Menu

Selective service????

I just heard a commercial on the radio that men must register for selective service within 1 month of turning 18. That's the draft, right? Is it the "law"? What happens if they don't? Is it just for men?

I thought that was long gone with the draft. Does anyone have any information or thoughts on this?

Hot Lava Mama

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no draft at the moment - hasn't been once since Vietnam. However, it is the law that all males must register for selective service upon reaching the age of 18. This is the list that would be used for a draft, should the armed forces ever need it to be implemented.

:iagree: Yep, what she said.:001_smile:

yes it is the law.

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26. You may be denied benefits or a job if you have not registered.

Selective Service System and is applying for any of the following benefits or programs linked to the registration requirement:

• <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; COLOR: black" class=MsoNormal>federal student loans and grant programs <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; COLOR: black" class=MsoNormal>federal job training under the Workforce Investment Act <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; COLOR: black" class=MsoNormal>federal jobs or security clearance as a contractor
  • U.S. citizenship

http://www.sss.gov/Fast%20Facts%20Table.htm

I knew about Selective Service (my dh had to sign up as soon as he became a US citizen), but it had actually slipped my mind as far as ds is concerned (as in, I'm in denial about how soon he will be turning 18!)

The info. quoted said "Living in the US". I guess I'll have to research it, but does that mean US citizens living *outside* the US don't have to register? If not, I would assume they would need to register if they re-establish US residency before turning 26?

Yikes!

I knew about it also, but forgot all about it. My ds has another year (well, 13months).

Sooooo, how *do* they find out. I mean, most 18yos live at home so kids are likely to make one or two moves. THEN, add that parents move, kids move more, etc. I mean, in this day and age, we move A LOT (in general...and my core family in particular it seems). So, how *would* they find my hubby or son? And if they could just do that, then why do they need men to sign up for selective service in the first place? Why not track them through Social Security or Driver's Licenses or something?

Edited by 2J5M9K

It is not so much that they would "find" them, rather it is that: they are ineligible for some loans etc, they are breaking the law, it can impact future employment, signing up for SS is a small consideration given all that the US gives us.

Like what?

If you need ask it is because you would never understand, but there are millions all over this planet who do not need to ask because they understand very well.

I suspect that there are people in Homs at this very moment who understand.

If you need ask it is because you would never understand, but there are millions all over this planet who do not need to ask because they understand very well.

:iagree:Why do you think people are always trying to get into this country?

Just curious if anyone knows if disabilities mean a person does not register? Or do they register as disabled?

I believe it's just a box that gets checked. Last I remember, there is no other options. It's also VERY unlikely that there is any need for it. At this point it's a formality.

I suspect that there are people in Homs at this very moment who understand.

A quick glance at the huge visa lines outside US embassies all over the world would confirm your statement. We routinely saw lines wrap 4 times around the embassy. And these were the people who had appointments to see an immigration officer.

Just curious if anyone knows if disabilities mean a person does not register? Or do they register as disabled?

This website says a disabled person who is capable of moving about in public without assistance must register:

Who Must Register?

Male US citizens (regardless of where they live) and male permanent resident aliens living in the US who were born after December 31, 1959 are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday (30 days before and after). If you fail to register during this time period, you may submit a late registration up until your 26th birthday.

Male non-citizens (including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, seasonal agricultural workers, and refugees) who take up residency in the US before their 26th birthday are required to register. All relevant INS forms (e.g., the application for Resident Alien status, I-485, and so on) include a clear statement regarding the requirement to register.

Dual nationals of the US and another country are required to register regardless of where they live.

Conscientious objectors are required to register. If a draft is instituted, they will have an opportunity to file a claim for exemption based on their religious or moral objections. But they must nevertheless register with Selective Service.

Disabled men who can move about independently in public with or without assistance must register with Selective Service, even if their disability would disqualify them from military service.

Members of the Reserve and National Guard who are not on full-time active duty must register. Men attending the Merchant Marine Academy must register. Men who attempt to enlist and are rejected before reaching age 26 must register.

I knew about Selective Service (my dh had to sign up as soon as he became a US citizen), but it had actually slipped my mind as far as ds is concerned (as in, I'm in denial about how soon he will be turning 18!)

The info. quoted said "Living in the US". I guess I'll have to research it, but does that mean US citizens living *outside* the US don't have to register? If not, I would assume they would need to register if they re-establish US residency before turning 26?

Yikes!

The website I quoted above says all US citizens and dual nationals regardless of where they live must register.

Typically you sign up when registering to vote, drivers licences, and FAFSA/student loans.

As Nicoleandco mentioned, the FAFSA verifies that a male student has registered with selective service.

It's important to know that failing to register can hamper a student's ability to receive financial aid, matriculate at some state colleges and universities and renew their driver's license, among other things. It's not something you want to ignore.

I'm not stupid. I "understand" things.

I've met plenty of people who came here and were pretty surprised at how NOT wonderful this place can be.

I truly want a better explanation for your claim that this is the greatest show on earth.

I don't think anyone should be forced to fight in a war if it is against their convictions. I mean, would you REALLY want anyone fighting for you if they didn't want to?

If this country is truly so awesome, then I don't see a need for things such as forced registration for selective service. People should be lining up to do it on their own.

I agree. Totally apropos to nothing here, but I wish there was an international citizenship exchange. I would totally swap passports with someone from Canada, Germany, maybe Australia. But alas, it costs several hundred dollars to surrender U.S. citizenship, so you know, it's not like it's easy to get out.

I think you can even register at the Post Office. It's very simple.

If memory serves, there is a box to mark as "concientious objector" for those such as Quakers or Mennonites that are a part of a faith based group that is against militaries.

Faith

Yes you can pick up the postcard at the post office. Many forms ask if you have registered.

I'm not stupid. I "understand" things.

I've met plenty of people who came here and were pretty surprised at how NOT wonderful this place can be.

I truly want a better explanation for your claim that this is the greatest show on earth.

I don't think anyone should be forced to fight in a war if it is against their convictions. I mean, would you REALLY want anyone fighting for you if they didn't want to?

If this country is truly so awesome, then I don't see a need for things such as forced registration for selective service. People should be lining up to do it on their own.

Well first while I do believe that the US is the greatest nation on the planet and the freest that is not what I said in my post. I simply stated that the US gives us incredible freedoms.

As to why there should be a SS, surely you understand the need for a nation to have information on her manpower pool. SS is simply a list of potential soldiers. Today thousands of our best and bravest have lined up, just as you suggest. Tragically thousands of them have also given both life and limb in the service of our nation. I may be bold enough to suggest that they understand what the US means and what she is.

You mention people who came here and found out that the US was not to their liking. They have the freedom to leave, no one will stop them, there are no walls.

I might ask you a question, how many nations have you visited? How many nations have you lived in? How many of these have been totalitarian? Have you lived in places where the sight of a military or police uniform can cause a paralyzing fear? Have you been in a place where your property can be seized for no reason beyond that fact that the local government official likes it? Have you been in a place where the conviction of a family member or friend can lead to your "disappearance" ? Have you been in places where a question such as the one you posted would lead to arrest, probably torture and at best a lengthy prison sentence? Have you ever been in a place where having the president's picture hanging in your house is almost a necessity? Do you even know places like this exist?

The fact that none of the above need concern you, that you will never need to fear the sight of a US military uniform is just one of the many gifts that the US has given to you and just one of the many many reasons that registering for SS is an honor.

Well first while I do believe that the US is the greatest nation on the planet and the freest that is not what I said in my post. I simply stated that the US gives us incredible freedoms.

As to why there should be a SS, surely you understand the need for a nation to have information on her manpower pool. SS is simply a list of potential soldiers. Today thousands of our best and bravest have lined up, just as you suggest. Tragically thousands of them have also given both life and limb in the service of our nation. I may be bold enough to suggest that they understand what the US means and what she is.

You mention people who came here and found out that the US was not to their liking. They have the freedom to leave, no one will stop them, there are no walls.

I might ask you a question, how many nations have you visited? How many nations have you lived in? How many of these have been totalitarian? Have you lived in places where the sight of a military or police uniform can cause a paralyzing fear? Have you been in a place where your property can be seized for no reason beyond that fact that the local government official likes it? Have you been in a place where the conviction of a family member or friend can lead to your "disappearance" ? Have you been in places where a question such as the one you posted would lead to arrest, probably torture and at best a lengthy prison sentence? Have you ever been in a place where having the president's picture hanging in your house is almost a necessity? Do you even know places like this exist?

The fact that none of the above need concern you, that you will never need to fear the sight of a US military uniform is just one of the many gifts that the US has given to you and just one of the many many reasons that registering for SS is an honor.

:iagree:

I have lived in a country where homeschooling was illegal. I have lived in a country where there was no clean water, and the only water many people had access to at all was a filthy brown color and smelled of sewage. I have lived in a country where I had to climb to the roof to get a good look at the soldiers marching past to see if they were loyalists or insurrectionists in the current coup attempt.

I have voluntarily worn the uniform of the United States military because what we have is worth fighting for. It's wonderful when there are enough people who will volunteer to protect freedom, but there may again come a time when volunteers aren't enough--and those who sit around enjoying its blessings will need to stand up and defend what they have taken for granted.

I agree. Totally apropos to nothing here, but I wish there was an international citizenship exchange. I would totally swap passports with someone from Canada, Germany, maybe Australia. But alas, it costs several hundred dollars to surrender U.S. citizenship, so you know, it's not like it's easy to get out.

I would LOVE to start an organization to help fund this for those who wish to get out. It would be one-way, no exceptions. I think it is actually a great idea! Def better for the country and those who want to be here.

Edited by Lisbeth

:iagree:

I have lived in a country where homeschooling was illegal. I have lived in a country where there was no clean water, and the only water many people had access to at all was a filthy brown color and smelled of sewage. I have lived in a country where I had to climb to the roof to get a good look at the soldiers marching past to see if they were loyalists or insurrectionists in the current coup attempt.

I have voluntarily worn the uniform of the United States military because what we have is worth fighting for. It's wonderful when there are enough people who will volunteer to protect freedom, but there may again come a time when volunteers aren't enough--and those who sit around enjoying its blessings will need to stand up and defend what they have taken for granted.

Thank you so much for your service. I make sure my children understand just why they live in freedom and safety- our strong military keeping back threats.

Okay, what is the purpose?

It doesn't help them find you if there is a draft.

It isn't like they couldn't just use the DMV, ss, or irs anyway.

It is something every male must do, not something they are choosing to.

So why sign up?

It was a compromise to help get rid of the draft, and is something that really serves little purpose now.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would LOVE to start an organization to help fund this for those who wish to get out. It would be one-way, no exceptions. I think it is actually a great idea! Def better for the country and those who want to be here.

I agree! I want to get out before it becomes illegal to surrender citizenship altogether. Someone else can have to joy of dealing with the IRS, the partisanship, the never-ending wars, the decline of education and educated citizenry, etc.

I agree! I want to get out before it becomes illegal to surrender citizenship altogether. Someone else can have to joy of dealing with the IRS, the partisanship, the never-ending wars, the decline of education and educated citizenry, etc.

This going to come across as snarky but....Why are you still here than?

Doesn't Germany have a conscripted army? That seems a lot more invasive than filling in an online form.

It was a compromise to help get rid of the draft, and is something that really serves little purpose now.

Kind of like the penny.:)

Many European countries had mandatory military conscription until fairly recently (2001 for France and 2011 for Germany). I do not know how easy it was to avoid--but I do remember as an exchange student (waaay before 2001!) meeting young men on their way to 6 months of military service.

This going to come across as snarky but....Why are you still here than?

Because to do it legally means it costs a lot of money to make an international move, requires a lot of time and preparation, and also requires that both of us can find jobs. Depending on where we go, it may also mean that we have at least a working knowledge of a second language.

We are working on all three steps. Canada's processing time right now for permanent residency is about a year. It's three years for citizenship. Then, it's about $500 a person in our family to go to the Embassy, give them our official "I quit America" notice, and surrender our citizenship.

Cool. Maybe you can find someone in Sudan that would like to change places with you.

I think you can even register at the Post Office. It's very simple.

If memory serves, there is a box to mark as "concientious objector" for those such as Quakers or Mennonites that are a part of a faith based group that is against militaries.

Faith

Just for the record, that doesn't stop you from serving in national service in a time of the draft. It means you will serve in a civil or humanitarian position.

Almost all countries have a form of the draft in times of grave emergency. The ones that don't are countries where anarchy reigns. They are not nice places to live. Many countries still have conscription.

LOL! You think Canada and Germany don't pay taxes!? Germany has fabulous roads. They are paid for via use taxes through taxing gasoline. That is why they pay almost twice as much for gas as we do in the US. And, btw, *all* of the men are *required* to serve time in the military, or at least they were when we lived there.

Doesn't Germany have a conscripted army? That seems a lot more invasive than filling in an online form.

Yep, at least when we lived there.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Because to do it legally means it costs a lot of money to make an international move, requires a lot of time and preparation, and also requires that both of us can find jobs. Depending on where we go, it may also mean that we have at least a working knowledge of a second language.

We are working on all three steps. Canada's processing time right now for permanent residency is about a year. It's three years for citizenship. Then, it's about $500 a person in our family to go to the Embassy, give them our official "I quit America" notice, and surrender our citizenship.

Well, I guess I have to admire you then. ;) Since you hate being a citizen of the United States so much, at least you are actively trying to get out.

Wish more people would do that!

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I completely agree. :001_smile:

Yes, but have you talked to the German people recently? They're pretty uncomfortable with anything smacking of military aggression, or even, just really strong words. They're terminally embarrassed for WWII.

In any case, Germany's not my first choice, especially since it takes 7 years to become a citizen there. Also, the SS isn't the main, or even a top reason, for why I want to high tail it out of the States. It's merely a rotten cherry on top of a really disturbing sundae. I just mentioned us wanting to leave in response to Wendy's post about her being skeptical regarding whether the US is actually the best place to live anywhere on the whole planet earth.

I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Living in other countries has done wonders for increasing our patriotism. So glad to be American despite all the problems.

Yes, but have you talked to the German people recently? They're pretty uncomfortable with anything smacking of military aggression, or even, just really strong words. They're terminally embarrassed for WWII.

Some of them are like that. Others are not.

Well, I guess I have to admire you then. ;) Since you hate being a citizen of the United States so much, at least you are actively trying to get out.

Wish more people would do that!

It's not a matter of hate. It's a matter of "I don't trust this government not to get even more handsy with my freedom." It used to be that you could leave the country and not have to pay a dime. Now, you have fork out money, plus go through an interrogation that you aren't leaving just to avoid taxation, and have all your paperwork, etc., lined up just so.

There may not be physical walls, but financial and psychological barriers to leaving? YES.

Some of them are like that. Others are not.

Well, are they all gung-ho for fighting like we are? I just don't get that impression for some reason. In any case, as I said before, the SS is not the main reason for why I want to leave. And Germany's not my first choice. Canada is.

And before anyone says it, if someone cites Canada's conscription service as a reason for not going, I should just like to point out that I fully endorse and support the NHL.

Okay, what is the purpose?

It doesn't help them find you if there is a draft.

It isn't like they couldn't just use the DMV, ss, or irs anyway.

It is something every male must do, not something they are choosing to.

So why sign up?

Well, I can tell you what I think my boys will do, assuming that, at 18, they still hold to the convictions that dh and I have been teaching them since their birth...

They will register for SS. We do not participate in government except for obeying laws that do not cause us to sin. We are also pacifists. So, they will register, but they will note that they are conscientious objectors.

If they were to be drafted, they would serve in whatever capacity they were put in, so long as it did not cause them to sin. Which means, they would not kill, nor would they aid in killing, nor would they train to kill. I understand that if one can 'prove' their case as a CO, then they are supposed to be put in a non-combat duty. Now honestly, I have no idea how often that actually happens. So if the government were to decide that my boys did not 'qualify' for CO status, and therefore put them in some duty that caused them to go against their convictions (and therefore sin), then my boys would not obey those orders. And they would be prepared to suffer whatever consequences that meant.

Well, are they all gung-ho for fighting like we are? I just don't get that impression for some reason. <snip>

I believe you are making very broad (and possibly unkind) generalization of people. That's a dangerous thing to do. There are lots of American pacifists and hawkish Europeans. Maybe even hawkish Canadians. I understand you aren't happy in the United States but I don't believe this is an appropriate place to air those thoughts. If I was living in Germany and hated it, I wouldn't continue on about it here for the sake of people that do love it and live there. It's offensive and unnecessary.

I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Living in other countries has done wonders for increasing our patriotism. So glad to be American despite all the problems.

That's great. I don't begrudge anyone for staying. Really. I just don't get rude or snarky comments from other patriotic Americans. On one hand, as a liberal, I regularly read and hear comments that my ilk is responsible for destroying the fabric of society, inflicting gay values on everyone, spreading abortion and welfare from coast-to-coast, yada, yada.

But, when I say, "Hey! I'm leaving for shores more resonant with my personal values!"

I get the, "You despicable person, you! Why do you hate your country so much? This is the best place in the world. We don't have dictators here you know! You shouldn't want to leave, but anyway good riddance!" response.

I would think that most folks who don't like my position would be genuinely happy and pleased I'm taking myself, and my liberal vote, out of the country!

I believe you are making very broad (and possibly unkind) generalization of people. That's a dangerous thing to do. There are lots of American pacifists and hawkish Europeans. Maybe even hawkish Canadians. I understand you aren't happy in the United States but I don't believe this is an appropriate place to air those thoughts. If I was living in Germany and hated it, I wouldn't continue on about it here for the sake of people that do love it and live there. It's offensive and unnecessary.

To the bolded: Why?

There are others on this same thread 'airing their thoughts' about how great the US is. How many freedoms we have, and how they believe the military is responsible for securing and/or maintaining those freedoms for US citizens.

So why is this an 'appropriate place' for supporters of the US/the US military to share their opinions, but not Aelwydd?

I suspect it's because you do not agree with her. I also suspect it's because she holds a minority view on the subject.

But I'd be very interested in hearing YOUR reasoning as to why this is not an appropriate place for her to state her opinion/viewpoint.