Menu

How do you cold weather people do this??

I think you get used to it. The body adjusts. It can be really hard to move from one climate to another, though. This winter has been very mild, but most winters I get excited when the temps get out of the single digits because that means its warm enough to go out and play. But it's warmer here than where I went to college - I remember trying to get my car started one morning and sitting there looking at a bank thermometer that read -30F. I couldn't start the car and I had an exam, so I had to walk. That wasn't fun!

We've hit 50 degrees a few times this winter (REALLY WEIRD) which means we get to go for walks wearing t-shirts and sneakers without coats or anything. It's crazy.

Anyhow, if you have a walmart nearby, I'd go and see if they have any clearanced long underwear. They probably don't have silk, but I know mine still has the men's waffle-weave type. Those are pretty inexpensive and probably on clearance. Also some warm fleece helps immensely over your other clothes. If all your layers are thin cotton, they are probably not helping that much. 2 or 3 layers of thicker material will be more comfortable and warmer. Long underwear, jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a heavy fleece or hoodie (the fleece kind, not the cotton kind) will go a long way.

It sounds like the humidity is either low or inconsistent where you are, no matter how many humidifiers they have running. The static thing is a sure sign. Are they just little room humidifiers or are they the bigger kind that are meant for a large space? The small ones are usually just meant for a bedroom (less than 150sqft) and if it's a decent sized house, 4 of those probably wouldn't be enough for the whole house. If you can put one in your bedroom at night though, that can make a HUGE difference for your skin. I find that I do fine in the dry house during the day if the room I sleep in is more humid.

Also, can you sip hot tea? The warmth helps and the steam will bring some moisture to your throat and lungs. How about a hot bath?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the cold! If anything, I would move further north. We've barely had a winter here this year and I've hated it. I couldn't stand living in the heat. BLECH!

:smilielol5:

I love the cold! I'd MUCH rather have cold weather and bundle up, than have hot weather where NOTHING helps! We haven't had much winter this year and I/we really miss it. Last week we got ten inches of snow and we were elated! I'd move further north long before I'd even consider going further south. :D

Even with the static electricity, the dry skin, the icy cold tap water and the chapped lips?? Heat is so much easier to deal with. You just wear light clothes and wet your hair if you get hot and sit in front of a fan. Easy! No dry lips or skin, no static, no snow or ice or layers and layers of clothes. Heat is much easier IMO. :) The only thing about the heat is that it also brings the hurricanes which are a PITA. :glare:

wintersilks.com they have five levels of weight for their long underwear.

Oh nice! :) Thanks for the link.

I think you get used to it. The body adjusts. It can be really hard to move from one climate to another, though. This winter has been very mild, but most winters I get excited when the temps get out of the single digits because that means its warm enough to go out and play. But it's warmer here than where I went to college - I remember trying to get my car started one morning and sitting there looking at a bank thermometer that read -30F. I couldn't start the car and I had an exam, so I had to walk. That wasn't fun!

We've hit 50 degrees a few times this winter (REALLY WEIRD) which means we get to go for walks wearing t-shirts and sneakers without coats or anything. It's crazy.

Anyhow, if you have a walmart nearby, I'd go and see if they have any clearanced long underwear. They probably don't have silk, but I know mine still has the men's waffle-weave type. Those are pretty inexpensive and probably on clearance. Also some warm fleece helps immensely over your other clothes. If all your layers are thin cotton, they are probably not helping that much. 2 or 3 layers of thicker material will be more comfortable and warmer. Long underwear, jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a heavy fleece or hoodie (the fleece kind, not the cotton kind) will go a long way.

It sounds like the humidity is either low or inconsistent where you are, no matter how many humidifiers they have running. The static thing is a sure sign. Are they just little room humidifiers or are they the bigger kind that are meant for a large space? The small ones are usually just meant for a bedroom (less than 150sqft) and if it's a decent sized house, 4 of those probably wouldn't be enough for the whole house. If you can put one in your bedroom at night though, that can make a HUGE difference for your skin. I find that I do fine in the dry house during the day if the room I sleep in is more humid.

Also, can you sip hot tea? The warmth helps and the steam will bring some moisture to your throat and lungs. How about a hot bath?

Walking in -30 degrees?? :svengo: You poor thing! That must have been awful! :grouphug:

I just googled my mom's town and it says the humidity is 25%!! I think that must be my problem. The humidity when I left home was 78%. Her house is actually an old barn so it's really large with big open spaces and high ceilings. She does just have the little humidifiers.

I don't know if she has a spare one that can go in my room or not, but I'm going to ask her. I bought some hot cocoa at the store and will try drinking that. As much as I love coffee I can only drink so much. lol

Thanks for the advice. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Even with the static electricity, the dry skin, the icy cold tap water and the chapped lips?? Heat is so much easier to deal with. You just wear light clothes and wet your hair if you get hot and sit in front of a fan. Easy! No dry lips or skin, no static, no snow or ice or layers and layers of clothes. Heat is much easier IMO. :) The only thing about the heat is that it also brings the hurricanes which are a PITA. :glare:

Oh nice! :) Thanks for the link.

Oh I can't handle heat. I feel tired and lethargic and queasy in the heat. I get snippy with my kids, I have zero patience and I just want to lay there and do nothing. You can only take off so many clothes when it's hot, especially if you have to go out in public. Wet hair makes me feel sweaty and clammy.

Cold is easy. Just put on more clothes, and maybe a hat. I've lived in houses where the heat didn't go above 55 and winter temps were in the single digits or below zero for several months. I've also lived where it was 80 most of the time (Southern California). I find the cold much easier to deal with than the heat! And yes, in my world 80 is uncomfortably hot. My ideal temperature is around 60. Warm enough that I don't have to wear layers, but cool enough that I don't get sweaty. :-D

Oh I can't handle heat. I feel tired and lethargic and queasy in the heat. I get snippy with my kids, I have zero patience and I just want to lay there and do nothing. You can only take off so many clothes when it's hot, especially if you have to go out in public. Wet hair makes me feel sweaty and clammy.

Cold is easy. Just put on more clothes, and maybe a hat. I've lived in houses where the heat didn't go above 55 and winter temps were in the single digits or below zero for several months. I've also lived where it was 80 most of the time (Southern California). I find the cold much easier to deal with than the heat! And yes, in my world 80 is uncomfortably hot. My ideal temperature is around 60. Warm enough that I don't have to wear layers, but cool enough that I don't get sweaty. :-D

:) Different strokes for different folks I guess. I grew up 2 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale beach and swimming was just always a way of life so wet hair is common and doesn't bother me. Different ways of life I guess. :)

I just googled my mom's town and it says the humidity is 25%!! I think that must be my problem. The humidity when I left home was 78%. Her house is actually an old barn so it's really large with big open spaces and high ceilings. She does just have the little humidifiers.

I don't know if she has a spare one that can go in my room or not, but I'm going to ask her. I bought some hot cocoa at the store and will try drinking that. As much as I love coffee I can only drink so much. lol

Thanks for the advice. :)

Take one of the little ones in with you when you go to bed. They're usually really easy to move. It would be worth it, IMO.

The high ceilings make the humidity issue worse. And if the humidity is 25% outside, it is probably MUCH LOWER inside because the heat lowers the humidity. If the house is drafty, that also exacerbates the humidity issue because the heat will have to be on more. When it warms up outside and the heat won't need to be on as much, it will help with the humidity issue too. Most people do not find humidity below 30% or so to be comfortable, and I'd bet that the humidity in the house right now is lower than that. I don't usually have issues with electric shocks and sparks until the humidity gets below 25%.

80 is horribly hot. When it is that hot, I have no energy at all. I get grumpy and lethargic. I agree, I think 60 is perfect, but I can deal with colder temps. 20 below is pretty cold, but it doesn't get that cold where I live too often.

LOL You'd hate Florida then. lol 80 is daytime winter temps! :p 94 degrees with near 100% humidity is hot!! :ack2:

80 is horribly hot. When it is that hot, I have no energy at all. I get grumpy and lethargic. I agree, I think 60 is perfect, but I can deal with colder temps. 20 below is pretty cold, but it doesn't get that cold where I live too often.

Yup, same here. I don't like 20 below, I agree it's really, really cold. But I still find that easier to deal with than 90 or 100. Actually just typing 100 degrees makes me want to go run outside. (Mid 20's right now)

Take one of the little ones in with you when you go to bed. They're usually really easy to move. It would be worth it, IMO.

The high ceilings make the humidity issue worse. And if the humidity is 25% outside, it is probably MUCH LOWER inside because the heat lowers the humidity. If the house is drafty, that also exacerbates the humidity issue because the heat will have to be on more. When it warms up outside and the heat won't need to be on as much, it will help with the humidity issue too. Most people do not find humidity below 30% or so to be comfortable, and I'd bet that the humidity in the house right now is lower than that. I don't usually have issues with electric shocks and sparks until the humidity gets below 25%.

Hopefully she'll let me have one. :) It must be what you say because I've only been here a few days and my skin is freaking out! :eek:

I don't think 20-30 degrees is terribly cold. It really depends upon the wind for me. I'd rather have a calm and sunny 20 degrees than 40 degrees in heavy winds. It's the wind that bites.

Layering is the key to staying warm. The top layer needs to be something that keeps out wind/rain. The middle layer(s) need to be insulating. The layer next to your skin needs to be thin and snug.

For inside the house, either move around(baking heats up the kitchen LOL) or snuggle under blankets.

I spent 2 years in NE OH *after* 6 years in NC. I wish I could package NC winters and OH summers and live there.:tongue_smilie: As it is, we are in the midwest where we have NC summers and OH winters...how did I mix that one up...:001_huh:

Ibbygirl remember that picture you posted to me of the dude in winter gear? That's how we handle it. Today all 4 kids looked like that outside playing in a foot of snow. It was a warm day, *only* -15C ;)

You need moisturizer, lip balm, vaseline on elbows and feet at night etc. When you are not used to the dryness of winter even with humidifiers you will notice your skin drying up

Oh, my, you don't understand -- in St. Louis we have it ALL! Over the summer we have weeks on end at over 100F, with overnight lows in the 80s and high humidity. The local swimming pools are as warm as bathtubs. This winter has been pretty mild -- just a little snow and cold -- but last year it was under 0F much of the time, and school was cancelled because the wind chill was so bad. People die of the heat in summer! People die of the cold in winter! We're equal opportunity!

So we do it ALL here, and it's a heck of a lot easier to do the cold :D

(Actually, I'm not sure why anyone chooses to live here -- the weather is truly carpy. Tornado alley. Plus the New Madrid fault as a bonus.)

My friend was born in upstate NY. then she spent a number of years in IL. Then she moved to Utah. She kept asking "when are you going to have weather? this isn't weather. when are you going to have weather?"

My ds is heading to Iowa. He's resigned to hot humid summers where you can see the drops hanging in the air and rain showers that will soak you in under 15 seconds, and cold icy snow in winter. (since he was going somehwere cold, he immediately asked for a pair of stegers. :lol: . yeah, my mom's cousin in NW Mo said they'd had hardly any snow this year - and summers have been cooler since the last time I was there. well, sheesh, it was *only* 98 and 90% humidity when I was there last. :tongue_smilie:).

He's always lived in the NW, where we have the reputation for rain - but rarely bother with an umbrella because it's not worth the bother. Our rain is rarely "rain", and more often drizzle or even heavy mist. He's experienced a typical thunder-rain squall in western IL - nothing like we have here. Of all my kids - I think he can handle the extremes the best.

eta: it's good farmland. (I come from farmers on my mom's side.)

You need long underwear and lots of other layers. I put on hand cream almost every time I wash my hands and lip salve frequently. My first winter here I would wear long underwear, two pairs of socks, lined jeans, turtle neck, fleece and down vest.

These days I'm more acclimatised and generally just wear lined jeans, Smartwool socks, camisole, turtle neck/flannel shirt and fleece, with a thick coat to go out in.

Laura

Since this is just a visit, go to the local thrift shop and see what you can find. Pick ip a couple sweaters, long sleave shirts and jeans. Then get the long johns/silk leggings everyone's talking about and layer. If you like skirts, I find that I'm warmest layering leggings and a thick skirt. You can hide a lot of layrrs under a skirt! Leave whatever you get at your mom's for the next visit. :)

I totally agree! The last two winters (not this one) in Houston were so much colder than normal and I was miserable. I would rather put up with 100 degree days in the summer than that. (However, this past summer was just too, too hot.) I could not do the extreme cold of the north. I can never get warm in the cold weather. However, give me air conditioning and I'm good for the summer. :)

\ When it gets up to 28, I can run my errands without a coat. ;) I think it must be genetic or something. I know some people who moved here and just never adjusted.

:lol: I did that today. Ran to the post office and saw it was 22 (but it was positive 22 lol) I was just in my jeans, t-shirt and hoodie. I looked at dh and said "kinda chilly today"

I, on the other hand, HATE the hot. I can not stand being hot, can not stand sweating (unless I am at the gym ;)) 90's and 100's I feel like I am dead. Can not function.

Funny, I'm from the upper midwest and yet when I traveled through the southwest during winter I was chilled to the bone. It's the humidity that feels cold, cold.

Our winters here are typically very long and cold, but they are a dry cold. You do get used to it, though -20 is brutal no matter. I feel cold easily. To cope with the cold, I wear long underwear from about late October through end of March (when it hits about 40 most days). My house heat is set at 71 and I utilize slippers and robes inside. Outside I dress in layers and a hat, scarf, warm gloves and coat are all a must. At night we love our electric blanket.

I battled with the cold here for a long time, but the older I get the more I can't handle the extreme heat either. I can always put more clothes on, but there are only so many I can take off:tongue_smilie:.

I swear, it took me probably a full 30 seconds before I realized what you were talking about. I thought you were telling me to take one of my little ones (my children) to bed with me. :confused: lol I think this cold is effecting my brain. I've been so tired and groggy since it got into the 20's and 30's. :closedeyes:

Yeah, this used to be a barn so it's big barn shaped, but it's like a typical house on the inside except for the very high and weird shaped ceilings. ;) I asked my mom and she said I could take one of the humidifiers in my room tonight. :) I've been slathering on lotion and lip balm. Hopefully I'll get sorted soon.

I don't think 20-30 degrees is terribly cold. It really depends upon the wind for me. I'd rather have a calm and sunny 20 degrees than 40 degrees in heavy winds. It's the wind that bites.

Layering is the key to staying warm. The top layer needs to be something that keeps out wind/rain. The middle layer(s) need to be insulating. The layer next to your skin needs to be thin and snug.

For inside the house, either move around(baking heats up the kitchen LOL) or snuggle under blankets.

I spent 2 years in NE OH *after* 6 years in NC. I wish I could package NC winters and OH summers and live there.:tongue_smilie: As it is, we are in the midwest where we have NC summers and OH winters...how did I mix that one up...:001_huh:

:) I was cooking a lot in the kitchen this morning and baking a pizza for my son to eat and that was more comfortable, but the tap water comes out ice cold and takes a long time to heat up and cleaning up the kitchen after dried my hands out even more. :(

I have said for years that I could never, ever live in the south. This is pretty much the whole entire reason.

Yeah, but those temps are really for only the months of August and September so it's bearable (to me :p ) The days are still long and there is plenty of sunshine so you don't get the blues like you do in the winter. My mom comes down to visit us 3-4 times a year and all of those visits are in the winter! lol She hates being here when everything is cold and dead and she gets the winter blues too and needs to be in the sun. She told me recently that she has to take Vitamin D supplements now too because she doesn't get enough. That's unheard of in Florida.

Ibbygirl remember that picture you posted to me of the dude in winter gear? That's how we handle it. Today all 4 kids looked like that outside playing in a foot of snow. It was a warm day, *only* -15C ;)

You need moisturizer, lip balm, vaseline on elbows and feet at night etc. When you are not used to the dryness of winter even with humidifiers you will notice your skin drying up

LOL Yep I remember the pic. Only -15 she says! You're nuts woman!! lol

28 degrees? We call that a heat wave! :D
Oh my!! :ohmy: LOL

My friend was born in upstate NY. then she spent a number of years in IL. Then she moved to Utah. She kept asking "when are you going to have weather? this isn't weather. when are you going to have weather?"

My ds is heading to Iowa. He's resigned to hot humid summers where you can see the drops hanging in the air and rain showers that will soak you in under 15 seconds, and cold icy snow in winter. (since he was going somehwere cold, he immediately asked for a pair of stegers. :lol: . yeah, my mom's cousin in NW Mo said they'd had hardly any snow this year - and summers have been cooler since the last time I was there. well, sheesh, it was *only* 98 and 90% humidity when I was there last. :tongue_smilie:).

He's always lived in the NW, where we have the reputation for rain - but rarely bother with an umbrella because it's not worth the bother. Our rain is rarely "rain", and more often drizzle or even heavy mist. He's experienced a typical thunder-rain squall in western IL - nothing like we have here. Of all my kids - I think he can handle the extremes the best.

eta: it's good farmland. (I come from farmers on my mom's side.)

LOL What are stegers??

You need long underwear and lots of other layers. I put on hand cream almost every time I wash my hands and lip salve frequently. My first winter here I would wear long underwear, two pairs of socks, lined jeans, turtle neck, fleece and down vest.

These days I'm more acclimatised and generally just wear lined jeans, Smartwool socks, camisole, turtle neck/flannel shirt and fleece, with a thick coat to go out in.

Laura

Thanks so much Laura. I know you've lived in tropical climes before too. How long did it take you to get acclimated??

28 sounds like appropriate winter weather to me... I'm jealous! :tongue_smilie:

LOL My mom lives about 3 hours from the Tennessee border, but she's up in the mountains less than a mile from North Carolina.

Since this is just a visit, go to the local thrift shop and see what you can find. Pick ip a couple sweaters, long sleave shirts and jeans. Then get the long johns/silk leggings everyone's talking about and layer. If you like skirts, I find that I'm warmest layering leggings and a thick skirt. You can hide a lot of layrrs under a skirt! Leave whatever you get at your mom's for the next visit. :)

Thanks. I think she does have a thrift store in town. :)

I totally agree! The last two winters (not this one) in Houston were so much colder than normal and I was miserable. I would rather put up with 100 degree days in the summer than that. (However, this past summer was just too, too hot.) I could not do the extreme cold of the north. I can never get warm in the cold weather. However, give me air conditioning and I'm good for the summer. :)

Hear Hear! My thoughts exactly. August and september are only two months and once you get through them it's not so bad. Yeah it's still hot, but it's not slit your wrists hot anymore.:tongue_smilie:

It all depends on what you're used to. When I went to work this morning, it was 25 degrees and I just wore a sweatshirt. Usually this time of year it's WAY colder so I was thrilled.

Brrrrrrr Not even a jacket?? Wow! :ohmy: You're a tough lady! :)

Funny, I'm from the upper midwest and yet when I traveled through the southwest during winter I was chilled to the bone. It's the humidity that feels cold, cold.

Our winters here are typically very long and cold, but they are a dry cold. You do get used to it, though -20 is brutal no matter. I feel cold easily. To cope with the cold, I wear long underwear from about late October through end of March (when it hits about 40 most days). My house heat is set at 71 and I utilize slippers and robes inside. Outside I dress in layers and a hat, scarf, warm gloves and coat are all a must. At night we love our electric blanket.

I battled with the cold here for a long time, but the older I get the more I can't handle the extreme heat either. I can always put more clothes on, but there are only so many I can take off:tongue_smilie:.

I've always suspected that the humidity makes the cold colder. When we get cold snaps in South Florida, I freeze and am soooo cold. There was a winter a few years ago where it got down to 55 degrees in the daytime. That's usually an overnight temperature for us here and things warm up quickly once the sun comes out. I had had a field trip that day so I had to go out and I was so cold my hands were numb. That same feeling was more like what it felt like here at my mom's house when it was in the low 40's and it was different still because I didn't have the ache in my bones the way I do when it gets cold in South Florida. Maybe because all our cold fronts typically come with rain before them? They're wet and cold and they make my bones ache and I feel so chilled. It usually only lasts a very few days though.

My mom is like you. She was so sick of the heat and the hurricanes so when she retired she moved way up here to the mountains. She doesn't like the winter, but she deals with it by just coming down and staying with family.

I am originally from the PNW, but have since lived all over.

I spent 4 years in Colorado Springs, people kept telling me I'd get used to the cold...I never did. Although, when I moved to San Antonio after Colorado Springs, the entire first winter I only turned on my heat a few times and never needed more than a light jacket! By the 2nd winter I needed heat more often and occasionally wore a winter coat.

I get used to warm easier and quicker than cold. I also don't mind heat with humidity as long as I'm not pregnant.

Just be glad it's not so cold your nose hairs freeze and the snow crunches when you step on it, that's crazy cold, it got that cold in Colorado and Ohio a few times when I lived in those places.

We have friends that moved to hot with high humidity straight from Alaska, their first summer was torture.

I've always suspected that the humidity makes the cold colder.

Yes, the more humid it is, the more the cold seeps into your bones.

But, if it's cold enough, even a "dry" cold is bad--Colorado is a dry cold, and snow crunching, nose hair freezing "dry" cold is not fun. But, 40 degrees in that dry climate is better than 40 degrees in a humid climate.

I am originally from the PNW, but have since lived all over.

I spent 4 years in Colorado Springs, people kept telling me I'd get used to the cold...I never did. Although, when I moved to San Antonio after Colorado Springs, the entire first winter I only turned on my heat a few times and never needed more than a light jacket! By the 2nd winter I needed heat more often and occasionally wore a winter coat.

I get used to warm easier and quicker than cold. I also don't mind heat with humidity as long as I'm not pregnant.

Just be glad it's not so cold your nose hairs freeze and the snow crunches when you step on it, that's crazy cold, it got that cold in Colorado and Ohio a few times when I lived in those places.

Okay, you're the second person to mention freezing nose hairs! lol What happens when your nose hair freezes that makes it so awful??

We have friends that moved to hot with high humidity straight from Alaska, their first summer was torture.

:eek: :svengo: I can just imagine. Hopefully they didn't have any hurricanes to contend with too. That must have been rough.

Yes, the more humid it is, the more the cold seeps into your bones.

But, if it's cold enough, even a "dry" cold is bad--Colorado is a dry cold, and snow crunching, nose hair freezing "dry" cold is not fun. But, 40 degrees in that dry climate is better than 40 degrees in a humid climate.

I believe you. I am experiencing that here myself. When it was 68 degrees the other day and sunny, it felt like how it feels when it's in the mid-high 70's back home in South Florida.

Okay, you're the second person to mention freezing nose hairs! lol What happens when your nose hair freezes that makes it so awful??

Well, it feels weird, and it's just not right. Plus, if it's cold enough to freeze your nose hairs, it's really cold no matter how well you dress for the weather.

Well, it feels weird, and it's just not right. Plus, if it's cold enough to freeze your nose hairs, it's really cold no matter how well you dress for the weather.

What do people do to protect their eyes when it's that cold?? My eyeballs burn when it gets too cold. I can't imagine what it would do with a real below zero winter. :ohmy:

What do people do to protect their eyes when it's that cold?? My eyeballs burn when it gets too cold. I can't imagine what it would do with a real below zero winter. :ohmy:

If you're skiing, you wear goggles.

If your just walking from your car to a store or down the block for something, you just suffer.

I'm not sure what people do if they're going to be out in really cold for a long time, I imagine the Canada moms can tell us. We have a friend who married a Canadian, he has a great story about meeting her family in Northern Canada and looking at them like they're crazy when they ask him if he wants to go for a walk (it was below zero, I can't remember the exact temperature.) They also took a baby out on this walk, you should see the look on his face when he tells the story and says, "You're taking a baby out in this weather?"

If your just walking from your car to a store or down the block for something, you just suffer.

I'm not sure what people do if they're going to be out in really cold for a long time, I imagine the Canada moms can tell us. We have a friend who married a Canadian, he has a great story about meeting her family in Northern Canada and looking at them like they're crazy when they ask him if he wants to go for a walk (it was below zero, I can't remember the exact temperature.) They also took a baby out on this walk, you should see the look on his face when he tells the story and says, "You're taking a baby out in this weather?"

:lol::lol: Oh my!! I wouldn't go either. It was in the high 40's for most of the daytime today and I wouldn't go outside at all! No way. I can't even imagine wanting to go out in weather like what you are describing and with a baby too! :svengo: lol

On the flip side, I have funny stories of Canadians and other cold climate peoples and how they look when they arrive at the international airport in Miami. lol I went to Europe in September of '96 and on the flight back (direct flight 13 hours non-stop) from Holland to Miami, the Dutch and other European passengers all looked so chic in their leather jackets and such on the plane. I saw those same people after we landed sitting half naked while waiting for taxis and their baggage all red faced and sweaty with their hair all a mess. :lol: :lol: It was so funny. It was cold in Holland in September, but in South Florida that's still part of the summer doldrums. :p hehehehehe

Edited by Ibbygirl

Well if it is nose hair freezing weather you are not out much lol However below zero is a fact of life here in Alberta from mid-oct until April. We go out in it. Today was -15C (or so) so 5F. The kids were outside playing for hours. There was pretty much no wind so no worry about their eyes. They had on a toque, scarf, parka, snowpants, winter boots and mittens. They came in once a hour or so to trade out scarf and mittens for new ones. The scarf is not just for around the neck. You tie it in the back with it across your face to keep your cheeks, nose and mouth warm. All you could see on them were their eyes. A balaclava (sp?) is good for that too. If there is a high wind and it is that cold you do not go out too long because those are general wind chill warning days, the kind where you can get frostbite in minutes. those are the days you only go from house to car and back if you absolutely must.

A few weeks back when I posted to the board that it was -51C here, that was a day that no matter how many layers you have on it is cold. Generally once you hit -30C that is the case and you do not stay out much. Out here the limit for schools to keep the kids indoors for recess is -21C with or without the wind. So if it is -3 but the wind is blowing enough to feel like -21 they stay in. Otherwise it is outdoor recess everyday. If it is indoor recess due windchill warnings (basically if it is -30 or colder) scouts/guides/4H is cancelled and daycares keep the kids indoors. As well the bus students do not wait outside for their buses after school on those days they wait in the gym and are walked as a group out to their waiting bus to ensure no kid is standing out there freezing.

Canadians are a harder bunch when it comes to cold weather but we are not reckless in it either. There is a limit to how much we are out in the extreme temps.

I'm in Alaska but this was one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record. We had too may days below zero this winter. 28 degrees is warm to me. My son is super sensitive to the cold but even he thinks will play without complaint in 28 degrees. After a cold winter it warmed up to 30 degrees and dd kept mentioning how warm it was like it was summer. All you have to do is wear layers to stay warm. Wool and fleece are light and warm and they make thin polyester and wool inner layers. You can put hand warmers in gloves and socks and layer up on those too. If I take my kids out and it really cold I do two pair of socks, two pair of gloves, a light polyester layer, fleece pants and a wool or fleece sweater. Then I do a fleece coat and a fleece bunting for the baby and winter coats and snow pants for my older 2. Plus a fleece and wool hat and hand warmers if it is really cold. If it is in the 20s or 30s they don't need the hand warmers and extra socks and gloves. I don't go out in below 0 weather and my ds doesn't last long unless it is 20 no matter how he is dressed. There is an outdoor playgroup around here where they go out all year long twice a week no matter what the weather is.

There only so much you can take off when it is too hot. In the summer it nice to be where it isn't hot and humid and you can be comfortable. I do not enjoy the super cold weather that is below freezing but I don't mind winter weather and snow. You just need to dress for it and adapt.

Edited by MistyMountain

Thanks so much Laura. I know you've lived in tropical climes before too. How long did it take you to get acclimated??

We arrived in August and by the following winter we were fine. The first winter the temperature didn't go too low, but the next one was cold (-18 degrees centigrade) and we coped fine with good clothes.

We have Lands' End jackets and I find the temperature recommendations to be inaccurate. I think they must test based on absolute readings in dry air, not how more humid, windy air feels. We bought jackets which should have been much too cosy for the climate (knowing that we would feel the cold more) and even now that we have acclimatised, they are still not too warm.

Laura

...and then 90 and 100. :glare:

Well actually 80 comes first. ;) :p hehehe *ducks and runs away* :auto:

I'm in Alaska but this was one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record. We had too may days below zero this winter. 28 degrees is warm to me. My son is super sensitive to the cold but even he thinks will play without complaint in 28 degrees. After a cold winter it warmed up to 30 degrees and dd kept mentioning how warm it was like it was summer. All you have to do is wear layers to stay warm. Wool and fleece are light and warm and they make thin polyester and wool inner layers. You can put hand warmers in gloves and socks and layer up on those too. If I take my kids out and it really cold I do two pair of socks, two pair of gloves, a light polyester layer, fleece pants and a wool or fleece sweater. Then I do a fleece coat and a fleece bunting for the baby and winter coats and snow pants for my older 2. Plus a fleece and wool hat and hand warmers if it is really cold. If it is in the 20s or 30s they don't need the hand warmers and extra socks and gloves. I don't go out in below 0 weather and my ds doesn't last long unless it is 20 no matter how he is dressed. There is an outdoor playgroup around here where they go out all year long twice a week no matter what the weather is.

There only so much you can take off when it is too hot. In the summer it nice to be where it isn't hot and humid and you can be comfortable. I do not enjoy the super cold weather that is below freezing but I don't mind winter weather and snow. You just need to dress for it and adapt.

I saw that on the news that ya'll got pounded this winter. You see, that's what I find scary. When ya'll get a big snow storm and the power goes out what do you do?? I reckon you can run generators, but what if the gas runs out?? Hurricanes may be awful, but when the power goes out there's no chance you'll freeze to death, kwim?? How did your family fare in that big storm you all got?? I hope that you didn't lose your power. That would be dreadful. :grouphug:

Oh and completely unrelated, but I always wonder if your screen name comes from the Led Zeppelin song Misty Mountain Hop and since you're talking to me I guess it's a good time to ask. :p hehe

We arrived in August and by the following winter we were fine. The first winter the temperature didn't go too low, but the next one was cold (-18 degrees centigrade) and we coped fine with good clothes.

We have Lands' End jackets and I find the temperature recommendations to be inaccurate. I think they must test based on absolute readings in dry air, not how more humid, windy air feels. We bought jackets which should have been much too cosy for the climate (knowing that we would feel the cold more) and even now that we have acclimatised, they are still not too warm.

Laura

:) So it took a year with proper clothing. That's a little longer than I'll be here visiting so I guess I'll just have to tough it out. My aunt called me yesterday and told me it was 84 F in South Florida when it was in the low 40's here at my mom's. Today is 50 and the static isn't as bad so I'm not quite so freezing as I was yesterday. I do miss the sun though. It seems cloudy outside when it's really not. :confused:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful advice. I'm bearing up a little better today and your suggestions have been very helpful. :) One more question though. Is there a trick to keeping your sleeves up so they don't get wet when you wash your hands or dishes or something?? Every time I push my sleeves up, they keep falling down mid wash and get wet. :glare: Is there a trick ya'll have to keep that from happening? Ugh, I'm such a warm weather girl. I'm only used to short sleeves.

Oh my!! :ohmy: LOL

LOL What are stegers??

stegers

When my girls went to NY, I bought them each a pair of stegers boots. (just the traditionals. pricey, but VERY durable) 2ds abscounded with 2dd's during her Christmas break (they had a month off.) so he became familiar with them. he even got to wear them in the snow here. (it beat him always taking my sheepskin boots.) the girls wore them all four years, and they still have lots of life.

I was so happy when his feet got too big to fit in any of my shoes.

Edited by gardenmom5

stegers

When my girls went to NY, I bought them each a pair of stegers boots. (pricey, but VERY durable) 2ds abscounded with 2dd's during her Christmas break (they had a month off.) so he became familiar with them. he even got to wear them in the snow here. (it beat him always taking my sheepskin boots.) the girls wore them all four years, and they still have lots of life.

I was so happy when his feet got too big to fit in any of my shoes.

:) Those look warm.

:grouphug: I bundle up and pray for spring.

Get some humidity in the house to combat the zapping; boiling water on the stove helps.

Turn up the heat...:grouphug:

Ugh, I've been in North Georgia for the last 4 days and I'm absolutely FREEZING!! It was 28 degrees last night! :svengo: I've never been in 28 degrees before. My lips are all chapped, my hands are drying out and cracking, everything I touch gives me a static electricity shock... My son is afraid to touch anything because he gets shocked so much. This morning he got so frustrated he just started crying. I have so many clothes on, socks, slippers, blankets and I can't get warm. How do you cold weather people do this every winter?? I'm dyin' here! :eek:

(IbbyGirl, this is your Girl Scout troop advisor speaking.)

YOU create the warmth for your clothes or bed or sleeping bag or coat -- not the other way around. So, to be seriously comfy when it's cold, even indoors, you want multiple, light and medium weight clothing layers that will trap layers of AIR which are warmed by your metabolism. The clothing needs to be made of materials that won't be instantly compromised by sweat or other moisture. Cotton is an excellent sponge, which is why the poor stuff will be criticized mercilessly here. As soon as it is damp, cotton ceases to warm you because it cannot accommodate air.

Do NOT think you can wear the same little ole cotton shirt, cotton socks, and jeans that made you happy in GA in the summer -- and just slap on a big, fat coat to stay warm. It won't work. Bikini under a mink coat? No.

Here's Ms. Tia's prescription for cold southern sisters.

First, let's start with your insides. Go to the bathroom (now you don't have to heat the contents of your bladder). Stop giggling. Next, drink some nice hot tea. (Soon, you will need to repeat the first step, but staying HYDRATED keeps you warm and even less chapped.) Drink! Drink!

Now, put on an utterly dry layer next to your skin. It should be close-fitting to keep that air layer next to your skin, but not skin-tight. Best fiber choices: polyprop, silk, polyester, and blends. If you cannot avoid cotton, which is the worst choice, it's not the end of the world. But you can be creative about avoiding a cotton underlayer, without running out to REI for hi-performance gear. Perhaps you have a bathing suit or lycra-filled exercise gear? A bike shirt? A rash guard? Something er, more racy, that you've not worn since the wedding? (You're not dressing to impress, but to stay warm for a day of homeschooling, right?) I leave it to you, but ideal underlayers include thin, non-cotton, long bottoms and a nice, long turtleneck (preferably not cotton, but it will do, especially if you have a non-cotton-something underneath). The closer fitting tunnel of the neck stops warm air from shooting off your torso every time you turn your head. Remember, YOU are what warms your clothing.

On top of the turtleneck comes the sweater. Doesn't have to be thick (in fact, loopy knits hold lots of air bubbles). Don't make it terribly tight. Steal hubby's if you must. That air layer is what you want. Freedom to move, without sweating too much. Sweat will make you cold.

Now, a vest. Holds core torso heat, and easy to put on and off to adjust your temperature. Using clothing to regulate your temperature -- instead of living naked in the tropics where we started -- means you'll be taking layers on and off. Frequently.

Did I skip your feet? Oh, dear! They're essential. Here's the thing: ditch the cotton socks. Granny means it. Instead, put on $4 thin silk or poly liners (or cheapo nylon knee highs), THEN socks with as much wool as you can find. Don't make them skin-tight, or you lose that warm air layer I keep harping on. You want to be able to use your feet, not lose the sensation in them. Don't make them sweat, or you'll just get cold again. Some people who don't usually wear shoes indoors will do it when their feet are very cold. You could consider that.

There. Now you should be warm enough to go make yourself another hot cuppa.

With love,

Granny Tia