Menu

You Keel My Father

I think it could end up being the most quotable movie of the 20th century! :D

Our favorite - when someone's word useage is suspect - "That word...I don't thinka it means whatta you thinka it means!" (Had to put the A's in the for effect...we try so hard for the accent and hysterically bungle it.) :lol:

Enjoy...excellent flick!

Faith

The Grandson: A book?

Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.

The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?

Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.

Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.

:D

The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...

:D

One summer as a kid I watched that movie At LEAST once a day. I had the ENTIRE thing memorized (well, it was the tv edited version we taped, so I didn't have the parts that were edited out memorized). My brother and I used to act out entire scenes word-for-word from memory.

ps - the most disturbing parts could be the giant rats, the torture machine, or the sword fight at the end that gets a little bloody. None of them get very gruesome, but you never know what's going to bother a kid.

I'm curious what those of you who know this film well would consider its most disturbing scene to be. I keep meaning to watch it (I have seen it, but not all the way through in a long time) to find out which scene bothered my son (he doesn't want to talk about it).

I think it's the dungeon torture scene. Besides the torture, the guy with the white face is just creepy- looking.

I think it could end up being the most quotable movie of the 20th century! :D

Our favorite - when someone's word useage is suspect - "That word...I don't thinka it means whatta you thinka it means!" (Had to put the A's in the for effect...we try so hard for the accent and hysterically bungle it.) :lol:

Enjoy...excellent flick!

Faith

It's got to be either that or Monty Python and the Holy Grail! :lol:

Great movie!

It's funny...I just downloaded this for my iPad so that dd & I can watch it on our train trip in April...which I did because a friend of ours (a mid-50s Canadian folk singer, no less) posted about it on facebook yesterday, saying that he & his wife were settling in to watch it and that he considers it one of the best movies ever, which led to about 50 comments from friends of his quoting the movie. :001_smile:

Inigo Montoya: That Vizzini, he can *fuss*.

Fezzik: Fuss, fuss... I think he like to scream at *us*.

Inigo Montoya: Probably he means no *harm*.

Fezzik: He's really very short on *charm*.

Inigo Montoya: You have a great gift for rhyme.

Fezzik: Yes, yes, some of the time.

Vizzini: Enough of that.

Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?

Fezzik: If there are, we all be dead.

Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it.

Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?

Vizzini: DYEEAAHHHHHH.

Wesley: Why didn't you wait for me?

Buttercup: Well...you were dead.

Wesley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it a little.

Buttercup: I will never doubt again. :p

Welcome to the pit of despair don't even.... *cough* *cough* don't even think about trying to escape. The chains are far to thick.

Sleep well and may you dream of large women.

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?

Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well.

lol

He bested you at strength. He bested me with steel. He must have out-thought Vizzini, and a man who can do that can plan my castle onslaught any day!

I'm curious what those of you who know this film well would consider its most disturbing scene to be. I keep meaning to watch it (I have seen it, but not all the way through in a long time) to find out which scene bothered my son (he doesn't want to talk about it).

How old is he?

The Princess Bride is possibly the most appropriate movie my kids watch!

Nothing really stands out as disturbing.

If I were you I would watch it (today), because you know your son.

Love. That. Movie.

My husband and I had our church choir sing the theme song at the processional at our wedding. And our toasting glasses have a quote engraved on them.

I took our daughter to see Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin in concert last week. We waited at the stage door to get autographs, and I have to say that Mandy Patinkin was one of the nicest, warmest, most gracious performers we've ever had a chance to meet. He signed every piece of paper handed to him, took photos, all the while bragging about his son.

Love. That. Movie.

My husband and I had our church choir sing the theme song at the processional at our wedding. And our toasting glasses have a quote engraved on them.

I took our daughter to see Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin in concert last week. We waited at the stage door to get autographs, and I have to say that Mandy Patinkin was one of the nicest, warmest, most gracious performers we've ever had a chance to meet. He signed every piece of paper handed to him, took photos, all the while bragging about his son.

Awesome!

I just wish he wasn't such a flake...he leaves shows when they're uber popular...still mad at him for leaving Criminal Minds...

ps - the most disturbing parts could be the giant rats, the torture machine, or the sword fight at the end that gets a little bloody. None of them get very gruesome, but you never know what's going to bother a kid.

I think it's the dungeon torture scene. Besides the torture, the guy with the white face is just creepy- looking.

Thanks! I bet it's the torture scene. He likes battle scenes so I think it was something that made him feel uncomfortable when he thought about it later. I agree you never know what's going to bother a kid. He likes some darker/scary stuff, but now and then something will bother him, usually when I'm not expecting it.

How old is he?

The Princess Bride is possibly the most appropriate movie my kids watch!

Nothing really stands out as disturbing.

If I were you I would watch it (today), because you know your son.

He's 10 now and watched it when he was 9. I do want to watch it again soon. I'm catching up on movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars and a couple of other dvds I have checked out from the library.

It's been awhile since he saw it (I was there, but only half watching as I was also hanging out with my sisters) so he's not currently bothered by it, but I felt bad about having him watch it.

Yet he thoroughly enjoys all the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean movies. So I figured The Princess Bride would be a pretty tame choice!

Thanks for your replies. Sorry if I have messed with the flow of movie-quoting fun! :)

Yeah, I agree with the others that it is probably the torture scene. My DDs have grown up watching this movie. When they were very young, we would fast forward through the use of the life-sucking machine. Everything else seemed fine for them.

Best movie of all time, by the way. If you don't like it at first, just keep watching it over and over. It will grow on you. :D

Pegasus

Am I crazy, or did I hear somewhere they are going to remake this with Kelly from The Office?

(Well, that could be correct and I could be crazy too....but I digress.)

I just can't picture it being redone. :confused:

I heard there was talk of a remake.

Then I joined the anti remake group on FB.

We have spent many hours watching that movie. We all love it. Most of the time when someone is walking out the door here someone will shout out "Have fun storming the castle." People who have never seen the movie are quite confused.

Those ppl exist? :confused:

Because of this thread, we popped popcorn and watched this movie yet again. DD15 laughed that she could almost repeat the movie line by line from memory. I told her that I wouldn't consider her fully educated until she could do just that.

As we were watching, DH wanders in and starts saying the movie lines along with the actors. I looked at DD and said, "See, HE is fully educated." :D

It's just as good the 212th time you watch!

Pegasus