Menu

Rental that doesn't allow dogs?

As an owner I would feel violated if a tenant snuck in a pet. However, even though our lease says "no pets" when tenants have specifically requested permission to bring in a pet - we have given permission. Our new tenants have an elderly large dog. They explained the dog's temperament and routine. We agreed to allow the dog. We were impressed with their honesty and appreciated their willingness to be upfront.

I think that it is always better to be upfront and then deal with the issues as they really exist.

Would you stick to that? Or is it terrible to sneak a dog into a rental that doesn't allow pets?

I would never sign a lease if I didn't agree with the terms of it. I would abide by the terms if I had signed it.

Breaking a lease is a good way to find yourself with no place to live (eviction) and will give you a bad reference for your next place.

do you want to deal with the bills you would incur when the landlord finds out you snuck a dog onto the property? since you would be the one in violation of the lease, you would be the one footing the bills - up to and including eviction.

if a dog is that important to you - find another rental.

Since I HATE moving, I would never wantonly violate the terms of my lease with something so obvious (I say as I furtively look around to see what I am doing to violate my lease).

If I had lived there for long enough I may ask permission, and if I was already allowed a dog, there is a possibility I would take another, but it would have to be a special situation, and I would have already had to prove myself a good renter just in case the LLs freaked.

Also, sometimes neighbors are still friends with the homeowners, so I would be WAY too paranoid with a dog. 100% indoor cat, maybe, dog, no.

Yes, it's wrong. If you(general you) signed a contract or a lease stating no animals then ignoring that would be extremely unethical. Not to mention if the landlord found out you would be at risk of eviction or re homing the dog quickly. Not an ideal situation for any renter!

...just wondering how common it is to "sneak" in a small pet. Not that *we* ever would...

that's probably the first time I've ever heard even a small dog referred to as a "small" pet. fish, hamsters/gerbils/guinea pigs - maybe, but never a dog. even small dogs can do quite a bit of damage.

That being said, I agree with others about talking to them about it - they may make an exception with a deposit. Speaking as someone who spent ALOT of money on kenneling our dog when we moved because our short term rental before the house was ready would not allow him, I would think it very dishonest to sneak in a pet!

Talk to them or look for another rental

ReneeR

When we were renting a pet-free apartment and wanted a cat, we talked to the landlord. Because we had been good tenants up to that point and were willing to pay another sizable deposit to cover damage, the LL allowed it. Do make sure you get something in writing explaining the extra damage deposit and that you've been allowed to have a pet.

OKAY OKAY I'm a terrible person for asking or even thinking about it, I'm sorry!!! :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I can't believe you found a topic that everyone agrees on. This has eluded the board for years. I am sure by then end of the responses you will get someone to say 'sure, go ahead!" LOL

:lol:

I can't believe you found a topic that everyone agrees on. This has eluded the board for years. I am sure by then end of the responses you will get someone to say 'sure, go ahead!" LOL

LOL! I'm good for something!

With dogs, I definitely would not break the lease terms.

However, I have done that with cats, simply because they are easier to hide and don't make noise. You can't really prevent a dog from barking and from having to take him out for potty.

The problem is that you have made the home UNlivable to a future tenant with cat allergies. The cat dander lives on long after the cat leaves. Just because you can hide it better does not make it right.

ETA: I meant UNlivable.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

The house that was our primary home (and will be again when DH retires) is being rented now. It was hard enough to turn it over to renters in the first place just because of fears they'd trash the place so if I moved back into my house and found that the tenant had brought in a pet I'd be calling my attorney ASAP. I hate, hate, hate, hate cats (ymmv) and merely tolerate dogs so carpet replacement, fumigation, paint, and eviction costs... all of it would be on my damages list.:glare:

You shouldn't sneak a dog in.

If someone isn't clear about it upfront, we've always brought our dog with us to see the place so they can see how well behaved she is. Also, a dog's behavior will help you know if you're going to have issues because of past pets allowed in a house (if there were any). We have always had people rent to us with little or no pet deposit. And people who were iffy about pets have been fine with us.

The problem is that you have made the home livable to a future tenant with cat allergies. The cat dander lives on long after the cat leaves. Just because you can hide it better does not make it right.

We had tenants sneak a dog in, the dog did a good amount of damage, ripped up new carpet, scratched baseboards, and chewed up the bathroom door. Don't do it.

Cats are.worse, if they pre on the carpet it OS next to impossible to get that smell out.

Nope, just find some place that will accept the dog. My current rental originally said no dogs, but after speaking with us changed our lease to allow it. I think the fact that we are a family and not a bunch of college students (I live in a college town), and that my dog is old enough not to be puppy destructive and lazy enough that she doesn't cause any damage did it.

I would never move some place without my baby. Then again... sneaking her in isn't really an option for me... she's 85 pounds of large, brown dog. :lol:

The problem is that you have made the home livable to a future tenant with cat allergies. The cat dander lives on long after the cat leaves. Just because you can hide it better does not make it right.

Ellen beat me to this... Yes, future renters will ask "have there been pets?" and when the landlord says, "no, we've had that no pet policy for over a decade..." the renters will feel comfortable.

We aren't renters ourselves, but when we stay in a hotel now and then, we always ask for a no pet room and have to trust that the families in the room before us did not bring in a furry pet.

Please don't bring a pet into a no pet lease. If you love a certain apartment, check with the landlord as he might allow certain pets if you ask...

Find another...

You signed a lease. It is a contract. I personally believe that we should honor contracts we sign.

Ideally, one would approach the landlord and ask to negotiate acceptable terms to have the dog -- additional deposit, cleaning fee, pet rent, whatever.

If you are/will be a great tenant, many landlords will work with you.

If you sneak a dog in, be prepared to be evicted and to face the penalties allowed by the lease and/or the law. If you can't afford an eviction/move, then that is a risky move, b/c the landlord can evict you for violating the lease, even if you THEN promise to get rid of the dog. (Why would the landlord believe you?) If you can afford to move, then talk to the landlord about the dog issue, and move if you can't come to terms.

Good luck working this out. Dogs are wonderful. I couldn't be happy without mine. :)

I don't think you are a terrible person. :001_smile:

As a landlord, I would be VERY inclined to allow a good tenant, who had been there a while and pays on time to add a pet to the household, IF they were upfront about it and asked me. Good tenants are hard to find, and I will bend over backwards to accommodate one who has already proven themselves to be a good tenant. However, I'd likely ask for an additional non-refundable deposit.

We are dog lovers and have had to deal with finding rentals ourselves that will accept dogs, so I do understand!

As much as I love dogs, there are very good reasons landlords say "no". Do NOT bring in a dog without permission. One of those reasons (aside from concerns of potential damage or lawsuits from attacks) would be that a future resident could be very allergic to what your pet may leave behind, even if you do an extreme cleaning before moving. Please respect the owners and the lease. We've lived without dogs most of our marriage because of this rule and have had permission for any cats or goats we've had (goats were outside, of course). The only pets we have not asked permission on (but have had no problem mentioning them to the landlord, so we weren't hiding them either) have been a hampster (as in one, not several), a leopard gecko, and a beta fish in a vase (if it were an aquarium full of fish, I would ask permission as I've known properties to suffer severe damage when a tank has busted).