Menu

Tell me why I should keep my Costco membership

I've just received the renewal notice, at $55 a year. I've belonged to Costco forever (from back when it was Price Club), but I can't see a real reason to continue.

I do not have a huge family (there are four of us). I do not buy food there, as we get local, grass-fed meat and CSA veggies. The rest is bought at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Wine is just as cheap at Trader Joe's. I buy cleaning products at Smart & Final or Target, and toilet paper/paper towels either at Trader Joe's or Target.

So.....I guess I'm thinking it's just time to give up the Costco card and save $55, but it feels weird.

We are pondering the same issue. Our Costco shopping has really taken a dip lately - for the same reasons you stated. We don't buy food there any more, although once in a while we do pick up their organic milk (if they have it, ours is hit or miss on organics). We do their paper products, and if we have a big purchase planned we try to check out their offerings first. But I'm not sure that justifies a membership.

I am thinking that we will go without, and see how it feels. We can always become members again. :)

Will be watching this thread to see if there are compelling reasons to stay members.

I really like the Willamette Valley Vineyards and Cupcake wineries wine that I get at Costco.

I do get some foods there. I love the filled pasta's

We get Dave's Killer bread there as well

But if you don't go, cut ties (remember, you can always change your mind and join again. We belong to Netflix for 3 months at a time when it is quiet and we want to catch up on movies.)

I would say you have your answer, if you don't use your card anymore. We live smack in the middle of a desert. We don't get lots of fruits and veggies or meat that is local and good quality. So, we rely on Costco for good meat, cheese, and produce. I also use their photo developing a lot.

If you don't use it or need it, why keep it.

We have Costco memberships dating back to Price Club as well, but we buy tires for the cars there, all sorts of things even flooring for the basement and kitchen faucets!

But we also buy quite a lot of our groceries there.

Dawn

Does your Costco have a gas station? That alone would probably save the membership fee if we lived a little closer to our Costco. We also seem to have one bigger item every year--a t.v 2 years ago, cameras for the girls this year, a printer once, bunkbeds once, a bookcase once. Swimsuits for the girls, plus a few other clothing items. Checks. Contact lens supplies. Then for us it's where we get most of our meat and cheese in addition to a few other regular food items. But if you don't use it, you don't use it. Maybe you have a friend you could go with once in awhile and pay toward her membership fee--we did that in our just-out-of-college days.

We are only 2 here daily, but we mostly shop at Costco.

Do you get the coupons?

When things go on sale with the coupons, I stock up.

Yesterday was everything from fuel injuector cleaner to mascara to shampoo.

We also have the Costco AMEX card along with the premium membership, so we get double rebates.

I would figure out if I have saved more than $55.00 with my membership over the course of the year, and if not, it would be gone.

But like you said, if you find you miss it, you can get another one.

Even with a family of 6, I was starting to consider canceling ours because there are only 2 in our metro area, neither particularly close to us. I never get there at all, sometimes dh will go for me since he can get there more easily from work. They just announced that they're opening one near us at the end of the year, though, so I think that we'll use it more then.

We haven't had a Costco or Sam's membership in seven or so years. The nearest store is 45 minutes away, so that's part of the picture for us (although many, many people in our town have memberships because we're a smaller town with not a ton of shopping options). I just feel like knowing what the lowest price is on items we use regularly, and not paying more than that, as well as watching all the clearance bins at the grocery stores around town, is just as frugal as shopping at Costco (esp. when adding in the gas money and headache of going there).

Based on what you said, I don't think you should keep it. If you don't even break even on your membership cost, let alone profit, then it isn't worth it. Dh and I re-evaluate our BJ's membership every year at renewal time. So far, it's still benefits us, but if the cost ever ceases to be worth it, we won't renew.

Let it go. Just renew when you decide you want it back. We used to do this every year. We would stock up before it expired, and then we would wait a few months before we renewed.

Costco is my main store and we use the fuel station so it pays for itself many times over, but if we didn't buy fuel there....I would go back to skipping a few months every year.

I just got back from a Costco run. :D I find it really useful for some staples - nuts, butter, salt and pepper, cinnamon, vanilla, flour, eggs (ours always has organic), cheeses... But we're not devoted organic buyers. I think if it's not serving you, then drop it.

My problem is that we do use it, just not enough to make it feel worth it. We probably spent less than $1,000 a year there. Not sure if that makes it worth the $55 or not. :001_unsure:

What you need to look at is how much you save over buying someplace other than Costco. It's not easy because you need to be aware of prices everywhere you'd buy what you buy at Costco. If you save $55 you're breaking even. If you save more, it might be worth it. And the obvious is if you don't save at least $55.

I think I would go to the store and take a run through. Their merchandise changes pretty frequently and you might find that they carry stuff now that they didn't have before. Our Costco is carrying more and more organic.

If nothing catches your eye, then I can't see any reason to keep it "just in case". Like you said, you can always start up again if the need arises.

I would say you have your answer, if you don't use your card anymore. We live smack in the middle of a desert. We don't get lots of fruits and veggies or meat that is local and good quality. So, we rely on Costco for good meat, cheese, and produce. I also use their photo developing a lot.

Photo developing! I forgot about that. I wonder if it's less expensive than Wal-Mart. Think I'll check that out...

We are only 2 here daily, but we mostly shop at Costco.

Do you get the coupons?

When things go on sale with the coupons, I stock up.

Yesterday was everything from fuel injuector cleaner to mascara to shampoo.

We also have the Costco AMEX card along with the premium membership, so we get double rebates.

I would figure out if I have saved more than $55.00 with my membership over the course of the year, and if not, it would be gone.

But like you said, if you find you miss it, you can get another one.

Hmm...I don't know if I get the coupons. Are they email or post office mail? They may be automatically getting dumped in the recycle bin when my ds gets the mail. I'll start looking.

The coupons come in the post. I wait until I get coupons to buy cleaning supplies, TP, and baking supplies like chocolate chips and craisins. When I get a coupon for chocolate chips I buy the max and pop extras in my freezer. OTC zyrtec and vitamins are also much cheaper there and often have coupons. Last time they had $4 off the generic zyrtec my dh and ds8 take. I bought the max which will last us a full calendar year for the cost of 3 months of generic at Walmart.

We recently joined for the first time. I find their gas much cheaper ( we have the Amex too. Can't beat cheaper+5% off). Their organics keep me coming back and select cleaning supplies as well as diapers save me huge.

I think their photos are supermodel Walmart too. I wish I'd have joined sooner!

Eye appointments paid for our first membership. Then we upped to the 'executive' and so get a % back at the end of the year. We always get back enough to pay for the next year's membership, so for us it's a no-brainer.

I love haunting the aisles for the items with a * next to the price. That means the item is on the way out, and will often start dropping in price. I just replaced our $40 mixer for $9 by watching the *!

Then again, I live in a community where there is not much to do, so wandering the Costco aisles is my main form of entertainment :D. Our Costco is new, very very clean, and never crowded. That helps too!

Even with a family of 6, I was starting to consider canceling ours because there are only 2 in our metro area, neither particularly close to us. I never get there at all, sometimes dh will go for me since he can get there more easily from work. They just announced that they're opening one near us at the end of the year, though, so I think that we'll use it more then.

We have this problem in Austin too.

This is exactly our problem. Luckily one is near church so I tend to go on Sundays but it is not near as convenient as when I lived in Puget Sound WA.

The coupons come in the post. I wait until I get coupons to buy cleaning supplies, TP, and baking supplies like chocolate chips and craisins. When I get a coupon for chocolate chips I buy the max and pop extras in my freezer. OTC zyrtec and vitamins are also much cheaper there and often have coupons. Last time they had $4 off the generic zyrtec my dh and ds8 take. I bought the max which will last us a full calendar year for the cost of 3 months of generic at Walmart.

Also, check at your store, but I just have to bring one coupon, the bar code is the same for the whole book, you don't need to bring all of them with you.

I also LOVE their return policy.

Christmas shopping. I save every year at Costco just on Christmas shopping. They have sets that you usually can't get anywhere else, for really good deals. I got a great nano/hex bug set this year. Play mobile, Halloween Candy, the plants at the right time of the year. I got my rhodie's and 3 blueberry plants there.

Oh, and did I mention their wine selection...:auto:

I've just received the renewal notice, at $55 a year. I've belonged to Costco forever (from back when it was Price Club), but I can't see a real reason to continue.

I do not have a huge family (there are four of us). I do not buy food there, as we get local, grass-fed meat and CSA veggies. The rest is bought at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Wine is just as cheap at Trader Joe's. I buy cleaning products at Smart & Final or Target, and toilet paper/paper towels either at Trader Joe's or Target.

So.....I guess I'm thinking it's just time to give up the Costco card and save $55, but it feels weird.

I shop at TJoe's, Whole Food Warehouse & Whole Foods for most of our general day-to-day food, but Costco for just about everything else. I usually do a big run once a month, and save at least $25-$50 over what I would spend elsewhere.

Ours has great organic greens, fruit & meats, gas (much cheaper) specialty items like white fish spread/aged cheeses/dates/condiments, batteries, personal products, clothing and dish soap, bulk cooking items (spices, oil & rice)... I'm out of breath! I buy wine at either TJoe's or Total Wine.

I also make trips a few times a year to Super H Mart (not sure if there's one in your area) for Asian foods and great deals on fresh specialty produce. I wish we had one closer.

Atlanta truly is over loaded with too many places to shop. :lol:

I shop at TJoe's, Whole Food Warehouse & Whole Foods for most of our general day-to-day food, but Costco for just about everything else. I usually do a big run once a month, and save at least $25-$50 over what I would spend elsewhere.

Ours has great organic greens, fruit & meats, gas (much cheaper) specialty items like white fish spread/aged cheeses/dates/condiments, batteries, personal products, clothing and dish soap, bulk cooking items (spices, oil & rice)... I'm out of breath! I buy wine at either TJoe's or Total Wine.

I also make trips a few times a year to Super H Mart (not sure if there's one in your area) for Asian foods and great deals on fresh specialty produce. I wish we had one closer.

Atlanta truly is over loaded with too many places to shop. :lol:

Okay, I'm convinced! I kind of hated to add another place to shop (I dislike shopping, and my TJ's and Whole Foods are in the same parking lot), but I think I'll try going during or immediately following my dd's violin lesson and see how that works out.

Thank you all for reminding me of all that Costco has to offer!!

Yes, this too!

I had an Ooma phone hub that went out after two years. I had purchased from Costco and they let me exchange with no problem!

That saved me $200.

Dawn

The return policy!

Except for electronics (TV, cameras, etc) you can return anything and everthing, no issues.

I will buy things at Costco at times just because of the return policy.

I'm Asian. If I tear up my Costco card, they'd kick me out of the (Asian) club! :D

We live in a busy, multi-generational home so buying in bulk works for us. We also do a lot of catering type stuff for our various extracurriculars using Costco. And we consider Sample Day a bona fide field trip. As well as lunch LOL. Gas is cheaper for us, too.

In your case, I'd say ditch the membership. If there's something you truly, really need I'm sure you know someone in your social circle who could guest you in. My friend used my membership to get a new TV and a fancy watch :)

The return policy!

Except for electronics (TV, cameras, etc) you can return anything and everthing, no issues.

I will buy things at Costco at times just because of the return policy.

:iagree: Their return policy is fantastic. I also really like their Kirkland brand for a lot of items: paper towels, trash bags, organic peanut butter, etc. I think their photo dept is top notch.

Do you have a dog? (oh. wait. I see by your siggy that you do!) They have a new grain-free dog food that's gotten good reviews, and is by far the least expensive grain-free out there. I think it's called "Natural Instinct" or something like that? I have a friend who breeds malamutes and swears by it. Her kids are out of the house and it's just her dh and herself, but she keeps her Costco membership for paper towels (again, breeder of big hairy muddy dogs) and their grain-free food.

astrid