Menu

s/o cloth diapers: if you use/used them, did "big butt" cause problems?

On my son it was a blessing, as he had NO butt. ON my daughter it can be an issue, as girl pants these days have no room in the rear. But, I now buy either stretchy pants or boys pants for her and it is fine. Or in her few skinny butt clothes I put her in a flip insert and cover, and that is pretty trim.

Even with my oldest, I never found this to be an issue. He did have some Hanna outfits, but he also wore regular clothing. I never had a problem. With my last, the diaper was the outfit, so that especially wasn't a problem. lol

My second was a cloth diapered girl and she was almost always in cotton tights and little cotton dresses, so no problem there.

I've never really had a problem with it. It keeps their pants up, which is nice, and if the pants dont' fit I just buy bigger ones. I roll the cuffs if they are too long. With my sons I'm finding it to be far less of an issue since boys clothes seem to fit looser anyhow. My DD dropped a size when she potty trained but it was not a big deal.

My disposable-diapering friends regularly complain about their kids' pants falling down all the time. So I guess it's one thing or the other.

Yeah, it's been a problem in jeans and khaki-type pants. We use disposables when we're going to be away from home for more than an hour or so, so it's not a huge issue for us. At home and for shorter errands, I just put him in sweat pants. Our pocket dipes are definitely less bulky than prefolds with a cover, so I also use those at the times that he needs to wear pants.

He's 2 and a little stripper, though...so even in winter, most of the time I'm lucky if I can keep a shirt on him at home. He always takes pants right off! LOL

DS was/is so skinny and lacking in the butt department that it didn't matter. He's going to be 3 soon and just now fits into 24 months/2T pants in some brands and still needs the adjustable elastic waist band in others.

DD is young enough that I can just go up a size or put her in larger footies for now.

I know there are brands that are made to be more trim or have a better rear fit. It wasn't an issue for me with DS and I'm using primarily for economic reasons now, so I haven't looked for or tried those.

If we had pants that needed trimness, we just used FuzziBunz on those! But around the house, the kids usually didn't wear much besides a diaper. When they were little, we did a lot of lolling in bed reading together. When they got older, they always preferred nudity at home. It was dipes only usually. :001_smile:

A bigger butt would have been helpful for my eldest. I couldn't find any pants that would stay up. I discovered the trick of using leggings for pants, and that's all she wore for years. Maybe I should have bought some cloth pull-ups in place of undies ;).

It seems funny to hear of folks struggling to find big enough pants when I despaired of finding any slim enough for my kid to wear. Had to pass up so many cute outfits!

We found that overalls or knit pants were best. We could not find jeans that would work except for some from Land's End, Gymboree (old, don't think they are as big now) and hanna anderrson. OKB, most Gap, Old Navy and pretty much any cheap brands of jeans like Circo or the Wonder Kids stuff were never generously enough cut to allow room for the big old diaper.

With my girls, not so much of a problem because I liked putting dresses on them... but, it reminds me of a lady coming up to me at church telling me that she didn't like me using cloth diapers and my girl having a big butt... I wanted to ask her if she'd like to buy the disposables, but, I held my tongue and just smiled...

With my boys, I only used them part time and it wasn't too much of an issue that I can remember... it's been many years, though!

I loved how much money it saved.... I have no idea how lots of people can afford to use disposables!

Biobottoms!! Those were the BEST!

They were very hard to find by the time my kids came along. I think they went out of business between my first two kids. :sad: They had great kid clothes too.

Yes. My sister has a 26 year old, and I inherited all of her child's Biobottoms items. Hers was the first grandchild and my mother bought everything!

Back when I used cloth diapers, no one had yet invented those bulky diaper covers. We just used the Gerber plastic pants that we picked up in the grocery store. No big butts. :)

Funny, when I was using cloth for DS I bought all kinds of name brand stuff, but I really preferred the Gerber. They ripped easier, but never leaked. I told my mom I had to buy ones because two pairs had ripped and she told me to use duct tape to repair them. :lol: Not so cute, but it worked.

I can't find them in stores anymore, but I should order some for DD if I get back to using cloth on her.

Funny, when I was using cloth for DS I bought all kinds of name brand stuff, but I really preferred the Gerber. They ripped easier, but never leaked. I told my mom I had to buy ones because two pairs had ripped and she told me to use duct tape to repair them. :lol: Not so cute, but it worked.

I can't find them in stores anymore, but I should order some for DD if I get back to using cloth on her.

I often used nylon pants for outings. They don't tear as plastic does. They are not $. An older brand is Alexis. I have bought nylon covers for cloth diapering friends. I think the last place I got them was from a VT diaper company. They are great when you don't want any leaks, plus they don't crack. I am one who also enjoyed using pins, even with my youngest and all the cute fitted dipes available. I was often seen running pins through my hair to get them to slide through the cloth better. :) I just really enjoy cloth diapers of all kinds. ;) Oy. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

My babies are skinny, but I did find this to be a problem. Part of it is because we used cotton prefolds, which I think are the bulkiest. At home, I use babylegs, dresses, or just let them go pantless. I have all girls, so that helps. When we go out, I have been known to put them in disposables so that their pants actually fit and they don't look bad. For me, this is the biggest downside of cloth diapering.

Gerber also made some nice nylon covers both in pull-on and velcro. They were cheap, effective, and tough.

I often used nylon pants for outings. They don't tear as plastic does. They are not $. An older brand is Alexis. I have bought friends nylon covers. I think the last place I got them was from a VT diaper company. They are great when you don't want leaks, plus they don't crack. I am one who also enjoyed using pins, even with my youngest and all the cute fitted dipes available. I was often seen running pins through my hair to get them to slide through the cloth better. :) I just really enjoy cloth diapers of all kinds. ;) Oy. lol

I remember doing that! A bar of soap was not always convenient once baby got active. I could also do a pretty quick change on the floor while holding kiddo down with one leg. Don't think I'm that flexible anymore... :tongue_smilie:

I had a few of those covers too. They had a nice side snap option that was great in certain situations. :ack2:

My babies are skinny, but I did find this to be a problem. Part of it is because we used cotton prefolds, which I think are the bulkiest. At home, I use babylegs, dresses, or just let them go pantless. I have all girls, so that helps. When we go out, I have been known to put them in disposables so that their pants actually fit and they don't look bad. For me, this is the biggest downside of cloth diapering.

I used prefolds in the bikini-twist fold which puts all the bulk in the crotch, none anywhere else really. I fastened them tightly with Bummis SWW covers. They were super trim !

I remember doing that! A bar of soap was not always convenient once baby got active. I could also do a pretty quick change on the floor while holding kiddo down with one leg. Don't think I'm that flexible anymore... :tongue_smilie:

I had a few of those covers too. They had a nice side snap option that was great in certain situations. :ack2:

:) It's like you know me.

Or I know you.

Something. ;)

I often used nylon pants for outings. They don't tear as plastic does. They are not $. An older brand is Alexis. I have bought nylon covers for cloth diapering friends. I think the last place I got them was from a VT diaper company. They are great when you don't want any leaks, plus they don't crack. I am one who also enjoyed using pins, even with my youngest and all the cute fitted dipes available. I was often seen running pins through my hair to get them to slide through the cloth better. :) I just really enjoy cloth diapers of all kinds. ;) Oy. lol

Gerber also made some nice nylon covers both in pull-on and velcro. They were cheap, effective, and tough.

Thanks you! I'll have to poke around and see if I can find some. Cheap is definitely the way I need to go.

When my kids were babies 4-5 years ago, I found Gerber vinyl undies (to go over diapers) at Wal-Mart. They were not expensive at all. Wal-Mart also sells very inexpensive cloth diapers - the kind my mom used. Not cute, but affordable and easy to use/wash.

When my kids were babies 4-5 years ago, I found Gerber vinyl undies (to go over diapers) at Wal-Mart. They were not expensive at all. Wal-Mart also sells very inexpensive cloth diapers - the kind my mom used. Not cute, but affordable and easy to use/wash.

Just a warning about those prefolds at Target and Walmart--they may be filled with polyester fiberfill because most people are embellishing them to use as burp cloths or some other non-diapering use, so they don't need to be super absorbent. They are not as good at holding in what needs to be held in by a diaper. The Gerber diaper service quality prefolds and flats are slightly better, but not as good as a really high-quality DSQ prefold. :2cents:

Just a warning about those prefolds at Target and Walmart--they may be filled with polyester fiberfill because most people are embellishing them to use as burp cloths or some other non-diapering use, so they don't need to be super absorbent. They are not as good at holding in what needs to be held in by a diaper. The Gerber diaper service quality prefolds and flats are slightly better, but not as good as a really high-quality DSQ prefold. :2cents:

I ripped one open that I had been given and they was a strip of polyester sponge in it ! :001_huh:

On the other hand, my mom was so excited to see birdseye flat diapers at our house. I bought them at BRU cheap, cheap, cheap ! She got all happy about showing me how to do a kite-fold :lol: I used the birdseye flats on DS2 as a newborn, used them later as nighttime doublers, and am still using them today as kitchen rags !!!! :tongue_smilie: Great investment !

Hmm. I had bought some, but I never ended up using them. I just know they kinda looked like the ones we used when my siblings were babies.

I know that even with cotton, the absorbency isn't great until after they have been washed in hot water and shrunk. I think my mom told me to wash them multiple times before use. Just noting that because some people may get frustrated at first and not give them a fair chance. (Of course, a lot has changed since the 1970s, so I could be all wet - no pun intended.)

I think, personally, butt size depends on diaper. :)

We used AIO's for our little ones. One child couldn't use them as his legs were sooooo thin he'd have leakage every time. It wasn't worth my sanity. He potty trained so easily too.

Next one in line I used them for and had no issues with big butt and clothes not fitting, etc. :)

That was another drawback with cloth diapering some times. They don't cut pants to fit over them anymore. Did other cloth diaper moms find this to be a problem?

My ds is such a slim jim that the cloth diaper was the only reason the trousers stayed up -and yes I had to buy them one size up. The benefit of this is that I was able to use the same trousers after he was potty trained so I didn't have to buy any new ones.

Also, my ds rolled off the changing table once (yes, bad mummy was picking up the box of wipes I had dropped a second before). DS landed on his cloth "bit butt" and of course it was like landing on a cushion -no harm done. Since that day I was a total fan of cloth!

The Gerber diaper service prefolds I bought were excellent--but that was for my ds who will be 18 tomorrow. They took some time to "break in" and stayed flatter longer before finally getting all nice and rumply.

Depended upon the nappies, it occasionally caused problems, especially at night when they were super stuffed but during the day the pocket nappies we used were slim so not a major problem. There are a few brands in the UK that sell cloth nappy cut trousers and onesies so I had a few of those or used vest extenders.

I also made several pairs of trousers from old patterns that still assumed kids were in cloth.

Edited by lailasmum