Menu

How do you cold weather people do this??

Ugh, I've been in North Georgia for the last 4 days and I'm absolutely FREEZING!! It was 28 degrees last night! :svengo: I've never been in 28 degrees before. My lips are all chapped, my hands are drying out and cracking, everything I touch gives me a static electricity shock... My son is afraid to touch anything because he gets shocked so much. This morning he got so frustrated he just started crying. I have so many clothes on, socks, slippers, blankets and I can't get warm. How do you cold weather people do this every winter?? I'm dyin' here! :eek:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from the northwest, where we are quite temperate. (though winter low's in the 20's for part time is quite typical - it's the singles that are rare.) My girls choose a university in upstate NY. (negative lows for at least part of the time are normal.) 2dd was always cold. here. I learned many things about dressing for cold when I sent 1dd off. 2dd was not cold in NY, and would whinge that her friends went inside because they were cold - and she wasn't and wanted to play in the snow. she had to make adjustments to what she was wearing as at times she was too warm.

it really is all about how you dress - and layers alone are less important that what fibers those layers comprise of. when spending lots of time outside in this - you don't want bulk as that just inhibits your movements.

eta: beware dehydration - it will make you feel colder, so it is important to drink plenty of fluids.

Edited by gardenmom5

I guess we are just used to it. When I visited my home state down South in the winter, I would not wear my coat. I thought 35 was just too warm. My kids are always trying to run out the door with just sweatshirts. They only remember their coats when the wind is ripping.

I'm from the northwest, where we are quite temperate. (though winter low's in the 20's for part time is quite typical - it's the singles that are rare.) My girls choose a university in upstate NY. (negative lows for at least part of the time are normal.) 2dd was always cold. here. I learned many things about dressing for cold when I sent 1dd off. 2dd was not cold in NY, and would whinge that her friends went inside because they were cold - and she wasn't and wanted to play in the snow. she had to make adjustments to what she was wearing as at times she was too warm.

it really is all about how you dress - and layers alone are less important that what fibers those layers comprise of. when spending lots of time outside in this - you don't want bulk as that just inhibits your movements.

What fibers are we talking about here?? Everything I have is cotton, but I have tons of stuff on and blankets too which I'm not sure what they're made of. They belong to my mother. It's one of those super soft fluffy blanket thingys though.

Ay, I'm so cold. My hat goes off to ya'll that can hack this. I'm such a wimp in cold temps. I'll take my South Florida heat anyday. :D

That's t-shirt weather. You just get used to it and dress appropriately. Sounds like you need a humidifier to counteract the dryness. For me, if I get a chill and can't get warm, I have a hot, hot shower and then get bundled up again. Hot drinks help as well and hot water bottles in teh bed.

I grew up with -40. It was pretty cold but still doesn't stop us from leaving the house.

In our house we ***** and dream of moving some place warm again. Dh dreams of retiring to Belize. We might be able to afford a hammock slung between two palm trees, but that would be all you'd need right? :D

It snowed here the other day. I made use of my four-letter word language. Dh and I are both from the mid-west and hate the cold. We were in the south for five years, and moved back to be near family. It was the right decision, but I hate having two wardrobes again. It's been better this year than last, but I put on socks as a last resort.

Ha! I don't know. I find it cozy. I don't know how people can live in the south. I hate being hot, and air conditioning makes me feel sick.

LOL I think I'm the polar opposite. I would rather be hot than cold.

I guess we are just used to it. When I visited my home state down South in the winter, I would not wear my coat. I thought 35 was just too warm. My kids are always trying to run out the door with just sweatshirts. They only remember their coats when the wind is ripping.

:eek: I can't even imagine going out in 35 degrees with no coat. It's 50-something degrees out right now and I won't go out there. No way! hehehehee

It sounds like you need a humidifier. You won't get shocked and dry lips if you have some more moisture in your house.

I'm in my mom's house and she's got humidifiers running all over the place. There are at least 4 on right now. I still feel all dried out though and my hair is all spastic from the static. Could it be that I'm just too used to the really high humidity in Florida?? Where I live even our dry season has usually 70-80% humidity. I have no idea what the humidity is here in North Georgia.

I grew up in MN and have lived here most of my life. When it gets up to 28, I can run my errands without a coat. ;) I think it must be genetic or something. I know some people who moved here and just never adjusted.

I agree with the pps who said to get a humidifier. Also, you're probably going to want to buy economy-size tubs of good lotion. As you've noticed, cold weather is very drying.

I love the cold! If anything, I would move further north. We've barely had a winter here this year and I've hated it. I couldn't stand living in the heat. BLECH!

Definitely layers, and if you are too dry you feel much colder. Get a humidifier!!! I think that the body expels more liquid to keep you warm, and so drinking enough is also important.

You really just can't drop yourself into the cold and expect to be happy. One must acclimate to it. That takes a year or two of cooler summers along with colder winters. To me 60 is down right hot.

Amen sistah ;)! 60 makes me nervous....because soon it will be 70....:lol:!

Ay, I'm so cold. My hat goes off to ya'll that can hack this.

So are ya wearing a hat? Because it really does help. Even indoors.

Good socks (two layers if you only have cotton ones), leg warmers, wrist warmers, undershirt/cami, sweater, leggings, fleece.

Cotton is not ideal (as per dd's latest science fair project). Wool, polar fleece, stuff like that is better.

Also, take a hot shower in the morning, then move around throughout the day.

Is your heater working?

What Parrothead said..it's all about acclimating. After that, it's just preference. I would rather be cool and wear more clothes than be hot (read: anything over 80) and not be able to get cool. And I hate AC..to me, it's an unnatural-weird-doctor's-officey-feeling.

We went to Disneyworld in late September thinking it would be cooler and we were d y I n g. Eighty degrees and all of it as water! Gah.

That's t-shirt weather. You just get used to it and dress appropriately. Sounds like you need a humidifier to counteract the dryness. For me, if I get a chill and can't get warm, I have a hot, hot shower and then get bundled up again. Hot drinks help as well and hot water bottles in teh bed.

I grew up with -40. It was pretty cold but still doesn't stop us from leaving the house.

Oh my gosh!! -40!! :eek: :svengo: I cannot even fathom it. Nope. I just cannot even imagine it! :svengo: I would just totally drop dead I just know it. I would lose my will to live an any rate. ;)

I don't know, lol. I've lived in MN almost my whole life (except for a couple of years in NM and 4 months in GA). I think when you're born and raised in cold temps, it's not a big deal. We're used to the cold, snow and static .

I think that's my problem. I'm a 4th generation native South Floridian and before that my family came from the Caribbean so I think my blood is just too used to warm weather. I'm so so cold. I have a long sleeved thermal shirt on long sweat pants and toastees socks on plus slippers and a blanket. Every time I wash a dish or my hands or anything that involves the tap the water comes out ice freaking cold and takes forever to warm up. My sleeves keep falling and getting wet and so I'm going around with wet shirt sleeves. GRRRR I can't live like this!! :willy_nilly: At home I live in t-shirts and shorts. If it gets cold I put on socks and I'm fine. I don't know how I'm going to survive this visit with my mother! Why did she have to move so far away when she retired?? :svengo:

In our house we ***** and dream of moving some place warm again. Dh dreams of retiring to Belize. We might be able to afford a hammock slung between two palm trees, but that would be all you'd need right?

It snowed here the other day. I made use of my four-letter word language. Dh and I are both from the mid-west and hate the cold. We were in the south for five years, and moved back to be near family. It was the right decision, but I hate having two wardrobes again. It's been better this year than last, but I put on socks as a last resort.

LOL :grouphug: Belize is such a beautiful country, but they get hurricanes too so you might need a hammock for most days and then a concrete house for the more windy ones. ;)

LOL :grouphug: Belize is such a beautiful country, but they get hurricanes too so you might need a hammock for most days and then a concrete house for the more windy ones. ;)

I've been through tornado warnings most of my life (and ones close by) and we were so fortunate to have about 4 hurricanes while we in the south, 2 within 2 weeks of each other. :tongue_smilie: At least with the hurricane I'd have more than five minutes notice to roll up the hammock. :lol:

You know we could have the house here and visit in the late spring through fall, then pack the ol' hammock for Belize in the winter, miss the hurricane season, and I don't have to pack the books ever again.

I can see it now...my memoirs, Winters in Belize. :lol::lol: I'd probably have to drop by south Florida and visit. Did I mention I'm sick in bed? I might be delirious.

There is one good thing about winter, you don't have to shave your legs so often. It's an added layer of warmth.

I grew up in MN and have lived here most of my life. When it gets up to 28, I can run my errands without a coat. ;) I think it must be genetic or something. I know some people who moved here and just never adjusted.

I agree with the pps who said to get a humidifier. Also, you're probably going to want to buy economy-size tubs of good lotion. As you've noticed, cold weather is very drying.

When it warms up to 28?!?! :svengo: :eek:

Yeah, it's drying all right! And my cheeks are all rosy now too. My son's too I noticed. I only have Florida clothes with me which are obviously not warm enough. I don't want to buy a ton of new clothes because I'm just visiting here and won't need them for long and won't have any use for them when I go back home, but for the here and now I'm just trying to keep warmer. We're supposed to go out to Wallyworld when my mom gets back home so I'll look for a good lotion and get some back up lip balms. I only brought one with me and I have to put it on constantly.

You really just can't drop yourself into the cold and expect to be happy. One must acclimate to it. That takes a year or two of cooler summers along with colder winters. To me 60 is down right hot.

you must be right. I've never been in temps this cold at home even in our coldest winters.

I love the cold! If anything, I would move further north. We've barely had a winter here this year and I've hated it. I couldn't stand living in the heat. BLECH!

Definitely layers, and if you are too dry you feel much colder. Get a humidifier!!! I think that the body expels more liquid to keep you warm, and so drinking enough is also important.

I drink lots and lots because I'm used to drinking copious amounts of water at home, but the water is making me feel even colder. I can only drink so many hot liquids. I've had 2 cups of coffee already today and really just want to drink water, but it's too cold and I have it outside of the refrigerator on the counter top. :confused:

What Parrothead said..it's all about acclimating. After that, it's just preference. I would rather be cool and wear more clothes than be hot (read: anything over 80) and not be able to get cool. And I hate AC..to me, it's an unnatural-weird-doctor's-officey-feeling.

We went to Disneyworld in late September thinking it would be cooler and we were d y I n g. Eighty degrees and all of it as water! Gah.

Yeah, September is still considered summer in Florida. :p You're lucky it was only 80. It's usually in the 90's in September. You see, I can handle the heat because I know how to be in it, but I'm just so out of my element in the cold. I don't know what to do to get warm, hence this thread. :D hehe

So are ya wearing a hat? Because it really does help. Even indoors.

Good socks (two layers if you only have cotton ones), leg warmers, wrist warmers, undershirt/cami, sweater, leggings, fleece.

Cotton is not ideal (as per dd's latest science fair project). Wool, polar fleece, stuff like that is better.

Also, take a hot shower in the morning, then move around throughout the day.

Is your heater working?

My mom has a heater, but she sets it low and since I'm a guest in her house I don't want to mess with her settings. She's already basically told me not to touch her thermostat anyway. :p I've been moving around a lot. My son is like a F5 tornado so I'm always cleaning up after him, but as soon as I sit down I'm freezing.

What fibers are we talking about here?? Everything I have is cotton, but I have tons of stuff on and blankets too which I'm not sure what they're made of. They belong to my mother. It's one of those super soft fluffy blanket thingys though.

Ay, I'm so cold. My hat goes off to ya'll that can hack this. I'm such a wimp in cold temps. I'll take my South Florida heat anyday. :D

I never use cotton. up north at the trail heads for winter camps, they will sometimes inspect backpacks - those with cotton are sent back. They have signs that say "cotton kills". cotton asorbs 4x's its weight in water (including perspiration) - and takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to dry out. (one reason it is cooling in hot - dry- areas.) if you're inside, flannel, cord, and waffle weave can by nice as they are made to trap air, but I don't rely on them.

wool, silk, good quality acrylic, etc., are good, and polyester's (polar fleece is made from polyesters) can actually be heat retaining. the best will wick moisture from your skin and stay dry. (damp is cooling.)

fiber's that have air pockets are warmer than those that don't because they are trapping air and air insulates. long-staple wool is warm even when wet. silk has no bulk, and is surprisingly warm. (I bought myself a pair of synthetic 'silk' long underwear bottoms - re: cheap - they feel like nothing going on, but huge difference between wearing them and not. When I was a teen, I wore nylons under everything when I went skiing.)

You want to make sure your feet are warm, and your head is covered. and drink plenty of fluids so you aren't dehydrated.

Hot chocolate tastes best on a cold day.;)

Edited by gardenmom5

lol. I'm in upsate NY. We are pretty used to it but dh always talks about moving to the south. Ever since he was a rural mailman and had to dig his mail car out of a snowbank once a week and drive in all kinds of horrendous weather (and freeze his butt off with the window down), he's.. um.. not a fan of winter. :tongue_smilie:

I like it snowing outside when it's fluffy pretty snow and I can stay in the house and don't have to go anywhere. Snowmen are also fun, and sledding is fun. But freezing cold, sloppy snow, MUD in the spring, etc, all gets very old especially by Feb. (However, we've had barely ANY "winter" this year up here. SO weird. It has barely snowed!!)

I agree that you need a humidifier. And don't forget to use dryer sheets or your clothes will get horrible static. Also, if you have painfully chapped hands, get some aquaphor and a pair of $1 knit gloves (because they will get messy) and slather your hands with aquaphor and wear the gloves overnight. A night or 2 of that will make a dramatic improvement. I do this for my ds because his hands get so chapped they start bleeding! I keep telling dh that we need a humidifier, too! Furnaces really dry the air out.

It's funny, though, how used we can be to a certain kind of weather. Dh once asked someone who lived in the south if it ever snowed or got icy in order to compare to here. His friend said, don't get me wrong, sometimes I have to go out with a CD case and scrape the "ice" off my windshield. We thought that was hilarious! A CD case?! :lol:

I've been through tornado warnings most of my life (and ones close by) and we were so fortunate to have about 4 hurricanes while we in the south, 2 within 2 weeks of each other. At least with the hurricane I'd have more than five minutes notice to roll up the hammock. :

Was it in 2004 or 2005?? We had tons of hurricanes those two years. The 2005 season they ran out of letters of the alphabet to name them. They had to go to the Greek alphabet! :001_huh: Hurricanes are bad because they cover such a large area, but at least you know when they're coming and you can prepare. Tornadoes are so scary. You never know when they're going to come. We don't have tornado sirens here so it's so eerie when we get one because there is this big funnel cloud and no warning whatsoever other than the notice at the bottom of the screen if you happen to have the tv on, but if you don't have the tv on forget it.

You know we could have the house here and visit in the late spring through fall, then pack the ol' hammock for Belize in the winter, miss the hurricane season, and I don't have to pack the books ever again.

I can see it now...my memoirs, Winters in Belize. :lol::lol: I'd probably have to drop by south Florida and visit. Did I mention I'm sick in bed? I might be delirious.

LOL So you're saying you want to visit me but maybe not because you're delirious?? :001_huh: Jeez thanks! lol :lol: And I was going to say you'd be welcome to! hehehehe ;)

There is one good thing about winter, you don't have to shave your legs so often. It's an added layer of warmth.

:lol::lol:

I never use cotton. up north at the trail heads for winter camps, they will sometimes inspect backpacks - those with cotton are sent back. They have signs that say "cotton kills". cotton asorbs 4x's its weight in water (including perspiration) - and takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to dry out. (one reason it is cooling in hot - dry- areas.) if you're inside, flannel, cord, and waffle weave can by nice as they are made to trap air, but I don't rely on them.

wool, silk, good quality acrylic, etc., are good, and polyester's (polar fleece is made from polyesters) can actually be heat retaining. the best will wick moisture from your skin and stay dry. (damp is cooling.)

fiber's that have air pockets are warmer than those that don't because they are trapping air and air insulates. long-staple wool is warm even when wet. silk has no bulk, and is surprisingly warm. (I bought myself a pair of synthetic 'silk' long underwear bottoms - re: cheap - they feel like nothing going on, but huge difference between wearing them and not. When I was a teen, I wore nylons under everything when I went skiing.)

You want to make sure your feet are warm, and your head is covered. and drink plenty of fluids so you aren't dehydrated.

Hot chocolate tastes best on a cold day.;)

I think I'll pick some up when we go to Walmart. I only have cotton because that's all they really sell at home. Maybe I can find something warm up here that's not too pricey that I can wear while I'm here.

Was it in 2004 or 2005?? We had tons of hurricanes those two years. The 2005 season they ran out of letters of the alphabet to name them. They had to go to the Greek alphabet! :001_huh: Hurricanes are bad because they cover such a large area, but at least you know when they're coming and you can prepare. Tornadoes are so scary. You never know when they're going to come. We don't have tornado sirens here so it's so eerie when we get one because there is this big funnel cloud and no warning whatsoever other than the notice at the bottom of the screen if you happen to have the tv on, but if you don't have the tv on forget it.

LOL So you're saying you want to visit me but maybe not because you're delirious?? :001_huh: Jeez thanks! lol :lol: And I was going to say you'd be welcome to! hehehehe ;)

:lol::lol:

I will come visit when I am not delirious.

Our hurricanes were 2008 maybe? We moved south after the 2005 season, dh went down to rebuild my aunt's home that was destroyed by a hurricane.

We have another aunt that lives in Punta Gorda. For years she told us to move there, hurricanes never hit Punta Gorda. Statistically it was the least likely place. What happens the next year, hurricane smack dab in Punta Gorda. Their condo was destroyed, they were out of it for a year.

My son is unaffected by the cold, silly child. It's like 30-40 degrees and he's wearing shorts.

It's not cold until the nose hairs freeze. :D

1dd was so happy when that was her only challenge to being warm. :)

It snowed her first winter back in the nw after being in NY for four years. she ran outside to scream "It's not supposed to snow here!" (I don't think mother nature cared about her opinion.)

my hubby wears a warm hat inside, which looks ridiculous, but keeps him warm. he swears the heat escapes through his head. He doesn't have to get as bundled up as the boys and I do.

you lose heat through surface area. babies/young children have LOTS of surface area for their mass - so they cool faster.

Heads have a very large surface area proportionate to the body, but generally aren't covered by anything but hair so heat is gained or lost on the head.

so, wearing a hat will cut down on a lot of heat loss.

Edited by gardenmom5

I drink lots and lots because I'm used to drinking copious amounts of water at home, but the water is making me feel even colder. I can only drink so many hot liquids. I've had 2 cups of coffee already today and really just want to drink water, but it's too cold and I have it outside of the refrigerator on the counter top. :confused:

Yes, over-hydration will make you colder. Most people don't realize that! Fatty, salty foods might help raise your metabolism -- a hearty bowel of chili, a large baked potato stuffed with sour cream plus onions and cheese, even some ice cream (oddly enough). I find consuming plenty of healthy fats does more to keep my skin moisturized than drinking liquids or applying moisturizers does -- things like fish oil and coconut oil will raise your metabolism AND help keep your skin hydrated.

Ha! I don't know. I find it cozy. I don't know how people can live in the south. I hate being hot, and air conditioning makes me feel sick.

:iagree: Although AC doesn't make me sick, it's easier to warm up than it is to cool down.

ROFL - I've lived in MN my entire life so sympathy is going to be hard to conjure up here. I hate the extreme cold but I also hate the extreme warm. So in January and July, I'm crabby. But otherwise I dress accordingly and move on! :D Good luck - it won't feel as bad next year!

My husband wears a hat indoors all winter and I have hoodies, cardigans, fleece zip ups that I wear constantly in the winter too. Think layers!

my hubby wears a warm hat inside, which looks ridiculous, but keeps him warm. he swears the heat escapes through his head. He doesn't have to get as bundled up as the boys and I do.

LOL I see your screen name and I'm wondering if your dh is wearing one of those fluffy Russian hats?? That would be funny inside. :p

lol. I'm in upsate NY. We are pretty used to it but dh always talks about moving to the south. Ever since he was a rural mailman and had to dig his mail car out of a snowbank once a week and drive in all kinds of horrendous weather (and freeze his butt off with the window down), he's.. um.. not a fan of winter. :tongue_smilie:

I like it snowing outside when it's fluffy pretty snow and I can stay in the house and don't have to go anywhere. Snowmen are also fun, and sledding is fun. But freezing cold, sloppy snow, MUD in the spring, etc, all gets very old especially by Feb. (However, we've had barely ANY "winter" this year up here. SO weird. It has barely snowed!!)

I agree that you need a humidifier. And don't forget to use dryer sheets or your clothes will get horrible static. Also, if you have painfully chapped hands, get some aquaphor and a pair of $1 knit gloves (because they will get messy) and slather your hands with aquaphor and wear the gloves overnight. A night or 2 of that will make a dramatic improvement. I do this for my ds because his hands get so chapped they start bleeding! I keep telling dh that we need a humidifier, too! Furnaces really dry the air out.

Oh thanks for the tip on the aquafor. I'll have to ask my mom if I can put one of the humidifiers in my bedroom at night. :)

It's funny, though, how used we can be to a certain kind of weather. Dh once asked someone who lived in the south if it ever snowed or got icy in order to compare to here. His friend said, don't get me wrong, sometimes I have to go out with a CD case and scrape the "ice" off my windshield. We thought that was hilarious! A CD case?! :lol:

LOL Well where I live it doesn't snow at all. I'm 40 years old and still have never seen snow in my life. DD is hoping it will snow while we're here visiting my mom, but my mom says that the winter is too mild this year and it probably won't happen. Where I live, winter attire to me is a hoodie with my shorts and t shirts and socks with my sandals if it's really cold. :p hehe

:lol:

I have a friend who spent four years in rochester, NY. one day, she and her dh were talking a walk and thinking how positively balmy it was. it was 32F.

Balmy?? :ohmy: :svengo:

I will come visit when I am not delirious.

Our hurricanes were 2008 maybe? We moved south after the 2005 season, dh went down to rebuild my aunt's home that was destroyed by a hurricane.

We have another aunt that lives in Punta Gorda. For years she told us to move there, hurricanes never hit Punta Gorda. Statistically it was the least likely place. What happens the next year, hurricane smack dab in Punta Gorda. Their condo was destroyed, they were out of it for a year.

My son is unaffected by the cold, silly child. It's like 30-40 degrees and he's wearing shorts.

Oh that must have been hurricane Charley. Yeah, that was a bad one. It cut the island of Captiva in two! :eek:

Yes, over-hydration will make you colder. Most people don't realize that! Fatty, salty foods might help raise your metabolism -- a hearty bowel of chili, a large baked potato stuffed with sour cream plus onions and cheese, even some ice cream (oddly enough). I find consuming plenty of healthy fats does more to keep my skin moisturized than drinking liquids or applying moisturizers does -- things like fish oil and coconut oil will raise your metabolism AND help keep your skin hydrated.

:iagree: Although AC doesn't make me sick, it's easier to warm up than it is to cool down.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's funny you find it easier to warm up than cool down. For me it's the reverse. I'd much rather be hot than cold. First because I can tolerate high temps and still feel comfortable, but even when I'm really hot, I just have to wet my hair and it cools me off instantly. I guess it's just what we're used to. :)

ROFL - I've lived in MN my entire life so sympathy is going to be hard to conjure up here. I hate the extreme cold but I also hate the extreme warm. So in January and July, I'm crabby. But otherwise I dress accordingly and move on! :D Good luck - it won't feel as bad next year!

My husband wears a hat indoors all winter and I have hoodies, cardigans, fleece zip ups that I wear constantly in the winter too. Think layers!

Oh I hope I won't be here in the winter next year. We usually come to visit in the summer when it's super hot at home, but my brother could only travel in February so it's the only way I can see him.

Try gloves and good hand lotion for those chapped hands.

Thanks a bunch. :)

It's easier when you're here the whole year. Your body gradually gets used to it. That's why 50 now feels like heaven and 50 in September feels like Alaska. One year in college, I spent a semester in New Orleans. Coming home in December, I about froze to death. Everyone here was walking around with their coats open talk g about how warm it was that week. It's just what your body gets used to.

It's 55F here right now -- it was warmer earlier, but now the sun has set. So I threw a cardigan over my turtleneck to run some errands. I stopped by Trader Joe's, and saw a woman in a huge fluffy down coat and ski band (it's like a giant headband that covers your ears) tromping around like it was about 25F. I immediately thought of this thread.:001_smile:

Also, does anyone else read Yarn Harlot? This post about going to a zipline attraction in DR when it was 24C out and all the locals were going on about how cold it was (that's about 75F). :tongue_smilie: I suspect Ibbygirl can relate.

socks with my sandals if it's really cold. :p hehe

:willy_nilly::eek:

See, if you lived somewhere cold you wouldn't have to resort to such blatant fashion don'ts :D

Where I live it is typically 30-40% humidity. We love Aquaphor and Nivea chapstick. Sometimes we resort to a pot of water boiling on the stove to add moisture fast. It is hard to GET warm with blankets and clothing so it might help to take a hot bath and then STAY warm.

It's funny you find it easier to warm up than cool down. For me it's the reverse. I'd much rather be hot than cold. First because I can tolerate high temps and still feel comfortable, but even when I'm really hot, I just have to wet my hair and it cools me off instantly. I guess it's just what we're used to. :)

Oh, my, you don't understand -- in St. Louis we have it ALL! Over the summer we have weeks on end at over 100F, with overnight lows in the 80s and high humidity. The local swimming pools are as warm as bathtubs. This winter has been pretty mild -- just a little snow and cold -- but last year it was under 0F much of the time, and school was cancelled because the wind chill was so bad. People die of the heat in summer! People die of the cold in winter! We're equal opportunity!

So we do it ALL here, and it's a heck of a lot easier to do the cold :D

(Actually, I'm not sure why anyone chooses to live here -- the weather is truly carpy. Tornado alley. Plus the New Madrid fault as a bonus.)

Silk long underwear! No bulk tons of warmth.

Where do you buy something like that?? My mom lives in the country and the only big store around here is Walmart.

Humidifiers.

Layers. In the deepest part of winter (Chicago) I keep a light throw blanket wrapped around my waist.

House slippers. A thicker sole is better.

Lotion. Seriously. First thing, before you get dressed, slather on some lotion.

Thank you. :) I have some Cetaphil body cream that I've been using when I get out of the shower and my skin is still somewhat moist and I just bought a new deep moisturizing lotion tonight for hands and body. Hopefully it will help. :)

It's easier when you're here the whole year. Your body gradually gets used to it. That's why 50 now feels like heaven and 50 in September feels like Alaska. One year in college, I spent a semester in New Orleans. Coming home in December, I about froze to death. Everyone here was walking around with their coats open talk g about how warm it was that week. It's just what your body gets used to.

LOL Yeah, I guess it is. :) I'm just used to heat though.

It's 55F here right now -- it was warmer earlier, but now the sun has set. So I threw a cardigan over my turtleneck to run some errands. I stopped by Trader Joe's, and saw a woman in a huge fluffy down coat and ski band (it's like a giant headband that covers your ears) tromping around like it was about 25F. I immediately thought of this thread.

Also, does anyone else read Yarn Harlot? This post about going to a zipline attraction in DR when it was 24C out and all the locals were going on about how cold it was (that's about 75F). :tongue_smilie: I suspect Ibbygirl can relate.

LOL Yeah I can relate. My husband is Dominican and cold there is even rarer than it is in South Florida. He wears long sleeves all the time even in Florida except in the summer.

:willy_nilly::eek:

See, if you lived somewhere cold you wouldn't have to resort to such blatant fashion don'ts :D

Where I live it is typically 30-40% humidity. We love Aquaphor and Nivea chapstick. Sometimes we resort to a pot of water boiling on the stove to add moisture fast. It is hard to GET warm with blankets and clothing so it might help to take a hot bath and then STAY warm.

Oh I don't even care if I make a fashion faux pas when I'm cold. lol Besides when it's too cold I won't go anywhere so the socks and sandals would only be to go out to meet my son at the bus in front of my house (when he was still in PS) or to get the mail and I don't care what my neighbors think of my socks and sandals. :p hehe

Oh, my, you don't understand -- in St. Louis we have it ALL! Over the summer we have weeks on end at over 100F, with overnight lows in the 80s and high humidity. The local swimming pools are as warm as bathtubs. This winter has been pretty mild -- just a little snow and cold -- but last year it was under 0F much of the time, and school was cancelled because the wind chill was so bad. People die of the heat in summer! People die of the cold in winter! We're equal opportunity!

So we do it ALL here, and it's a heck of a lot easier to do the cold :D

(Actually, I'm not sure why anyone chooses to live here -- the weather is truly carpy. Tornado alley. Plus the New Madrid fault as a bonus.)

:ohmy: St. Louis sounds..... um.... lovely! :p hehehe The water here is super warm in the summer too. The pools are really hot and the ocean is like bath water.

You can order silk long underwear from Land's End or L.L. Bean. They might even be on sale now that winter's nearly over.

Thank you. :) My mom says tonight will be cold and it will warm up after that so if I'll try to hold off, but if it gets really cold again I may just order them. :)

:iagree:

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It's not cold until the nose hairs freeze. :D

:smilielol5:

I love the cold! I'd MUCH rather have cold weather and bundle up, than have hot weather where NOTHING helps! We haven't had much winter this year and I/we really miss it. Last week we got ten inches of snow and we were elated! I'd move further north long before I'd even consider going further south. :D