Menu

January Crafters Update

Slightly late, sorry!

Life has prevented me doing anything much, though I am working on plans for a new story quilt. I went through my stash the other night, but haven't quite got what I need to get started. I wonder if if champagne bubble fabric even exists?

What have you gals been up to?

Rosie

I am just about finished my dd12's quilt, I have just the binding around the edge to go. I am hoping to have it finished by the weekend. If I do, I will try to post a pic of it on here.

Can I please count it in Jan craft, or do I have to wait a whole month. I wouldn't want to be cheating by giving myself an extra week or anything:D

Slightly late, sorry!

Life has prevented me doing anything much, though I am working on plans for a new story quilt. I went through my stash the other night, but haven't quite got what I need to get started. I wonder if if champagne bubble fabric even exists?

What have you gals been up to?

Rosie

what about poplin? it is bubbly.

I wasn't going to have anything to post, but yesterday I got the itch to do something and came up with this. It is a pendant I made with my silver baby spoon. For years I've had the thing sitting in my jewelry box, wondering what I could do with it. It has my name engraved on it, so saving it for a grandchild wasn't practical. I was playing around with the idea of making a ring out of the stem and a pendant out of the bowl. Hanging it from a chain as a spoon looked awkward. I finally came up with the idea of bending the stem over the bowl.

Edited by Onceuponatime

I wonder if if champagne bubble fabric even exists?

Are you talking about a textured fabric or one printed with champagne bubbles?

January was charity knitting month for me--hats and some blanket squares. And I made a sock for dh's new camera. I got the wig head for Christmas. Now I can photograph my hats on it. She has a skinny head, though. I might have to get the man head, too. They can be a couple--like the two papier mache heads in my 7th grade speech teacher's classroom--Grace the Face and Fred the Head.

Since I spent all of January on the couch with a broken ankle, I got a lot done (for me). I'm new to knitting and crocheting, so not as much as most of you can do. But I did make one scarf and a crochet hook holder (crocheted) and am almost don knitting another scarf.

I have also done school from the couch for my 6th grade dd and read many many books.

Linda

Huzzah! I love the crafter update threads. Good work all around ladies!

I finally finished the cartridge rib socks that I started a couple of months ago. (Pattern here for members of Ravelry.) The sock that I have just started is another Ravelry pattern, Granit. They are for my husband who has a February birthday. I wonder how late this gift will be!

I also stitched some pajama pants for my husband. No photo but they are finished in time for the birthday.

Once again, I gave away most of my projects and forgot to take pictures!

I crocheted scarves for my Son in law and my son for their birthdays.

3 flannel blankets for my new granddaughter.

2 fleece blanket sleepers for my grandson.

One day I will remember I own a camera..........

I finished knitting a baby sweater and nearly finished a second, but I ran out of yarn with only 1/4 of the last sleeve to do :glare:.

I knitted a baby cocoon. It is kinda like a swaddle type thing.

I started knitting socks. These are my first go at them and I am doing the toe up two at a time way. Unfortunately, I didnt have two balls of the same color, and I was too lazy to separate them into two balls, so I knit one sock for DD and one for DS. I guess the other sock for each child will be finished in time for the Feb thread:lol:.

I made a scarf and a hat for ds. I tried stepping up from the beginner knitting patterns but failed miserably :glare:. So I made a super easy set. And I started a scarf for myself. I've been trying to teach myself to use the sewing machine but I still need dh to help me thread the machine so I get stuck if he isn't here!

Well.... :glare: ... I took all the waist stitching out of DD's dress because she wanted me to add an apron. I made the apron and stitched it back in. Then, the sleeves were too tight. Simple fix, but I had to become one with the seam ripper. :tongue_smilie: So, that's my January craft.

Looking towards February, I have cleaned up my sewing area and made a home for my Christmas present - a scroll saw. I'm hoping to try it out sometime this weekend.

I'm envious of all you wonderful knitters. Every single project is gorgeous. Those prayers shawls are so pretty.

I never knew we had a monthly crafting thread!

Okay, my lone submission is a purse I made for my aunt. This is my favorite pattern, and I think I've now made 20 of these as gifts for various people. The pattern is called "Meadow" by Melly & Me, and the fabric is just from Hobby Lobby.

post-32748-13535086215426_thumb.jpg

what about poplin? it is bubbly.
Are you talking about a textured fabric or one printed with champagne bubbles?

Hmm. I'm hoping to get over to Spotlight today. I'll have a look. I'm wanting printed fabric, but not with bottles, but if I can't find some I'll have to settle for textured fabric. I need something really obvious for this piece.

You girls are making such pretty things :)

Melissa, you may count that quilt whenever you like. You've been working on it over a year!

:)

Rosie

I finished up a couple of winter dresses that were mocking me with their invisible zippers. The first is a vintage 60s dress, and the second is a vintage 40s swing dress.

I love the baby spoon! What a darling idea!

And the bag is too cute! I really need to sew some more bags and that one is just drool-worthy.

And of course, I always envy the knitters!

post-10706-1353508621646_thumb.jpg

post-10706-13535086217389_thumb.jpg

I finished up a couple of winter dresses that were mocking me with their invisible zippers. The first is a vintage 60s dress, and the second is a vintage 40s swing dress.

And the bag is too cute! I really need to sew some more bags and that one is just drool-worthy.

I love vintage dresses. Once upon a time when I actually had a waist, I looked really good in 40's clothing.

I love vintage dresses. Once upon a time when I actually had a waist, I looked really good in 40's clothing.

I bet you still look good in 40's clothing. Or maybe you just need to move into the 50's? Those big skirts really make the waist look small by comparison.

I wish I looked better in 40's things myself. I have broad shoulders and adding even more width to them in the true 40's shoulder style isn't always the most flattering choice :).

Thank you! Also, your dresses are lovely :001_tt1: (and ITA: invisible zippers are very scary!)

I just finished my St. Brigid Aran sweater, below. It's taken me six months but it's very heavily cabled. I LOVE it, and have worn it quite a lot. Apologies for the lousy pictures; I just clipped them on my chicken coop and took some shots.

0129_6424resize.jpg

and knit a quick mohair cardi for me. Got the yarn on HUGE sale at Webs, and had fun with it.

0129_6415resize.jpg

Can I join in too? I haven't done any crafting for the last year, but a few weeks ago I pulled out my spinning stuff and backstrap loom. I have lots of yarn spun and ready to dye, although I'll have to figure out what my options are for doing that here. And then I have to figure you what I want to weave. I've hardly ever used my loom, so it'll be mostly new to me.

I need to see if I can find a place that sells good yarn. There's one bazaar with lots of fabric and stuff, but people are starting to say they're having trouble with bedbugs in fabric they've bought there, so I need to look else (and hope that store didn't shop at the Medina Bazaar).

I just finished my St. Brigid Aran sweater, below. It's taken me six months but it's very heavily cabled. I LOVE it, and have worn it quite a lot. Apologies for the lousy pictures; I just clipped them on my chicken coop and took some shots.

0129_6424resize.jpg

Wow! May I sign up for hand-me-downs should you tire of your Aran sweater? ;)

WOW, I am in such awe of your sewing skills!!! Those are GORGEOUS!!!

BRAVO!

astrid

I wasn't going to have anything to post, but yesterday I got the itch to do something and came up with this. It is a pendant I made with my silver baby spoon. For years I've had the thing sitting in my jewelry box, wondering what I could do with it. It has my name engraved on it, so saving it for a grandchild wasn't practical. I was playing around with the idea of making a ring out of the stem and a pendant out of the bowl. Hanging it from a chain as a spoon looked awkward. I finally came up with the idea of bending the stem over the bowl.

OH that is stunning!! SO pretty-- and I love the whole idea of repurposing treasured items!

astrid

Okay, my lone submission is a purse I made for my aunt. This is my favorite pattern, and I think I've now made 20 of these as gifts for various people. The pattern is called "Meadow" by Melly & Me, and the fabric is just from Hobby Lobby.

You should change your board name to Vera. As in Vera Bradley. :001_smile:

So pretty!

astrid

How do you like the Brava? Is is softer than the chain store brands? Do tell!

This was my first time ordering and knitting with it so I was a little nervous since it's acrylic and I couldn't touch it first. I've been very happy with it though! It is incredibly soft! It's nothing like the "cheap" acrylic yarn that you get from big box craft stores. It's soft and glides easily across the needles and through my fingers. I actually just placed another order for the yarn to make 2 more baby blankets if that's any indicator. :)

My only "complaint" is that I think it should be worked on bigger needles than what they say - they say #3-5 needles and 6 sts to 1" for the sport weight. I'm using a 5 and I think next time I'd use a 6 because the stitches seem awfully close/tight at gauge.

0129_6424resize.jpg

and knit a quick mohair cardi for me. Got the yarn on HUGE sale at Webs, and had fun with it.

0129_6415resize.jpg

:001_wub: I'm swooning over your St. Brigid Aran. I looooove cables and you did an amazing job!

I LOVE that purse! Seriously, you should think of selling on Etsy or something. If you've made 20 of them, I bet it goes quickly now.

I haven't made anything in forever. Well, ok, since December. :D But Zee needs pajama pants, and I want to sew him some, so perhaps I'll have some pics for the Feb. thread.

And some day, I'm actually gonna learn how to crochet.

I have crocheted 1 owl hat, 6 Griz (one of our state college football teams) hats, 2 throw blankets out of old t's, sweatshirts and football jerseys (that was a trade for a lady that made DD-2 an awesome knitted sweater for xmas) and then I knitted a pair of longies (pants) to go with the sweater....first I had to teach myself how to knit.:lol:

Heh, I'm trying to sew baby girl a summer dress. Only I don't really know how to sew and am using YouTube to try and teach myself. I'm afraid to ask for help from someone IRL because I don't want them to know how stupid I am.:lol: This might only be hilarious to me, but I think it's hilarious

My only "complaint" is that I think it should be worked on bigger needles than what they say - they say #3-5 needles and 6 sts to 1" for the sport weight. I'm using a 5 and I think next time I'd use a 6 because the stitches seem awfully close/tight at gauge.

You should leave a comment on the Rav page. The Merino Style had the same issue. It's listed as dk but got many comments that it knit up to a worsted gauge. I bought some anyway and had to agree with the comments--it's thicker than some of the worsted I use, like Wool-ease.

Thanks for the details on the yarn. I've been doing a lot of charity knitting and trying various big box acrylics to see which I like best. I will have to add Brava to my list. I hope KP comes out with a worsted weight washable wool and acrylic or nylon blend. I see they have a bulky--Biggo. I might just have to try that one, too. :D

You should change your board name to Vera. As in Vera Bradley. :001_smile:

So pretty!

astrid

Aw, thank you! Your sweaters are absolutely amazing. I can't do any crocheting or knitting at all. Someday I'll learn, hopefully! I remember the first time I saw a VB purse. Here was the thought process that followed:

WOW, I love this!

WOW, I can NOT afford this!

Hey, maybe I can make this... :D

(The trick to getting that look is using fusible fleece to line bags instead of regular interfacing!)

Heh, I'm trying to sew baby girl a summer dress. Only I don't really know how to sew and am using YouTube to try and teach myself. I'm afraid to ask for help from someone IRL because I don't want them to know how stupid I am.:lol: This might only be hilarious to me, but I think it's hilarious

You could start with a pillowcase dress. They are really easy to make and adorable!

I LOVE that purse! Seriously, you should think of selling on Etsy or something. If you've made 20 of them, I bet it goes quickly now.

Thanks! I do sell on Etsy (to cover my gift giving habit!) When I want to give a purse as a gift, I buy enough for two and then sell one. It takes about 12 hours to make two of these or 8 hours to make one.

Edited by Element
I still don't know how to multi-quote without editing.