Menu

Makeup counter

I am looking to have someone give me makeup advice. My face is aging and looking dull. I'd like to go to one of those makeup counters in department stores and "get my face done" to see what they recommend and to get a foundation that matches my skin color. What is a good brand? Where do I start?

Beth

I would try to go to Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, or a MAC store, if there's one near you. Those stores have higher-than-average standards about hiring and customer service, and their clientele (at least at the first two) trends a little more mature/sophisticated than the usual Macy's/Sephora shopper (you know, kids going to prom, young brides on their wedding day, etc.). They will treat you with respect, listen to you, and make you look tasteful, not trendy or "done up."

I find that going to a more moderately priced department store makeup counter normally ends badly for me ... they're usually staffed by young, badly trained girls who don't have the first clue about what a woman in her thirties or older needs or wants. If you don't have the more upscale options near you, though, Sephora can be a great resource ... it's just a little hit-or-miss with the skill of their sales associates.

As far as brands ... I have used Stila Illuminating powder foundation, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, and NARS stick concealer for years. I'm totally satisfied with all three. I switch around when it comes to blush, lipstick, and eye makeup ... but those three are my 'holy trinity' of foundation.

Good luck!

I am looking to have someone give me makeup advice. My face is aging and looking dull. I'd like to go to one of those makeup counters in department stores and "get my face done" to see what they recommend and to get a foundation that matches my skin color. What is a good brand? Where do I start?

Beth

I did this very recently, and went to the Estee Lauder counter. Their demographic is more my age.

I am loving Estee Lauder's new BB Daywear cream. It is, essentially, a tinted moisturizer, but has far more benefits than a simple tinted moisturizers.

The key with older skin is "less is more." Less foundation is better because it doesn't sit in your lines and wrinkles. Tinted moisturizers are great for that. Also, they were telling me to go with more matte eyeshadows, only using a shimmer as a highlight. I do think it looks better, softer and more flattering than the ones with more sparkle. Another thing they recommended was to go with a natural pink-toned lipstick or gloss. That was another excellent piece of advice and I really get a lot more compliments since I've been using those tips.

I would definitely recommend the Estee Lauder counter, but go to a more sophisticated department store (as someone else mentioned upthread), not Sephora (which I call the teen terror make-up counter).

Edited by Audrey

Go to Sephora if you have a store near you. If not, MAC. Forget about the department store make-up counters....those girls won't know how to help you find what you really need. Nordstrom is another good choice, too.

Or an Ulta store. I think the lighting in those stores is better than the department stores.

I have a Macy's nearby and an Ulta at the same location. I have a sister who uses Clinique - my concern also is the fresh out of high school makeup girl who has no idea what works for the over 40 crowd. What would an Ulta do vs. the Macy's department store counters? I have never done this and had a mom who never wore makeup, have friends who never do this - this really is unknown territory.

Beth

I have a Macy's nearby and an Ulta at the same location. I have a sister who uses Clinique - my concern also is the fresh out of high school makeup girl who has no idea what works for the over 40 crowd. What would an Ulta do vs. the Macy's department store counters? I have never done this and had a mom who never wore makeup, have friends who never do this - this really is unknown territory.

Beth

I would go to Macy's over Ulta. At the Estee Lauder counter I went to (this was at The Bay), there was a woman in her mid-40's and a gentleman around mid to late 30's. Both were very helpful. :001_smile: The woman did more make-up, and the gentleman helped more with skin care. I didn't fell pressured to buy, although they offered lots of samples to try. It felt, to me, that they worked more as a team, rather than at some other places where it seems that they are working on commission and competing against the other clerks.

Edited by Audrey

If you go to Ulta, go on a day they have a rep from one of the premium cosmetic lines there. They're very helpful. I was in Ulta this week and the woman from Smashbox was there. She was young, but not fresh-out-of-highschool young.

I did swing by Macy's to get the Clinique bonus and all the women there were over 40, one by a lot! And, the last time I went to Sephora, the lady who helped me was in her 60's. So, they aren't all young women who won't "get" what we "old folks" need. ;)

If you go to Ulta, go on a day they have a rep from one of the premium cosmetic lines there. They're very helpful. I was in Ulta this week and the woman from Smashbox was there. She was young, but not fresh-out-of-highschool young.

I did swing by Macy's to get the Clinique bonus and all the women there were over 40, one by a lot! And, the last time I went to Sephora, the lady who helped me was in her 60's. So, they aren't all young women who won't "get" what we "old folks" need. ;)

I went to my Clinique counter today and they told me the bonus was done. Grrrr!

Beth

WEIRD coincidence---- I NEVER, EVER, *EVER* do this, or even wear much makeup, but dd and I JUST did this today! We went to our local Ultabeauty and had a great experience. The Clinique person was great and said that she really loves L'Oreal products; took us over to the L'Oreal section and got us all hooked up-- and after choosing colors of products she took us over to the Clinique counter and used Clinique products in comparable colors to show us how it would look and how to apply it.

Anyway, I'd start by going to an Ultabeauty if you have one near you. It's sort of like a Sephora but a bit bigger.

astrid

You've already gotten good suggestions about where to go, but you might want to look at new skin care products as well as make up. If your skin is looking dull it might be time to change cleanser/toner/moisturizer. I had this problem after having ds - my skin changed a lot and the products I used before just didn't work for me anymore. I imagine skin changes in a less dramatic fashion over time as well.

I have a friend who used to be a National Rep for Lancome, so she has given me her tips and ideas over the years. For color, Lancome is nice. I think their mascara is the best hands down ( Defencils) ) They also have very nice skin care products. Estee Lauder does too. Clinique is lower end. My friend says the skincare products are not as rich as others ( you get what you pay for! ) Laura Mercier is another good one.

I do use Clinique for eye makeup ( eyeliner, mascara, and eyeshadow)because sadly, I have become allergic to other brands, like Lancome, Estee Lauder, etc. If you have any allergies to makeup, Clinique is your best bet.

Another idea is to check out the book at the Library, "Don't go to the Makeup Counter Without Me" . Tis book is full of great tips, brand comparisons, and money saving swaps, when the the quality is found to be equal between a more expensive and less expensive product.

Pay attention to the people behind the counter. How does their makeup look? A friend and I went to a makeup counter once (I can't remember which one). There were two women--one had awful makeup and the other looked great. I picked the one who looked great. I ended up with awful makeup and my friend came out looking great. We figured they must have done each other's makeup for practice. :glare:

I went to my Clinique counter today and they told me the bonus was done. Grrrr!

Did you go to the one at Macy's? It's still going on. Each department store has different times for the Clinique Bonus. If you don't have a Macy's, you can order it online through the Macy's website.

Pay attention to the people behind the counter. How does their makeup look? A friend and I went to a makeup counter once (I can't remember which one). There were two women--one had awful makeup and the other looked great. I picked the one who looked great. I ended up with awful makeup and my friend came out looking great. We figured they must have done each other's makeup for practice. :glare:

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

If you have pink undertones Estee Lauder is great and Bobbi Brown is great for yellow undertones. I have found that Nordstroms typically has the best staff. I find that Bobbi Brown is great for me and it's just a nice natural look.

I like to go in without makeup. I have in some cases wondered how I ever bought the blush or lipstick:glare: so, I always go home and look at myself in natural light before I buy anything; store lighting is different.

My face is aging and looking dull.

Beth, do remember to have a good skin care routine and exfoliate regularly. Foundation can only look as good as the skin underneath it.

Wrinkles aren't typically what make a woman look old, but loss of something called "brightness". Cellular build-up and clogged and enlarged pores can make skin look dim and dull. Young skin renews itself every month. As we get older, the process slows down, so gentle exfoliation will help to scrub away dead cells and leave you with smooth skin.

Nothing beats having facials, but if you can't afford them, you can do so at home. Before thinking about make-up, if you can afford to see a really good aesthetician for as long as your budget allows and as often as your budget allows, you would benefit profoundly.

One of the keys to keeping skin young is regular and gentle exfoliation.

Always be more gentle than you think you need to be! Older skin needs careful treatment. Exfoliate gently.

If you need specific recommendations or more info, let me know. I used to an aesthetician (in a former life). ;)

Funny I was in need of a new foundation and stopped in at the Estee Lauder counter this afternoon. I have never been a big foundation wearer, but at almost 49, I wanted to even out my skin tone. I came home with the new Invisible Liquid foundation and love it. It's really sheer but covered the overly pink tones that show up (I look a little flushed often.) and felt like I was wearing nothing. EL will give you a small bottle that should do you several days to take home and try too.

Just another thought for you--I'm not into makeup but my teen daughter is and recently she had a session with a Mary Kay consultant. She spent two hours with her talking through her needs and preferences and letting her try various skincare and makeup products. (This was at home--not the makeup counter) She came away with products that really are a good fit for her and is very pleased with the results.

Yes to specific recommendations! No one I know even does anything with their face beyond soap.

Beth, here's my info. Hope it helps.

I get facials about once every 6 weeks. They’re much cheaper here :tongue_smilie:.

I love Paula's Choice of skin care products. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

She really researches and knows her stuff. She rates and reviews most products and doesn't push you to buy only her stuff or anything like that. My skin always looks better and feels better when I use her products consistently. My esthetician can tell the difference. Others have complimented me also.

Although I use Paula's Choice, I don't use it very often – maybe two to three times a week, if I'm feeling very disciplined or not lazy, and usually even less than that. I think it's also a bit intentional. I'm trying to limit chemicals.

When I first started with Paula's Choice, I had scaly and dry skin. I cut back on the BHA stuff/exfoliating to just a few times a week and not daily. I also moisturized a bit more. But, most importantly, I only use her BHA gel/exfoliating stuff at night. If I use it during the day, I end up peeling all over the place. I don't know why she suggests using it during the day. :confused:

I don't use the BHA Gel every single night. I'm not always consistent. Besides, I believe in giving my skin a break every few nights.

The purpose of these acids is to remove the dead cell layers which cause loss of skin brightness. They contain salicylic acid which helps with pore problems.

Her products are not excessively pricey. Also, they have trial/sample sizes.

One major thing I love is that her moisturizers can be used as eye creams also. :)

I don't wear make up at all. Just wash my face with water.

The less I do, the better my skin looks overall.

I happen to love exfoliation, however. The Exfolia Cloth is superb. Available from amazon or chinaberry.

Also love using baking soda and water.

Plus, a weekly mask. Sometimes homemade and sometimes not.

For my skin to look good, it's pretty much all about diet. The healthier I eat, the better my skin looks.

The best moisturizers are packed with antioxidants. Get a ripe avocado and gently massage some of the pulp into your face. Allow its oils to penetrate your skin, then remove whatever remains with warm water and blot carefully. If your skin is too oily, rub a little fresh cucumber on it instead.

Evening primrose oil, hazelnut oil, olive oil and safflower oil are also soothing, effective moisturizers. Apply any of these to your face for half an hour, and cover it with a hot, moist towel. Rinse it off with warm water, then seal your pores with cool water.

To revive tired skin each morning, apply cold water all over your face. It will cause your skin to contract, leaving it fresh and tingly, as well as boosting circulation and making you feel energized.

The best way to apply a moisturizer is not to rub, but rather dab and lightly smooth it on, allowing it to be absorbed by the skin.

Always keep in mind that overmoisturizing the skin can impair healing and cell production, so it is important not to overdo!

Exfoliating scrubs used twice a week will help with blackheads and increase brightness. One I really like at the moment is made by DHC. If you use one of the scrubs, the particles should be smooth and feel like sugar in your hand. If they are too big or rough, they can tear skin. Go for a gentle product with a manufactured exfoliant - like micro beads - versus a natural exfoliant like seeds or pits because the rough edges can actually cause little scratches on your skin and cause more damage in the long run than help. This is one time natural is not necessarily better! Use only your ring finger to massage a manual exfoliant on your face as it has the lightest touch - even though it feels so good to REALLY scrub! Remember to always be more gentle than you think you need to be! Always err on the side of babying your skin.

I also really like:

Mary Kay Time Wise Microdermabrasion– the entire Mary Kay line is said to be good

Sephora Microdelivery Peel

I am loving Estee Lauder's new BB Daywear cream. It is, essentially, a tinted moisturizer, but has far more benefits than a simple tinted moisturizers.

I've been looking at this! But does it cover pretty well or is it mostly sheer? I have redness I need covered and most tinted moisturizers don't cover it well.

I did this very recently, and went to the Estee Lauder counter. Their demographic is more my age.

I've bought some Estee Lauder products recently for the same reason, but I won't buy any more because of the heavy fragrances. At first, it was like ummm, this smells like my mom; but the fragrances are irritating and the warm fuzzies wore off pretty quickly.