Menu

Less toxic ways to control dandelions?

We bought this house last winter, and when spring arrived were not-so-pleased to find more dandelions and clover than grass in the yard. I'm really, really hesitant to throw a bunch of herbicides at it, but looking ahead to the coming spring I really need some way to control the dandelions (clover too). I don't care about a picture-perfect lawn, but I want my kids to be able to run around barefoot without getting stung by bees (which is what happened last year--all those flowers bring lots of happy pollinators!)

I know that weeds indicate a need for nitrogen and other nutrients, so I'm going to address that--but what else can I do? It's a big yard, there are thousands of dandelions...

--Sarah

I use a dandelion puller (long wooden handle with a metal tined contraption on the end) and pull them out by the roots. Once you've removed all the dandelions, it's easy to keep on top of any that show up in the future. It's a big job, but worth it.

I tried this last year--we pulled hundreds of dandelions, but I don't think we even made a dent in the total dandelion population :-( I suppose I could put my kids to work--wonder if they'd do it for a penny each???

I wonder if boiling water would work. [And think how cute you'd look, walking around the yard with your teakettle! :D] I use boiling water to kill weeds on our sidewalks and it works very well. The weeds turn brown and die after a day or two. Hot, sunny days are best for this method.

I love dandelions. I want a yard of them. I will say that kids are the best control, though. Mine pick hundreds an hour if I let them! Please don't use chemicals. They hurt our water supply!

I will ask...why do people have problems with dandelions? I don't understand it. they are so much prettier than grass!

I know that weeds indicate a need for nitrogen and other nutrients, so I'm going to address that--but what else can I do? It's a big yard, there are thousands of dandelions...

--Sarah

I think clover indicates low nitrogen, but I think dandelions don't. Here's a pdf showing what different weeds like about your lawn. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Clover used to be considered part of a healthy lawn seed mix, back before the trend in dumping lots of herbicides to give a "perfect" lawn. I used to get bee stings all the time from it, though, so I sympathize with wanting it out of your lawn.

I was also under the impression that unless you get out every bit of the dandelion root, it can happily come up from the bits you've left behind ... so that trying to pull them might just be a great way to propagate. But it makes some sense that if you diligently plant grass seed you can possibly sort of choke it out.

Keeping your lawn mown at a higher setting helps choke out weeds. Only remove about 1/3 of the blade at each mowing. But you probably know this, right?

I love dandelions. I want a yard of them. I will say that kids are the best control, though. Mine pick hundreds an hour if I let them! Please don't use chemicals. They hurt our water supply!

I will ask...why do people have problems with dandelions? I don't understand it. they are so much prettier than grass!

I don't mind the looks, it's the bees they attract that are a problem. My kids like to run around barefoot and everyone of them got stung last year.

I don't mind the looks, it's the bees they attract that are a problem. My kids like to run around barefoot and everyone of them got stung last year.

Mine also run around barefoot and only my oldest has ever gotten stung...in the yard next door (Priest's rectory) and he sprays chemicals everywhere. He has a major vendetta against weeds. We have lots of fun mason bees in our yard which don't sting. Do you not have flowers, either, then? Because that will attract them also. I definitely wouldn't be pouring out chemicals and letting my kids go barefoot.

Oh! Or maybe...get a goat! ;)

Nah, they would everything and there wouldn't even be grass left.

Natural consequence of not wearing shoes? :tongue_smilie: That's what I'd tell my kids.

Nah, they would everything and there wouldn't even be grass left.

Natural consequence of not wearing shoes? :tongue_smilie: That's what I'd tell my kids.

That's what I tell mine, too. I have horrible reactions to stings, but I've run around barefoot since I was a child. I only got stung on the foot once and that was in my bedroom (hive in the wall!) and only when camping for other stings. It's nature. It's outside. It happens. I think my neighbor's overbearing care of his yard where dandelions quake in fear and there's enough RoundUp to kill 10 nations is proof of that one. And bees are good, anyway. Bee populations are dwindling and it's affecting our food supply. Shouldn't we be finding ways to invite them in? Especially as gardeners?

I think the only way would be to plant your yard with something invasive like couch grass or kikuyu, or to mow the grass every time you see a flower. Or you could take the really radical step of one of my neighbours, and lay fake grass. Perfect, if you like the sterile look. :ack2:

Rosie

I tried this last year--we pulled hundreds of dandelions, but I don't think we even made a dent in the total dandelion population :-( I suppose I could put my kids to work--wonder if they'd do it for a penny each???

It might take a few years. In the meantime, don't let them flower. Mow frequently, get out there with scissors if you have to. Where we live there are only a lot of dandelions for a few weeks in the spring, so I work on them really hard during that time. I often spend Mother's Day digging dandelions. After the spring, I guess the grass gets mowed often enough that I only have a few at a time to deal with.

I spend several hours each spring doing dandelions, and it's slowly getting better. I actually sort of enjoy it. :D

Warning: I pulled dandelions with a forked weeder for 2+ hours one morning last May, filling 3/4 of a landscape waste bag. I had no problems at the time, but the next day my forearms started swelling. I had bilateral tendonitis (intersections syndrome, kind of like carpal tunnel) that STILL bothers me every day--when I type, lift heavy objects, etc. So take it easy if you go that route!

Mine also run around barefoot and only my oldest has ever gotten stung...in the yard next door (Priest's rectory) and he sprays chemicals everywhere. He has a major vendetta against weeds. We have lots of fun mason bees in our yard which don't sting. Do you not have flowers, either, then? Because that will attract them also. I definitely wouldn't be pouring out chemicals and letting my kids go barefoot.

No, I don't want to pour out chemicals--that was the whole point of asking this question--but we are definitely getting stung. Bees in the fruit trees and flower beds are not a problem--the kids aren't running there. Bees underfoot all over the lawn--those are a problem!

I just saw your siggie says your eldest is "Honeybee", maybe they are just attracted to her as a fellow bee? :lol:
Ah, maybe that's our problem! They think there's a new queen bee in town :001_smile:

Get several guinea pigs. They love to eat dandelions. :D

Really? I would be tempted. Our only pet is a cat, I'm sure the kids would love guinea pigs.

Oh! Or maybe...get a goat! ;)

I came across this idea when I was researching last spring--we're not technically supposed to have a goat, but I doubt I would get in trouble unless a neighbor complained. Our town's funny about animal regulations--anything is allowed, but there is a formula for what size/how many based on the size of your lot. Our lot would allow us to have 1 chicken--just one!:lol: Funny thing is, they don't actually care if it is a chicken or a rooster, and long as there is only one of them. I think one of these days I'm gonna get several chickens and if neighbors decide to complain I could offer to trade them in for the single rooster...

I did consider borrowing a goat--even just for a few days, if it would crop the dandelions for me. I'll have to ask around.

Does anyone know if rabbits like dandelions?

Of course, if I let a bunch of grazing animals loose in my backyard I would have to find a way to protect the garden!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I got stung Every. Single. Summer. and also got a piece of broken glass stuck in my foot Every. Single. Summer. That bit about natural consequences never really kicked in with me, obviously. To this day, at the family reunions I'm the one least likely to wear shoes (along with my kids).

Or you could take the really radical step of one of my neighbours, and lay fake grass. Perfect, if you like the sterile look. :ack2:

Rosie

My Great Uncle poured concrete over the entire lawn. The "grass" parts were green, and the "walkways" were red. It was ... different .... Did I ever mention that side of the family was almost all in the horticulture and landscaping industry? Which just adds to the charm of the situation.

I got stung Every. Single. Summer. and also got a piece of broken glass stuck in my foot Every. Single. Summer. That bit about natural consequences never really kicked in with me, obviously. To this day, at the family reunions I'm the one least likely to wear shoes (along with my kids).

Yeah, I'm afraid this is my family--we'll go barefoot stings or no stings. Looks like I'll just have to do my best to improve the lawn/plant grass seed/pay kids to dig up dandelions...and hope the bees go where we want them instead of where we don't!

My Great Uncle poured concrete over the entire lawn. The "grass" parts were green, and the "walkways" were red. It was ... different .... Did I ever mention that side of the family was almost all in the horticulture and landscaping industry? Which just adds to the charm of the situation.

Now why didn't I ever think of this solution??! I could even paint in some nice garden plots, no more worry about grubs and caterpillars getting my plants!:D

I use vinegar. But, be careful to just spray the dandelions.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/06/got-weeds-use-vinegar-not-roundup/

I'm pretty sure salt water works too. But you also have to be careful not to spray things you want to keep.

We have had this problem but I refuse to use any kind of week killer. I like the flowering weeds in my yard. We have many kinds. My dad had me and my brothers pulling dandelions when we were young. :tongue_smilie: My solution is to get everyone a new comfortable pair of sandals or flip flops at the beginning of every spring and remind them what will happen if they don't wear them. It works for us.

Funny timing. When we pulled back up to the house today, I spotted our first dandelion since moving here. I'm sure a spray service was used in the yard before us, and we've been waiting and waiting for dandelions. 5 years later and we have one! Yay!!!!! We're hoping for more because one won't really stretch that far between us and the guinea pigs. ; )

White vinegar.

I get what you are saying...we have a huge population of dandelions, and while some think they are pretty, most just consider it a weed. Our HOA considers it a weed. Because of all of the dandelions, we have to mow more often, ie weekly versus biweekly, due to the dandelions growing faster and making the yard look weedy, and thus nastygrams from the HOA...sigh.

I used white vinegar, to test it out, a few weeks ago...just took some and dumped it on a patch of dandelions. Dead within two days. This weekend, we are going to spray our yard with vinegar....we've got very little actual nice grass, so we are not too concerned about the grass...we'll drop seed in a few weeks.

Funny timing. When we pulled back up to the house today, I spotted our first dandelion since moving here. I'm sure a spray service was used in the yard before us, and we've been waiting and waiting for dandelions. 5 years later and we have one! Yay!!!!! We're hoping for more because one won't really stretch that far between us and the guinea pigs. ; )

I was actually kind of glad to see all the dandelions last spring because I knew it meant the lawn had not been inundated with chemicals on a regular basis--and would be safer for my gardening. I just wasn't prepared for quite so many dandelions--and quite so many bees! Once they sting my baby, I'm on the warpath :-) We'll be tackling the problem head-on this spring, with every non-chemical tool I can come up with--but I plan to leave one nice corner for my dandelions salad (we even tried dandelion hush puppies last year--made from the flowers). Haven't tried making jelly yet, though I hear it's good...I figure I can keep them to a corner if I don't let them go to seed.

I was actually kind of glad to see all the dandelions last spring because I knew it meant the lawn had not been inundated with chemicals on a regular basis--and would be safer for my gardening. I just wasn't prepared for quite so many dandelions--and quite so many bees! Once they sting my baby, I'm on the warpath :-) We'll be tackling the problem head-on this spring, with every non-chemical tool I can come up with--but I plan to leave one nice corner for my dandelions salad (we even tried dandelion hush puppies last year--made from the flowers). Haven't tried making jelly yet, though I hear it's good...I figure I can keep them to a corner if I don't let them go to seed.

This sounds like a lovely way to enjoy the benefits of this green w/o the headache it has brought your family. Plus you'd end up with a cheerful corner to look at. I hope you're able to make it work for you guys.

Pick them and eat the greens! Sell the greens at a farmer's market. Do you know how much dandelion greens cost at my health food store?

That's what I was going to suggest. You can find recipes on the internet or you can use them in salad. But you have to get them early while they're small because they get bitter when they're bigger.

:iagree: And I love clover too - it's great ground cover, drought-resistant, fertilizes the lawn (nitrogen-fixer), and you get pretty white flowers! And when you mow it, it's green - just like grass! I have tons of dandelions and clover in my lawn, and I love them! (and the dandelions with their taproots also aerate your lawn!) When they go to seed, you just mow - no unsightly white blobs (and more pretty yellow flowers get planted for next year :D)

Why is it considered "better" to have an artificial monoculture that demands tons of chemicals and extra water to maintain? I don't get it? Are we trying to replicate what we imagine the Lords of the Manor had back in England (which were not monocultures, there's lots of rain there, and the sheep mowed them...)

Edited by matroyshka

White vinegar.

I get what you are saying...we have a huge population of dandelions, and while some think they are pretty, most just consider it a weed. Our HOA considers it a weed. Because of all of the dandelions, we have to mow more often, ie weekly versus biweekly, due to the dandelions growing faster and making the yard look weedy, and thus nastygrams from the HOA...sigh.

I used white vinegar, to test it out, a few weeks ago...just took some and dumped it on a patch of dandelions. Dead within two days. This weekend, we are going to spray our yard with vinegar....we've got very little actual nice grass, so we are not too concerned about the grass...we'll drop seed in a few weeks.

BAAhahahahahaha! We have the same problem and the vinegar works great! We mow VERY often and if you stand in the street and squint your eyes, the yard looks like it has grass!!! :D I cannot even stand the mere thought of spraying with chemicals so we just live with it. I have a HOA, too. They like to send letters about our basketball goal which is neglected occasionally at the end of the driveway but we've been able to avoid the letters about the dandelions. I have a little garden in the back yard and have the MOST fabulous organic veggies! When the weeds get too close to the garden I pour (not spray) vinegar on them. Works great but it kills everything so be careful. All the neighborhood kids play in my yard and I think it would irresponsible of me to poison them by killing the weeds with a chemical other than vinegar. ;) I listened to an author on NPR talking about the history of the neatly trimmed lawn, the concept really isn't very old. I think I will see if I can find that book.

Edited by Mad Charity
unclear

We bought this house last winter, and when spring arrived were not-so-pleased to find more dandelions and clover than grass in the yard. I'm really, really hesitant to throw a bunch of herbicides at it, but looking ahead to the coming spring I really need some way to control the dandelions (clover too). I don't care about a picture-perfect lawn, but I want my kids to be able to run around barefoot without getting stung by bees (which is what happened last year--all those flowers bring lots of happy pollinators!)

--Sarah

Eat them. Dandilion leaves are good in salad :)