Menu

I am seriously thinking about getting rid of my front load washing machine.

I am sick of it. It always stinks. I leave the door cracked so it will air out. I wipe it out. I use drum cleaners. I drain it. I've used bleach. I use vinegar in stinky loads.

My dh's and one of my puberty kid's clothes are stinky even with vinegar and dryer sheets. Any suggestions?

can you leave the door open? We never shut ours. We heard so much bad press that we put foam "bumpers" on the outside of the door so it doesn't scob up the wall, and we leave it open all the time. The efficiency of the washer is wonderful, and we wouldn't trade it for anything.

I try, but people come behind me and shut it. I could put up a sign. Either way I'm tired of stinky clothes.

I am sick of it. It always stinks. I leave the door cracked so it will air out. I wipe it out. I use drum cleaners. I drain it. I've used bleach. I use vinegar in stinky loads.

My dh's and one of my puberty kid's clothes are stinky even with vinegar and dryer sheets. Any suggestions?

I've never had any problem with my front-loader smelling. I do try to remove the drawer (where you put in the detergent, etc.) after each load and let it drain in the sink. I have to wipe that area every now and then or it gets a little gunky. I also leave the door open all the time.

For underarm smell, I spray a mixture of vinegar and water on the problem area. Sometimes I change the setting to extra dirty.

I almost always set the washer for extra water.

Hope you find something that will get rid of the smell.

I hear you. I hate mine too. I'm not having a stink issue, but mine has had ongoing door latch and door seal (leaking) issues. And if I wash a small load of just a few items, it can't manage to spin them out and leaves them sopping wet. When we move in a couple of years, it's not coming with us. I'm going to replace it with an HE top loader, like a Cabrio.

I can only suggest that you may possibly be relieving those of us with 17 yr old washers who were suffering from washer envy before your post.:D I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure it's small consolation for you.

I love front loaders. I use a half and half powdered detergent 7th generation and Oxyclean powder, with a bit of vinegar in the rinse cup. This fixed all smells. I think the secret is POWder, not liquid, and I'm happy to use a product that comes in a cardboard box rather than a plastic container.

You might consider trying Amway's laundry products. I've had my front loader for about 7 years now, never leave the door ajar, never have trouble with any odors, always have clean, clean clothes.

:iagree:

I use Meleleuca laundry products. Have had my front loader for close to nine years and never had a problem with oders.

Does it have a rubber seal around the drum that could be catching small items? I knew it from the start and have rescued many small socks from in there, but I check it often enough that I never have a oder problem.

I try, but people come behind me and shut it. I could put up a sign. Either way I'm tired of stinky clothes.

Ours was always left open and is STILL zmelled.

We replaced ours with MIL's junk. Dh didn't want to buy another since ours worked fine. i took mil's when she had to enter a nirsing home. I wish this piece of junk would die but it is going strong. I much prefer this junk to the front loader.;)

According to more than once source, the stink is from an excess of soap/detergent which builds up inside the washer (yeah, and maybe mildew, too). Use less soap. Use vinegar to help rinse the excess soap out. But what has really made a difference for me (after I bleached mildew away in that rubber gasket) is to use Borax in the "powder detergent" cup. 1/4 to 1/2 cup. It is marvelous! I suppose it is helping to rinse the excess soap out of the washer:):001_smile:

Everything smells clean, including the washer.

Sandra

I live in the UK now and my front loading machine stank. There is no choice, it goes in my kitchen next to the sink. Dishwasher is on other side. Anyway hubby did some research we ran a couple of bleach loads and leave it completely open every night and the smell was gone in about a week. I also check for socks etc frequently. I use soap that looks kind of like a dishwasher tab. I think they have something similar in US now-- tide maybe. You just put it in with your clothes. It works great.

Smelly Washer http://www.smellywasher.com/

Last year, I was ready to replace ours because not only had the towels become smelly when we used them, my husband accidentally washed a couple of rags that had non-flammable paint thinner on them. I couldn't do anything to get the smell out, including taking apart everything I could to clean and using all the usual commercial cleaners. I tried this stuff and it was fabulous. After talking to them online, I filled the washer (no clothes) and poured an extra 5 gallons or so of hot water through the place where you add detergent (since you can't open the door), along with the recommended amount of the cleaner. The extra water is to let the cleaner soak into the splash zone above where the washer usually fills. I let it soak overnight and it worked wonders. I did have to do it twice to get everything out.

Between this, occasional touch-ups with the cleaner, leaving the door cracked, and using only a tablespoon of detergent per load, we've gone almost a year with no more problems. They also have the best customer service I've ever seen. You can order it through Amazon or find it at ACE hardware stores. Much cheaper per use than the cleaners from Tide, etc.

I hated mine too. I tried many of the things mentioned here but none worked for me. I finally had someone recommend Affresh tablets which you can get on Amazon (probably other places too but that's where I got them). They worked pretty well and kept the smell at bay. I think I used three the first time and then about once a month.

The thing that frustrated me was that I could be really vigilant about wiping the rubber thing and try all the different cleaners but really the last thing I needed was to have to spend extra time cleaning my washing machine.

We have a top loader now and I like it much better.

I can only suggest that you may possibly be relieving those of us with 17 yr old washers who were suffering from washer envy before your post.:D I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure it's small consolation for you.

Yep. My washer is 23 years old and I'm hoping it keeps going until all the problems with front-loaders are worked out.

I don't understand why people have this problem.

I never had it with my Maytag FL, and I never have it with my LG FL.

I never leave the doors open, and I don't do any special cleaning. A couple times a year I wipe down the rubber gasket and try to wipe down things I can get to just b/c they get linty and embarrassing, but not b/c they smell. Ever.

My clothes come out super clean. Super dry. Very gentle on clothes, too, w/o the agitator to twist things up. Huge things (couch covers, comforters, etc) go in no problem.

I <3 <3 <3 front loaders. I would never go back.

Maybe it's because we do SO MUCH WASH that there is no time for bacteria to grow?

We use HOT water and Cl bleach at least a few loads a week for dh's lab coats + other whites . . . Maybe that is the magic.

So why don't the top loaders get stinky? The repair guy told me that they were now the same system as a front loader, but tipped up, rather than being built like an old agitator washer. Why don't they get stinky?

No rubber gasket. I love the top loader HE.

No front loader for us - The appliance that is supposed to save you time, for which you paid a premium price, shouldn't make you do EXTRA work to perform well. JMHO

Edited by bookfiend

No rubber gasket. I love the top loader HE.

No front loader for us - The appliance that is supposed to save you time, for which you paid a premium price, shouldn't make you do EXTRA work to perform well. JMHO

:iagree: I'll probably have to try all of the suggestions, but I really want a top loader now.

If I can save you my appliance pain I'm glad.

I never leave the doors open, and I don't do any special cleaning. A couple times a year I wipe down the rubber gasket and try to wipe down things I can get to just b/c they get linty and embarrassing, but not b/c they smell. Ever.

My clothes come out super clean. Super dry. Very gentle on clothes, too, w/o the agitator to twist things up. Huge things (couch covers, comforters, etc) go in no problem.

I <3 <3 <3 front loaders. I would never go back.

Maybe it's because we do SO MUCH WASH that there is no time for bacteria to grow?

We use HOT water and Cl bleach at least a few loads a week for dh's lab coats + other whites . . . Maybe that is the magic.

I do a TON of wash. I don't use bleach except when I'm trying to get the stinky out. I wonder if those of you that have stink-free FLs the answer is bleach.

Top loaders spoiled Americans; you can definately leave clothes in them for 24 hours or longer without a smell.

I'm pretty sure I've left mine overnight and they've still smelled fresh the next day (which I thought was surprising.)

I always wonder when I read this threads, which brands are causing the problems.

I have an LG that I love. I do always keep the door open (after researching here before I bought). And I recently had noticed a smell (after 3 years) but I ran the tub clean cycle and it took care of it. I hardly ever wipe out the gasket, and when I do - there's really nothing gunky there. My soap dispenser never gets gunky either.

I agree that caring for a front loader shouldn't be a lot of work. I also think one should be able to keep the door shut, especially since many people have a laundry closet where you can't shut the closet door when the washer door is open.

I wonder if where the washer is located could also be a factor. In both places we've lived, the washer was located in an air conditioned laundry room.

After the first couple of months I hated mine too. I replaced it about 2 years ago with a Fisher Paykel top loader (ecosmart model) and LOVE it! It cleans the clothes really well and I don't have to worry about stinky gaskets and drums anymore. It spins the clothes just as well so my awesome Fisher Paykel TOP load dryer takes no more time to dry them. I really love my dryer, it loads on top, no stooping to reach stuff, no door I the way, and it scrapes its own lint filter and puts it in a small bucket that I empty every 5-10 loads.

ETA: someone asked about if some models have more issues than other. Mine was an LG, they didn't it a cleaning cycle in mine and didn't have tub cleaners and the like until mine was over 3 years old. I celebrated when just before it turned 5 it died.

Edited by nukeswife

After the first couple of months I hated mine too. I replaced it about 2 years ago with a Fisher Paykel top loader (ecosmart model) and LOVE it! It cleans the clothes really well and I don't have to worry about stinky gaskets and drums anymore. It spins the clothes just as well so my awesome Fisher Paykel TOP load dryer takes no more time to dry them. I really love my dryer, it loads on top, no stooping to reach stuff, no door I the way, and it scrapes its own lint filter and puts it in a small bucket that I empty every 5-10 loads.

ETA: someone asked about if some models have more issues than other. Mine was an LG, they didn't it a cleaning cycle in mine and didn't have tub cleaners and the like until mine was over 3 years old. I celebrated when just before it turned 5 it died.

I've never hear of Fisher. Yes, mine is an LG. It's only 3 years old now. :tongue_smilie:

A long time tide user, I switched to homemade laundry detergent. What a difference. I also splurge on Arm and Hammer Total 2-in-1 Dryer Cloths. These wet dryer cloths have eliminated any lingering odors. The only place I can find them is at CVS. But, quite often, they have them on sale b1g1. I don't have any more problems with my front loader.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We just got a cheapy top load washer and matching dryer. Could. not. be. HAPPIER!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D Love doing laundry now.

I had an old avocado green washer & dryer set for the first 8 years of my marriage. They worked like a charm. Bought the set for $100 back in the day. Sigh.

I've never had any problem with my front-loader smelling. I do try to remove the drawer (where you put in the detergent, etc.) after each load and let it drain in the sink. I have to wipe that area every now and then or it gets a little gunky. I also leave the door open all the time.

For underarm smell, I spray a mixture of vinegar and water on the problem area. Sometimes I change the setting to extra dirty.

See, to me, this sounds like waaaaaay to much extra work. I want to do my laundry. Period. Not wash out my washer and pre spray all of my clothes that may or may not stink.

I love my top load!

So if you use bleach weekly does your FL stink or not?

I have a 5 year-old Kenmore FL HE washer that has never had a problem with odor. I leave the door closed, but not latched, and I use bleach, in a load of whites, probably every 1.5-2 weeks. I have used homemade laundry soap (which did NOT clean our clothes) and Tide. I also leave a load in overnight, sometimes. No stinkies.

We have hard water. Do you think that could make a difference?

I have a 5 year-old Kenmore FL HE washer that has never had a problem with odor. I leave the door closed, but not latched, and I use bleach, in a load of whites, probably every 1.5-2 weeks. I have used homemade laundry soap (which did NOT clean our clothes) and Tide. I also leave a load in overnight, sometimes. No stinkies.

We have hard water. Do you think that could make a difference?

We have hard water with some iron in it from our well. Could the iron be causing the smell?

So are older model front-loaders possibly stinkier than newer models?

Mine is a Kenmore Elite front loader that we bought in 2002.

Maybe they've refined the design since then, but mine is really stinky. :glare:

I leave the door open always. It's in an air conditioned laundry room. I never leave laundry in it overnight. Still, the washer stinks, and so does my laundry. :confused:

See, to me, this sounds like waaaaaay to much extra work. I want to do my laundry. Period. Not wash out my washer and pre spray all of my clothes that may or may not stink.

I love my top load!

I'm a little confused. I don't find pushing a button to be a lot of work. ;)

I don't wash out my washer; about once a month I spend 1-2 minutes rubbing the drawer area with a paper towel. I only prespray stinky underarm areas; I would do that no matter what machine I used.

I love my LG Tromm!

I don't wash out my washer; about once a month I spend 1-2 minutes rubbing the drawer area with a paper towel. I only prespray stinky underarm areas; I would do that no matter what machine I used.

I love my LG Tromm!

I think the Tromm is higher end then my bottom level LG. :001_smile:

You originally said this:

I love my LG Tromm!

:001_smile:

I do a TON of wash. I don't use bleach except when I'm trying to get the stinky out. I wonder if those of you that have stink-free FLs the answer is bleach.

I have never had any smell, and I never use bleach. Someone mentioned the laundry room having airconditioning. My laundry room is the mud room (first floor) and gets the same heating/airconditioning as the rest of the house. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

You originally said this:

:001_smile:

I don't see your point? :confused: Unless you are referring to my removing the drawer (which I don't always do)? That takes me about 5 seconds, which again I don't see that as a lot of work.

I'm glad you love your machine, and I'm glad I love mine. ;) My clothes have never been cleaner. My friend who borrowed my machines for a while was very surprised that my LG even got out old baby stains.