Menu

Cincinnati Convention, anyone?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wedding that weekend. :( I couldn't go last year because i had a nursing. I won't be able to go next year because i'll have a nursling. I was so bummed when I dicovered they were the same weekend. Can't miss the wedding- it's close family.

You can take nurslings. :) I will be.

Oh, I know. But I'd have to travel about 5 hours, then juggling a baby while manuvering through crowds. That just doesn't sound like a fun weekend. But de is getting older and I need to start thinking about high school.

Oh, I know. But I'd have to travel about 5 hours, then juggling a baby while manuvering through crowds. That just doesn't sound like a fun weekend. But de is getting older and I need to start thinking about high school.

I hear you there. I also am driving ~5 hours. I plan on bringing a baby carrier and mostly hitting up SWB and the booths. :)

I am not going this year for the first time since it started. I have found that I don't enjoy it as much now that it has gotten so big. I actually thought I would enjoy it more but I usually find myself just wandering the aisles and hiking 10 miles to go to sessions. I also don't feel the money invested to go (travel, hotels, food, conference fees) are really worth it to me since I already know what materials I am using from year to year and could easily just buy them on the Internet.

I hear you! Twice, I've brought foster babies with me (one year, the baby was 6 weeks and last year, it was 2 of the triplets we had-couldn't leave dh with 3 infants). It was never as enjoyable for me. And, there was no way I was going to stay in SWB workshop with a fussy infant. :D

I'll be there this year sans babies. Really. Even if we get a placement, dh is on his own this year. :auto:

Can we plan it for Friday? My Thursday to Sunday "luxury weekend away" window :lol: has now shrunk to Friday and Saturday thanks to a school function, a meeting, and a wrestling tournament. :glare: I'm hanging on to Saturday, but I'm losing the fight. I may end up driving down Thursday late and having to come back Friday night.

I went last year to shop. My mom and son came with me and we made a great 3 day trip out of it - Creation Museum and Newport Aquarium. We stayed at a place in KY called the Drawbridge Inn which had an indoor pool and a shuttle to the Creation Museum.

I'm planning on it again this year because I'm looking ahead to higher grades and want to touch and sniff the curriculum. I wish Veritas Press would be there - I'll have to wait until the CHAP (Pennsylvania HS conf) to visit the Veritas open house.

Can we plan it for Friday? My Thursday to Sunday "luxury weekend away" window :lol: has now shrunk to Friday and Saturday thanks to a school function, a meeting, and a wrestling tournament. :glare: I'm hanging on to Saturday, but I'm losing the fight. I may end up driving down Thursday late and having to come back Friday night.

Never mind; I'll be there the whole time. I'm taking off without the kiddos! (Dh is such a sweetheart. :D)

Yeah, I agree. I don't enjoy it as much now that it's so big, either. I don't really like the location, either. I liked it better when we were out at that church and could leave to go eat, go to the hotel, etc. and come back; didn't worry about walking in the dark to our car; had less far to trek to get to sessions and things like that....

I really don't want to go stay downtown and I don't like walking around by myself downtown, either.... I feel like I need to get to my car before dark - I just don't like it at all....

Yeah, I agree. I don't enjoy it as much now that it's so big, either. I don't really like the location, either. I liked it better when we were out at that church and could leave to go eat, go to the hotel, etc. and come back; didn't worry about walking in the dark to our car; had less far to trek to get to sessions and things like that....

I really don't want to go stay downtown and I don't like walking around by myself downtown, either.... I feel like I need to get to my car before dark - I just don't like it at all....

Now you have me worried! I lived downtown as a kid, but now I'm a rural gal and I was planning on going just with my LO. Perhaps I'll take my mom with so that I will feel safer.

Now you have me worried! I lived downtown as a kid, but now I'm a rural gal and I was planning on going just with my LO. Perhaps I'll take my mom with so that I will feel safer.

I've been going for years, and I feel very safe going out to my car even at 9:00-10:00 at night. I'm usually a worrier, too, but there are a LOT of people around. We do the $5 parking and take the walkway over, and it's quick and safe. Don't be worried.

I've been going for years, and I feel very safe going out to my car even at 9:00-10:00 at night. I'm usually a worrier, too, but there are a LOT of people around. We do the $5 parking and take the walkway over, and it's quick and safe. Don't be worried.

Thanks. I'm a little paranoid, especially since I'll have my one year old with me.

Does anyone know when the speaking schedule comes out? I'm waiting to figure out which days I will go. The 22nd there is some really neat Pompeii things going on for kids at the Cincy museum. :) For those of you who like that museum.

Thanks. I'm a little paranoid, especially since I'll have my one year old with me.

Does anyone know when the speaking schedule comes out? I'm waiting to figure out which days I will go. The 22nd there is some really neat Pompeii things going on for kids at the Cincy museum. :) For those of you who like that museum.

Yes, the Cincinnati Museum Center will have the Pompeii exhibit going on. They will have things across all 3 museums.

Also, do not be paranoid! Downtown Cincinnati is harmless. They will also have tons of cops, 'cause they understand this is a heavy family event and that it brings lots o' $$ into the city. I am soooo happy it moved.

Last year, we had a group on the Community forum. The Midwest Homeschool Convention something. Are we going to have one of those again?

Will we be planning a time and place to have a board meeting again?

Will we be identifying ourselves with "bee" items again?

I do enjoy the opportunity to meet my fellow hive members!

I'll be missing it for the first time in several years :(

We usually bring the kids to see the grandparents in Louisville, and head over for the convention. This year, that side of the family has a big reunion in May, so we'll be seeing the g'rents then and spending a lot of moolah in the process.

Dh and I will be there. This will be our 3rd year.

I'm hoping to go this year! I've never gone to a convention ever in six years of homeschooling. Other than SWB, which speakers are can't miss? I'm interested in academic talks mainly. We're also secular homeschoolers.

Cheryl Lowe is great, if you're interested in Latin. :001_smile:

Go to the MCT talk about poetics, even if you're not going to use MCT.

Dh and I will be there. This will be our 3rd year.

Cheryl Lowe is great, if you're interested in Latin. :001_smile:

Go to the MCT talk about poetics, even if you're not going to use MCT.

I agree about the MCT talk on poetics. I'm making ds sit in on this one again.

I'll be there on Thurs., but I'm afraid I might have to leave early to return dd for a volleyball tournament, unless I leave her home w/dh. I'm waiting on the schedule for final plans. DD would be heartbroken to miss it. This would be her final year with the kids' portion.

I hope I can make it to the hive hookup. Maybe early afternoon Friday?????

Laura

I'm hoping to go this year! I've never gone to a convention ever in six years of homeschooling. Other than SWB, which speakers are can't miss? I'm interested in academic talks mainly. We're also secular homeschoolers.

Any and all of the MCT talks, definitely. The Ed Zaccaro math talks are also interesting.

Any and all of the MCT talks, definitely. The Ed Zaccaro math talks are also interesting.

I second this.

I would also recommend some of the other classical speakers, too, such as Andrew Kern and Christopher Perrin. Yes, they will speak from a religious POV, but you will find so much of value. Their main focus (in most talks, read the descriptions of course) is academics.

I second this.

I would also recommend some of the other classical speakers, too, such as Andrew Kern and Christopher Perrin. Yes, they will speak from a religious POV, but you will find so much of value. Their main focus (in most talks, read the descriptions of course) is academics.

Andrew Kern isn't coming to Cincinnati again, more Buck Holler :confused::glare:

Christopher Perrin and Martin Cothran are two of my favorite of the Classical speakers.

And, I sat in one of Sonya Shafer's lectures last year, if you're at all interested in CM, she was pretty good.

Those two did catch my eye. I'd especially love to hear MCT.

So possibly (if they are scheduled so I can do them all):

Susan Wise Bauer

Ed Zaccaro

Michael Clay Thomas

Sonya Shafer

Cheryl Lowe

Are these conventions worth it if you don't plan to buy curricula? I've pretty much decided on what we're using next year.

Kids or no kids? My youngest is 8, and he and my 11 yo dd would probably be the only ones even wanting to come. Possibly ds2 as it will be right before his 15th birthday. He's more adventurous and a weekend in a city would be a new experience (for all of us!).

What do we think of Todd Wilson?