Menu

I didn't realize it would be so impossible to find women's hiking boots.

So since I've lost all this weight and have been walking outdoors more, I wanted to expand on that. I recently took my 11 y/o daughter on a two mile hike through the woods and we enjoyed it and want to do it more often. I did find myself thinking hiking boots would have been better for it than my sneakers since we were walking over some rocky areas, had to cross over a stream (so I want something waterproof) and so on and by the time I got home I felt like I came thisclose to the start of blisters on my feet.

I just browsed the websites for Kohl's, Payless, and a sporting goods store in my area. Apparently women have almost no options. They get a basic non-waterproof hiking shoe and then some cutesy boot looking things that seem more fashion than practical, and sneakers.

Men get about 100 different good hiking boot options, quite a few of them water proof and very practical. I'd be happy to just get a pair of men's boots but they all seem to start at sizes that would be too big if I go by what they're showing me online.

Where do I go for something fairly sturdy but on the lighter weight side and water proof? And I really don't want to spend over 100 dollars either, I was hoping for something in the $60 range at most (I did see plenty of sales in that range for the men)! I'm afraid to buy online because I want to be able to try them on.

What about hiking sneakers? I think Lands End has them.

REI is a great place to go, too, as is LL Bean. I think it's easier to go to a bm store than online, tho--you want them to fit just right. I have wide feet, and can't shop online for anything. :tongue_smilie:

Cabelas has nice ones and they last.

www.cabelas.com

Oh this is perfect!! There's a Cabelas 30 minutes from me, and I just looked at their site and they DO have a good selection for women including some waterproof ones in my price range. These might be good:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Womens-Footwear/Womens-Hiking-Boots-Shoes|/pc/104797980/c/104790780/sc/104383980/Cabelas-Womens-Backcountry8482-Hikers/1154402.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101218%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797980&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797980%3Bcat104383980

I'll have to go there and look around!

Thanks!! :)

Oh this is perfect!! There's a Cabelas 30 minutes from me, and I just looked at their site and they DO have a good selection for women including some waterproof ones in my price range. These might be good:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Womens-Footwear/Womens-Hiking-Boots-Shoes|/pc/104797980/c/104790780/sc/104383980/Cabelas-Womens-Backcountry8482-Hikers/1154402.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101218%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797980&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797980%3Bcat104383980

You can spend the day in there. My kids love the fish tanks, the animals and the plane hanging from the ceiling. On the way to Hershey, that is our stop.

So since I've lost all this weight and have been walking outdoors more, I wanted to expand on that. I recently took my 11 y/o daughter on a two mile hike through the woods and we enjoyed it and want to do it more often. I did find myself thinking hiking boots would have been better for it than my sneakers since we were walking over some rocky areas, had to cross over a stream (so I want something waterproof) and so on and by the time I got home I felt like I came thisclose to the start of blisters on my feet.

I just browsed the websites for Kohl's, Payless, and a sporting goods store in my area. Apparently women have almost no options. They get a basic non-waterproof hiking shoe and then some cutesy boot looking things that seem more fashion than practical, and sneakers.

Men get about 100 different good hiking boot options, quite a few of them water proof and very practical. I'd be happy to just get a pair of men's boots but they all seem to start at sizes that would be too big if I go by what they're showing me online.

Where do I go for something fairly sturdy but on the lighter weight side and water proof? And I really don't want to spend over 100 dollars either, I was hoping for something in the $60 range at most (I did see plenty of sales in that range for the men)! I'm afraid to buy online because I want to be able to try them on.

Go to sporting goods stores. I just got a pair of hiking sneakers on sale at Sports Authority for $65.

Cabela's is a fun adventure. I think it is good to try them on in person.

If that doesn't work out try sierratrading or campmor online. They usually have good brands but last year's style or color, so at a discount.

I narrowed down the search to the lowest price range they offer.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/womens-hiking-boots~d~566/priceor~%2440-%2479.99/

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368528?ip_navtype=AdvancedSearch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368528&ip_sortBy=&filters=Price~0-100~%240-%24100%20%2832%29&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=&colorFilter=

DH has owned Vasque boots in the past and liked them. There are a few Vasque boots in your price range.

You can spend the day in there. My kids love the fish tanks, the animals and the plane hanging from the ceiling. On the way to Hershey, that is our stop.

Do you go to the one in Hamburg? That's the one I'd be going to. :) We've been in there like twice, the kids like looking at all the animals and stuff too, I don't know why I didn't think to check there. I just called and they have three pairs of those boots I linked in stock in my size. Maybe I'll go today since I plan to go hiking again on Monday.:D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

It could also be worth trying to search online and find brands that do women's walking boots and then phone them or look at their website for stockists in your area.

I have Brasher supalites and Regatta walking boots. I don't know if they are available in the USA but both brands do lots of women's boots. The Brashers are particularly good if you have wide feet as they are wider in the toes.

DH has owned Vasque boots in the past and liked them. There are a few Vasque boots in your price range.

I love Vasque boots. I bought my last pair 6 years ago and still wear them on a weekly basis. They've been all over the US and on oodles of trails. Only in the past year have they lost some of their waterproof-ness. I paid more than $60 for them, but I consider them well-worth the investment.

I'll probably replace them this coming spring/summer - with Vasque, of course. I'm sold on the brand. We went "cheap" with my boys since they were growing, etc, but their boots always wore out quickly. I'm not sure if we actually saved anything. We also went "cheap" when hubby needed new boots last fall. We already have to replace those - just waiting on the $$ to get Vasque again.

Try REI.

As a lifelong female hiker and backpacker, I have never had any trouble finding shoes and selecting from a wide variety of hiking boots available.

You must try them on; I can recommend purchasing over the internet only if you already know the exact model and are just replacing it.

DD is using Vasque, loves them and is on her third pair (which do fit me but give me excruciating pain after a while; I had to give away my last pair). I have Hanwag. My last pair was Lowa. It all depends on your feet, so recommendations for a specific model from other people may be completely irrelevant. I can recommend all three brands for their quality and durability.

Edited by regentrude

I have waterproof, lightweight, flexible, good traction women's hiking boots. I bought them at REI. REI also takes returns of anything, worn or not, so if something turns out not to fit as well as you believed in the store, you can take it back for a refund. This extremely generous policy is one of the reasons why I shop there.

I got mine many years ago at a specialty store. They're Salomon (sp?) brand. Just a word of advice. Hiking boots can last many years if you take care of them. I spent over $100 for mine, but they've lasted for 10 years and counting (granted, our hiking has tapered off severly the last couple years). But even if they had lasted half as long.... The right pair of shoes makes a huuuuuge difference in hiking. If you spend money on nothing else for hiking, get a good pair of shoes and a good pair of socks. It will make all the difference.

On the west coast we have Columbia Sportswear, which offers boots almost identical to the ones you saw with Cabela's. I'm only commenting here because I went to a local outlet mall and bought a pair of Columbia Sportswear boots for dd for about half the price of regular retail. Do you happen to have an outlet mall nearby?

I was also going to note that I've had friends that purchased men's or boy's hiking boots and have been completely satisfied. This seems to work since you're not going so much for fashion in this case. I mean, really, hiking boots are pretty much the same style for both sexes. The boots are sturdy, quite often a much lower cost, and if you're careful and take time to get the right size conversion, they fit well too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Do you ghave a REI near you? If not, go to an outdoor type place which sells backpacks, kayaks, hiking boots. Try on several diffrent brands. A specific outdoor pkace will be much better than your typical sporting store.

i chose one that is higher than a high top so that I can tie it tight aroung my ankle. I have had issues with my ankle since my sprain and wanted to make sure I protect it on hikes, especially where we go over rough terrain a lot. Mine also has a type of footbed that is almost impossible to allow instability/sprains. They were very expensive, around $300, but worth every single penny. It killed me to spend that kind of money on a color of shoe that I HATE (slate blue) so I made it work by buying matching eyeliner and a really cute Life is Good slate blue v-neck t-shirt which shows a girl hiking with her dog.:001_smile: i can't help myself sometimes. :blushing:

You will want to decide which type of shoe is really important for you. Hiking in a waterproof shoe will make your feet sweat horribly. I will be having a hiking boot made for me, custom and MY COLOR CHOICE (purple?) which will be waterproof for spring and fall, but my blue shoes are stricly for dry hikes.

I got mine many years ago at a specialty store. They're Salomon (sp?) brand. Just a word of advice. Hiking boots can last many years if you take care of them. I spent over $100 for mine, but they've lasted for 10 years and counting (granted, our hiking has tapered off severly the last couple years). But even if they had lasted half as long.... The right pair of shoes makes a huuuuuge difference in hiking. If you spend money on nothing else for hiking, get a good pair of shoes and a good pair of socks. It will make all the difference.

:iagree:

Forgot to mention, Mine arw Salomon. I didn't mind spending mney on shoes I know that will last for years.

My hiking boots will cost $600 but they will be made in NH and are expected to last a lifetime. Also, they can be repaired by the family owned company which has been in business for decades. They also will have custom footbeds for my messed up feet.:glare:

i always thought you were in TX. Now I see you are on the east coast. See if you can try on several pair keeping Eastern Mountain Sports and REI in mind. If you have ANY issues with comfort or quality, REI will take them back no matter how many timesmyou've worn them.

Like I just noted in the OK people thread, your name should be NancePAtoo to make my life easier. Please make the name change today. I always thought you were in TX.:tongue_smilie:

Never heard of a REI store... will have to try to look it up later and see if there's one anywhere near me; off to homeschool bowling league with the kids right now though... most of the "big" name sporting good stores would be an hour or more away from me... the only sporting goods store near me is a very small one that didn't seem to have much on their website.

Went to Cabela's and unfortunately those shoes felt too tight pinching against the outsides of my toes, I need more of a wider width shoe usually and they didn't have anything for me that didn't jump up to $100 or more.

Need to keep looking!

Never heard of a REI store... will have to try to look it up later and see if there's one anywhere near me; off to homeschool bowling league with the kids right now though... most of the "big" name sporting good stores would be an hour or more away from me... the only sporting goods store near me is a very small one that didn't seem to have much on their website.

Went to Cabela's and unfortunately those shoes felt too tight pinching against the outsides of my toes, I need more of a wider width shoe usually and they didn't have anything for me that didn't jump up to $100 or more.

Need to keep looking!

One of the nice things about REI is that they have an incline in their stores so you can feel whether your toes will hit the front of your boots in a downhill stretch--that's a pretty killer characteristic in a hiking boot.

If your toes are pinched on the sides, you can sometimes go up a half size or even a size and then lace tightly at the ankle to hold your feet back. That gives you a wider toebox. I have a narrow heel in proportion to my toes, and I always do that with running shoes and usually with hiking shoes as well.

My feet sweat whether the boots are waterproof or not, but I sprung for expensive two layer winter hiking socks, and they wick the sweat out from my feet so that they don't get cold. Until I bought these socks I literally did not know that it was possible for your feet to be warm unless you were actively running on them. They are wonderful. Also they provide wonderful padding. The only time I don't wear them is when I'm going running or when I'm hiking in really, really hot weather.

One of the nice things about REI is that they have an incline in their stores so you can feel whether your toes will hit the front of your boots in a downhill stretch--that's a pretty killer characteristic in a hiking boot.

If your toes are pinched on the sides, you can sometimes go up a half size or even a size and then lace tightly at the ankle to hold your feet back. That gives you a wider toebox. I have a narrow heel in proportion to my toes, and I always do that with running shoes and usually with hiking shoes as well.

My feet sweat whether the boots are waterproof or not, but I sprung for expensive two layer winter hiking socks, and they wick the sweat out from my feet so that they don't get cold. Until I bought these socks I literally did not know that it was possible for your feet to be warm unless you were actively running on them. They are wonderful. Also they provide wonderful padding. The only time I don't wear them is when I'm going running or when I'm hiking in really, really hot weather.

What brand name are your socks? I have been fine since switching to 100% wool but I would love to find other socks that work, too.

ETA: I also wear a wider shoe. There are several REI in your area. Don't be afraid to pay more for a shoe, not that you necessarily will have to, because REI stands behind all their products. You can even return insoles. I also liked the incline. I really tried to twist my ankle on one and I just couldn't. That holds true a year later. I have climbed many rocky mountains and getting these shoes is the best money I've spent in a LONG time.

Edited by Denisemomof4

What about hiking sneakers? I think Lands End has them.

REI is a great place to go, too, as is LL Bean. I think it's easier to go to a bm store than online, tho--you want them to fit just right. I have wide feet, and can't shop online for anything. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I was going to suggest LL Bean and Land's End. Sierra Trading Post is good as well. Toe Warmers brand might fit your purposes.

Do you go to the one in Hamburg? That's the one I'd be going to. :) We've been in there like twice, the kids like looking at all the animals and stuff too, I don't know why I didn't think to check there. I just called and they have three pairs of those boots I linked in stock in my size. Maybe I'll go today since I plan to go hiking again on Monday.:D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Yes. The Hamburg one is it. REI is good too but it really depends on the store.

i always thought you were in TX. Now I see you are on the east coast. See if you can try on several pair keeping Eastern Mountain Sports and REI in mind. If you have ANY issues with comfort or quality, REI will take them back no matter how many timesmyou've worn them.

Like I just noted in the OK people thread, your name should be NancePAtoo to make my life easier. Please make the name change today. I always thought you were in TX.:tongue_smilie:

lol well I DO have "Pennsylvania" right in my "Location" thingie!

I just looked up "REI" and used the store locator and the closest one to me is over 100 miles away.

We have a Lands End in Sears in the mall but I called and they have NO hiking type boots available, so I'd be back to having to order something online without getting to try it on first. We don't really have a lot of store options around here. Blah. It's not that *I* am afraid to pay a bit more for a good shoe, it's that my husband is like "you went hiking once so far, how do you know how often you're going to want to do it, you might only use these things a couple of times and never go hiking again" lol... he's not going to be big on me paying a lot of money for expensive hiking boots that may or may not get much use. I tend to buy $15-$20 shoes at Walmart or Payless. He already thinks it's funny/odd I want to buy $60 boots because I went on a hike the other day. $100 boots is overkill for us at this point. :P

Edited by NanceXToo

lol well I DO have "Pennsylvania" right in my "Location" thingie!

I just looked up "REI" and used the store locator and the closest one to me is over 100 miles away.

We have a Lands End in Sears in the mall but I called and they have NO hiking type boots available, so I'd be back to having to order something online without getting to try it on first. We don't really have a lot of store options around here. Blah. It's not that *I* am afraid to pay a bit more for a good shoe, it's that my husband is like "you went hiking once so far, how do you know how often you're going to want to do it, you might only use these things a couple of times and never go hiking again" lol... he's not going to be big on me paying a lot of money for expensive hiking boots that may or may not get much use. I tend to buy $15-$20 shoes at Walmart or Payless. He already thinks it's funny/odd I want to buy $60 boots because I went on a hike the other day. $100 boots is overkill for us at this point. :P

Then hike some more, in sneakers. Or call it a fitness expense.

Unless you have a foot or knee problem or are going out in the cold and wet, hiking boots are great but not essential for beginning hikers who are not backpacking.

I hiked in good running shoes for years before buying my current, beloved hiking boots. I bought them 15 months ago when I was in Wisconsin for Christmas break and my snow boots fell apart. I went to the nearest REI, found some great waterproof hiking boots on sale, and decided that they would be warm enough (it was a warm winter that year) and ultimately more useful than another pair of snow boots. I was right. They are FAR warmer than sneakers, and it's so fun to slog through mud and even shallow puddles without getting my feet wet. I have loved having them. (Also they didn't have the snow boots I wanted in stock, and since I so rarely buy them, I wanted to make sure that I would like the ones I ended up with.)

Yeah...I'll stick with sneakers for now until I come across something. I'll poke around in different stores around here and see if I can find something but I guess it isn't urgent. I don't plan on doing extremely long or difficult hikes at this stage (and maybe not for a very long time since 1) I'm just starting out and 2) if all goes well I'll end up pregnant in a few months anyway :D).

I envision 2-4 miles at most, and I definitely don't plan on doing it in extreme weather regardless.

I wanted water proof because where we hiked last time and plan to go back we had to cross a small stream that involved a bit of balancing on rocks trying to get across and I did end up getting one of my feet partially wet and thought something more water resistant than my sneakers would have been nice. But I survived it lol. (My daughter on the other hand had perfect balance and was light on her feet and got across without getting her feet wet at all). I can hold off until I see if I just happen to find something, it's the kind of thing I'll probably only do once a week or so when hubby's off to watch my younger son while I go with my daughter on nice days.

I wanted water proof because where we hiked last time and plan to go back we had to cross a small stream that involved a bit of balancing on rocks trying to get across and I did end up getting one of my feet partially wet and thought something more water resistant than my sneakers would have been nice.

I wish that they still sold the old foam, very flexible Teva water sandals. They were outstanding for hiking in muddy or wet areas, if it wasn't too cold out. And you could just rinse them off. The newer Teva's, though, are not as conducive to that. I hate the feel of wet socks when I'm hiking, and they cause some of the nastiest possible blisters at times.

I love my hiking lots, they are the most comfortable shoes I own. About 2 years after I bought them at Sports Authority for $60ish, I saw them in TJMaxx for $20. I seriously considered buying another pair to have on hand when my old ones wear out! But if you have a TJMaxx nearby, it might be worth it to swing by I see if they have anything.

I love my hiking lots, they are the most comfortable shoes I own. About 2 years after I bought them at Sports Authority for $60ish, I saw them in TJMaxx for $20. I seriously considered buying another pair to have on hand when my old ones wear out! But if you have a TJMaxx nearby, it might be worth it to swing by I see if they have anything.

Fantastic idea! That's very similar to my suggestion about going to an outlet mall if you have one nearby. Also, if you have a good resale consignment shop in your community, things like this will often appear for amazingly low prices. (i.e. I've purchased Clark's brand shoes that were like brand, spankin' new at a local consignment shop. They cost me $18 per pair <I bought 2!!> The exact same shoes were $90 retail online.)

Blessings,

Lucinda