Menu

Poll: Pronounce this name

First syllable is pronounced:  

1. 1. First syllable is pronounced:

• BAY
    • BEE
    • srsly? There are starving children ...

My sister and I were at the book store today, when we discovered that we each have a different way of pronouncing this author's name: Beatrix Potter. We spent ten minutes laughing about it at the store, and then polled the book clerk. He didn't know how the author pronounced it, but did side with my sister as far as his own personal preference.

Now I'm wondering if I'm really wrong, or just a wee-bit wrong :D

How do you pronounce the first syllable? Is it BAY? Is it BEE? Inquiring minds want to know ...

Bee!! (Right? Right? I can't imagine it bay, and would be amazed if that's how it's pronounced).

I know, right? That's what I thought, too.

Once I heard her and the clerk's version, I could kind of see it ... especially when I imagined it with a more England-English accent, which my sister insisted it be said in, since the woman was English. Makes sense, I guess, but she'll forever be BEE-uh-trix in my mind.

1 million WTM'rs can't be wrong, right? Or even just 32 :D ...

It's BEE. I only know because of the lady in Harry Potter. :D

Ooh! Neither of us have seen those, but our nephews and my son have! I'll have to ask the boys in front of her tomorrow LOL. But first I'll make her a bet that whatever they say will be our final vote :D!

All I know, from going down the Phonics Road, is that /ea/ can say long e, ea like in bread or short e, or long a, such as in the word great. So Id say /ea/ like long e, but I guess it could make the a sound unless there is a rule stating otherwise that I cant think of. (I might have to break out my WRTR book)

I'm hearing bee uh tricks, with that link. That makes you right doesn't it?

You did? I thought I did the first time, and as I broke out into my victory gloat my nephew hit it again. The second time I heard a slight BAY ... but maybe that was my head playing tricks on me. That happens more than I care to admit.

Joanne: Totally bookmarked that site; love it, never knew it existed!

ETA: I dunno, I'm still hearing a slight bay sound. My nephew won't weigh in, he's sitting there shaking his head at me. Brat LOL.

Edited by eternalknot

You did? I thought I did the first time, and as I broke out into my victory gloat my nephew hit it again. The second time I heard a slight BAY ... but maybe that was my head playing tricks on me. That happens more than I care to admit.

Joanne: Totally bookmarked that site; love it, never knew it existed!

I totally am. DH says it's BEE too, once again because of the Harry Potter reference. If the boys watched the movies, my bet would be that they say BEE, even if that's not correct, because that's what you hear in the movie and they most likely don't have any other reference for the name.

Okay :D that's a clear BEE sound. And how much more valid can it get, than coming from a "WordGirl"?!

I totally love Helena Bonham Carter - so quirky, so under-rated as an actress. I'm going to look for that movie now!

Between that and the pronounciation website, this disagreement with my sister is proving to be pretty beneficial in the long run. Sure as Sam wasn't the case with the countertop/flooring disagreement. Which she won. Turkey.

I think the American English way to say it is Bee-ah-trix. 3 clear syllables.

British English is Bay-ah-trix (with the ah syllable so fast behind the bay that they are almost one syllable). More like baya-trix

I think the American English way to say it is Bee-ah-trix. 3 clear syllables.

British English is Bay-ah-trix (with the ah syllable so fast behind the bay that they are almost one syllable). More like baya-trix

That (The British English) is how I heard it in Joanne's link - sort of runned together, but definitely "bay". I see my sister's reasoning that she'd pronounce it that way, because of the author's background. It had just never before occured to me that there was a pronounciation other than the only one I've ever heard.

Next thing you know they'll be sayin' the world isn't flat :blush: LOL.

Nor how I've heard it pronounced. I know one person who pronounces her own name like that, but she has an accent on the 'e'.

Laura (Brit)

'Tis! She's a huge pain in my butt :tongue_smilie:

(or, as she'd correct: a pain in my huge butt LOL)

:lol: I had taken a sip of coffee before reading that! Thank goodness it was cold for I had snorted trying to refraining from spitting the coffee everywhere.

Hmmm. I say Bee-uh.

:iagree: Voted BEE

See, I would personally pronounce her name Beer-trix (not Bee-trix), two syllables.

Emma (Another Brit) x

The thing is that I pronounce 'beer' as 'bee-uh'. It's somewhere between one and two syllables - you could make it either. And I could make 'Beatrix' into two or three syllables too. I'm from Bristol, if it helps.

'Do you want a beer?' (beer tends to be two syllables)

'I'll have a beer please.' (beer tends to be one syllable)

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

The thing is that I pronounce 'beer' as 'bee-uh'. It's somewhere between one and two syllables - you could make it either. And I could make 'Beatrix' into two or three syllables too. I'm from Bristol, if it helps.

'Do you want a beer?' (beer tends to be two syllables)

'I'll have a beer please.' (beer tends to be one syllable)

Laura

I completely agree with you! I think Beatrix Potter could easily be two or three syllables too, but with the first syllable or two being more like Beer-trix (one or two syllables) than Bee-uh-trix. But I think I am splitting hairs here! :D

And, yes, sometimes the name is pronounced Baya-trix, but not in Miss Potter's case, IMO.

Emma x