Menu

I have a job interview!

I have needed a job really bad for awhile now (since I am now single) that won't make homeschooling difficult and I finally got a call from the place I want to work for an interview.

It is a very upscale grocery store (not a chain) that also have a home section and garden section. It is only part-time and I am hoping to be a cashier. Any tips? I haven't worked in a while. What should I wear? I need to look good without going overboard. I am willing to buy a new outfit to secure this job.

Michelle

PS Everyone who is willing... I would be so grateful for your prayers.

I have needed a job really bad for awhile now (since I am now single) that won't make homeschooling difficult and I finally got a call from the place I want to work for an interview.

It is a very upscale grocery store (not a chain) that also have a home section and garden section. It is only part-time and I am hoping to be a cashier. Any tips? I haven't worked in a while. What should I wear? I need to look good without going overboard. I am willing to buy a new outfit to secure this job.

Michelle

Outfit: I would go with slacks and a nice top, nothing fancy, keep it simple but nice. Keep any jewellery simple as well. Wear closed-toe shoes with a medium or low heel - a pump or loafer style. This looks more practical, but still polished. If you carry a handbag into the interview with you, make sure it is neat looking and not too big. You do not want to look like you tote around half your life in it, nor look like it's seen better days, either.

During the interview: downplay your work gap and emphasize your skills. Enthusiasm counts for a lot, but make sure it isn't OTT -- you want to sound sincere, not desperate. It might be a worthwhile exercise to write down skills you have that relate in any way to working at this store. For example, you are good working with money because you manage a household budget very well, you enjoy meeting and helping people, you are a neat and orderly person by nature and you understand the importance of that in a retail setting, etc. etc. If you write it down ahead of time, you won't feel quite so put-on-the-spot when/if they ask you about your skills.

Good luck! :001_smile:

And (apologies if this is obvious) make sure you can identify the items you'll be selling and have some idea what you do with them. When I was working in a greengrocer, the boss would take a prospective employee around the shop. People who didn't know what a broccoli or potato was didn't get the job. People who only missed the endives did. ;)

Good luck!

Rosie

Praying for you! At your interview, put an emphasis on customer service experience. Cashiers play an important role in customer retention. Also, the interviewer may ask you some questions about how you solved a problem successfully or about setting and reaching a goal. I was asked to discuss a time when I had to resolve a conflict with another person.

I wish you the very best.

Congratulations on getting to the interview stage - you know you can do this, so be confident and do well!

I don't know if this would apply to your situation, but one tip I was given years ago was to show up to the interview in the same general color family as the employer's uniform. It's to help them visualize you as an employee; maybe a subtle nudge in your favor LOL. It's always worked for me, and I always pass it along to others just in case that's not a coincidence :D E.g., if I were interviewing at Target I'd wear a red blouse or sweater with a khaki skirt or slacks.

Praying for you! At your interview, put an emphasis on customer service experience. Cashiers play an important role in customer retention. Also, the interviewer may ask you some questions about how you solved a problem successfully or about setting and reaching a goal. I was asked to discuss a time when I had to resolve a conflict with another person.

I wish you the very best.

:iagree:

I also like Audrey's advice.

Michelle, you are beautiful and have a nice smile. You also have a pleasant speaking voice and manner. Walk in confidently, with a smile. I have met you, and you come across as sweet and very gracious. These are traits that will help you.

Let us know how it goes--we're all on your team. :)

I will second Rosie's advice to know about the store and the products they carry. I have worked in a retail store (health and specialty foods/produce--sounds somewhat similar to the store you are applying at, only a bit smaller) for more than 12 years. We don't hire folks who are unfamiliar with what we sell. If you are a regular customer of the store, we are much more likely to hire you, because then we know you are truly interested in what we are doing. If you aren't a regular (e.g., you just moved to the area), you are more likely to get a job with us if you have relevant experience, but more important is that you truly have a passion for something relevant. For example, we sell natural foods and produce; a recently hired employee's past jobs included working in the fields on an organic farm and cooking in a vegan restaurant. Someone who likes what they do/sell is likely to be a better employee. For us, it is more important that you have a sincere interest in the goods or services we provide than continuous past employment.

So, if this store isn't someplace you usually frequent/shop, I would suggest making a trip or two before your interview to simply "window shop" and gain a little more familiarity. Do a little research. ;)

Good luck!! :D

I think I worked there, and so did Bill. ;)

They are the nicest people to work for, and the customers are nice, too! I absolutely loved that job.

IIRC, the interview was mostly about money handling experience and customer service, handling problems, dealing with authority, getting along with team members, and not at all product-related.

Church clothes or dress pants and a nice blouse are fine, I'm sure.

Praying for you!

I will second Rosie's advice to know about the store and the products they carry. I have worked in a retail store (health and specialty foods/produce--sounds somewhat similar to the store you are applying at, only a bit smaller) for more than 12 years. We don't hire folks who are unfamiliar with what we sell. If you are a regular customer of the store, we are much more likely to hire you, because then we know you are truly interested in what we are doing. If you aren't a regular (e.g., you just moved to the area), you are more likely to get a job with us if you have relevant experience, but more important is that you truly have a passion for something relevant. For example, we sell natural foods and produce; a recently hired employee's past jobs included working in the fields on an organic farm and cooking in a vegan restaurant. Someone who likes what they do/sell is likely to be a better employee. For us, it is more important that you have a sincere interest in the goods or services we provide than continuous past employment.

So, if this store isn't someplace you usually frequent/shop, I would suggest making a trip or two before your interview to simply "window shop" and gain a little more familiarity. Do a little research. ;)

Good luck!! :D

Good Advice and Good News! I love this store and shop there on occasion. It is my "special treat" store because I can't afford to shop there all the time but I am very familiar with it and know the stores products and layout.

I think I worked there, and so did Bill. ;)

They are the nicest people to work for, and the customers are nice, too! I absolutely loved that job.

IIRC, the interview was mostly about money handling experience and customer service, handling problems, dealing with authority, getting along with team members, and not at all product-related.

Church clothes or dress pants and a nice blouse are fine, I'm sure.

Praying for you!

Thank you Angela! That is really helpful advice. I feel pretty confident because I have had to deal with all this in the past not only through jobs but also as a leader in my homeschool group. I am excited. I feel as if I can do this. Thank you for your prayers!

Didn't see this until now. Hope the interview went well and you hear back soon.

Take care.

P.S. How is your new puppy doing?

Michelle

Didn't see this until now. Hope the interview went well and you hear back soon.

Take care.

P.S. How is your new puppy doing?

Well.... It went really well. I felt comfortable and I think I gave good answers. :001_smile: She seemed pretty excited and told me she had 3 different department heads she was going to pass my name to. She told me to contact her next Thursday if someone else had not contacted me and she would make sure something happened. She said she felt I would fit in very well there. Thank you everyone for your help and prayers! I'll update you further when something more happens.

As far as the puppy goes... "HE" is fitting right in with the kids. :lol:

425746_310564072338773_100001555489406_879465_800951184_n.jpg

Well.... It went really well. I felt comfortable and I think I gave good answers. :001_smile: She seemed pretty excited and told me she had 3 different department heads she was going to pass my name to. She told me to contact her next Thursday if someone else had not contacted me and she would make sure something happened. She said she felt I would fit in very well there. Thank you everyone for your help and prayers! I'll update you further when something more happens.

As far as the puppy goes... "HE" is fitting right in with the kids. :lol:

425746_310564072338773_100001555489406_879465_800951184_n.jpg

Awesome news and very cute dog!