Menu

Presents for birthday parties your child doesn't attend?

Do you give presents for a birthday party (that your child has been invited to) if they don't attend?

What factors weigh in on this decision? Your financial place at the time? How well you know the friend? If you have to cancel last minute (illness) vs knowing ahead of time that your child couldn't attend?

I've always kind of wondered if my child comes up sick last minute if we should bring by a gift at a later time. :confused:

I don't know what is the "correct" thing to do, and I often question society's rules.

If we don't attend the party, we typically don't buy a present unless...

If we can't attend due to a last minute illness, I've probably already bought the gift and would go ahead and give it.

If we are really good friends and can't attend, we are likely to give a gift anyway.

It depends on how close we are to the child and family. If it's a close friend that dd does things with on a regular basis and we are fairly close with the family, we probably would still give a gift. Someone that my child considers a best or very good friend we would. If it's a friendship that's more of an aquaintance based on a mutual activity or class, then no.

It depends on how close we are to the child and family. If it's a close friend that dd does things with on a regular basis and we are fairly close with the family, we probably would still give a gift. Someone that my child considers a best or very good friend we would. If it's a friendship that's more of an aquaintance based on a mutual activity or class, then no.

This is pretty much how we handled it when the kids were younger.

If we can't attend due to a last minute illness, I've probably already bought the gift and would go ahead and give it.

If we are really good friends and can't attend, we are likely to give a gift anyway.

:iagree:

Do you give presents for a birthday party (that your child has been invited to) if they don't attend?

What factors weigh in on this decision? Your financial place at the time? How well you know the friend? If you have to cancel last minute (illness) vs knowing ahead of time that your child couldn't attend?

I've always kind of wondered if my child comes up sick last minute if we should bring by a gift at a later time. :confused:

No. We just don't. I could see it if we had already bought a gift for the child or they were a close friend, but so far we haven't had that happen, so...

This is what we do as well.

If we don't go to the party, we don't give presents. The only exception would be for my nephews and niece as we are close to my sister. But even the relatives on the other side don't get presents if we aren't going to the party (but they live in a different state).

I don't know what is the "correct" thing to do, and I often question society's rules.

This -- close family friends get a gift whether or not there is a party, and whether or not we can attend. Acquaintances get a gift only if we attend the party.

No, unless it's a relative or extremely close best friend.

I agree with these. I would only give a gift if I had planned to attend and couldn't at the last minute, or it was a family member/close friend.

:iagree: