Menu

If you hang your clothes to dry...

...what do you hang them on?

Looking to save money on drying costs, but my laundry room isn't big enough for many hanging clothes. I also don't want anything unsightly stretched across my backyard. The HOA wouldn't be happy. Do you hang clothes inside our outside, and what do you use? Any product links would be very helpful. Found a couple of interested racks on Amazon, but don't know how they'd handle laundry from a family of 7. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-DRY-01610-Heavy-Gullwing-Drying/dp/B00383O2UU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329416700&sr=8-2

I just bought this one. It's the most European looking one I could find that was also in my budget. I plan on putting it on the backdeck when it's warm and keep it inside when it isn't.

HTH

ETA: I only bought one, but if it works I plan on buying at least 1 more. We are a family of 6.

We have a clothesline, and also a drying rack from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50095091/

Bed Bath and Beyond also carries a clothes drying rack

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13624755

We hang our clothes outside, weather permitting (which is most of the year, since we're in California). My relatives in the UK have a rack which they drip dry over the bathtub. But in the UK, they also have a drying closet/room for larger articles.

ETA: Our family size is 4. I recommend to hang the clothes somewhere sunny, which is outdoors for us but if you can find a room which gets a lot of sun, that should work.

Edited by leeyeewah

I have a foldable rack that I keep in the downstairs bathtub (not far from laundry room). I can put it away when we need to use the tub, and it really dries pretty quickly. I have put a whole load on there (when the dryer broke), but usually just a few things I don't want in the dryer. It works really well except the bottom couple of bars, where the airflow is blocked by the tub side, so I have to move those things up after the top items are dried/removed.

We have a simple clothesline that stretches from our deck out to a tree at the edge of the woods. If there's no clothes on it, you wouldn't notice it was there at all, but...well, we're not all that concerned about people looking down on us for being practical.

We also dry clothes on the expanding racks near our woodstove.

We have this one (metal - the wooden ones don't last very long at all):

http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Folding-Clothes-Drying-Chrome/dp/B0019FW864/ref=pd_sim_hg_29

And we have one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Deluxe-Standing-Clothes-Dryer/dp/B000050ASM/ref=sr_1_126?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329418345&sr=1-126

This combination works really well for our family. We can fit a full load of laundry on each, and you learn quickly what type of clothes go at what position on each rack.

Not only does hanging our clothes save us a bunch on propane and electricity, but in the winter, the clothes drying inside adds badly-needed humidity to the air.

Edited by bbkaren

http://www.urbanclotheslines.com/product/MM88349

I used this line outside when I lived in a subdivision ran between my backdoor and garage - no one could see the clothes. I hung the big stuff and then I had a small retractable in the laundry room for underclothing.

http://www.urbanclotheslines.com/whitney-retractable-clothes-dryer-clothesline-hotel-style

I now have it in my basement and use it on wet days. I live in the country now and have a huge outdoor clothes line

3 metal t-poles cemented in the ground with 4 plastic coated metal wire. I can hang towel, jeans and all kinds of stuff all at once.

honestly I did hang outside at our old house, we had and umbrella hanging line.

in this house it backs up to the busy main drag, so I haven't for years. Finally this year I asked dh to rig some lines on our fenced in back porch, not really seen from the yard I could take the lines down if needed.

we use a combination of things:

all shirts, tshirts, blouses, etc go on plastic hangers. they get hung on a door jam anywhere there is room, or on a wire dh strung in the master bathroom. then, when they're dry, they go straight into the closet like that.

we have two wooden collapsible drying racks that are in our sun room.

we have one wall mounted wooden rack over the master bathtub that i love.

we have an outdoor line built from railway ties.

hang drying, we follow a different pattern than when we had a drier. every day is washday; i do one load in the morning, and another in the afternoon. one will be an outdoor line load, one will be an indoor drying rack and hanger load.

good luck!

ann

My opinion is that it's not worth the cost saving to hang dry if you can only hang dry indoors. Clothes take forever to try indoors. Outdoors is a different story, a sunny day will give a dryer a run for its money.

We use an expandable clothes drying rack that was a hand me down, I think it was bought at Ikea (?) ... we also used lawn chairs, patio furniture, and railings. Inside we use the top of doors, bannisters, non upholstered furniture, the top of the shower.

Indoor drying can also cause mold because of the humidity it will create. We had to run fans on the laundry inside just to get it to dry within 2 days... and if it was damp weather 3 or 4 days is more likely.

We dry our laundry outside when weather permits. We hang our clothes on clothes lines hung between trees in our back yard. I have four long clothes lines. It's not the idea set up. The dogs leave land mines for me to step in.

I'm planning on upgrading before Spring. I'd like something more traditional, like what my Grandma had in her backyard. Something like this T-Post line dryer. Since we already have drilling pipe and a welder, we'll probably make our own.

I'd also like to upgrade my clothes pin bag. There are some really cute clothes pin bags on pinterest!

On a hills hoist clothes line, unless the weather is too dreadful, then on clothes horses. As far as I know, everyone in Australia with a backyard, however small, has a washing line. If I were you, I'd be working to get the law against clothes lines changed.

Rosie

My opinion is that it's not worth the cost saving to hang dry if you can only hang dry indoors. Clothes take forever to try indoors. Outdoors is a different story, a sunny day will give a dryer a run for its money.

We use an expandable clothes drying rack that was a hand me down, I think it was bought at Ikea (?) ... we also used lawn chairs, patio furniture, and railings. Inside we use the top of doors, bannisters, non upholstered furniture, the top of the shower.

Indoor drying can also cause mold because of the humidity it will create. We had to run fans on the laundry inside just to get it to dry within 2 days... and if it was damp weather 3 or 4 days is more likely.

i smiled reading your post and wondered where you lived..... here in the high desert, any moisture we can add to the air is bonus..... i haven't seen mold since i moved here.... sigh..... it made me somewhat nostalgic reading your post.

ann

i smiled reading your post and wondered where you lived..... here in the high desert, any moisture we can add to the air is bonus..... i haven't seen mold since i moved here.... sigh..... it made me somewhat nostalgic reading your post.

ann

It's all about perspective, isn't it? We currently live in the southwest. In springtime, a washing load is dry within 15 minutes (literally!) of hanging it. ;)

On a hills hoist clothes line, unless the weather is too dreadful, then on clothes horses. As far as I know, everyone in Australia with a backyard, however small, has a washing line. If I were you, I'd be working to get the law against clothes lines changed.

Rosie

:iagree:

And here nobody cares about seeing anyone else's washing. It is just a fact that if you wear cloths, they need to be washed and hung up to dry.

We have two racks like these:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE8ILI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=apollosacadem-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001UE8ILI

We either set them up on the back deck or in the bath tubs. Together, they hold about a single, large load of laundry.

We also use hangers to hang some delicates from the shower curtain rods.

I'd also love to have some racks that hang over the tubs permanently to dry sweaters flat and a clothesline out back, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

We hang ours in our basement laundry room. It's not huge, but I dowels running the length of it that holds a surprising number of hangars (which is how I dry all shirts) and used to do all littles garments. I also have a short clothesline which is where I do socks, underwear and some pants.

I think drying clothes on clothes hangars would make a better use of a small space than a traditional line.

We had a retractable clothes line. When we didn't have anything to hang, it was wound back up. For delicates, dh made a hanging bar over the dryer space in the laundry room. If I needed more inside space, I used the door jambs of the rooms with the most air flow and hung them up overnight.

:iagree:

And here nobody cares about seeing anyone else's washing. It is just a fact that if you wear cloths, they need to be washed and hung up to dry.

Yes. Our back yard is on a hill, with a street going past higher up the hill two houses over. Anyone walking along that street can see our washing. I don't care in the slightest and I doubt it would occur to anyone other than the strangest pervert to give it a second glance. That said, we live in a high rainfall area and I couldn't live without my dryer. I need to go and turn it on now...

the mind boggles doesn't it,

But I am told it works fine.

It does. They don't stay frozen forever; if it's during a cold snap that doesn't thaw at all and no sun shines, they won't dry.

But generally, even if they freeze at first, at different times the sun comes out and warms the clothes, the wind still blows, etc.

It just takes longer but smells just as good!

And the crunch goes away with a good firm shake - even with towels. And to me, the outdoor smell is worth any lack of softness I might wind up with!