Menu

Cincinnati Convention, anyone?

Well, I'm really bummed that I didn't go to SWB's 2nd Time Around one! I went to three of her other ones, but we had to leave before that. Of course, I'm still on my 1st time around, so I'm not sure I'd have been able to talk dh into going to it anyway. It sounds like I really missed a good one.

In SWB's literature analysis one, someone asked about getting kids to read worthwhile books instead of fluff and SWB said to let them read whatever they wanted for fun. Then she said that she didn't read quality lit to relax and something about not having the Odyssey on her nightstand. I am now dying to know WHAT SWB reads for fun?!?!? What is on her nightstand?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed to me that there were fewer attendees this year--and that there were fewer conservatively dressed people? Did anyone else notice that?

Well, we must consider that the Duggar clan wasn't there. They had a MAJOR draw last year. They were lined up for hours before the show started. I thought there were more conservatively dressed folks. I saw quite a few Amish families there. I can't imagine the culture shock for their kids. I know there is another group that dresses similar, but I've drawn a complete blank on who they are.

I spent the whole day today recovering. I tried to do a bit of work today, just putting away all the crap I brought home, but I was just so tired, I decided to take a nap. It was a lot of walking, and hotel beds are horrible.

I really loved Kirk Martin. He has some awesome ideas for dealing with kids and family dynamics. I can't wait to implement some of them in our home.

I definitely thought the attendance was down this year. But last year was so very crowded because of the Duggars that I really hoped for fewer attendees this year. I'm trying to remember what attendance was like two years ago, and if this year's was down from that. i.e. how many didn't come back because of the kerfluffle.

Cin, I think the families you saw were Mennonite, not Amish. I saw several Mennonite families there, but none that looked Amish to me. Usually Amish wear dark colored clothes without zippers, and no printed fabrics. Mennonites will wear printed fabrics, and lighter colors, and can have zippers. Not all Amish and old order Mennonites follow these rules though. And there are plenty of Mennonites who aren't old order and dress just like you and I. (that's probably more than you wanted to know!):001_smile:

I definitely thought the attendance was down this year..

:001_smile:

I KNOW the attendance is down this year. Every time I went to the exhibit hall I can actually walk the aisle with ease. Go up and down escalators with ease. I remember last year the crowd was so bad that I couldn't move anywhwere in the halls, exhibit halls, and workshop rooms were overflowing. This year there was only one workshop that I wanted to go to and couldn't due to a father blocking the doorway with a stroller. This was inspite of signs posted on the door about strolllers. ggggrr!! Anyway I just walked away and said outloud forget that. Went to exhibit hall instead.

Attendance was def. down this year. I liked it that way. :) I still do not know if I will come back next year. I will if my hubby will go with me next year.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN
spelling and grammar errors....need to correct before grammar police sees it

It seemed to me that there were fewer attendees this year--and that there were fewer conservatively dressed people? Did anyone else notice that?

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I totally noticed this! I saw only a few denim jumpers and a lot of denim pants. :lol: It is nice homeschoolers are loosening up.

Some of my favorites this year were Michael Clay Thompson, Regan and Amy Barr, and Adam Andrews.

I should add that Susan Wise Bauer is my all-time favorite convention speaker, hands-down. I only went to one of her talks this year though because I have heard her speak so many times that I have heard every talk at least twice. Some talks, like Homeschooling the Second Time, I could probably recite from memory. :D

This year I foolishly decided to skip Homeschooling the Second Time, and I went to Rebecca Keliher's talk instead. This was a mistake on several levels. First off, Ht2ndT is a nice little shot of encouragement for me each year. It reminds me that in spite of whatever mistakes I make along the way, our homeschool adventure will turn out okay in the end, and I am not ruining my children's chances of ever getting into college, or having happy, productive lives. Go hear this talk if you ever have the chance. (It is never recorded - you have to hear it in person.)

Secondly, Keliher's talk was full of noisy babies and strollers - despite the signs prohibiting them. And it was clear that the moms in the room had no intention of removing their noisy babies. And since one of these babies was directly behind me, I was incredibly distracted, and left the talk ten minutes in.

Then I wandered in to two other talks, and left both, because they didn't really hold my interest or apply to my situation. I totally wasted that hour, when I could have been listening to Susan's encouraging words. And I won't get to correct my mistake next year either. I hope you are coming back in 2014 Susan, because I am going to need you!

Ok, so I hadn't heard this. SWB isn't coming back to the GHC circuit? Is she speaking *anywhere* next year? Just not Cincy? And from this we are to conclude...

She posted it on her blog and also mentioned it at her 2nd time around talk. It's a combination of being tired of convention politics and needing to devote more time to family--both her aging parents & dh/kids. Also the need to devote some time to the farm, writing projects, and a chance to get a break after 14 years of conventions.

Ok, so I hadn't heard this. SWB isn't coming back to the GHC circuit? Is she speaking *anywhere* next year? Just not Cincy? And from this we are to conclude...

...that she is a very busy mama and needs a break. :) She also has lambs on the farm now who will need her during next convention season. :D She explains the decision on her blog. I think it's a good thing for her and her family and I'm glad she's taking the time off she needs. No conventions at all next year. I hope she does another small homeschool event similar to Valley Forge or the writing workshop though. I went to both and strongly prefer the smaller setting.

Popping in for a minute....

I thought attendance was down, too. I think it's going to decline naturally, because there are several others now and because you can only go to a convention so many years.

I really enjoyed the classical "mini conference" going on in room 260. ;) Andrew Kern and Christopher Perrin were wonderful, as was Andrew Pudewa. I can't even express how much help a few of those talks were. I also spent some nice time talking with vendors/authors and looking at materials.

I thought the children situation was better this year. I still wish people understood that babies cooing loudly is just as bad as crying. And I wish people with several children and all of their toys would be nice enough to sit in the back instead of distracting all of the people behind them. But there seemed to be less dc in general, and that made it better.

It was great to see many of you!

I thought the children situation was better this year. I still wish people understood that babies cooing loudly is just as bad as crying. And I wish people with several children and all of their toys would be nice enough to sit in the back instead of distracting all of the people behind them. But there seemed to be less dc in general, and that made it better.

:iagree:

I dont know about attendance. Last year it was PACKED as far as people- but yet we got a better parking spot? The speaker sessons were full!

This year i didnt attend sessions so i dont know, but it didnt feel like there were as many people, yet we had to park farther away?

I hope the attendance doesnt decrease enough for them to stop it because i dont think i would travel out of state for any others. I dont even know if id go to the one in Northern Ohio.

:001_unsure:

I was wondering about attendance, too. The exhibit hall seemed less crowded but sometimes the hallways and rooms upstairs seemed more crowded? It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers if they release them.

I enjoyed Adam Andrews, Christopher Perrin and a few others. My teens have done the teen track for a few years so they got a bit more creative and went to some different sessions. My oldest two have been reading a classics list for a few years for fun and so they concentrated on going to the lit sessions, Martin Cothran, Adam Andrews and one other. They enjoyed most of them but hit one terrible speaker who I won't mention by name but they have been having a fun time doing imitations of that speaker since :)

I was actually annoyed only by one child this time and I tried to feel sympathy for the Mom instead of being annoyed - it didn't quite work :) I actually saw more rude adults than I'd ever seen before. In one session a wife walked in late, sat across the room from her husband and they had an animated "whispered" conversation during the speaker -- what???? Really annoying. It was in a smaller room and really distracting. Also, if you think you might not stay for the whole session, you might not want to sit right smack in the middle of the front row, especially if you're in one of the smaller rooms. In one session I was in, there was a constant flow of people standing up and leaving from the front of the room and it was really distracting after a while. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Overall, we all really enjoyed the conference this year. I missed Timberdoodle and All About Learning Press not being there. Also was looking for Vision Forum but shouldn't be surprised they weren't there, I guess (caveat: I don't agree with everything about Vision Forum but do enjoy some of their resources on entrepreneurship and homesteading). On my list to buy was the D.I.V.E. CD for Chemistry but couldn't find anybody selling them except Rainbow and didn't want to stand in line to order just one thing.

I really enjoyed the classical "mini conference" going on in room 260. ;) Andrew Kern and Christopher Perrin were wonderful, as was Andrew Pudewa. I can't even express how much help a few of those talks were. I also spent some nice time talking with vendors/authors and looking at materials.

:iagree::iagree: I had a great conference ... very encouraged and the talks in 260-262 were the main reason why. I was really happy to finally meet Andrew Kern in person and hear him speak in person.

I finally left that room on Saturday and heard Sonya Shafer, SWB (The second time around was very encouraging. I love that talk and I'm glad I heard it this year), and Carol Reynolds (the Hymns in the Homeschool talk ... it was *fun* I learned something and she was energetic, but not overly academic ... perfect for late on Saturday when my brain was turning to mush).

It was great to meet many of you ... and wonderful, as always, to see you Angela. I love speaking with you and your friend, you're encouragements to me :)

Sorry I missed Friday night, sounds like it was a good time, but my MIL and I shared purchases and notes back at her house. I've mentioned it before, but I have the best MIL ever. She and my SIL had a great time and enjoyed meeting many of you!

I have not attended any of the GHC conferences and have never heard Susan in person. Maybe she will pop in to this thread and hear my plea that she consider making an mp3 of the Second Time Around talk...and anything else that comes to her mind during her much deserved, much needed sabbatical. I mean, she can just sit under a tree and talk...and then share. :) LOL!

Sigh.

I have not attended any of the GHC conferences and have never heard Susan in person. Maybe she will pop in to this thread and hear my plea that she consider making an mp3 of the Second Time Around talk...and anything else that comes to her mind during her much deserved, much needed sabbatical. I mean, she can just sit under a tree and talk...and then share. :) LOL!

Sigh.

I wouldn't mind a live virtual conference in the future. Something that is all about the speaking sessions without the travel.

I just saw today that the 'Creation Museum' had its own 'curriculum fair' this past weekend. There was bragging about the huge attendance on FB. :glare:

All's fair . . they weren't allowed to be at Midwest Convention.

I'm wondering if some people that wanted their products ran over there at different points during the convention? Maybe that's why the exhibit hall felt a bit emptier than usual. I sure didn't miss the congestion though I know it isn't good for the vendors. I enjoyed being able to ask a few more questions and interact more with the exhibitors rather than just squeezing in and out of the booths.

I just saw today that the 'Creation Museum' had its own 'curriculum fair' this past weekend. There was bragging about the huge attendance on FB. :glare:

Well I had to look all over, still couldn't find the bragging, and there were no numbers. I'm disappointed! I was hoping to see concrete facts! All I found was an informal cell phone picture (not very good) of a large crowd, and that was on KH's fb, not AIG's. That's totally great. Means people who wanted to go there went, big woop. And since the GHC people have graciously condescended to CENSOR what people at the convention can see and hear (Ken Ham, Julie Bogart, things SWB wants to say), I say bravo to AIG for making such an offer to people. There's nothing wrong with it and it's all good. And I think it's great that SWB isn't going next year. I mean its sad for us, because we'll miss hearing from her. On the other hand, her presence has MADE that convention what it is and is the ONLY reason that convention took off. I've gone from the first year, and we all know it's the truth. So when she walks out the door, that idiot at GHC is going to have to figure out for himself how to make it attractive, sans SWB. Whatever he paid her, he didn't pay her enough.

Well, creation museum was not invited so all is fair in this case. I would have gone there this past weekend for the afternoon however I didn't want to loose my parking space in the garage. (I got a really good one this time!! The same level as the skywalk walkway to Duke) I know we could have walked but it was a bit too far for me to make it back in time for the session I wanted to hear.

They have a right to hold their "fair" just like GHC has a right to hold theirs all in the same weekend.

I do not miss the congestation at all so I enjoyed having a very slow pace in exhibit hall and not get run over by suitcases or those pulling boxes that I get run over with or hit with. :D

:D

Holly

That's totally great. Means people who wanted to go there went, big woop. And since the GHC people have graciously condescended to CENSOR what people at the convention can see and hear (Ken Ham, Julie Bogart, things SWB wants to say), I say bravo to AIG for making such an offer to people. There's nothing wrong with it and it's all good.

So when she walks out the door, that idiot at GHC is going to have to figure out for himself how to make it attractive, sans SWB. Whatever he paid her, he didn't pay her enough.

AMEN AMEN!!!! :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Holly

Well, creation museum was not invited so all is fair in this case. I would have gone there this past weekend for the afternoon however I didn't want to loose my parking space in the garage. (I got a really good one this time!! The same level as the skywalk walkway to Duke) I know we could have walked but it was a bit too far for me to make it back in time for the session I wanted to hear.

Walk to the creation museum? It's 20 miles from the convention center. Farther than I'd want to walk. :tongue_smilie:

I have not attended any of the GHC conferences and have never heard Susan in person. Maybe she will pop in to this thread and hear my plea that she consider making an mp3 of the Second Time Around talk...
The reason she doesn't record it is that it contains personal family information--she will not record it.

Well I had to look all over, still couldn't find the bragging, and there were no numbers. I'm disappointed! I was hoping to see concrete facts! All I found was an informal cell phone picture (not very good) of a large crowd, and that was on KH's fb, not AIG's. That's totally great. Means people who wanted to go there went, big woop. And since the GHC people have graciously condescended to CENSOR what people at the convention can see and hear (Ken Ham, Julie Bogart, things SWB wants to say), I say bravo to AIG for making such an offer to people. There's nothing wrong with it and it's all good. And I think it's great that SWB isn't going next year. I mean its sad for us, because we'll miss hearing from her. On the other hand, her presence has MADE that convention what it is and is the ONLY reason that convention took off. I've gone from the first year, and we all know it's the truth. So when she walks out the door, that idiot at GHC is going to have to figure out for himself how to make it attractive, sans SWB. Whatever he paid her, he didn't pay her enough.

I saw KH post this with a pic..."Here is a photo of Creation Museum guests crowding around the resources during our Curriculum Fair this weekend. Hundreds of books videos etc wer obtained. This greatly excites me as I know how these resources are being used around the world to change lives." To me, it sounded like bragging. Maybe I'm just so darn aggravated about it that anything gets me spun up. When you say *big woop*, that gets me spun up, too. I am looking at it from the vendor's perspective (I am not one, though) and I imagine they are pretty tired of their sales being down so much, since most people aren't going to attend both conventions. I hate that GHC got stupid, and that makes me mad, too. I just want everybody to be able to get along, and that will not happen. So many talented people I want to see in the same place, and that will never happen again. Maybe I'm just too mad to comment any more. :tongue_smilie:

We went to three of Dr. Reynolds' talks and had a blast. That is one energetic woman. The hymn sing was incredible. That and Homeschooling the Second Time totally made my weekend.

I can't wait to start using some of her Discovering Music curriculum.

I spent almost an hour with the College Board folks, talking about CLEP vs AP vs SAT 2 and why they weren't also promoting PSAT and SAT testing and lots of other topics. The guy was a homeschool dad and the woman had spent decades working in college admissions, so they ended up being quite a mine of information.

I also really liked talking to Janice Campbell. I think I've got a good way forward for what we're doing in lit for high school.

Ginger, was AIG selling anything *besides* their stuff? I didn't get the impression they were, but I could have missed it. I saw their email and took it to mean it was 20% off their stuff. So it was no competition. And yes, I felt bad for the vendors, though the ones I talked to didn't seem unhappy. There were quite a few empty booths too.

All's fair . . they weren't allowed to be at Midwest Convention.

I'm wondering if some people that wanted their products ran over there at different points during the convention? Maybe that's why the exhibit hall felt a bit emptier than usual. I sure didn't miss the congestion though I know it isn't good for the vendors. I enjoyed being able to ask a few more questions and interact more with the exhibitors rather than just squeezing in and out of the booths.

I need to say something here....

As far as I know, GHC extended an olive branch, apologized for the handling of the matter and have offered to invite them back. The ball has been in their court for a while... they chose not to come back and yet do the "new" conventions & Creation museum bookfair or whatever.

So, it's not quite fair, as they were offered to be allowed back. Those Who Will Not Be Named seem to be making a very concerted effort to sow the seeds of dischord and divisiveness.

Still feeds into my conspiracy theory. ;)

Overall, I went to 4 workshops. Two of them I liked and two I didn't.

I loved SWB's Homeschooling the Real Child. I am just getting ready to start homeschooling my DD, so there were alot of tips that I will be able to try if/when we run into problems. I also thoroughly enjoyed Denise Eide's The Logic of English. I bought her book and am seriously considering using the curriculum as well. Very interesting!

I went to Diana Waring's Exposing the Wizard of Oz, and I don't know if it was because it was early in the morning or what, but for most of it I was pretty bored. There were a few tidbits I got from it, but not much. I made sure to go to the MCT Poetics talk because everyone said it was so good. I left half way through because I was bored to tears. I did not enjoy it at all.

Sorry you didn't like it. I found it fascinating, and even my 10 yo ADD son was riveted and loved it. To each their own!

Oh yes, totally! I am glad I went to the MCT talk just so I could know, because then I would have wondered about it. I also went to the Cathy Duffy talk on Learning Styles (I knew I was forgetting one when I posted earlier!). It was pretty good.

As far as I know, GHC extended an olive branch, apologized for the handling of the matter and have offered to invite them back. The ball has been in their court for a while... they chose not to come back and yet do the "new" conventions & Creation museum bookfair or whatever.

So, it's not quite fair, as they were offered to be allowed back. Those Who Will Not Be Named seem to be making a very concerted effort to sow the seeds of dischord and divisiveness.

I do not blame them for not wanting to go back. Why would they want to risk that when they make engagements like that and get booted out again? Ken Hamm lost money due to him passing up other speaking engagements to speak at GHC in Cincy last year. If I made plans to speak at a convention or church and had to pass up other speaking opportunities then got kicked out...that is a loss of revenue for the speaker. I will not take that chance again if this happened to me so I understand why Ken Hamm and AIG do not want to accept the opportunity to come back.

Not trying to divide here but just wanted to give both parties support.

Holly

I was just going by what was said last year during the kerfuffle. Not sure what has happened since that point. I can see why they wouldn't come back but maybe that will change as time passes.

I do not blame them for not wanting to go back. Why would they want to risk that when they make engagements like that and get booted out again? Ken Hamm lost money due to him passing up other speaking engagements to speak at GHC in Cincy last year. If I made plans to speak at a convention or church and had to pass up other speaking opportunities then got kicked out...that is a loss of revenue for the speaker. I will not take that chance again if this happened to me so I understand why Ken Hamm and AIG do not want to accept the opportunity to come back.

Not trying to divide here but just wanted to give both parties support.

Holly

It probably would have been wise for him to guard his tongue in that case and try not to be a jerk. That typically goes a long way in preventing one from being kicked out of conventions.

As far as I know, GHC extended an olive branch, apologized for the handling of the matter and have offered to invite them back. The ball has been in their court for a while... they chose not to come back and yet do the "new" conventions & Creation museum bookfair or whatever...

Then we read SWB's blog and find out how congenial and easy to work with, how agreeable and uncensorious the GHC people are even when you ARE on their good side. You really think anyone else would come back?! Talk is cheap by GHC. Not that SWB is a flea, but man even the fleas are jumpin' off this dog. :lol:

Just a slight corrective here...you'll notice that I named no particular conventions IN that blog post. Because that would be tacky.

The instances I described have happened over the past two years and have come from a wide variety of convention organizers. But none of them came from GHC. GHC has never put any restrictions on *me* whatsoever, which I have appreciated.

Accuracy is important...

SWB

Just a slight corrective here...you'll notice that I named no particular conventions IN that blog post. Because that would be tacky.

The instances I described have happened over the past two years and have come from a wide variety of convention organizers. But none of them came from GHC. GHC has never put any restrictions on *me* whatsoever, which I have appreciated.

Accuracy is important...

SWB

Thanks for that clarification! It's definitely something I wondered about. I think the whole thing is appalling, no matter who does it.

Great convention, again. So grateful for the opportunity to be there. I loved all of the sessions I went to - Andrew Kern, Adam Andrews, Christopher Perrin, Todd Wilson, Marcia Somerville, Michael Clay Thompson, Kirk Martin, and of course SWB. Homeschooling the 2nd Time was wonderful and really impacted me, so glad I was able to hear it this year.

The get together on Friday night was fun! Thanks Elizabeth for planning it! And it was fun to run into fellow boardies I've met in years past throughout the weekend.

Lady Dusk, you do have an amazing MIL. We passed each other many times in the vendor hall. I still have the world's best MIL however...she was home watching my kids most of the weekend. We've both been blessed!

I do think the convention numbers were down a bit, although the parking garages were still quite full on Thursday and Friday, a bit less on Saturday. There were some empty booths in the vendor hall, but there were 20 rows of booths altogether!

Yes, I spent a lot of time in Rooms 260-262 too. Andrew Kern's first session was fabulous. I didn't really get a chance to cruise the Exhibit Hall much this year but I did stop by specific booths to talk to folks. I didn't attend any of SWB's talks because I own them on CDs. I would've loved to hear her "Hsing the Second Time" talk even though I've heard it before, but my ride was leaving at 2 pm on Sat. :-(

It was fun to say hello to familiar faces and have dessert with a few of you. Thanks to Elizabeth for organizing the gathering.

The convention was definitely not as crowded as last year. We got there a little earlier on Thurs afternoon to beat the insane crowd at registration we experienced last year, but it wasn't crowded at all.

I'm not sure if I will attend next year but I'm glad I made the effort to get there this year.

Lady Dusk, you do have an amazing MIL. We passed each other many times in the vendor hall. I still have the world's best MIL however...she was home watching my kids most of the weekend. We've both been blessed!

Indeed we have, Denise!

My MIL usually watches my children, but she's homeschooling again and wanted to attend the convention this year, so my husband stayed home (he needed a vacation anyway!)

It sure is pleasant to hear someone else who loves their MIL, though. :)

V, it was lovely to see you again. I hope you can make it next year.

Edited by ladydusk

I'm not sure if I will attend next year but I'm glad I made the effort to get there this year.

I'm very glad you were able to be there this year. It was so good to see you!

And now, the burning question...what did you decide about LTOW? (I already know what Dawn decided :001_smile:). I was excited to find out yesterday that one of my friends is planning to get LTOW. So I will be able to spend some time looking at hers. Several of my local friends went to Andrew Kern and Christopher Perrin sessions and were pretty excited about them, so I'm thrilled to be able to keep discussing with them!

It was great to meet many of you ... and wonderful, as always, to see you Angela. I love speaking with you and your friend, you're encouragements to me :)

Awww, thanks. I second the fact that your MIL is awesome. I can't even imagine a universe in which my dmil comes to a homeschool convention with me. :lol:

OhElizabeth...I am coming out of hiding to post that I enjoyed meeting you so much on Friday and everyone else at our table. Still, the only other name that I can remember is Andrew, husband to a WTM gal that worked in the frigid north for a while. :)

I also went to the MCT Poetics talk and I was blown away. I never realized how much poetry is to be found in prose and how much richer of a reading experience one can have if they notice...probably because I hated the poetry units in school (and I think my teachers hated them too).

Andrew Pudewa's speech on Mastery Learning was also wonderful. I was pleased all around. I have a lot to think about now. It was also great just seeing so many other homeschoolers! I've been so isolated for so many years, it's almost unbelievable how many of us there are! I was also impressed with how nice and gracious everyone was.

:iagree: Pudewa's talk was one of my favorites. His "homeschooling boys and kids who would rather make forts all day" was absolutely hilarious. My stomach hurt by the time I walked out of that one:lol: