Menu

So we went house hunting today......

Which house would you choose?  

1. 1. Which house would you choose?

• House #1
    • House #2
    • Neither/Other please explain

And while we're not sure ANY of the houses are a perfect fit, if we had to choose, we're choosing between two very different homes, both of which have plusses and minuses.

House #1: 2 acres (NATURE! trails...horses...community lake...wildlife), 3 Bedroom 2 bath, 3 car garage, farther from town, smaller, no dedicated HS room. Small bedrooms, small kitchen, small bathrooms which we'd have to update, wonderful little pool, huge storage shed, big deck, huge floor to ceiling windows in living room overlooking the land. High fire insurance fees, high property taxes. Low HOA fees and lots of privacy. 2100 sf. Built in 1973, owner has maintained well, tented for termites 3 years ago. Wooden frame, which is a negative in a hot climate.

House #2: .5 acre but feels like less. 3 bedrooms/3 baths/2 car garage plus separate loft space with bathroom (HS room!) 3200 sf...lots of room for a dedicated HS room, top of the line kitchen, gorgeous bathrooms, room for a home office for DH if he decides to work from home (which could happen), high ceilings, marble floors, no pool, plantation shutters, hurricane glass. Newer, CBS home built in 2009. High HOA fees but low insurance costs. Definitely priced low for its value. Less privacy for sure, but more friends for the kids? Higher-end community, somewhat "cookie cutter", with gated, manned front gate, lots of families, community tennis courts and pools.

They are the exact same price, not accounting for taxes, insurance and HOA fees, which in the end, might balance each other out. We may decide not to go for either one, but if we did.......

ETA: Pics in Post #46

Edited by Halcyon

I would definitely take 1 for the land. Having said that though, we now live in something more like 2 and I love how maintenance free it is. When we first moved, I wasn't sure what to do with all the time I had previously spent painting, repairing and planning. Also, getting kids to various activities is so easy. I miss the yard space though and dream of ways to get more land.

I voted number one - but honestly the small kitchen might be a deal breaker. I hate a small kitchen. If it were a deal breaker, I would look for a similar property to house one, but with the larger kitchen I prefer.

Yes, it's a smaller kitchen, not updated. It's the lack of anywhere for a homeschool room that's killing me. Plus, everyone down here warns me against a wooden frame house. Hurricanes, bugs etc. But, oh! the land--so gorgeous and private.

True, but every house down here has that. :) It's just a matter of how involved they are, and how high the HOA is. Very rare to get a nice house down here with no HOA.

Ah.

In that case, I'd probably still go w/neither, simply b/c you don't sound over the moon, woo hoo about either one.

If it *had* to be one or the other, I'd go w/#2. I can't stand a small kitchen, and the wooden frame would worry me.

Ah.

In that case, I'd probably still go w/neither, simply b/c you don't sound over the moon, woo hoo about either one.

If it *had* to be one or the other, I'd go w/#2. I can't stand a small kitchen, and the wooden frame would worry me.

Yea, me too. I've always wanted a nice kitchen :)

Having land is wonderful! Option 1 will be more work than option 2.

The lack of a HS room wouldn't bother me. You can always add onto a house if you have land. It gives you lots of options but having an older house means more work. I think if it were our family it would come down to do you enjoy home improvement projects? And do you love nature?

For us - for dh, the space and nature are a must. For me, not so much. For me the privacy is a must. Sometimes I wish we lived in a neighborhood just so we had less bugs. But I need my privacy. In the past, we lived on a half acre and a quarter acre and felt like we had privacy. So the amount of land doesn't always mean less privacy.

The idea of having a loft space is great - that would be a wonderful place for the kids to be.

Sorry! I am no help.

Having land is wonderful! Option 1 will be more work than option 2.

The lack of a HS room wouldn't bother me. You can always add onto a house if you have land. It gives you lots of options but having an older house means more work. I think if it were our family it would come down to do you enjoy home improvement projects? And do you love nature?

For us - for dh, the space and nature are a must. For me, not so much. For me the privacy is a must. Sometimes I wish we lived in a neighborhood just so we had less bugs. But I need my privacy. In the past, we lived on a half acre and a quarter acre and felt like we had privacy. So the amount of land doesn't always mean less privacy.

The idea of having a loft space is great - that would be a wonderful place for the kids to be.

Sorry! I am no help.

:lol: You sound like me!!!

Neither. I avoid HOAs and they exist without but are hard to find but the real reason is I don't think you are in love with either. From what you write, I would be worried that you are just settling. It just didn't speak love/head over heels with what you wrote. I would keep looking.

Do double check to see if either HOA has rules on what you could do with adding to the house. Also, see if they only allow certain paint colors and brands. Aunt looked into one that required the houses only be certain colors and a certain brand at over 40 a gallon.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

There should be tons on the market right now. I would hold off.

Do you currently have a school room? If you do and that is important, then you should have one. We have ,any options for a dedicated school room but I hate the idea of being condined there all day.

Land and privacy would be imperative for me, but the small rooms and kitchen are things I don't think I could overlook. Also, are you ok with community pools and tennis courts? Decide what your top priorities are and just keep looking.

How much would you guys utilize the outdoor stuff? We like to think we would do stuff outside, but DH can barely keep our small lawn mowed and I really have no interest in doing anything outdoors (keeping up with indoor work is enough for me).

How much money would you have to renovate the smaller house down the road? Could you dump money into it for a kitchen renovation or add on down the line?

House two. Bigger kitchen, homeschool room. Two acres isn't really enough to do a bunch of country type things IMO so I'd take the house with more on the space front.

You can do a lot on two acres in different regions...but not with most HOAs. ;)

I voted number 2, but you have to decide what you put a premium on.

First, a small kitchen would be a problem. I don't like to commute to activities.

I like being in a neighborhood near neighbors. Some people don't like that. It makes it easier for kids to meet friends. I like having a pool nearby that I do not have to maintain. A neighborhood pool is a great thing for kids in the summer. A larger house is great for doing home schooling projects without cluttering up the place. It does not sound like a home office is possible in the smaller house.

I'd wait for something more your ideal, but of the 2 I'd go with #2. Although I LOVE acreage, 2ac in FLORIDA is a whole other matter. Lot more dangerous critters to contend with. :lol: The wood structure is another huge negative for me, plus I LOVE a nice kitchen -- you spend so much time in there and it sucks to work in a small kitchen.

That said, your priorities may not be the same as mine. ;)

Kids should be in nature. Not closed up in a city on a half acre. There's something about getting away from it all, the peace, the quiet, away from hustle and bustle. Kids do natural play, outside, climbing trees, not playing in a park or on a street. A place to play ball, hang out without hearing your neighbor's toilet flush.

I'd keep looking, but you couldn't get me in the city on a half acre.

I would go for house #1, and consider adding on (even if it's a few years down the road). Even house #1 has more sq. ft. than ours does (over 400 more), and this size is perfectly adequate and even spacious for us. I just want more land (we have about .31 acre).

ETA: the previous owners added a 3 seasons room and a dining room onto this house. Previously the kitchen must have been an eat-in kitchen, which would have made it a very small kitchen/dining area. But with the dining room added on, with a very large entry between the two, about as big as it could get, it makes a large and spacious kitchen/dining area.

Can you post any pictures (without addresses, for privacy purposes?)

You don't seem that excited about either house. It sounds as though you'd like House #2 in House #1's location, or at least House #2 with the same size property as House #1.

Is there any possibility of finding a house with a relatively private acre or two, but that's still big enough and close to town? Or even the .5 acre lot, but positioned in such a way as to feel more private, like on a cul-de-sac, or backing up to a wooded area?

Edited to add: If I had to choose between the two houses you described, I'd go with #2 all the way.

Edited by Catwoman

I couldn't choose between those. If it was me, I'd keep looking. Your priorities might be different!

#1 would bother me because there is too much land, too much nature, too small bedrooms, and farther away from town. We downsized seven years ago and regret it. The two biggest problems I have in my home are too small bedrooms and no privacy anywhere in the house. The walls are thin and there is only one living space for just hanging out. DH works from home and sits in the living room unless he is on a private call and then he is in the bedroom.

#2 would bother me because the lot is too small. Before we moved into this house, our last house was on a one third acre lot. We were simply too close to our neighbors. I used to joke that we could lean out the bathroom window and borrow toilet paper from the neighbors.

Making these decisions are so hard! It's not like you can return it if it doesn't work out well. Good luck!

#1 - "nature" in south Florida is totally different than the "nature" I prefer. In SF, "nature" to me means gators and fire ants and either lawns that are scruffy or lawns that are highly chemically treated. So the nature part doesn't do it for me. Wood frame is asking for termites. This one sounds like lots of lawn and house maintenance and lots of updating work, and even with that you've still got a small house.

#2 - Possible neighborhood friends for dc is a huge plus, and the community pool and tennis courts gives them a place to play. A nice kitchen is essential for me. Sounds like there is flexibility in room use (schoolroom, dh work at home, etc.). No pool is a plus for me, as that means no maintenance and no responsibility for neighbor kids swimming. This house sounds more hurricane-resistant, which is huge in SF. Less lawn care, less updating = more time for hsing and hanging with the family. Twice as much square footage = twice as much space for books before your home starts looking like a library. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Well, yeah that's evident...but nothing beats nature...you're own.

Ewww! I'm all for nature, as long as it remains outside my wildlife free, air conditioned home. There is no amount of money that would entice me to swim in a lake or walk through the woods that didn't have a man-made trail. OTOH, I'm not a city gal either. The idea of living in a big city freaks me out. Nope, I'm a suburban gal. :tongue_smilie:

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick #2. You spend an awful lot of time indoors when you home school and feeling cramped, especially in the kitchen, would make me bonkers. We all think with some renovations, we can make a house just like we want it, BUT how many of us actually get around to doing those things. Unless you have the money on hand and plans to do the improvements, how likely are you to really make any major changes to house #1 to make it like you want/need it. Also the wood frame of house #1 in South Florida would make me uneasy, and it has had to be tented once already for termites. The community pool would be nice. You go during the day when other kids are in school and it will feel like a private pool without the headaches. Finally for potential resale, the second house is likely a better bet.

Kids should be in nature. Not closed up in a city on a half acre. There's something about getting away from it all, the peace, the quiet, away from hustle and bustle. Kids do natural play, outside, climbing trees, not playing in a park or on a street. A place to play ball, hang out without hearing your neighbor's toilet flush.

I'd keep looking, but you couldn't get me in the city on a half acre.

I'm not sure what sort of rowdy suburb you've experienced, but we live on a sleepy, quiet cul-de-sac. I leave my doors and windows open in nice weather and have never heard a neighbor's toilet flush. The kids climbed the trees in our yard, and at the park, and in the nearby woods which have paved bike paths and playgrounds scattered about. There is no shortage of outside play. In fact seeing friends on bikes outside motivates them to get out there.

I grew up in the woods so I'm aware of the advantages and disadvantages and you can get all of them (except excessive hours lost to yard work) in the suburbs. People are just not doing their children a disservice by raising them in the city or suburbs. In fact, some move there to make sure their kids have more opportunities.

I will also add that I've had zero trouble with our HOA in ten years. Our home value HAS held more than the non-HOA communities around us during this recent drop in real estate prices.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'd go for 2. I want land, but after living in a small house, you need a certain amount of space. (how small is small?) small bedrooms are fine, but the small kitchen, with no schoolroom, doesn't sound cozy to me. Where are you going to put your books? That said, if you have time, I'd just wait. Spring is coming. More people should be listing soon.

I grew up in the woods so I'm aware of the advantages and disadvantages and you can get all of them (except excessive hours lost to yard work) in the suburbs. People are just not doing their children a disservice by raising them in the city or suburbs. In fact, some move there to make sure their kids have more opportunities.

We live in the suburbs, but my ds would absolutely love to move into NYC. We go there a lot, and he loves it. He's a city boy at heart. My dh is from NYC, and had a wonderful childhood.

If you're not an outdoorsy person, all that nature is pretty, but it can also feel isolating and boring. I think it all depends on personal preferences.

Edited by Catwoman

I voted #2... homeschooling with 5 (well, me anyhow), we're in the house much more than outside. We currently have 3 acres, woods, lots of privacy, wildlife. I cook (a lot), bake, and hate tripping over everything. We have activities which take us out of the house.

We're moving to Newport News/Norfolk in a year...and I'll be looking for a house much like you describe in your #2. I will not miss the acreage.

I would go with house two hands down. There are likely large parks in town that will give you the great outdoors without the problems of the first house. The stuff they spray for termites with does not go away quickly as they claim, and I would not want to breathe that every day.

We live in the suburbs on about an acre, but my ds would absolutely love to move into NYC. We go there a lot, and he loves it. He's a city boy at heart. My dh is from NYC, and had a wonderful childhood.

If you're not an outdoorsy person, all that nature is pretty, but it can also feel isolating and boring. I think it all depends on personal preferences.

I LOVE going back home to relax, but we spend a lot more time outside than my family back home. They have to get in a car to go ANYWHERE and we have places to walk so we walk a lot to the store, pool, ice rink, park, coffee shop, lake, etc, and it's all accessible for my son's wheelchair. They spend a fortune on gas.

After seeing the pictures, I would go with House #2, because it is spacious, bright, and it doesn't look like it needs any work at all. I like House #1, too, but it needs costly remodeling.

I think #2 is an all-around better choice, particularly when it comes time to resell the house. House #2 will appeal to more buyers, while #1 is more taste-specific.

Ah.

Yea, me too. I've always wanted a nice kitchen :)
:iagree:We've had 2 homes since we moved to WA state over 20 years ago. Both had nice kitchens. It's been a "gathering place", and there's room for everyone to be there.... or not. This house has a tiny laundry room and a couple of other small rooms that I wish were bigger. But I love my nice, open decent sized kitchen! :001_smile:

I voted for neither.

The idea of a HOA skeeves me out.

I used to be that way and then our neighbor parked his broken down kid's car on his side lawn for two months. On the other side our neighbor painted his house Smurf blue. Caddy corner to us the neighbor has had a half assembled/half torn down old tree house for going on a year. Not to mention all the wheelbarrows he's been using to tear down the tree house just sitting underneath the tree like he's going to get out there anyday and finish the job he started a year ago.

When we move we will be moving into a HOA neighborhood. DH and I work really hard to make sure our yard is nice, our cars are at least in the driveway, and our house is kept up. I want some assurance that our neighbors will be doing the same.