 years and I still love it. Of all the dishes we have, we've had 2 plates chip and one bowl crack. And almost no scratching.

Arzberg Joy (Arzberg is a German manufacturer of porcelain.)

We've had a couple of chips over the years & had two (I think) plates break, but really no scratching or wear marks.

We had/have Pfatzgraff since we got married. I do appreciate that when it breaks it's pretty easy to clean up. However, we did find it chipped pretty easy. Most of my plates have chips out of them. I would still use them but we always had to be careful not to grab where the chip was.

Our pattern has long been discontinued and so we decided to just buy new Fiesta ware because it was cheaper than any used/replacement options we found on the Pfatzgraff. I have to say the Fiesta Ware has stood up MUCH better than the Pfatzgraff. We have only had one dish break and it was just as easy to clean up as the Pfatzgraff however there has been so many times when something was dropped that I KNEW it was going to break except that it didn't. I have a 3 and a 5 year old so our dishes get dropped alot. I've been really pleased with the durability of Fiesta Ware.

This has been our experience exactly. I would never buy Pfaltzgraff again. It chipes easy and it had tons of silverware markings. My fiestaware has been banged, dropped, etc. and I have had no chips and none have broken!! I am amazed!! We have had out fiesta Ware for 2 years. I have never gone this long without a broken dish! lol

Arzberg Joy (Arzberg is a German manufacturer of porcelain.)

We've had a couple of chips over the years & had two (I think) plates break, but really no scratching or wear marks.

Those are beautiful!

Oh, that is horrible to hear! We have corelle dishes and I never that they shatter. I love them because they are so lightweight. I cannot stand heavy dinnerware. Are Pfatzgraff lightweight too?

I would consider our Pfaltzgraff mid-weight. Not as light as Corelle, but there are certainly heavier dishes. Oh, btw, we got most of ours at the Pottery in Williamsburg for almost nothing. Is that big ol' barn still there?:001_smile:

ETA: Ok, it was a long time ago. Maybe it wasn't called the Pottery and maybe it wasn't in Williamsburg. It was a cluster of big warehouse-type buildings with a lot of stuff in them!

I may be the only one who has had real issues with Pfaltzgraff. Yes, they chip and scratch easily, but ours also had the glaze crack. Brown lines all over the ishes. In the microwave, the plates got so hot it was scary. (It happened quickly too!) They are off my list.

Oh, btw, we got most of ours at the Pottery in Williamsburg for almost nothing. Is that big ol' barn still there?:001_smile:

ETA: Ok, it was a long time ago. Maybe it wasn't called the Pottery and maybe it wasn't in Williamsburg. It was a cluster of big warehouse-type buildings with a lot of stuff in them!

Just drove up that way with my mom a couple weeks ago. The Pottery Factory is still there but undergoing a massive face lift. To the point that on Rt-60, I thought the Pottery was gone and something new was in it's place. It did not look open at all.

Is there a specific brand of porcelain that you would recommend? I think the Fiestaware and Pfaltzgraff dishes may be glazed stoneware and earthenware but I'm not sure. The fiestaware are durable but weigh a ton.

I don't recommend any particular brand. I do have lots of white porcelain from Crate&Barrel, Sur La Table, Target and a few other other places that I mix together. They get their porcelain from a variety of vendors. I mainly look for well made pieces in shapes and sizes that I like, keeping in mind that thin ridges, corners, and other decorative details are more prone to chipping.

Speaking of Fiestaware, it is actually a bit more durable than other dishes of its type, due to the way they make it. My MIL has it and loves it. It's too heavy for me though. I hate putting away the dishes at her house.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by slackermom
typo

I have been very happy with our Pfaltzgraff dishes. They are heavier and when they break it is into large pieces. They do not shatter.

:iagree: We had a similar situation about 10 years ago, but I think it was a bowl and not a plate. I got rid of everything and replaced it with Pfaltzgraff from one of their outlet stores

Just drove up that way with my mom a couple weeks ago. The Pottery Factory is still there but undergoing a massive face lift. To the point that on Rt-60, I thought the Pottery was gone and something new was in it's place. It did not look open at all.

Cheryl, I noticed you are in Cary. Have you been to the Vietri outlet in Hillsborough? :001_wub:

I replaced all our corelle about a year and a half ago with Fiestaware and I LOVE it.

I bought a rainbow of colors and love my stuff. We have scarlet, tangerine, sunflower, shamrock, Peacock and Plum as well as an extra set in turquoise, white and black. We use the shamrock, plum, scarlet, peacock and sunflower most because those are each person in our families favorite colors, so we each have our own color coded dishes. LOL

Fiesta is china. It is rather heavy though.

I asked my family what they wanted and everyone was in favor of Fiestaware. As soon as I can figure out where to buy it (has to be online) and what colors we want I will place the order. As far as the weight issue, we can switch dishes and pantry foods to that we don't have to lift the dishes as much. Thank you so much for your input!

P.S. We are still finding shards of corelle glass from the bowl-shattering incident the other day.

I asked my family what they wanted and everyone was in favor of Fiestaware. As soon as I can figure out where to buy it (has to be online) and what colors we want I will place the order. As far as the weight issue, we can switch dishes and pantry foods to that we don't have to lift the dishes as much. Thank you so much for your input!

P.S. We are still finding shards of corelle glass from the bowl-shattering incident the other day.

Macy's often has buy one get one deals.

My mom loves her Fiestaware. Enjoy!

(I finally looked at mine...it's Lenox Butler's Pantry).

I bought all of mine online at this site http://www.megachina.com/ and they had great customer service and awesome prices. The items were also packaged really, really well.