Menu

Weird Things People Do When They Come To See Your House: #4,813:

The continuing saga of 'weird things people do when they come to look at your house.' This morning, we got the call and were ready to bolt out the door.

The cookies I baked came out of the oven, but there was no time to put them on the serving dish that I usually set up near the brochures and informational stuff (I know -- I am TOO NICE!).

So, I put the tray of cookies on the top of the stove to cool, and left them there.

There really was no indication that they were for the prospective buyers.

We arrive home about 2 hours later and do you know, 10 of the 12 cookies have been eaten -- right off the tray!:001_huh:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my! Did they pry them off with their fingers? Or did they scrounge through your drawers to get a spatula?

We had an unexpected showing once, and we returned to find several muffins missing from the covered plate on the counter. The plate wasn't in a prominent position, and there were no marketing materials or anything near it that would indicate the muffins were up for grabs. I guess buyers are just accustomed to being plied with baked goods. Sadly for them, these muffins were several days old and I was going to turn them into stuffing. I'll always wonder if the stale muffins played a role in the shoppers not making an offer. :)

You're just lucky they didn't take the tray as well!

The first and only time I did the realtor-recommended bread baking, the potential buyer took my bread and its pan out of the oven and took it home. I called the realtor, who said that she knew the buyer had taken it, but figured that it was worth a potential sale. I told her that I guess I should count myself lucky that I still seemed to have all my underwear. And, no, the thief did not buy my house.

Fer serious?

:001_huh:

Did they go and pour themselves a glass of milk, too?

Good grief, who eats food that's out when they go look at a house. My goodness.

:iagree: I totally agree -- it's downright presumptuous, imo. And, it would be like going into the fridge and pouring a glass of milk to go with the cookies.

During the summer when it was beastly hot and the house was on the market, I had printed out a little sign stating that there were cold bottles of water and soda in the fridge and folks should help themselves -- but it was all clearly marked -- and we were having 100+ degree temps.

This, though, was odd and a little out of line.

That's bizarre! :001_huh:
:iagree:

Oh, my! Did they pry them off with their fingers? Or did they scrounge through your drawers to get a spatula?

We had an unexpected showing once, and we returned to find several muffins missing from the covered plate on the counter. The plate wasn't in a prominent position, and there were no marketing materials or anything near it that would indicate the muffins were up for grabs. I guess buyers are just accustomed to being plied with baked goods. Sadly for them, these muffins were several days old and I was going to turn them into stuffing. I'll always wonder if the stale muffins played a role in the shoppers not making an offer. :)

They were baked on a silpat so they came off easily -- but you are right -- can you imagine rummaging through someone's drawers looking for a spatula so you can eat the cookies cooling on the stove?

WHAT IF THEY WERE FRESH BAKED DOGGIE TREATS? WHICH I DO MAKE QUITE OFTEN!

The first and only time I did the realtor-recommended bread baking, the potential buyer took my bread and its pan out of the oven and took it home. I called the realtor, who said that she knew the buyer had taken it, but figured that it was worth a potential sale. I told her that I guess I should count myself lucky that I still seemed to have all my underwear. And, no, the thief did not buy my house.

He took your bread pan? And the realtor was ok with that? Holy crow. I'll stop whining about people eating my stale muffins; at least they left the cake plate.

And your bread must have been hot, straight out of the oven. Did he also swipe your oven mitts to carry it away??

You win........THAT is unbelievable!:svengo:

It was probably a second visit. They liked your cookies so much the first time, they came back!!! :lol:

Seriously though, is this an agent who has shown your house before and knew that you gave cookies in the past?

:seeya: Hi, Jennifer!

Nope - not a second visit - we haven't had any of those -- they all hate it the first time through. :(

The agent didn't leave a card (which p*sses me off) but it wasn't anyone our agent has spoken with before.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I've been to open houses that offered cookies. One even had lemonade & nicely crushed ice in pretty glasses. Maybe they thought it was part of your staging? lol

I guess. During the summer, we were setting up for a birthday party and we got a call that someone was coming. I set up beautifully decorated cookies and cold drinks with a sign that THOSE were for prospective buyers. The other stuff that had been set out for the party (and covered) had a nice little sign that said we would be entertaining later in the day and would folks please help themselves to the other goodies on the table in the kitchen.

If they want staging, maybe they could take laundry out of the dryer and fold it?:glare:

I guess. During the summer, we were setting up for a birthday party and we got a call that someone was coming. I set up beautifully decorated cookies and cold drinks with a sign that THOSE were for prospective buyers. The other stuff that had been set out for the party (and covered) had a nice little sign that said we would be entertaining later in the day and would folks please help themselves to the other goodies on the table in the kitchen.

If they want staging, maybe they could take laundry out of the dryer and fold it?:glare:

LOL That would be nice. Btw, the house itself did not offer the cookies. I must learn to diagram before posting.

Nope - not a second visit - we haven't had any of those -- they all hate it the first time through. :(

The agent didn't leave a card (which p*sses me off) but it wasn't anyone our agent has spoken with before.

Here's the link to our listing -- tell me what I need to do differently:

http://franklymls.com/FX7757499

Your house is beautiful! I really don't have any suggestions as far as the decor is concerned. How are other houses selling in your area? How is the price lining up? That's the only thing I can think of. Really, I love it!!

Your house looks very nice! I love the screened porch especially. Is that ubatooba granite in the kitchen? Do you swear silently everything you clean up from a meal? Could that be why you're moving? :lol: Jk - I have dark granite and it makes me :willy_nilly:

Well, if they are at least coming to see the house, they must like what they are seeing in your photos.

We aren't looking in your price range ;) but we do have a few deal-breakers. Price is one, but if your Zillow estimates are more accurate than ours that may not be your problem. (Although if you drop it low enough...it will sell.) Layout is important. Is the ____ convenient to the ____? Neighborhood was another big one for us. Sometimes a location looked good until you actually got there and discovered the road was a local shortcut with heavy traffic, for example.

Your house is beautiful! Thank you - we think it shows well. I really don't have any suggestions as far as the decor is concerned. How are other houses selling in your area? How is the price lining up? We are the ONLY 4 bedroom/3 bath SFH in our zip code under $635k. Total lack of inventory in our town. That's the only thing I can think of. Really, I love it!!
We are mystified. -- blue ribbon school district, amazing location. We can only guess that folks here want center hall colonials, and we are not a CHC -- but those are $100k more than we are for fewer bedrooms and baths.

Your house looks very nice! I love the screened porch especially. Is that ubatooba granite in the kitchen? Do you swear silently everything you clean up from a meal? Could that be why you're moving? :lol: Jk - I have dark granite and it makes me :willy_nilly:

We aren't uba tuba -- but we are dark -- I think 'dark red' or something. I have this great cleaner I bought at bed and bath that I use -- I have a friend who has BLACK GRANITE and she is always cleaning it.

Not that this would change much, but I might try neutralizing the bath with the teal/bluish accessories. I think brown or cream towels, rugs, etc might make the bath look more opened up and more calm. Just a suggestion.

Now that's one I hadn't thought of -- THAT is dd 12's bath and didn't occur to me to make it neutral -- but that's a good suggestion and I could do it easily.

We are mystified. -- blue ribbon school district, amazing location. We can only guess that folks here want center hall colonials, and we are not a CHC -- but those are $100k more than we are for fewer bedrooms and baths.

t.

What does your agent say? I'm confused and I want to know! I just can't imagine that the center hall colonial would matter THAT much if they liked everything else? The layout looks really open, which seems to be pretty popular now.

What about price per square foot? That was a big deal when we were looking.

Well, if they are at least coming to see the house, they must like what they are seeing in your photos.

We aren't looking in your price range ;) but we do have a few deal-breakers. Price is one, but if your Zillow estimates are more accurate than ours that may not be your problem. (Although if you drop it low enough...it will sell.) Layout is important. Is the ____ convenient to the ____? Neighborhood was another big one for us. Sometimes a location looked good until you actually got there and discovered the road was a local shortcut with heavy traffic, for example.

I am going to ask the realtor about the zillow data, although, she and I spoke about price yesterday and we are rock bottom and in line with what is out there.

Road is good, location is good, schools are the best, -- all that is okay -- i think that the majority of lookers want center hall colonials and we aren't a CHC.

The teal bathroom jumped out at me, too--mainly because of the fuzzy toilet seat cover. People seem to either love or hate toilet covers/mats, so it might be better to remove it. The color combo seemed okay to me, though, minus the cover. Maybe make the bed in the boy's room a bit more inviting, so that it's more like the other beds in the house?

I think it's completely bizzarre.

They're there to see the house, not for snack time.

I know right?? This is totally foreign to me too. It would never even occur to me to bake for prospective buyers. Makes me wonder now if people just go "house hunting" for the food and the pastime of it?? Strange.:confused::confused:

Thank you - :iagree:.

I've been having thoughts of Minnie's 'chocolate pie' in THE HELP!:sneaky2:

Ewwwww! hehehehehehehe post-1037-1211195140.gif

BTW Mariann your house is beautiful! That porch!!! anim_inlove.gif

Edited by Ibbygirl

Mariann, first of all, your house is lovely. If I lived there, you'd have to pry me off the screened in porch--no kidding. For years I've yearned for a home we visited in a city that we never moved to because the job offer fell through. That home had a big sreened in room like yourswith a river at the bottom of the long hill behind the house. What a place that would have been to grow up in, and to grow old in. ; )

But, the reason I post is two-fold. Another poster said she'd "neutralize" the busy teal/tan bathroom. I agree. The teal is pretty and stylish, so use teal to accent in an understated way.

The other thing that jumped out at me was the bare floors. I love the wooden floor look, but they are rather stark, so big area rugs might soften that up a bit. If it doesn't risk someones health due to allergies or asthma, can you buy something 8x10 or 10x12 that would pull the room together and soften the flooring a bit? It doesn't have to be fancy, just comfy looking.

hth, and best wishes for the sale!

I know right?? This is totally foreign to me too. It would never even occur to me to bake for prospective buyers. Makes me wonder now if people just go "house hunting" for the food and the pastime of it??

I'll bet they do. Reminds me of the packs of starving grad students who wander the halls seeking seminars or receptions. That we would sit through incomprehensible and nearly interminable lectures just to snag some generic crackers and sweaty cheese cubes is disheartening. At least the administration didn't mind (the dean admitted that scavenging grad students meant somebody would show up at these seminars).

Edit: Aaaaand it just occurred to me that I have unwittingly compared your beautiful home to a boring lecture. Did NOT mean it that way. The story just reminded me of opportunists seeking free snacks. So to reiterate, your lovely house is in no way comparable to a talk about the Uniform Commercial Code. Truly.

Edited by Belacqua

I'll bet they do. Reminds me of the packs of starving grad students who wander the halls seeking seminars or receptions. That we would sit through incomprehensible and nearly interminable lectures just to snag some generic crackers and sweaty cheese cubes is disheartening. At least the administration didn't mind (the dean admitted that scavenging grad students meant somebody would show up at these seminars).

:lol::lol:

The teal bathroom jumped out at me, too--mainly because of the fuzzy toilet seat cover. People seem to either love or hate toilet covers/mats, so it might be better to remove it. The color combo seemed okay to me, though, minus the cover. Maybe make the bed in the boy's room a bit more inviting, so that it's more like the other beds in the house?

Excellent suggestions -- I will neutralize the bathroom and I agree -- ds11's bed needs some help.:001_smile:

Here's my critique as a buyer (please don't hate me- I am just trying to be helpful :)):

The interior and backyard photos are beautiful! The brickwork leading up to the house and out back to the porch is very lovely. The backyard photos are stunning. The kitchen and dining room decor is very well done without having personal effects laying around. It screams magazine worthy. Love the stove, mismatched dining chairs, and laundry room storage! Lots of natural lighting even in the basement. Everything gives the impression of cleanliness and freshness. (How about the baseboards, windows and window sills(inside and out)-are they spic and span too?)

One suggestion is to remove the two large mirrors (which I love!) and store them or move to the basement. Same with the bench under the window. This would open up the room more, add to the clean lines, and showcase the fireplace.

The front yard and view of the house which is also one's first impression (your first pic) does not do your house justice. I was stunned how beautiful the interior is. Somehow the outside must beckon the buyer to explore the inside. To the right of the entry (when facing the house) looks neglected. What is under the picture window-a plant box? Is it not painted? Can it be removed without damaging the exterior? Can you finish it off (stain/paint) and hide it with flowing vines and greenery/flowers? Hide the hose and spruce up the landscaping under the window. Seeing all the beautiful brick on one side and then the wood on the other kind of ruins the overall appearance. Maybe seed/fertilize the front yard grass to make it look as beautiful as the backyard? Maybe spruce the entry up a little too. The first impression needs to pop for the potential buyer.

It really is a very lovely house especially the interior (very well staged) and that gorgeous livable backyard. The front yard needs to draw the buyer inside. And with all that lovely brick it is almost there. :)

It's really nicely presented. Personally, I'd hide the dog bowls and remove the towels with the dog logos - not everyone likes pets and it might make them wonder about any 'accidents' in the past.

I'd also take up the spotty rug in the bathroom: the house feels very spacious in general, but that rug makes the room a bit busy and small.

Good luck with the sale,

Laura

:iagree: I totally agree -- it's downright presumptuous, imo. And, it would be like going into the fridge and pouring a glass of milk to go with the cookies.

During the summer when it was beastly hot and the house was on the market, I had printed out a little sign stating that there were cold bottles of water and soda in the fridge and folks should help themselves -- but it was all clearly marked -- and we were having 100+ degree temps.

This, though, was odd and a little out of line.

We left cookies & water out about 5-6x for various showings... Maybe it can be interpreted as presumptuous, but IMHO, if you didn't want them eaten you should have taken the tray with you. :)

I agree that the front picture of your beautiful home does not do it justice at all. You need something to take the attention away from the boring front and tired lawn (as it seems). I can't offer you any cheap, quick fixes.

I would definitely take away the two large mirrors and even the smaller mirror in the dining room along with several of all your pictures. I would remove the Home sign and most of the things on the open shelves and just have some cups etc. there. You have some nice dry flowers in vases, but along with the other items of decoration then they make the place seem cramped so I would remove some of the decorations. Definitely remove the dog bowls. Your basement is gorgeous and gets great lighting, but the furniture is not placed correctly down there.