Menu

How do you cold weather people do this??

LOL I am on my way to VA tomorrow (from upstate NY) and packing shorts for my son. My cousin, who I am visiting, said that it's not shorts weather... but maybe it will be for us. :tongue_smilie:

Of course, I've got breastfeeding hormones running rampant through my body, so it's T-shirt weather for me right now anyway. Before that it was pregnancy hormones... I was wearing sandals (without socks) into December. (except on days it snowed... then I had to wear my white sneakers with my work slacks... there was really no fashion "do" available for me.)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that on the news that ya'll got pounded this winter. You see, that's what I find scary. When ya'll get a big snow storm and the power goes out what do you do?? I reckon you can run generators, but what if the gas runs out?? Hurricanes may be awful, but when the power goes out there's no chance you'll freeze to death, kwim?? How did your family fare in that big storm you all got?? I hope that you didn't lose your power. That would be dreadful.

Oh and completely unrelated, but I always wonder if your screen name comes from the Led Zeppelin song Misty Mountain Hop and since you're talking to me I guess it's a good time to ask. hehe

The big storm they were talking about on the news didn't come here but we have had some snow storms and a lot more than usual. I do worry about the power going out in the winter. We can have a bad earth quake and the thought of a bad earthquake and the power being off does worry me.

I do like that Led Zeppelin song but I came up with the screen name on another board I used to be joined to. I couldn't think of a screen name and at the time my screen saver was a picture of a mountain with mist all around it from a trip to somewhere in Alaska we took. I decided to use that picture for an avi and had mistymountain as the screen name.

WE moved to FL from PA almost 9 years ago and my constant FL winter comment is "How did my mom do it with 4 of us during Philly winters?" For the life of me I can't imagine getting 4 kids up, dressed, and out the door in the frigid cold, let alone the snow!

I have to DRAG my FL kiddos out of bed when it's cold (cold means 60 to them btw) and it's a drama fest to get them actually moving.

We visited NJ a few years ago when it was bitter, bitter cold and they thought it was fun to dress up in hats, scarves, mitten, etc... FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

standard are rated to -20F (you can make adaptations to take them lower - as in arctic/antarctic). they are also very lightweight so they aren't tiring to walk in the way heavy boots are.

Wow!! Those are some serious boots!

I bundle up and pray for spring.

Get some humidity in the house to combat the zapping; boiling water on the stove helps.

Turn up the heat...

:grouphug::grouphug: Thanks hon. :)

Cold is when your eyelashes freeze. Nose hair freezing is getting there.

When you know no better, you just deal.

Or, we're simply a heartier breed :tongue_smilie:

LOL Well, I think "hearty" is relative. Ya'll win hands down for hearty in the cold, but come on down here and visit me in the heat of the summer when it is 94-95 F and 100% humidity and see how hardy you are. ;) :p I can work all day outside in the heat of the summer and be just fine. I don't burn when I'm out in the sun all day and the heat doesn't bother me. Are you up to the challenge Imp. ;) :D hehehehe

(IbbyGirl, this is your Girl Scout troop advisor speaking.)

YOU create the warmth for your clothes or bed or sleeping bag or coat -- not the other way around. So, to be seriously comfy when it's cold, even indoors, you want multiple, light and medium weight clothing layers that will trap layers of AIR which are warmed by your metabolism. The clothing needs to be made of materials that won't be instantly compromised by sweat or other moisture. Cotton is an excellent sponge, which is why the poor stuff will be criticized mercilessly here. As soon as it is damp, cotton ceases to warm you because it cannot accommodate air.

Do NOT think you can wear the same little ole cotton shirt, cotton socks, and jeans that made you happy in GA in the summer -- and just slap on a big, fat coat to stay warm. It won't work. Bikini under a mink coat? No.

Here's Ms. Tia's prescription for cold southern sisters.

First, let's start with your insides. Go to the bathroom (now you don't have to heat the contents of your bladder). Stop giggling. Next, drink some nice hot tea. (Soon, you will need to repeat the first step, but staying HYDRATED keeps you warm and even less chapped.) Drink! Drink!

Now, put on an utterly dry layer next to your skin. It should be close-fitting to keep that air layer next to your skin, but not skin-tight. Best fiber choices: polyprop, silk, polyester, and blends. If you cannot avoid cotton, which is the worst choice, it's not the end of the world. But you can be creative about avoiding a cotton underlayer, without running out to REI for hi-performance gear. Perhaps you have a bathing suit or lycra-filled exercise gear? A bike shirt? A rash guard? Something er, more racy, that you've not worn since the wedding? (You're not dressing to impress, but to stay warm for a day of homeschooling, right?) I leave it to you, but ideal underlayers include thin, non-cotton, long bottoms and a nice, long turtleneck (preferably not cotton, but it will do, especially if you have a non-cotton-something underneath). The closer fitting tunnel of the neck stops warm air from shooting off your torso every time you turn your head. Remember, YOU are what warms your clothing.

On top of the turtleneck comes the sweater. Doesn't have to be thick (in fact, loopy knits hold lots of air bubbles). Don't make it terribly tight. Steal hubby's if you must. That air layer is what you want. Freedom to move, without sweating too much. Sweat will make you cold.

Now, a vest. Holds core torso heat, and easy to put on and off to adjust your temperature. Using clothing to regulate your temperature -- instead of living naked in the tropics where we started -- means you'll be taking layers on and off. Frequently.

Did I skip your feet? Oh, dear! They're essential. Here's the thing: ditch the cotton socks. Granny means it. Instead, put on $4 thin silk or poly liners (or cheapo nylon knee highs), THEN socks with as much wool as you can find. Don't make them skin-tight, or you lose that warm air layer I keep harping on. You want to be able to use your feet, not lose the sensation in them. Don't make them sweat, or you'll just get cold again. Some people who don't usually wear shoes indoors will do it when their feet are very cold. You could consider that.

There. Now you should be warm enough to go make yourself another hot cuppa.

With love,

Granny Tia

LOL You win hands down for the best post in this thread! You get the first place trophy! trophy.jpg :thumbup: :hurray: hehehehe Thanks for all the great advice and the entertaining read. If you're not a writer you really should be. You have a wonderful way with words. :)

Muchisimas gracias Tia :p

LOL I am on my way to VA tomorrow (from upstate NY) and packing shorts for my son. My cousin, who I am visiting, said that it's not shorts weather... but maybe it will be for us. :tongue_smilie:

Of course, I've got breastfeeding hormones running rampant through my body, so it's T-shirt weather for me right now anyway. Before that it was pregnancy hormones... I was wearing sandals (without socks) into December. (except on days it snowed... then I had to wear my white sneakers with my work slacks... there was really no fashion "do" available for me.)

LOL :thumbup:

The big storm they were talking about on the news didn't come here but we have had some snow storms and a lot more than usual. I do worry about the power going out in the winter. We can have a bad earth quake and the thought of a bad earthquake and the power being off does worry me.

I do like that Led Zeppelin song but I came up with the screen name on another board I used to be joined to. I couldn't think of a screen name and at the time my screen saver was a picture of a mountain with mist all around it from a trip to somewhere in Alaska we took. I decided to use that picture for an avi and had mistymountain as the screen name.

It sounds like a nice picture. :) I'm glad that the storm didn't affect you. :grouphug:

We think spring is here if we get to 28 ABOVE! We still see -20 to -25 at night for February. The sun is so strong here though, that you can be in shirt sleeves at -20. I have some great pictures of my ds's Eagle project--all the boys with their coats off and it was -22 that morning.

Wow!!! :ohmy: I can't even imagine it! But the sun I guess reflects off the snow too, no? The way it reflects off the water??

WE moved to FL from PA almost 9 years ago and my constant FL winter comment is "How did my mom do it with 4 of us during Philly winters?" For the life of me I can't imagine getting 4 kids up, dressed, and out the door in the frigid cold, let alone the snow!

I have to DRAG my FL kiddos out of bed when it's cold (cold means 60 to them btw) and it's a drama fest to get them actually moving.

We visited NJ a few years ago when it was bitter, bitter cold and they thought it was fun to dress up in hats, scarves, mitten, etc... FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

LOL I don't know how they do it either. Where are you at in Florida? I see you're on the east coast. Me too. :) I'm just north of Miami. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl