Menu

Cincinnati Convention, anyone?

Does anyone remember when they released the schedule last year? I know they changed it a few times before the convention date. I wonder if that's why they're waiting to release it this time?

It's always been released a couple weeks beforehand ... and changed after the first release. I end up printing 2-3 copies every year.:lol:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if they will give me a copy of the schedule when I get there, or do I need to print it at home? My printer is broken, so trying to figure out if I need to get it beforehand. Thanks!

They're going to give you a booklet with maps, workshops, etc. when you register. You'll be fine. The online stuff was just to give you a head start. Have fun! :)

You will receive a workshop schedule and map of the vendor hall. You will not receive the workshop descriptions, a map of the building, or a map of the surrounding area. Some of the workshops are held in the area hotels, so you should familiarize yourself with where those are located. I can't tell you how many lost people I helped last year. This is my one pet peeve with this convention - they tell you a workshop location, but don't give you any maps to find that location, and some are held in a building several blocks away!

You will receive a workshop schedule and map of the vendor hall. You will not receive the workshop descriptions, a map of the building, or a map of the surrounding area. Some of the workshops are held in the area hotels, so you should familiarize yourself with where those are located. I can't tell you how many lost people I helped last year. This is my one pet peeve with this convention - they tell you a workshop location, but don't give you any maps to find that location, and some are held in a building several blocks away!

There are maps of the area at a welcome-type stand on the first floor of the convention center. I think it was sort of near the main entrance at the corner of 5th & Elm. It's right under a set of escalators--the ones that go up half a floor at a time.

At 3:30 I went to "The When and Why of Greek & Latin" by Amy Barr. At 5:00 I went to "How to Get the Education You Never Had: A crash course on classical education" by Martin Cothran. We (dh and I) went to hear Governor Huckabee, and then went out to eat (saw Chris in PA). I was planning to go to Christopher Perrin's "Putting Together the Puzzle Pieces of Classical Education" at 8 pm, but skipped it because this was probably the only time that dh and I will get to eat together during the convention. Every time he has a break I have a session I want to go to, and vice versa.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to The Lukeion Project: The Classical World Brought to Life and then The Human Calculator.

At 3:30 I went to "The When and Why of Greek & Latin" by Amy Barr. At 5:00 I went to "How to Get the Education You Never Had: A crash course on classical education" by Martin Cothran. We (dh and I) went to hear Governor Huckabee, and then went out to eat (saw Chris in PA). I was planning to go to Christopher Perrin's "Putting Together the Puzzle Pieces of Classical Education" at 8 pm, but skipped it because this was probably the only time that dh and I will get to eat together during the convention. Every time he has a break I have a session I want to go to, and vice versa.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to The Lukeion Project: The Classical World Brought to Life and then The Human Calculator.

What did you think of these sessions?

What did you think of these sessions?

They were both great, but I especially liked Amy Barr's. She talked about which Latin and which Greek to learn (Golden Latin and Classic? Greek--oops, I don't have it specified in my notes which one. I used my laptop, as I can get so much more notes than by hand, but I still missed this).

She talked about keeping Latin/Greek fun and games for younger ages (she talked about the Trivium and the different stages of it) and getting more serious about it as they get older. She said that [high school] students with a background in Latin usually have about a 2 month lead on the ones without Latin, but after 2 months they're even.

I liked that she talked about each stage of the Trivium specifically (Grammar, Logic & Rhetoric), what to do during those stages, and the pitfalls of each stage. The problems with pushing a child to learn Latin & Greek too soon (but let them surge ahead if they are the ones who feel driven to learn).

Martin Cothran was funny. :001_smile:I haven't heard him speak before. He was bemoaning the fact that he is (or will be?) 53 this year and doesn't have much time left (paraphrase: "Do you have some terrible disease" people say. "No. I just don't have enough time to read all the great books I want to read!" [in response to fluff books that people offer to loan to him]). He talked about great vs. good books. About how cultures influence education (and the decline of today's education system).

Yikes. We were at the MCT Poetics speech when the alarms blared. It didn't sound like a fire alarm because they told us to remain in our areas. The rest I couldn't really understand but it was freaky. I had my two oldest kids with me, so I left to get home to my LO. Was anyone else there? It was a wonderful speech. I wish I had a recording of it.

I was there. It was the fire alarm and my ds was on the 21st floor!:eek: (This was at the Hyatt) Turns out a maintenance worker's screwdriver overheated, so it wasn't actually a fire. Two firetrucks did come and check everything out.

Poor MCT. What a way to end his lovely talk. I did thank him for his session while we rode the escalator to the lobby.

Edited by Mom2boys

I also went to Homeschooling the Second Time and it was fantastic! Andrew Pudewa's speech on Mastery Learning was also wonderful. I was pleased all around. I have a lot to think about now. It was also great just seeing so many other homeschoolers! I've been so isolated for so many years, it's almost unbelievable how many of us there are! I was also impressed with how nice and gracious everyone was.

Homeschooling the Second Time was beyond fantastic. What makes SWB so unique among homeschooling experts is her approachability and the fact that, beyond her amazing talent and wisdom, she is just another homeschooling mom trying to do what is best for her family. What struck me most in this session is that her church and family experiences parallel my own so closely. I just wanted to go have coffee and commiserate with her! The fact that she was still willing to go into the homeschool convention environment year after year for so long is commendable. That isn't exactly a walk in the park...especially after the kerfluffle. She's just awesome and such a blessing to us. :001_wub:

Edited by tjlufkin

Homeschooling the Second Time was beyond fantastic. What makes SWB so unique among homeschooling experts is her approachability and the fact that, beyond her amazing talent and wisdom, she is just another homeschooling mom trying to do what is best for her family. What struck me most in this session is that her church and family experiences parallel my own so closely. I just wanted to go have coffee and commiserate with her! The fact that she was still willing to go into the homeschool convention environment year after year for so long is commendable. That isn't exactly a walk in the park...especially after the kerfluffle. She's just awesome and such a blessing to us. :wub:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Loved this so much I spent 30 minutes telling my daughter all about it on the way home using my outline.

Two thumbs up for Homeschooling the Second Time by SWB. My favorite overall.

I loved this one too!

Sorry I missed dessert last night. I was wiped out and just couldn't bring myself to walk another block down the street. I went to my hotel after the vendor hall closed, got a daquiri and went up to my room to veg.

I wandered around the vendor hall a couple of hours yesterday AND today and ended up not finding 2 vendors that I really wanted to see. I'm either seriously map challenged or they moved. I came home richer in spirit and energy, and poorer in finance ;)

Loved this so much I spent 30 minutes telling my daughter all about it on the way home using my outline.

♥ Michelle

I know. I think DH knows more about SWB's family than he does his own at this point ;)

If you went to Mike Huckabee's talk Thursday night and did not get the dvd's he was offering--you didn't miss anything! They're awful. I'm pitching them. Or offer free for shipping. :lol: (in the words of Mr. T: "I pity the fool [who takes me up on the offer].")

:lol::lol::lol: I know, my dd watched the samples and was AGHAST at them!! I'm sure they'll fit someone, but they sure weren't flying in our house. What a hoot.

If you went to Mike Huckabee's talk Thursday night and did not get the dvd's he was offering--you didn't miss anything! They're awful. I'm pitching them. Or offer free for shipping. :lol: (in the words of Mr. T: "I pity the fool [who takes me up on the offer].")

And weren't they trying to get people to sign up to receive the monthly in the mail? I heard that and told the lady I'd think about it. I didn't tell her after looking at the samples playing over her shoulder, I had already thought about it and had already made up my mind.

And weren't they trying to get people to sign up to receive the monthly in the mail? I heard that and told the lady I'd think about it. I didn't tell her after looking at the samples playing over her shoulder, I had already thought about it and had already made up my mind.

It was a DVD susbcription club--you sign up to get one every so often, and if you want it, you keep & pay for it. They tell you in advance what the next one is, so if you don't want it, you let them know (but it doesn't cancel the subscription, you continue to receive DVDs unless you cancel the whole thing). I was ok with that, figured I'd at least get the free ones and maybe cancel before receiving any I'd have to pay for (and even consider buying some here and there if we really liked them). What I didn't expect was junk (I didn't look at them playing at their booth).

Edited by gardening momma

I am back!

Overall, I went to 4 workshops. Two of them I liked and two I didn't.

I loved SWB's Homeschooling the Real Child. I am just getting ready to start homeschooling my DD, so there were alot of tips that I will be able to try if/when we run into problems. I also thoroughly enjoyed Denise Eide's The Logic of English. I bought her book and am seriously considering using the curriculum as well. Very interesting!

I went to Diana Waring's Exposing the Wizard of Oz, and I don't know if it was because it was early in the morning or what, but for most of it I was pretty bored. There were a few tidbits I got from it, but not much. I made sure to go to the MCT Poetics talk because everyone said it was so good. I left half way through because I was bored to tears. I did not enjoy it at all.

Sorry I didn't go to the dessert night. WAAAAAY too tired.

Thanks for those few of you who know me on sight, brought me chocolate, bourbon chocolate cupcakes, or said hello! Sorry if I wasn't there when you stopped by. I only got to say hi to MCT once! Even though I was at the convention almost the whole time (with the exception of when I was teaching classes over at a UC campus) I feel like I missed it! :confused:

We need a skype chat... but I don't know how to do those.

Homeschooling the Second Time was beyond fantastic. What makes SWB so unique among homeschooling experts is her approachability and the fact that, beyond her amazing talent and wisdom, she is just another homeschooling mom trying to do what is best for her family.

:iagree: I went to several of her workshops and this was by far the best! I laughed and cried with her. She is amazing and an inspiration to me.

I also want to say how awesome it was to meet so many of you Friday night! I came away from my time in Cincinnati refreshed and refocused. I heard so many things that I needed to hear from the speakers as well as the wonderful ladies on this board. Thanks Elizabeth for organizing Friday night! It was definately worth the 9 hour drive from PA!

Wish I could have made it to the get-together.

It was just me and my dd12, and we had a great time. I loved being able to send her off to different sessions. I felt like I was finally able to clone myself. She took great notes and learned a lot from some of the sessions.

What was were everyone's favorites?

I've seen all of SWB's, so we didn't go to any of those.

Ok, here was my take randomly (I don't remember the titles on all of them):

I enjoyed Lukeion's college research talk, the Logic of English, Matthew Stephen's Grading Middle School writing, and Dr. Gallagher's gifted child session. Martin Cothrane's Great Books was decent. Nothing really new, however. And the Keeping Science fun was sort of fun, but I wish I had gone to a different session, which escapes me now. Maybe one of Pudewa's.

Didn't really care for Angela Beddington's HS'ing the Gifted Child. I felt like she spent too much time talking about her dd. DD said Poston's Chemistry was a bit off. She really enjoyed all of Zaccaro's math sessions despite not winning any Einstein's (she was frustrated when he gave them out randomly). She also liked Dr. Reynold's session on the homeschooler and professor relationship. She thought MCT's vocab class was good and enjoyed his sense of humor. And she ended up leaving the ACT class because it was too crowded.

Love to hear the other hits and misses.

Laura

I was there all three days with our ds 10. We didn't get out of the John Branyan show until 10:15 Friday night and we were both so tired that going out for desert was impossible. I wanted to meet up so badly. Those three days flew by.

I was inspired, refreshed, renewed, uplifted and blessed beyond belief by the workshops. I got to meet Angela in OH and LadyDusk which was very nice for me. I looked for OhElizabeth but didn't see you in your hat. I wish I could have chatted with you and your daughter.

I was there all three days with our ds 10. We didn't get out of the John Branyan show until 10:15 Friday night and we were both so tired that going out for desert was impossible. I wanted to meet up so badly. Those three days flew by.

I left the John Branyan show early--at 9:40, I think. First, they had the comedian ventriloquist, who was ok, but went on and on for 45 minutes. Then Branyan finally started, and I didn't think he was that great. He certainly didn't get the rolling, can't-stop-laughing-fall-out-of-my-chair-and-I-might-throw-up-I'm-laughing-so-hard, laughter that Tim Hawkins got. So I was bored and went to the meetup.

We got back today. We really liked Shelagh Gallagher with RFWP. The gifted and 2e sessions were very helpful. I saw SWB's 2nd time lecture a year or 2 ago and dragged my dh/kids to it again Saturday. She is fantastic! We enjoyed David Hazell and I was glad to hear Marcia Somerville's backstory to TOG.

I was sorry to miss meeting you all. The timing just didn't work with us staying 30min away.

I did some serious damage at the prufrock and rfwp booths but am especially excited about the william&mary gifted materials. -I got 2 Jacob's ladder comprehension program books and a couple of science units regarding matter and simple machines. Gifted or not, it looks like it is a springboard to great thinking!!!

It seemed to me that there were fewer attendees this year--and that there were fewer conservatively dressed people? Did anyone else notice that?

I am back!

Overall, I went to 4 workshops. Two of them I liked and two I didn't.

I loved SWB's Homeschooling the Real Child. I am just getting ready to start homeschooling my DD, so there were alot of tips that I will be able to try if/when we run into problems. I also thoroughly enjoyed Denise Eide's The Logic of English. I bought her book and am seriously considering using the curriculum as well. Very interesting!

I went to Diana Waring's Exposing the Wizard of Oz, and I don't know if it was because it was early in the morning or what, but for most of it I was pretty bored. There were a few tidbits I got from it, but not much. I made sure to go to the MCT Poetics talk because everyone said it was so good. I left half way through because I was bored to tears. I did not enjoy it at all.

Sorry you didn't like it. I found it fascinating, and even my 10 yo ADD son was riveted and loved it. To each their own! The only one I didn't totally feel was life changing was the Zaccaro one. BUT we got there a few minutes late because of a major accident on 71 that kept us in traffic, so I feel like it just didn't click without getting the beginning, kwim?