Menu

Cincinnati Convention, anyone?

I have a wedding that weekend. :( I couldn't go last year because i had a nursing. I won't be able to go next year because i'll have a nursling. I was so bummed when I dicovered they were the same weekend. Can't miss the wedding- it's close family.

I took my nursling two years. Don't let that stop you. The convention building is huge enough that even if you don't want to be in the nursing room you'll still have plenty of room. What I did was sit either in the back, to the side on the floor, or just outside the room with the door open. That way I could always hear but my little one was content. You'll also find people happy to hold your baby for a while. The facility also has elevators. I'm just saying I'd go and not worry about it. You want privacy, you can find it. I took a blanket, and nobody seemed to mind where I took care of my baby, if I let him crawl during a session, that sort of thing. You could bring along a teen to watch the baby too. I'd much rather go and do it less than ideally than to miss. :)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I know. But I'd have to travel about 5 hours, then juggling a baby while manuvering through crowds. That just doesn't sound like a fun weekend. But de is getting older and I need to start thinking about high school.

I took my MacLaren stroller with a basket underneath. It held my stuff, and he was pretty happy with the toys I attached. The hall is big enough now (hallelujah) that you can take a reasonable stroller. I wouldn't take a huge one, but a nimble one will be fine.

I have a wedding that weekend. :( I couldn't go last year because i had a nursing. I won't be able to go next year because i'll have a nursling. I was so bummed when I dicovered they were the same weekend. Can't miss the wedding- it's close family.

Well how inconsiderate of them not to ask you first before they planned their wedding date! :D

I'm planning on it again this year because I'm looking ahead to higher grades and want to touch and sniff the curriculum. I wish Veritas Press would be there - I'll have to wait until the CHAP (Pennsylvania HS conf) to visit the Veritas open house.

Is CHAP really big? That might be an interesting adventure. Like MichelleMyBelle, I've gone every year. It's a ritual, but something different might be interesting. I'm already registered for Cincy and have my hotel room.

If you want to hear the VP people and don't go to CHAP, you can buy the mp3s from *all* the years of conferences from (name is slipping my mind). They can tell you on the VP yahoo groups, as Angelina talks about it a lot. I have the set, and it's actually really interesting. I've never gotten through all the talks, mercy. I think it cost me about $70, which was rich but less than a trip somewhere. They had people from VP discussing all the subjects, including Marlin Detweiler.

Is CHAP really big? That might be an interesting adventure. Like MichelleMyBelle, I've gone every year. It's a ritual, but something different might be interesting. I'm already registered for Cincy and have my hotel room.

I'm going to look like an insane stalker and say that I LOVE your posts and hope I meet you there!

I just registered and I'm staying with family. I can't wait. This will be my first Convention!

Andrew Kern isn't coming to Cincinnati again, more Buck Holler :confused::glare:

Christopher Perrin and Martin Cothran are two of my favorite of the Classical speakers.

And, I sat in one of Sonya Shafer's lectures last year, if you're at all interested in CM, she was pretty good.

Now see I didn't make it to BH's talks last year. Were they not good? Or were you just disappointed at not getting the man himself?

Now see I didn't make it to BH's talks last year. Were they not good? Or were you just disappointed at not getting the man himself?

His (two that I went to) presentations were less lecture and more teaching through presenting a lesson ... that didn't seem particularly prepared (in one, I don't remember what he was supposed to talk about, he did a poetry analysis to show how one would do a poetry analysis ... but didn't have a copy of the difficult poem for us - not even a slide). That can be done effectively in some fora, but I don't think it can be at this convention. If your topic is teaching wisdom through literature, you need to tell me about teaching wisdom through literature, not just sorta muddle your way through modeling it with a room full of an unprepared audience spread throughout a huge room.

I was really disappointed. Maybe this year will be better, but I was really hoping Kern would be in Cinci this year.

I don't want to put anyone off CiRCE stuff in general (because it is excellent), or even Buck Holler in particular (because I enjoyed speaking to him at the booth). Last year Dr. Perrin was amazing. Hit of the conference, and greatly improved from previous years in fact a little embarrassingly improved!). We can always hope.

Are these conventions worth it if you don't plan to buy curricula? I've pretty much decided on what we're using next year.

Kids or no kids? My youngest is 8, and he and my 11 yo dd would probably be the only ones even wanting to come. Possibly ds2 as it will be right before his 15th birthday. He's more adventurous and a weekend in a city would be a new experience (for all of us!).

What do we think of Todd Wilson?

A resounding YES to your first question - if you like listening to speakers. There are so many good speakers at the convention; I just have to choose some sessions to skip so I can get to the vendor hall. Plus, the vendor hall is so large it's fun just to walk around and see what's there.

Can't speak to your kids question - I've never taken mine!

Todd Wilson spoke at our local convention last year. I loved him - laughed hard and cried! He doesn't talk about academics, but is definitly worth listening to.

Others speakers I've really enjoyed:

*SWB (of course!)

*Andrew Pudewa

*Michael Clay Thompson- even if you don't use any of his curriculum, he is worth listening to, especially the poetics session.

* Jay Wile

* John Stonestreet

* Martin Cothran

* Christopher Perrin - he was a great surprise last year, loved his sessions!

I am hoping to hear Adam Andrews, Andrew Kern, and Cheryl Lowe this year. So many to choose from!

If you want to hear the VP people and don't go to CHAP, you can buy the mp3s from *all* the years of conferences from (name is slipping my mind). They can tell you on the VP yahoo groups, as Angelina talks about it a lot. I have the set, and it's actually really interesting. I've never gotten through all the talks, mercy. I think it cost me about $70, which was rich but less than a trip somewhere. They had people from VP discussing all the subjects, including Marlin Detweiler.

wordmp3.com

You are warned, though.... once you go to this site, you won't be listening to much else for a lonnngggg time. :D

His (two that I went to) presentations were less lecture and more teaching through presenting a lesson ... that didn't seem particularly prepared (in one, I don't remember what he was supposed to talk about, he did a poetry analysis to show how one would do a poetry analysis ... but didn't have a copy of the difficult poem for us - not even a slide). That can be done effectively in some fora, but I don't think it can be at this convention. If your topic is teaching wisdom through literature, you need to tell me about teaching wisdom through literature, not just sorta muddle your way through modeling it with a room full of an unprepared audience spread throughout a huge room.

I was really disappointed. Maybe this year will be better, but I was really hoping Kern would be in Cinci this year.

I don't want to put anyone off CiRCE stuff in general (because it is excellent), or even Buck Holler in particular (because I enjoyed speaking to him at the booth). Last year Dr. Perrin was amazing. Hit of the conference, and greatly improved from previous years in fact a little embarrassingly improved!). We can always hope.

I agree except for the part about the booth (I had an unpleasant expereicne there, too.) The poetry talk was bad. I'll leave it at that. Andrew Kern is an incredible speaker who values and repsects homeschool moms. Don't ever miss a chance to hear him! :D

Edited by angela in ohio

Wow, that's stunning. But you know, when people do junk like that I walk out. I pay way too much to attend the convention to sit through stuff that isn't prepared well.

We've felt called to open our home to 1-2 folks who would like a place to stay during the convention. It would be floor space in our spare bedroom in our 1 bathroom home. But you're more than welcome - I have 6 & 9 yo ds, hubby and a low allergy/shedding 60lb dog. We do live in the suburbs (zip 45252) which is about 20 minute drive to downtown. Don't know if anyone is interested, but wanted to share. PM me if interested.

Very excited to share this with you guys!!!

Somebody on this board very graciously offered me to share her room with her. Due to the logistics of the situation where I wanted to take my boys with me we felt that wouldn't work. Somehow my mom found out I wasn't going due to funds. She offered to pay for the hotel and gas. YAY!! We are going. My daughter will stay with my mom and dh. The boys and I are going. I am so thankful for my parents!! I never ever asked her or dad for money or help. I do think the boys have something to do with it. Or my mom knows it is coming so probably asked during conversation with them....

Let me know if we are going to identify ourselves or not. Probably won't do the board meet up since I will have my boys with me.

Holly

I'll be there. I've attended every single year, but have yet to come to a board meet-up. Maybe this year I'll finally meet you all. :D

For those who have expressed concerns about safety - I have always felt safe downtown, near the convention center and the hotels. I have walked to area restaurants later in the evening, and have always found the area to be well-lit and full of people. I have never had a problem in the convention center parking garage either. I wouldn't let safety concerns keep you away.

I'll be There! I'm staying downtown this year :D :D :D DH thinks I'm crazy. It's pretty much the high light of my year.

Mine too! It's my sanity break. I think I made my hotel reservation last July. :D

I've always stayed at the Millennium, but this year will be at the Hyatt. Is anyone else staying there?

Is anyone else checking the website every day to see if they have the schedule up yet? :toetap05: When do they normally post it?

Hopefully it will be out a month before the convention - so around mid-March. If I remember right, last year it took them longer though.

I am staying at the Hilton. Never stayed at the Hyatt there. I heard good things about it. Hilton has huge rooms. :) Plenty of elevators!!

Holly

I have to stay at the Hyatt because I have a gift certificate to pay for part of my stay. But it is funny to hear you say that the rooms at the Hilton are huge. I used to work at that property back when it was an Omni, and our biggest complaint was the tiny rooms! Hilton must have renovated it.

Yeah, the rooms at the hilton are INSANELY huge. Maybe they have different sizes on different floors? Where they put us, we had the luggage for 4 people and still had room for coolers and doing cartwheels. It was just unbelievable. And the fact that they're right across from Graeters clinches the deal. ;)

I am staying at the Hilton. Never stayed at the Hyatt there. I heard good things about it. Hilton has huge rooms. :) Plenty of elevators!!

Holly

I have to stay at the Hyatt because I have a gift certificate to pay for part of my stay. But it is funny to hear you say that the rooms at the Hilton are huge. I used to work at that property back when it was an Omni, and our biggest complaint was the tiny rooms! Hilton must have renovated it.

Yeah, the rooms at the hilton are INSANELY huge. Maybe they have different sizes on different floors? Where they put us, we had the luggage for 4 people and still had room for coolers and doing cartwheels. It was just unbelievable. And the fact that they're right across from Graeters clinches the deal. ;)

Which one of those--Hilton or Hyatt--is closer to the convention center? Last year I meant to reserve a room at the one closer but got them mixed up and we ended up at the one farther away. Two years ago we stayed in the north tower of the Millennium and thought the room was really tiny; that's why we tried the other hotel last year. We didn't find the room any bigger, so this year we are trying the south tower at the Millennium. We like that the Millennium is closer and that we can stay completely indoors (enclosed Skywalk) if the weather's bad.

Which one of those--Hilton or Hyatt--is closer to the convention center? Last year I meant to reserve a room at the one closer but got them mixed up and we ended up at the one farther away. Two years ago we stayed in the north tower of the Millennium and thought the room was really tiny; that's why we tried the other hotel last year. We didn't find the room any bigger, so this year we are trying the south tower at the Millennium. We like that the Millennium is closer and that we can stay completely indoors (enclosed Skywalk) if the weather's bad.

The Hyatt is closer. It is directly across the street from the Millennium. I wish the Hyatt had an enclosed Skywalk too. I will miss that feature.

Last year, a friend and I stayed at the Millennium but this year, I think it'll just be me and the kids, and I'm trying to figure out my best hotel options. Did anyone stay on the KY side and drive in to the center (or from anywhere else, for that matter)? What was parking like if you weren't staying nearby?

We still stay in Sharonville (near where the conference used to be,) and we drive in each day. Parking is no problem at all, but we always get there for the first talk. I don't know if it fills up later in the day. We use the $5 parking coupon and park just across the street, taking the walkway over to the convention center. We watch the news while we eat breakfast at the hotel, and we see if there are any traffic issues. One time so far there was a back-up, and we had to go around another way.

We still stay in Sharonville (near where the conference used to be,) and we drive in each day. Parking is no problem at all, but we always get there for the first talk. I don't know if it fills up later in the day. We use the $5 parking coupon and park just across the street, taking the walkway over to the convention center. We watch the news while we eat breakfast at the hotel, and we see if there are any traffic issues. One time so far there was a back-up, and we had to go around another way.

$5 is certainly much cheaper than paying the valet fee at the nearby hotels. Good to know!

Shannon

$5 is certainly much cheaper than paying the valet fee at the nearby hotels. Good to know!

Shannon

Although we stay at the nearby hotels, we don't use valet parking. Dh pulls into the hotel drop-off/valet area and we unload the luggage and bring it just inside the door. I stay with it while he parks (we use the $5 pass). Then he walks over to the hotel and we go check in.

Although we stay at the nearby hotels, we don't use valet parking. Dh pulls into the hotel drop-off/valet area and we unload the luggage and bring it just inside the door. I stay with it while he parks (we use the $5 pass). Then he walks over to the hotel and we go check in.

So, when you do this, are you parking at the convention center or the hotel? I don't recall seeing any passes or anything for the hotel where we stayed last year.

So, when you do this, are you parking at the convention center or the hotel? I don't recall seeing any passes or anything for the hotel where we stayed last year.

We park in one of the city parking garages (I think we use the one kitty-corner to the Millenium) that you can use the $5 parking voucher for. That valet area isn't just for valet parking; you pull in and drop off/pick up someone too. We just try not to stop right in front of the valet desk.

Edited by gardening momma

are you staying in the hotel with a waterpark????? That place is fabulous!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I really really did not plan on going to this convention this year because last year cost me so much but I decided just now to go! I found a great deal on a hotel room at La Quinta in Sharonville (stayed there before and loved it!) for $74.00. I splurged and reserved the room. I am going to see about borrowing a more fuel efficient car and packing most of my food to keep costs down. I am just going to go down early Friday morning and come home Saturday. I really tried to stay away!!!

OK, so I really really did not plan on going to this convention this year because last year cost me so much but I decided just now to go! I found a great deal on a hotel room at La Quinta in Sharonville (stayed there before and loved it!) for $74.00. I splurged and reserved the room. I am going to see about borrowing a more fuel efficient car and packing most of my food to keep costs down. I am just going to go down early Friday morning and come home Saturday. I really tried to stay away!!!

That's our place to stay, too! I stayed there during the very first conference and still do every year. It really doesn't take very long to drive into the city. I've noticed in recent years that there are a lot of convention goers staying there.

I paid the registration, but I am still undecided if I will actually go since the schedule is still not out. I am waiting for it before I book my plane ticket.

If I don't go to the convention, then is it possible to buy downloads of the lectures I would have wanted to see?

I paid the registration, but I am still undecided if I will actually go since the schedule is still not out. I am waiting for it before I book my plane ticket.

If I don't go to the convention, then is it possible to buy downloads of the lectures I would have wanted to see?

There are recordings, but I've never bought any to know how it works. Like I don't know if you have to be there to order them or if you can order online.

Are there other things in Cincy you'd like to do that would balance it out? Would you be bringing your kids or just yourself? There's the Creation Science museum and lots of nice things to do. If you came for several days and didn't want to do the convention for all of them (unlikely, hehe), you'd find plenty to do.

I too wish they'd hurry up with at least a tentative schedule. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to go for all the days this year or trim it down.

There are recordings, but I've never bought any to know how it works. Like I don't know if you have to be there to order them or if you can order online.

Are there other things in Cincy you'd like to do that would balance it out? Would you be bringing your kids or just yourself? There's the Creation Science museum and lots of nice things to do. If you came for several days and didn't want to do the convention for all of them (unlikely, hehe), you'd find plenty to do.

I too wish they'd hurry up with at least a tentative schedule. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to go for all the days this year or trim it down.

You have to order recordings there, but perhaps you can ask someone to get them for you? Last year you could get mp3 recordings of all the big ones for $99 or pay something like $6 for each CDC individual session. They mailed the $99 one a few weeks later.

Oops! I am a dummy.

I'll be helping out at the Exploration Education booth Thursday, parts of Friday and the end of Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

I didn't mean to be working at this thing, it just sort of worked out as I needed some new balsa wood, and they asked if I could do it. LOL.

Edited by radiobrain

Oops! I am a dummy.

I'll be helping out at the Exploration Education booth Thursday, parts of Friday and the end of Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

I didn't mean to be working at this thing, it just sort of worked out as I needed some new balsa wood, and they asked if I could do it. LOL.

Not mct this year?