Menu

For those who have discussed coconut oil here....

You are all pure evil:D! I was reading threads about coconut oil and decided to try it. Whoever mentioned that they put it on toast...you are the most evil! I am never going to be able to not have it in my house again. Someone is going to find me hiding in my pantry devouring jars upon jars of coconut oil. Evil I tell ya!:lol:

Oh, I've switched to it too a while back after reading about how canola oil is used as a pesticide. :001_huh: I love EVOO for my salads and coconut oil for cooking. I haven't put it on toast since I don't eat too much bread but I'll have to try that next time. Don't go TOO crazy though. lol It's still a fat and should be eaten in moderation and not devoured jar by jar. :tongue_smilie:

If you think coconut oil on bread is evil, whatever you do, don't melt a bag of chocolate chips then mix in 1/2 c. coconut oil. And after that, whatever you do, don't drizzle it on vanilla ice cream and wait for it to harden. Yeah, you don't want to do that. :D

Ohhhh, I'm going to not do that tonight~

If you think coconut oil on bread is evil, whatever you do, don't melt a bag of chocolate chips then mix in 1/2 c. coconut oil. And after that, whatever you do, don't drizzle it on vanilla ice cream and wait for it to harden. Yeah, you don't want to do that. :D

:drool5::svengo::tongue_smilie:

This morning I made banana baked oatmeal and instead of butter I used coconut oil. My family is still ooooooohhhhhhing!

Will it be bad to open the container of vanilla ice cream meant for my dd's birthday on Thursday? :lol: I seriously may have drooled a little bit reading your post!

I made bread using coconut oil instead of butter (the recipe I use calls for 3 Tbsp of softened butter) and my bread came out soooo much better. It stayed nice and soft. There is just barely a hint of coconut flavor but not really that noticable!

:lol::lol:

Will it be bad to open the container of vanilla ice cream meant for my dd's birthday on Thursday? :lol: I seriously may have drooled a little bit reading your post!

I made bread using coconut oil instead of butter (the recipe I use calls for 3 Tbsp of softened butter) and my bread came out soooo much better. It stayed nice and soft. There is just barely a hint of coconut flavor but not really that noticable!

I'm sure it would be just as good on strawberry or mint or cookies and cream or . . . .

done this many times! :)

Whatever you do, don't do this! DON'T brown some chicken breast in a pan, shred it, add snow peas, diced red bell pepper and leeks, sprinkle with basil, thyme, and garlic, add coconut oil, throw in a small dollop of honey, and serve over rice or pasta. JUST DON'T DO IT! STEP AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN.... ;)

(This disclaimer brought to you by FaithManor - the woman who could have devoured the entire huge pan of it and NOT shared one.single.bit. with her family.)

Faith

Okay, wow....why did I never think of that? I am usually creative with chocolate. My kids will flip!

My poor family...they are going to have to pry the coconut oil jar from my fingers...an intervention may be needed...

btw...I may or may not try every single recipe that is mentioned....okay, who am I kidding?! I may try them all the same day and eat them all and then have to live on my treadmill for the next month! :lol:

I lost my jar of coconut oil for a week. The kids were kidding that I really needed it if I lost it (brain fog thing). It turns out one of them cleared the table and put it in the fridge!

I was wondering if I should keep mine in the fridge this summer. I had heard it melts at a very low temperature and I don't want it to go liquid in my pantry. Is this the proper way to store it in the hot months, or is the pantry okay?

You just made my day!

I was wondering if I should keep mine in the fridge this summer. I had heard it melts at a very low temperature and I don't want it to go liquid in my pantry. Is this the proper way to store it in the hot months, or is the pantry okay?

Mine is already going goopy on me in my bathroom and it's around 74 degrees probably about now. I'd keep it in the fridge when it gets too hot in the summer.

Wow, I love coconut oil. I like it in my oatmeal and use it to stir fry veggies. I keep a big jar in my kitchen and a small one in my bathroom because I love to use it for my hands in place of lotion. I rub a small amount between my hands until it melts than I rub it in. I also have used it for chapped lips. My daughter has eczema on her hands and they prescribed her a medicine that she had been using but wasn't helping much. I ended up trying the coconut oil on her hands daily and the eczema is now under control. You can't even tell she ever had it.

I know this sounds awful, but I sometimes make chicken nuggets pan fried in coconut oil. The breading has ranch and Parmesan cheese. When the oil cools and all those bits of salty cheese settle at the bottom I like to sneak a few tastes (or more than a few). :D

Ummm, recipe please? :D

If you have only tried CO for cooking/baking you haven't really tried CO. You really must give it as a gift to dh. Just sayin'.

The only bad side effect of this is that every time we get a whiff of coconut, we both get, um, randy :blushing: which is problematic because I use coconut oil in baking, cooking, cosmetics uses, first aid.

LOVE coconut oil! It's a very healthy fat :D I like to pop our popcorn in it. It gives a very subtle sweet taste.

:iagree:Can't agree more. We have popcorn nearly daily now. We even melt more CO and pour it over the top.

Also, try it mixed with raw honey and spread on toast.....

Azure Standard. I can't wait until it arrives. Is it bad that I'm planning next week's menu around coconut oil?

Thanks, I'll look it up! I was at Trader Joe's last night and found a small jar and couldn't resist buying it. Lord have mercy, that is some tasty stuff. I'm all :w00t:

Okay, what coconut oil are you all using that is so tasty? I tried some on toast yesterday, and I just don't get it. It doesn't really taste like anything to me. :confused:

I just bought a jar at the grocery store and it's Louana brand.

I have seen the louana at a local store and wondered if it would be as good as the others too I get Nature's Way from Amazon and it's good but I haven't used to it's full potential though :D by reading some of the posts-want to try it in brownies but just haven't done it yet..... :D

Looking around on the web, it seems Louana is known for being kind of flavorless. I guess I need to get a jar of that Nature's Way.

You ladies are cracking me up!

I have Louana in the house (odorless, tasetless, looks like white lard). My dSIL bought it at Wal-Mart. I just got some jars from Puritan's Pride (their brand). It smells like coconuts and tastes yummy. My girls and I just made some CO fudge and it is cooling in the refrig.

Please post the baked banana oatmeal recipe. And the chicken nuggets.

And, oh, thanks so much for the ice cream topping recipe--NOT! :auto:

You ladies are cracking me up!

I have Louana in the house (odorless, tasetless, looks like white lard). My dSIL bought it at Wal-Mart. I just got some jars from Puritan's Pride (their brand). It smells like coconuts and tastes yummy. My girls and I just made some CO fudge and it is cooling in the refrig.

Please post the baked banana oatmeal recipe. And the chicken nuggets.

And, oh, thanks so much for the ice cream topping recipe--NOT! :auto:

So what should I do with this stuff? Is it still reasonably healthy in recipes where you might not want the coconut taste? Would it be useful to a health conscious person who hates the taste of coconut? I love coconut, but my sister does not.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think I mentioned that I put it on toast. i also melt some with salt and herbs and use it as a dipping sauce for sourdough bread. It is so good that I rarely have it or else I will have too much!

bigMamaBird is evil. Can you believe she typed that out?