Menu

Cincinnati Convention, anyone?

Oops! I am a dummy.

I'll be helping out at the Exploration Education booth Thursday, parts of Friday and the end of Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

I didn't mean to be working at this thing, it just sort of worked out as I needed some new balsa wood, and they asked if I could do it. LOL.

We use their science through HOD. :001_smile:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, I am new here.

I am going to start homeschooling my soon to be 7th grade daughter in the fall. I live about an hour and a half away from Cincy. Do you think it is worthwhile for me to go to the convention if I can only go for the day on Saturday?

I am still researching curriculum, but I wasn't sure if the convention would be overwhelming for someone new like me, or if trying to do it in one day would even work.

Thanks for any advice :001_smile:

I am going to start homeschooling my soon to be 7th grade daughter in the fall. I live about an hour and a half away from Cincy. Do you think it is worthwhile for me to go to the convention if I can only go for the day on Saturday?

I am still researching curriculum, but I wasn't sure if the convention would be overwhelming for someone new like me, or if trying to do it in one day would even work.

I think that would be perfect, IF you do some research first and don't visit every booth.

Are you sure you can't get in earlier? Do you have to work? Saturday is the shortest day. If you came in for 1/2 of Friday, it would give you a jump start. Looking at the schedules for the other convention down in SC, it looks like they're running the sessions really late Friday (like till 9 or later). You could probably get in several if you came for part of Friday. Just a thought.

Not mct this year?

LOL, technically I didn't help last year... but I couldn't help myself. ;)

John from EE won't be there, he'll be in Alaska, and I have trouble not helping people out when they need it. It's almost pathological. I must have a major martyr complex, lol.

It was serendipitous. I tried to get some other people to help, but my one friend can only do part of it, and i can only do part of it, so it worked out ok.

I'm kind of freaking out about it. :confused: I have no idea why.

I think that would be perfect, IF you do some research first and don't visit every booth.

Are you sure you can't get in earlier? Do you have to work? Saturday is the shortest day. If you came in for 1/2 of Friday, it would give you a jump start. Looking at the schedules for the other convention down in SC, it looks like they're running the sessions really late Friday (like till 9 or later). You could probably get in several if you came for part of Friday. Just a thought.

I would have to pick up DD from school (we haven't started homeschooling yet) so I could come Friday afternoon after I picked her up, but was trying to avoid having to spend the night. I will consider it though.

Thanks for the help from both of you :)

Edited by ~Anna~

I would have to pick up DD from school (we haven't started homeschooling yet) so I could come Friday afternoon after I picked her up, but was trying to avoid having to spend the night. I will consider it though.

Thanks for the help from both of you :)

How does your dd feel about homeschooling? Is she excited or sad? Do you want her input? I would be tempted to take her out of school on Friday and make a two day, one night trip for two out of it. :001_smile: I think it would be a great way to kick off your new advanture.

How does your dd feel about homeschooling? Is she excited or sad? Do you want her input? I would be tempted to take her out of school on Friday and make a two day, one night trip for two out of it. :001_smile: I think it would be a great way to kick off your new advanture.

Exactly. My dd LOVES, LOVES, LOVES going to the convention. Not all vendor halls and conventions allow children. When Cincy started and did it, it made for such a nice dynamic. The vendors love talking with the children and engaging them. It gets the kids excited to meet the authors of their stuff. And it makes such a difference for them to see so many other people doing the same thing. Makes them feel more normal. :D

The convention is so amazing, you're going to kick yourself when you get there and know we were right. It's worth the effort to come earlier. In fact, if you're only gonna do one day, I would do Friday, not Saturday.

That makes alot of sense. Thanks to you both!

I originally considered picking her up from school (or possibly taking her out a little early) and driving down Friday and spend the night. Then I had kind of scrapped that plan because I didn't think DD would want to go (and she actually said she thought it might be boring). BUT..........she is excited about homeschooling, so from the way you described it, she may have fun. I'll see what she thinks.

Thanks again, I appreciate the insight.

Oh yeah, she's gonna love it! And milk it up, kwim? You'll pick some sessions that interest her. Hook her up with some girls from the boards here. She's 11? She might like to hang out with my dd. Once the schedule comes out, you can pick your sessions and plan to meet up with people. It will give you a break too just to look at stuff. What we do can be boring, but there's LOTS there that interests them. I assume Jim Weiss is going to be there again. My dd enjoyed Tom Clark's talks. As long as you have a friend in that session, someone from the boards you know who will be there, you can leave her with them and go to the session that interests you. People have done that for me a lot.

I also try to make the convention really, really special. Buy her something special to take that she can do while she's sitting through boring sessions. Maybe you have an ipod touch or mp3 player or something that you could load apps or audio books onto? Or maybe there's something else she'd really like? We make it an event and special like that.

Oh, and make sure you both wear good shoes! It's a LOT of walking!!!

BTW, if no one has told you this, you really want a rolling cart or some plan for carrying your stuff. I bought mine at a convention the first time I went, years and years ago. Usually there's someone selling them. You might be able to find one ahead at the office supply store. Some people take rolling suitcases. It's just good to have a plan.

Oh yeah, she's gonna love it! And milk it up, kwim? You'll pick some sessions that interest her. Hook her up with some girls from the boards here. She's 11? She might like to hang out with my dd. Once the schedule comes out, you can pick your sessions and plan to meet up with people. It will give you a break too just to look at stuff. What we do can be boring, but there's LOTS there that interests them. I assume Jim Weiss is going to be there again. My dd enjoyed Tom Clark's talks. As long as you have a friend in that session, someone from the boards you know who will be there, you can leave her with them and go to the session that interests you. People have done that for me a lot.

I also try to make the convention really, really special. Buy her something special to take that she can do while she's sitting through boring sessions. Maybe you have an ipod touch or mp3 player or something that you could load apps or audio books onto? Or maybe there's something else she'd really like? We make it an event and special like that.

BTW, if no one has told you this, you really want a rolling cart or some plan for carrying your stuff. I bought mine at a convention the first time I went, years and years ago. Usually there's someone selling them. You might be able to find one ahead at the office supply store. Some people take rolling suitcases. It's just good to have a plan.

I am taking 3 of my daughters this year. My 17, 14 & 11 year old daughters. The first couple of years I only took oldest dd. Then I added my next one and my 11 year old is beaming with excitement that she gets to go this year. Miller Pads and Paper is always a big draw for the kids as well. :lol:

Thank you so much, I so appreciate that you are willing to take the time to help me. I think we have decided to go on Friday. My mom will go with us too, so I will have her to help me watch my DD. DD is still not sure that she won't be bored, so I told her that we would try it Friday and see what she thinks, and then if she didn't like it she can just hang with grandma for the day on Saturday while I go. But I have a feeling she might like it!

Thanks for the tip on the rolling cart, I actually have a small one but not sure if it's the right size. It should work though. From what you have described, I think I am in for a big surprise with this! I haven't ever been to anything like this, so I definitely don't know what to expect. And I just recently decided to start homeschooling, so I am still trying to figure everything out.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Thank you so much, I so appreciate that you are willing to take the time to help me. I think we have decided to go on Friday. My mom will go with us too, so I will have her to help me watch my DD. DD is still not sure that she won't be bored, so I told her that we would try it Friday and see what she thinks, and then if she didn't like it she can just hang with grandma for the day on Saturday while I go. But I have a feeling she might like it!

Thanks for the tip on the rolling cart, I actually have a small one but not sure if it's the right size. It should work though. From what you have described, I think I am in for a big surprise with this! I haven't ever been to anything like this, so I definitely don't know what to expect. And I just recently decided to start homeschooling, so I am still trying to figure everything out.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

I think that's a fabulous plan!! The Newport Aquarium is very nice, though a little young. The Underground Railroad Museum/Freedom Center is amazing. (I don't even like history and I found it moving.) The Creation Museum is about a 20 minute drive and would be fun for them to do. The zoo is supposed to be good, and the science museum is AWESOME.

I think that's a fabulous plan!! The Newport Aquarium is very nice, though a little young. The Underground Railroad Museum/Freedom Center is amazing. (I don't even like history and I found it moving.) The Creation Museum is about a 20 minute drive and would be fun for them to do. The zoo is supposed to be good, and the science museum is AWESOME.

The Zoo is REALLY, REALLY good. Especially in the spring, when all the bulbs are up. Also, if you have a bug kid, they have a great insect house.

A small one would be perfect. My big one is hard to get through crowds (and there will be crowds) without bumping into people.

this was just pointed out to me and I thought I'd let you know that I will be in Cincinnati with Buck. At the least I'll be manning a table. I might do some co-presentations with Buck too. He's a better practical teacher than I am though, so I don't want to get in his way.

See you there!

Andrew Kern isn't coming to Cincinnati again, more Buck Holler :confused::glare:

Christopher Perrin and Martin Cothran are two of my favorite of the Classical speakers.

And, I sat in one of Sonya Shafer's lectures last year, if you're at all interested in CM, she was pretty good.

Thanks for the tip on the rolling cart, I actually have a small one but not sure if it's the right size. It should work though. From what you have described, I think I am in for a big surprise with this! I haven't ever been to anything like this, so I definitely don't know what to expect.

Just to give you a little idea of what you are in for, here is a link to the vendor hall diagram. http://www.cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2012-midwest-homeschool-april-2012-DECC-hall.pdf

this was just pointed out to me and I thought I'd let you know that I will be in Cincinnati with Buck. At the least I'll be manning a table. I might do some co-presentations with Buck too. He's a better practical teacher than I am though, so I don't want to get in his way.

See you there!

So it sounds like if we listen to your podcasts and other audios that we have then go to Buck's sessions we should be all set! :D

A small one would be perfect. My big one is hard to get through crowds (and there will be crowds) without bumping into people.

Yep. I have gotten to where I hate keeping up with my cart. Last couple times I've gone with a backpack and left my cart in the room just in case. Love my backpack!! No more sore shoulders from carrying purse, bags, etc. and I can move much faster without the cart. (I get a little ADHD at conventions, LOL).

I registered today and got my hotel room.

Any tips for what I should do now? I tried to look at the list of workshops but I was lost as to what I should go to.

I'm going to wait until the schedule comes out. Then I'll go through it and cross off anything I know I don't want to go to and mark the ones that look interesting. Then I'll look those up on the workshop description list.

NOW WHEN IS THAT SCHEDULE COMING OUT???? :willy_nilly:

I don't know, but if it doesn't happen soon I won't be able to attend. My husband makes his work schedule, so he has quite a bit of flexibility. Unfortunately it has to be in a month ahead of time. I'm pretty excited to go, but I might have to skip it if I don't have a schedule to look at soon...as in last week.

I don't know, but if it doesn't happen soon I won't be able to attend. My husband makes his work schedule, so he has quite a bit of flexibility. Unfortunately it has to be in a month ahead of time. I'm pretty excited to go, but I might have to skip it if I don't have a schedule to look at soon...as in last week.

There are usually 10-15 choices for each hour. Can you pick a day (or days) to go and then choose from what's offered on those days? Have you been to so many conventions that there won't be anything new for you?

There are usually 10-15 choices for each hour. Can you pick a day (or days) to go and then choose from what's offered on those days? Have you been to so many conventions that there won't be anything new for you?

Haha, it will be my first convention. I'm at a point where a large amount of the material just doesn't apply or appeal to my family's situation, so a lot of topics would be informative but not useful for me right now. I have quite a few things picked out that look helpful and interesting, and I'd really like to be able to be there for them.

If the schedule isn't up by the end of this week, I'm either going to guess on a day or skip it.

Haha, it will be my first convention. I'm at a point where a large amount of the material just doesn't apply or appeal to my family's situation, so a lot of topics would be informative but not useful for me right now. I have quite a few things picked out that look helpful and interesting, and I'd really like to be able to be there for them.

If the schedule isn't up by the end of this week, I'm either going to guess on a day or skip it.

Just so you know, you could easily spend a full day in the vendor hall. It's QUITE large. Like they used to only take out one of the convention hall big huge rooms, and now they take out the WHOLE BUILDING. You're gonna walk and walk and walk just to do the vendor hall. Are you really coming from PA? If you are, I'd plan on all 3 days. Why bring the dh? Come with a girlfriend and ditch the men! :D

Just so you know, you could easily spend a full day in the vendor hall. It's QUITE large. Like they used to only take out one of the convention hall big huge rooms, and now they take out the WHOLE BUILDING. You're gonna walk and walk and walk just to do the vendor hall. Are you really coming from PA? If you are, I'd plan on all 3 days. Why bring the dh? Come with a girlfriend and ditch the men! :D

I was thinking her dh might have to stay home with the kids, and that's why he needs to know what day(s) to take off. But I agree, come for all three days if you possibly can.

I was thinking her dh might have to stay home with the kids, and that's why he needs to know what day(s) to take off. But I agree, come for all three days if you possibly can.

We are actually in the process of moving to Ohio. We should be closing on a house and joining him about 2 weeks from now. I'd prefer to do all three days, but my husband only has one day off that week because other people are on vacation. Or maybe they wanted the time off for the convention? :lol:

We are actually in the process of moving to Ohio. We should be closing on a house and joining him about 2 weeks from now. I'd prefer to do all three days, but my husband only has one day off that week because other people are on vacation. Or maybe they wanted the time off for the convention? :lol:

I'm sure that's where they're going. ;)

May I ask what part of OH you're moving to?

I'm going to wait until the schedule comes out. Then I'll go through it and cross off anything I know I don't want to go to and mark the ones that look interesting. Then I'll look those up on the workshop description list.

This is how I do it too. I really wish finishing the Cincy schedule was a higher priority for Great Homeschool Conventions. I miss the days when we were their only convention.

My husband is working north of Cincinnati in the Mason area. We are going to be living way out east of Cincinnati in Sardinia. :001_smile:

I've never heard of Sardinia. Sounds like something from a movie, hehe. Anyways, you're so close, you need to get wild and come all the days! :)

I think we should get the conference to bring these girls next year. Here are their biographies:

http://gothardsisters.weebly.com/about.html

and here is a song:

They also dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTT-CTXVkFs

They were also on Biz Kids!

http://gothardsisters.weebly.com/biz-kids-spot-pbs.html

Edited by Michelle My Bell