Menu

Is your curriculum mostly what WTM recommends?

Chibby

I am researching how to classically educate my child (she is only 2 now) and I am overwhelmed with the choices of resources.

From the descriptions of the resources in The Well-Trained Mind, I really like what they recommend.

I have two questions:

1) How many of you use mostly what they recommend in the book?

2) How did you decide on which material to buy if you can't look at it first? (I'm thinking here of HOD kinds of material that you can't get at your library.)

Thanks!

1) I don't. I've tried some of their suggestions and they didn't work for us. The things we use now work for my house. They might not work for others.

2) I read as many reviews as possible, not just from the company's website or catalogue, but also here, Cathy Duffy's site, and Homeschool Reviews. Some things you can't know whether they will work until you try it for yourself. FYI, there's a lot of trial and error at the beginning. It can be expensive. After awhile, you learn the way your child learns best and how you are most comfortable teaching, and get better at predicting which materials will work with that combo.

I am researching how to classically educate my child (she is only 2 now) and I am overwhelmed with the choices of resources.

From the descriptions of the resources in The Well-Trained Mind, I really like what they recommend.

I have two questions:

2) How did you decide on which material to buy if you can't look at it first? (I'm thinking here of HOD kinds of material that you can't get at your library.)

Thanks!

1) We don't use alot of what they recommend as far as I know but I use some of the methods. I am still in the process of learning about the methods though. I am going to download the writing lectures this week and start listening to them when I am at the gym.

2) LOTS and LOTS of research. Looking at reviews. Finding spinets of samples where I can. Reading the 'about us' on the website to the curriculum over and over again. For me, alot of prayer goes into what we use also!

Also I have to add- I wasted a lot of money at first (and even now at times). Even through all the research and everything else you will still end up with duds. No matter how good it sounds in theory, not everything will work for your particular lifestyle. Somethings will even start out just what you need then end up moving in a direction you do not want to go. I recommend buying used as much as possible until you know that you know that you are going to use something. Also, there have been some things I have been thinking about and found for a very good deal used that I bought just to see. If I didn't like it I always was able to resell it.

You might take the WTM suggestions (which is just what they are - suggestions) as a starting point and then research, research, research - you have plenty of time. But, I would avoid buying anything until your child is close to school age, when you have a better idea of what your specific goals are per grade, where your child is at with respect to those, and what sort of personality and learning style are involved. I would expect to learn lessons about curricula and teaching during the first year(s) homeschooling, and all the years after that :). If you buy too early, you may end up with a vast collection of resources that you'll never use.

I would not feel the least bit limited to the suggestions contained in the WTM, as that is not their intention. Providing a classical education would involve critical thinking on your part ;).

I have used some of the recommendations in TWTM. As a general rule, I don't use Protestant materials, so a lot of the recommendations are no-gos because of that. Things I have used:

-First Language Lessons 1/2. I did a condensed version with my oldest and it worked well for her. My DS, on the other hand, is not an auditory learner and struggled with retention of the FLL lessons, so I ended up shelving it.

-Writing with Ease. I like this and have the follow-up Writing with Style on order for my oldest.

-Story of the World. My oldest did not care for this as a spine (she preferred the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, go figure!) but I did find the Activity Guide to be helpful. I'm planning to give it a shot with DS when we get back to ancients (right now we're doing U.S. history and next year we're doing world geography).

-Spelling Power. This worked well for my oldest but I don't think it has enough explicit teaching of the rules for my 2nd. He is doing All About Spelling.

-Right Start Mathematics and Singapore Primary Mathematics. I like the former for the primary grades and the latter after that.

Some of my favorite programs that are not specifically listed in TWTM but which I think fit well into a rigorous, WTM inspired approach:

-Michael Clay Thompson's language arts materials

-Don Killgallon's applied grammar/sentence writing books

-Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop books

-Figuratively Speaking

-Mr. Q science

-Ellen McHenry's science

-Catholic Schools Textbook Project history texts

All except the latter are secular or neutral.

No we don't really follow TWTM at all. I checked the book out from the library once and read the elementary section. I thought it was ok but it did not inspire me in any way. We may use some of her suggestions but I don't use them because she suggested them.;)

As far as choosing curriculum I would say it is trial and error and a bunch of online research. I also found it very helpful to figure out which teaching style best fit me and go from there.

My daughter is only a preschooler, but rather asynchronous so I feel it necessary to keep materials a little ahead because I don't know whether she's going to want them next year like I think she will, or next week.

I'm more interested in the methods than the curriculum recommendations, though they are a good place to start.

I've been reading on here for years. I read and read and read and read reviews, then eventually have to bite the bullet and order.

Your eldest is only two, so I might suggest you do as I did and draw up tables with grade level on one side and subjects across the top, then set about filling them in. You'll change your mind a million times before you even get to school age, but the exercise will help you get a good idea on what resources are around and help you work out your own philosophies. They are good things to have even though you'll have to change again as your child grows up and expresses opinions. :rolleyes:

Rosie

I could simply stick up an I agree sign by wapiti's post.

I've read TWTM cover to cover several times. I broke the binding from carrying it around with me and reading it whenever I had a few minutes to read.

1) I use the philosophy set out in the book and follow the history and science cycle. In my own way. When I first set out I bought the recs for the K year (which wasn't much) and for the first grade year. I'm comfortable enough now to look at a book list, decide what titles I want and then go out and get what I happen to be able to find. And I'm also able to branch off and build when I can't find anything that suits me.

2) I don't buy if I can't look at it first. At the very least I would want about 10 reviews on it. Nearly every book that I've bought without at least looking through it or reading synopsis or reviews has turned out not meeting my expectations. Not that I don't find out ways to use them, but they are often not as good as they have been billed to be.

My two are age 8, and I expect I might be a little bit more nervous to step off the beaten path as they approach the higher grades; but then again....:D

We use many of her suggested resources. We use Saxon Math and Activities for the ALAbacus (Right Start) in the summer. We use FLL and WWE right now but we may stop using those in the future if we find they are overkill. We are already using Memoria Press materials (who shape a lot of what they do based on TWTM) and will be adding in Pre-Scripts copybooks from Classical Conversations when they come out so that's probably too much writing and grammar. So even though what we might end up using instead isn't listed in her book, the materials were based on he ideas. For Latin we are about to start Prima Latina after finishing Latin's Not So Tough 2, so that is on her list. We are not using her spelling recommendations b/c I like an Orton-Gillingham or Spalding approach better. We are going to use SOTW and already listen to them in the car. We don't use her Science recommendations b/c I want a specifically young earth/creationist viewpoint. And we would not use Telling God's Story b/c we attend a reformed church and I think the doctrine doesn't line up from what I've read in the samples. But overall we use much of what she wrote or recommends.

stm4him

No. We "afterschool" and TWTM suggestions tend to lean heavily on suggestions that have too much emphasis on reptition and memorization to be a good fit for my child. Singapore math is an exception.

Many (most) TWTM suggestions also have religious content and we only use secular materials.

Some of the best resources for math (including Miquon and MEP) are not in TWTM nor is the great Language Arts program from MCT (Michael Clay Thompson).

Bill

TWTM is what introduced us to homeschooling and to the classical education philosophy. I will be forever in its debt for that! I would say that its philosophy, in general, is our guiding philsophy - with the exception that we only use secular materials, and many of their reccomendations are religious materials.

Before I found this board, I considered TWTM our "bible" and we do use a lot of the materials that SWB has created (FLL, WWE, WWS, SOTW) or that they recommend. But I'm starting to branch out, more, now that I'm able to ask questions, read about different curricula, and see what works for DD. I always check things out at the library, if possible, before buying, and I ask a *lot* of questions here before investing in something new. You can read old threads about specific curricula using the "search" function. I would say that I spend an obscene amount of time researching and planning curricula, and the Hive is an invaluable aid . . .

I have two questions:

My first thought was yes, but really as I think about it, we are more WTM in spirit rather than law ;) We use WTM recs as a guideline, and while we have not always chosen exactly what they use, we have chosen curricula that "I" believe serves the same end. dangerous maybe? :tongue_smilie:

For Language Arts, some yes some no.

Phonics: we used Abeka (which I think is recommended?)

Grammar: FLL (so, yes)

Writing: WWE (yes)

Spelling: AAS (not mentioned, but the spirit is there) ;)

Handwriting: HWOT (yes)

Math: Math Mammoth (not mentioned)

History: SOTW (Yes)

Science: Elemental Science (not mentioned, but basically WTM science spelled out)

So, I would say yes, just not in the purest sense.

Thanks!

I did A LOT of research, lots of samples, lots of searching, reading, and praying. Also, I did get to convention and see stuff, but it was really just confirming what I wanted. Ask a lot of questions here, these boards were immeasureably helpful! :001_smile:

I use FLL, WWe & SOTW and we love all of them. I use the book more as an outline so I'm not sure if most of the curriculum I picked is in there or not. For me it's been a lot of trail and error and is still a work in process. The book has been extremely helpful for me because it helped me develop goals and an overview of what I wanted to accomplish in my daughters's education before she graduates.

Well, I'll be one of the odd ones here and say that I do use the recommendations and have for the past five years. A good share of the times that I've been the most deeply disappointed and/or felt that we failed to succeed were times that I had strayed away from the well researched recommendations in TWTM book. I'm not saying I follow it to the letter, in fact we used TOG for three years and combined it with selections from TWTM. It worked out well! Other than this, I have taken great stock in the recommendations in the book and choose them more often than not.

If you go to hs conferences and hs bookstores in your area, you can spend some time looking at curriculum without being obligated to buy. I sometimes do this, then order the books online when I have the money or when there is a good sale and I can save.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am more interested in following the skill progression than the exact curriculum recommended. For skills, I closely follow the LA recommendations for a strong phonics and spelling foundation, reading, narration, copywork, dictation, outlining, and Latin. I am following the four year history cycle, for now.

I have used a lot of what is recommended for grades 1-4: Writing With Ease, SOTW for 2 years, FLL 1-4, and Singapore Math.

I have veered off for spelling, Latin, some of our history, additional math and LA resources, and all of our science. And I don't give my kids abridged versions of the classics.

It is hard when you can't try out things before you buy. I have wasted some money, mostly on writing, spelling, and science. I don't consider all of it a waste, though, because even studying and trying out a curricula that doesn't work out can at times be very educational for me as a teacher. Hopefully we don't waste so much time that it adversely affects the student.

I don't even consider ourselves Classical Homeschoolers, but I own the WTM and I adore and respect SWB. We use many of her materials because it is the easiest way to make sure you do it right! We use SOTW, WWE and FLL. Almost everything else we use is mentioned in WTM.

However, we don't do a foreign language and we prioritize math and science. As such I don't put a lot of stock in the WTM's science opinions. I'm a scientist and she's not, so that's the one place we deviate. I am training my kids up to be scientists and engineers. Her knowledge of how to teach LA and history is in my opinion unparalleled.

Brownie

Not exactly. I use Memoria Press grade level packs. They are classical and base their philosophy off TWTM and The latin Centered Curriculum book. We have been very pleased with the Kinder but I do not use all of it. We do the phonics, math, and read alouds. Further along, I am not sure we will still stay with it as I am not teaching Latin and for other reasons.

I use many of the suggestions but not necessarily at the times she suggests. So for example I am using WWE2 with my 6th and 7th graders, it is at the right level for what they need (both have special needs). Most of my Language arts (especially with my 2nd grader) and math stuff is based on her recommendations. Many of the titles I use for science and history are recommended in the WTM but again I do not necessarily follow her cycles, so I do the various topics when I get to them, but use the recommended titles with it. The same for most of the other things we study. Any programs I am using that were not in the book have been chosen after learning about them here. I read reviews and blog posts by those using them, look at samples online etc and sometimes I just take a leap of faith and hope it works for us just as well as it does for others (Like I did with MCT, and how I am doing next year with exploration education).

1)We don't use everything they recommend. We have used OPGTR, FLL, WWE, SOTW. Pretty much everything we have bought has been from reading these boards and then researching things people mention. I don't know how much of it is also recommended in TWTM, I haven't double checked and I assume the book is always going to be slightly out of date on what is available and also it can't list every option for every subject.

2) Lots of things are available to look at as trial. I am in the UK so find I can't obtain everything anyway. Things that I can get as pdfs are my favourite. Also just reading other people's experiences of different options helps narrow it down.

:001_smile: You have gotten some good advice! Don't stress too much. I wasted alot of money on books, cd's...etc..and I read the first version of WTM after searching out the different types of home schooling available. At that time, there were not as many books or groups (CC) available. I too felt overwhelmed and would peruse book stores, salvage stores, and search for "Classic books".

One great thing for you and everyone else starting out is that prices on many great books have gone down 50-75%! The Chronicles of Narnia has!

I would suggest looking at your library first: Mine is not good about carrying books I need. I had to pay to interlibrary loan ( only $1) TWTM the first time to see if I wanted to buy it ( since they wouldn't).

I stressed over it, and did not know of anyone who actually attempted this type of education. It did not take long, and I know God put the right people in my path at the right time. I had the pleasure of meeting with other like minded people in a Classical support group for about 6 years, and the couple that started it were classically educated, learned in many languages, and so hospitable! I was so excited that other members had hopes of starting a cottage school as their children graduated and went on to Classical college.

I started searching and found Classical Conversations: to make a long story short; I lost my group and cannot go to the CC due to my large family and cost. I have used many of CC's materials at home and been in one group close by that used some and did science projects every week. Still, it was difficult and I did not have enough help.

I guess we have to live and learn in many instances.

I lost my dad and had severe endometriosis last year, so I think it was in desperation I bought a Sonlight core, and then had to have surgery with many complications and a rough beginning in another pregnancy. So, we read books, and did math, some science, and some writing, but it has been a struggle.

Now I am selling the SONLIGHT core: because I like IEW writing so much, and I can't fathom reading all of the books in it; my kids don't like some of them either! It may work well for other people, but I feel like it is best to get back to TWTM and CC, with IEW, Science Projects, Art, Music....etc. so I can have more time with our 7 children, and do more together.

Anyway, I have perused the 2nd edition, and now am the 3rd one taking notes, looking on Amazon at my top picks: Cleopatra for ancient, National Geographic:The Making of America, A World of Faith, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and Vocabulary from Classical Roots.... I am following Susan's advice to pick out the books we want and the ones I can find at absolutely great deals I buy ahead of time.

I have a big tub for each cycle of history with science books, games, puzzles, flash cards, etc. So even though I am trying to work on Medieval History right now, I am looking through what my kids will need ( 14, 12 yr. old's especially) and seeing what we need to keep and use, give, or sell. As I have waited on some of these they are so much cheaper used.

You will have struggles later to deal with as they arise, so I suggest reading and picking out, making lists of : books to buy or look for so you have time to shop around and just get what you need for the first cycle. It depends on how much time and money you have, but I regret buying ahead many things I have never and will never use! ;) Try to learn from others mistakes as much as possible. And have fun while they are young.:)

We do kinda-sorta.

Reading - I finally found Horizons Phonics worked best with DS (after trying Plaid, HOP, OPG, etc.)

Spelling - AAS - love it! Definitely helps with reading too!

Grammar - we're using GWG this year and will spin over to FLL2 next since I thought FLL1 was going to be too slow and repetitious for DS. I'm enticed by the MCT Island series though.

Writing - we do use WWE and will continue with it.

Math - we do Singapore and it's working well for DS; we'd started with Saxon and that, for him, was the death spiral.

History - SOTW - but I'm changing the inital grammar stage sequence - we're in SOTW 2 this year and will finish up before the end of the year, then we'll do a year of American History and then in 4th do SOTW 3 + 4

Geography - we do our own thing and I supplement from Complete Book of Maps & Geography and Teacher's Filebox (Evan Moor) Online.

Science - we do our own thing for the most part since we did try, but blew through RS4K last year. We don't stick to one discipline each year either, at least not for the grammar stage. We're going to start Singapore MPH 3/4 in about a month to carry us for the rest of the year and then I'll figure out what we'll do next year sometime in the late spring.

Music - we do piano lessons

Art - DS has two different art classes, one more formal, the other more creative in tone and approach.

Latin - I'm torn, not sure if or when we'll do it

Foreign Language - we'll be starting French when we return to our normal schedule (we're on a revised schedule right now due to an illness in the family)

Religion - DS goes to CCD and we do some additional things at home too.

Edited by Tigger

I've never read the book so I don't know what is recommended :tongue_smilie:

I've chosen most of my curricula from this board though so I might have some of her rec's.

I'm not really a classical HS -but I fit here better then anywhere else :D

I've been researching HS since my DD was 2 - and I agree -don't buy anything yet. I've changed my mind a zillion times on what I would like to use. Now that my DD is old enough for K I am still waffling on a couple of things - but I'm pretty sure I've got it figured :D

You never know where your DD will be in a few years time or if she will be reading early or if she will be able to cope with a writing heavy curriculum at 5 etc. It's best to wait and take it year by year.

From the ones I can remember - none of TWTM rec's would work for my DD. So I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy them when I first heard of them. I would have wasted a lot of money.

I have two questions:

Thanks!

I follow the WTM recommendations on language arts pretty closely, except for the copywork/dictation/narration, which I've not done as thoroughly or consistently as I would've liked. I rely on the book lists for reading/literature and history, but we don't necessarily use them in the same order. With a student who's a strong reader, I try to have him do most items on the literature lists through 8th grade.

I've been very pleased with the results of following the suggestions for grammar, too (FLL, R&S for us so far).

I especially appreciate the WTM recommendations for specific versions or retellings of things like Greek myths, Iliad/Odyssey, Beowulf, Shakespeare, Don Quixote, which have many versions and translations to choose from.

HTH!