Menu

I am seriously thinking about getting rid of my front load washing machine.

I don't see your point? :confused: Unless you are referring to my removing the drawer (which I don't always do)? That takes me about 5 seconds, which again I don't see that as a lot of work.

I'm glad you love your machine, and I'm glad I love mine. ;) My clothes have never been cleaner. My friend who borrowed my machines for a while was very surprised that my LG even got out old baby stains.

I know, I get it! I just hate that with front loaders you have more work to do. I already have enough work to do! I don't need any extra steps to keeping my washer clean.

I know, I get it! I just hate that with front loaders you have more work to do. I already have enough work to do! I don't need any extra steps to keeping my washer clean.

I'm glad to spend less time buying clothes because mine now last forever.

For me, a 10 second wipe sopping up the water at the bottom of the seal and leaving the door open is the "more work" I do.

I miss my old, non-HE top loader, too. When my awful FL dies, I am going back to a top-loader. In fact, DH sometimes tells me we should go ahead and buy another washer (we have two hookups in our house--it was once used as a duplex). I think that's a great idea!

I absolutely have to leave the door open between loads. WIDE open. Or else we're in trouble. In fact, I need to scrub the nasty rubber gasket out with a scouring pad very soon--it's been a little too long.

Really yucks me out to be washing my children's clothes in that monster.

I'm glad to spend less time buying clothes because mine now last forever.

For me, a 10 second wipe sopping up the water at the bottom of the seal and leaving the door open is the "more work" I do.

Ok, I seriously doubt they last forever! ;) It is funny how seriously we all take our washer/dryers!

Honestly with 6 people in the house and another on the way, the faster laundry is to do, the better. :001_smile:

I would never, ever, ever go back to a top loader! I have a 12-year-old Kenmore front loader, and don't do anything special to take care of it-- no wiping, special loads, etc, and there is no problem with odor. I do run oxyclean in most loads, just because my kids are kinda messy. But my clothes definitely sat longer and we use less water with the front loader.

I used oxyclean with wash loads in my last one, and it NEVER stank. (I did leave the door open to dry out.) I didn't do anything else, and the oxyclean boosted my detergents cleaning power.

eta: I used costco HE liquid. now with a new machine a tech told dh to only use powder, so that has changed as well. no smell problems though.

I love front loaders. I use a half and half powdered detergent 7th generation and Oxyclean powder, with a bit of vinegar in the rinse cup. This fixed all smells. I think the secret is POWder, not liquid, and I'm happy to use a product that comes in a cardboard box rather than a plastic container.

Top-loaders are the exception here (most people have their washer under the kitchen counter) and I was wondering why we don't have the same stink problems. This seams to be the answer. Everyone uses powder detergent.

I've never hear of Fisher. Yes, mine is an LG. It's only 3 years old now. :tongue_smilie:

Fisher Paykel is a New Zealand brand that has been around for eons, they have been in Australia for many years, but I think that they have only moved into the US market in the last 10 years or so, the dishdrawer was what propelled them into the US market. We are on our 2nd FP top loader, we only got rid of the first one because we were moving countries and they were cheaper here, plus our family had grown and we wanted a bigger one, it was still going strong after 15 years. The new one is 6 years old and has never missed a beat.

I got a front loader a year ago and have never had problems with odor. I use liquid detergent, but the door is always left open a few inches when not in use and I use white vinegar about 3-4 times a week with various loads. I do laundry every day so there's never a day when it's not in use unless we're gone.

What I do like about it are the cost savings and large load sizes. I hate pretty much everything else about it. The cycle times are long. There's no quick spin cycle (just rinse and spin) and that's a 30 minute cycle. Sometimes I just want to spin the water out of something and it's useless.

I don't think this washer cleans stinky clothes as well as my top loader did. If someone has missed drying a load in time it's terrible about getting the sour smell out, even if the odor is mild. My top loader had no problem with that but I have to run them through twice with vinegar to get the job done. Sometimes I just want to fill the washer up and give something a good soaking and there's no good option with this.

The Whirlpool model I have also has had a problem with small loads--it does okay with heavy items like jeans but if I want to do a fleece blanket or jacket I have to add towels to make the load heavier or else it won't spin out the water.

I'll be getting a top loader for sure next time around.

Ok, I seriously doubt they last forever! ;) It is funny how seriously we all take our washer/dryers!

The clothes now last so many years I've lost count. I think my work dresses, which I wear and wash about every other week, are going on their 9th year.

I spent my young adult years using laundromats, which had huge front loaders. When I finally got old enough to have one myself, I was shocked at how the clothes got frayed and got little holes. After more than 10 years of rentals, I got my own house, and an early Maytag f.l. (which I had no trouble with) and now my clothes last years and years.

I have the real secret to making the laundry whiz by ... as the years have passed, I've gotten hubby to slowly take over. ;)

I love my front loader. The clothes come out so much cleaner, and take hardy any time to dry, and I think I use less chemicals now.

Leaving the door open is not optional, though. It MUST stay open.

Additionally, about every 4 or 5 months I put some bleach in there and run the "Clean Washer" cycle.

But that's it. As long as the door is open, no issues. It only needs to be open about 3 inches or so.....

Hate, hate, hate front loaders. I don't miss mine AT ALL!!!

We got a Maytag Neptune when they first came out. It was a lemon that never really worked well and I hated it. No way to add something you just found that should go in the load, made very strange noises (like a plane taking off) and broke down frequently.

What did you replace yours with?

The cheapest no frills washer available from Best Buy, which has been lightyears better than the grossly expensive Maytag Neptune, and which has lasted longer too!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We just got a cheapy top load washer and matching dryer. Could. not. be. HAPPIER!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D Love doing laundry now.

:D Me too. OK, well, I could be happier if there were no laundry to do at all.

I have a 5 year-old Kenmore FL HE washer that has never had a problem with odor. I leave the door closed, but not latched, and I use bleach, in a load of whites, probably every 1.5-2 weeks. I have used homemade laundry soap (which did NOT clean our clothes) and Tide. I also leave a load in overnight, sometimes. No stinkies.

We have hard water. Do you think that could make a difference?

I don't really remember my front loader smelling - I hated it for other reasons (see above! :)). We have really hard water here - there could be a connection.

Top-loaders are the exception here (most people have their washer under the kitchen counter) and I was wondering why we don't have the same stink problems. This seams to be the answer. Everyone uses powder detergent.

You can't use powder detergent with hard water - it doesn't dissolve. Or at least, that was our experience.

I think the Tromm is higher end then my bottom level LG. :001_smile:

mine was an LG Tromm and it still had the stink issues. I had to have them come for a repair around year 2 and was completely grossed out when they had to scrape down the area between the tubs which was full of mold. IT WAS NASTY!

I see someone mentioned that Fisher Paykel is from New Zealand, and they make awesome products. When I first got mine I wanted to know if I had to use HE detergent or not and got an email back within 10 minutes saying I could use up the HE stuff I had, but then could use HE or Not whatever my preference was.

I also love that my FP is direct drive, which means no transmission to go out. That's what had to keep being repaired on my LG and when it finally went the 5th time I gave up and bought the FP. I also have to say that any time I called LG service it was HORRIBLE.

I've skimmed the replies, but I didn't notice if anyone mentioned the temperature of the water used for laundry loads. It seems that so many are using cold water for their loads. I use only hot and warm, as well as sanitize for whites. I sometimes wonder if the trend toward cold water washes is partly to blame for smelly washers. I've never had a problem with mine -- a Samsung (I do leave the door open and pull the detergent drawer open between washes...I wipe the seal periodically, but I'm not fanatical about it....and I do the clean washer cycle periodically).

We got a Maytag Neptune when they first came out. It was a lemon that never really worked well and I hated it. No way to add something you just found that should go in the load, made very strange noises (like a plane taking off) and broke down frequently.

Hey, I had the first model, one repair in 12 years (the latch), and I loved the airplane noise. I especially loved how the cats would freeze and just listen, where ever they were until they adjusted. My ex used to call out "Tray tables in the upright position!" I finally left it when I moved. Ahhh, memories.

I've skimmed the replies, but I didn't notice if anyone mentioned the temperature of the water used for laundry loads. It seems that so many are using cold water for their loads. I use only hot and warm, as well as sanitize for whites. I sometimes wonder if the trend toward cold water washes is partly to blame for smelly washers. I've never had a problem with mine -- a Samsung (I do leave the door open and pull the detergent drawer open between washes...I wipe the seal periodically, but I'm not fanatical about it....and I do the clean washer cycle periodically).

Hmmmm - I also use only warm or hot water and I've not had the stinky issues either. Maybe you have something there....

Hate, hate, hate front loaders. I don't miss mine AT ALL!!!

:iagree::iagree: We did find that as long as we used powdered Tide or Melaleucca we were OK with the smell, but I still did not like my front loader we always had some sort of issue with the stupid thing. The repair man visited our home regularly for about 7 years:glare: We bought an older used regular agitator machine and have been very happy:D A major part went on it and it cost us $15 for the part and my dh was able to fix it himself with a little help from youtube:tongue_smilie:

Hmmmm - I also use only warm or hot water and I've not had the stinky issues either. Maybe you have something there....

Same here. I am curious to see if there is some common factor to the stinky front-loader issue. I'd never heard of the problem until after we bought ours. I read about it here and my FIL told me about it. I kept waiting (and sniffing :lol:) and worrying that the washer and clothes would start reeking. Thankfully, that day never came.

I sometimes wonder if the trend toward cold water washes is partly to blame for smelly washers.

I only use warm or hot as well, but still had the stinky washer issues. Part of my issues could have been because mine was made/bought before they started putting those cleaning cycles on the washers or recommending that you do that or use those cleaning tablets they sell now.

I also had the Maytag Neptune and problems with stinky clothes. I tried everything recommended but nothing worked. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and we got rid of it a few years ago. I couldn't be happier.

OP, the only thing that worked for me was ditching the machine and buying a different one.

Hey, I had the first model, one repair in 12 years (the latch), and I loved the airplane noise. I especially loved how the cats would freeze and just listen, where ever they were until they adjusted. My ex used to call out "Tray tables in the upright position!" I finally left it when I moved. Ahhh, memories.

When dh and I were researching the Neptunes online, that was the same thing we heard over and over: half the people's machines broke ALL. THE. TIME, and the other half's were fine. There must have been 2 batches or something.

I've never had clothes come out stinky from my front loader. I have a Whirlpool Duet and have had it for about 10 years. I've used everything from home made detergent to Melaleuca to Tide and they've come out fine. I do wash towels and bedclothes on the sanitary cycle, but everything else is on warm or cold.

Could it be your water?

OH, and if you're wanting a top-loader, I hear the Whirlpool Calypso is a good one. It's also a high-efficiency, but not a front-loader.

I've never had clothes come out stinky from my front loader. I have a Whirlpool Duet and have had it for about 10 years. I've used everything from home made detergent to Melaleuca to Tide and they've come out fine. I do wash towels and bedclothes on the sanitary cycle, but everything else is on warm or cold.

Could it be your water?

OH, and if you're wanting a top-loader, I hear the Whirlpool Calypso is a good one. It's also a high-efficiency, but not a front-loader.

I used to have a Calypso (shudder). It was awful. Please, please do not buy a Calypso! I've (mostly) mentally blocked the memory, but dirty clothes and mold/mildew under the "flippy" thing come to mind. We replaced it with the LG Tromm. What a change!

I love the sanitary cycle for our towels.

I could not get rid of mine fast enough! We could actually smell each other in my house. It was terrible. I probably do 3 loads a day so I need a large capacity. I bought a top loader without an agitator, stainless steel drum, water level sensor and I love it. I'm at work and have no clue what kind it is, sorry. I still have the front loader dryer, it doesn't make me as angry. :001_smile:

We use HOT water and Cl bleach at least a few loads a week for dh's lab coats + other whites . . . Maybe that is the magic.

Ours doesn't smell. I almost never wipe out the gasket or the drawer. We use about a teaspoon of Ecover washing powder per load. Once a week, I run a very hot wash (90 degrees) with our white towels in it. I don't use bleach (we have a septic tank). The other loads I run on cold. I have a teenage boy in the house and our clothes don't smell.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I used to have a Calypso (shudder). It was awful. Please, please do not buy a Calypso! I've (mostly) mentally blocked the memory, but dirty clothes and mold/mildew under the "flippy" thing come to mind. We replaced it with the LG Tromm. What a change!

I love the sanitary cycle for our towels.

LOL, I called my friend who has the machine and I got it wrong. It's the CABRIO that she has, not the Calypso. And, she loves it. Consumer reports rates the Cabrio pretty high. Sorry for the confusion.

After reading all 8 pages. I'm come up with an action plan.

1. dump some borax into the thing.
  2. Add 5 gallons of hot water.
  3. run it on the heavy cycle using hot water.
  4. Check to see if smell is gone.
  5. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
  6. If this doesn't work, blow the thing up and tell hubby I'm happy with a cheaper upright model!:lol:

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the black-ish mold on the rubber seal?? They've already replaced the seal once and it was back in about 3 months.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the black-ish mold on the rubber seal?? They've already replaced the seal once and it was back in about 3 months.

Is it really mold or just a black discoloration left after the mold is gone. Exhubby left my Maytag closed while I was out of town, and I easily got the mold off, but it looked a little vitiligenous after that.

I got a green scouring pad and attacked it with that. I sprayed it with bleach and water first, then just used plain old elbow grease and the scourer. I went back and forth to the sink many times to rinse it out (mine was exceptionally bad) and then scrubbed some more. The scouring pad didn't seem to hurt the rubber seal.

Well now, this is an interesting thread, seeing as though dh and I just bought a washer/dryer set YESTERDAY to be delivered TOMORROW!

I am tall (5'9"), so when we went looking for a new washer/dryer, the agitator-free top loading was what I had in mind (I had a Maytag Neptune the first year they came out, but then we moved to a house that was electric but the Neptune was gas, so we sold it. I never had it long enough to have the mildew smell problems, but I've heard a lot about it. Since then, we've continued to use the 17yo Maytag we never got rid of when we got the Neptune. Long story.). However, the salesman told me that the top-loading machines, while they wash well, will never be able to get the clothes as clean as a front load just by the shear mechanics of the machine. Because it's upright, the water sink to the bottom. While the drum will move the clothes around, not all of them will get enough time washed in the water. However, a front loader is tipped on its side with the clothes constantly tumbling with the water. That made sense to me, so we ended up with a front loader. The salesman did tell me to leave the door open, if possible, to reduce the mildew smell. So, I appreciate this thread with the added tips. I don't think wiping out the rubber ring will be a big deal to me. We did get the pedestals, too, to help with my height (a front loader without the pedestals for someone 5'9" is definitely an issue). So, I'll be curious to see how this works. I must admit, after this thread I'm a little nervous, wondering if I should have stayed with my first thought of the top-loading (agitator-free).

Curious - how long does it take for the smell to start? A couple of months? A couple of years? Right away? Fwiw, we got a Bosch 300 series.

I think it depends on the set, the brand, etc. We bought a front loader when they were first coming out in the stores (at least around these parts), right around 2002 or so. It was a Kenmore. I had the same exact problems as the OP. Then about 5 years later the drum cracked and that was the end of the front loader for me.

My IL's have the Duet and love it. They have no problems as I had.

As for me, I have had a top loader ever since our front loader broke and will never get another front loader.

Well, I primarily use cold water and don't have odors or black on the seal.