Menu

Radio transcript between Coast Guard and cruise ship captain

I don't know the specific timeline of events, but I find myself wondering, if this captain was drunk, when did he start drinking? If being intoxicated caused this poor decision making, he'd have to have been drinking for a long time.... I'm thinking days, not hours.

I'm guessing when he realized the gravity of his actions, he grabbed a bottle. And that his poor decisions were the result of being an arrogant you-know-what. His actions and continued excuse making are truly impossible to comprehend.

Yes, wasn't it funny that both he and his first mate, both ended up in the same life boat! I read in another article (don't remember the source) that another officer was in the same boat also. It would be interesting to hear the passengers recollections of how he ended up in the boat with them.

Yes, wasn't it funny that both he and his first mate, both ended up in the same life boat! I read in another article (don't remember the source) that another officer was in the same boat also. It would be interesting to hear the passengers recollections of how he ended up in the boat with them.

I'm surprised the passengers let them stay in the boat. Maybe they didn't know who they were. :glare:

As I was reading this thread, the local news came on and they were talking about this. They said that some countries do not expect a captain to go down with the ship because that would be a death sentence. I think they said that was true of the U.S.....but, I'm really not sure if I heard that part correctly because dh is snoring terribly loud. But....they said that for some countries, like Italy, the law requires the captain to remain on the ship. Just for abandoning the ship he could get up to 12 years. They reminded the viewers that this is the same country that had the Amanda Knox trial and how different the Italian court is compared to the U.S. So.....it should be interesting.

I don't think anyone expects the captain to go down with the ship. But he's in charge. He should be the one keeping order. He should have been there to get people off and to relay to the coast guard and port authority what was happening. Once everyone was off, then he gets off. Reports say he was off by 1130, but the last passenger wasn't off until 2/3. Even "tripping" off the boat he had time to get back. Someone said to call him a coward is an insult to all other cowards. :D

Apparently, European/Italian cruise rules are different. They were going to do a muster drill the next day.

Dh and I are going on a cruise this year with Carnival so I've been watching closely.

I don't think anyone expects the captain to go down with the ship. But he's in charge. He should be the one keeping order. He should have been there to get people off and to relay to the coast guard and port authority what was happening. Once everyone was off, then he gets off. Reports say he was off by 1130, but the last passenger wasn't off until 2/3. Even "tripping" off the boat he had time to get back. Someone said to call him a coward is an insult to all other cowards. :D

Apparently, European/Italian cruise rules are different. They were going to do a muster drill the next day.

Dh and I are going on a cruise this year with Carnival so I've been watching closely.

Huh. We cruised out of Barcelona, Spain and had our drill before leaving port. That was Royal Caribbean. Maybe their company policy is stricter than the law.

I'm surprised the passengers let them stay in the boat. Maybe they didn't know who they were. :glare:

or they were more civilized than the captain and first officer.:glare: the captain is expected to take charge of the evacuation and get his passengers and crew off, not be among the first to escape to saftey.

the coast guard reports the rocks *were* on the charts.

THAT is some scary footage. Can you imagine being ON that ship? I wonder if this is when they first hit those rocks?

It must have been terrifying. I couldn't help but watch, but was glad in the end to see the person wearing black was walking. I think he's the one who could have suffered the worst of the injuries shown in that segment. I'm guessing it's when they first hit too.

I think it will be shown that the captain was drunk at the time. Isn't it a huge percentage of cruise ship accidents that are attributable to the captain being drunk? I don't know why they're even allowed to drink at all while on board. I don't think it's possible to allow them to drink off-duty as there is no time on board when the captain is off duty if an emergency arises.

Wasn't there a problem on board a cruise ship a few years ago and the same thing happened where the captain and many of the crew abandoned ship before all the passengers? Really sad.

I'm shocked that tables and such weren't bolted to the floors :(

I agree! I always assumed that was the case in ALL ships. I've been on ferries and private boats and furniture is always bolted down.

Is that not true for cruise ships? (I've never been on a cruise ship. Heh.)

I agree! I always assumed that was the case in ALL ships. I've been on ferries and private boats and furniture is always bolted down.

Is that not true for cruise ships? (I've never been on a cruise ship. Heh.)

Not on the ships I've been on. In the dining rooms, they need to be able to move the tables to accommodate different sized groups.

But, NONE of our cruises have had rough enough waters to where the furniture would have moved. I think that's quite rare. And, we've been on a couple where the water was VERY rough (just after a hurricane).

I've been reading the links this morning. It takes awhile because one video links to another and another and another. This wasn't the first time this cruise ship sailed close to that island. This video shows it cruising by the island last August, even closer to the shore than this time. They said they aren't sure if it was the same captain. Another video was an interview with one of the cooks. An hour after the ship struck the rocks the captain ordered his meal to be made. He was just calmly sitting in the dining area with some woman waiting for his meal and his drink. :confused:

This was posted this morning, about the missing 5 year old. It makes me very sad and very angry. The most frightening to me is thinking if I were on a ship like this with my kids.

:crying:

This was posted this morning, about the missing 5 year old. It makes me very sad and very angry. The most frightening to me is thinking if I were on a ship like this with my kids.

:crying:

This is hitting way too close to home. I hope they find that little girl one way or the other - her poor mother.

The Carnival cruse my 5yo girls and I went on a few weeks ago did have a mandatory evacuation drill before they left port (at San Juan, Puerto Rico). They were very strict / pushy about it as many people didn't feel like participating. In retrospect, I am glad of that, because I can't imagine how most of the passengers would find their way to the lifeboats otherwise. I mean, you don't expect the boat to sink in this day and age. I for one did not give evacuation a thought on my own.

This is hitting way too close to home. I hope they find that little girl one way or the other - her poor mother.

The Carnival cruse my 5yo girls and I went on a few weeks ago did have a mandatory evacuation drill before they left port (at San Juan, Puerto Rico). They were very strict / pushy about it as many people didn't feel like participating. In retrospect, I am glad of that, because I can't imagine how most of the passengers would find their way to the lifeboats otherwise. I mean, you don't expect the boat to sink in this day and age. I for one did not give evacuation a thought on my own.

I know! This has sparked many, many conversations about what we would do if this ever happened when we were on a cruise. I think the scariest thing is that oftentimes, we are separated from our children. How do we get back together to get off the ship together? How could I possibly get into a lifeboat without my kids?

One thing that does help is knowing that it took quite a bit of time for that ship to go under. So, in a situation like that, there IS some time.

And, yes! They really are pushy about the evacuation drills aren't they? They took roll at ours!!!

To the bolded: yes, he really is expected to go down with the ship if there's anyone left on it. He has to be the last one off. That's the demand of the title "Captain." If you aren't prepared to do that, you shouldn't ever take that job.

I'm thinking of my dear old Navy dad (RIP) and I think he'd spit nails to hear this story. That captain is such a disgrace.

To the bolded: yes, he really is expected to go down with the ship if there's anyone left on it. He has to be the last one off. That's the demand of the title "Captain." If you aren't prepared to do that, you shouldn't ever take that job.

I'm thinking of my dear old Navy dad (RIP) and I think he'd spit nails to hear this story. That captain is such a disgrace.

:iagree:

Okay I was watching the news this morning while eating breakfast with my dh who just flew home.

Here is the latest- The captain was called by the Coast Guard while on the ship because people were calling saying there was a problem. He lied and said they were only having electrical problems even though this was after the ship had hit a rock.

Then there is video of a female ship employee telling passengers who had their life jackets on that there was no problem, the ship was only having an electrical problem, and they should all go back to their cabins.

I wonder if any of those passengers died.

My dh thinks this raises the level of culpability of the captain. He knew he had hit a rock and the ship was taking in water and he lied to the Coast Guard so they wouldn't come to help.

I can't even imagine what the lawsuit costs will be with this. Particularly as the line had previous knowledge that this captain was undependable- previous problems because of his hotdogging.

Particularly as the line had previous knowledge that this captain was undependable- previous problems because of his hotdogging.

I've read his old boss has said that, but I would love to see documentation from before this accident that he engaged in showboating. I can't imagaine him being promoted to captain if he had been reported to their superiors for such behavior as his "old boss" is now accusing him of. Did the former boss actually report his antics to higher-ups? Was everything just covered up? and now that his culpability is pretty much a given, if people are just jumping on the bandwagon to now accuse him of things to cover their own rear ends for covering his previous behavior.

if you look at the sat-nav of the approved (?) sailing in august, vs captain cowards course - his course came *much* closer to the rocks/islets south of the port than the august sailing.

What do y'all think about this comment under the article that AprilMay linked:

No-one is seeing it from the other aspect - 4200 passengers, ship hits rocks in the darkness of night, stuff flies eveywhere, everyone has to be evacuated and yet just 31 out of 4200 are listed as dead / missing.

Whilst you have to have feeling for the dead and missing and their families, things went quite well for 4169 people or 99.3% - a fairly good outcome for such a tragedy.

No, I am not talking about previous captains or superiors, the reports I have heard about are fairly recent like in 2011 or 2010 and they are documented problems with the cruise ship like taking the boat too close at another port. These were apparently reported by media at the time but probably only Italian media since we don't normally hear about mishaps on foreign cruise ships unless there are a lot of Americans or it is a pretty bad incidents like those where they had to evacuate a ship or lots of people were hospitalized. I don't think anyone was hurt in the previous incidents.

99.3% is great.....unless you are the 0.7%.

Had he called the Coast Gaurd when it originally happened. Had he ordered evacuation in the beginning of the water seeping it. Had he allowed the passengers to board the lifeboats and for them to be lowered when the ship was still upright.

There likely wouldn't have been a 0.7%

No, I am not talking about previous captains or superiors, the reports I have heard about are fairly recent like in 2011 or 2010 and they are documented problems with the cruise ship like taking the boat too close at another port. These were apparently reported by media at the time but probably only Italian media since we don't normally hear about mishaps on foreign cruise ships unless there are a lot of Americans or it is a pretty bad incidents like those where they had to evacuate a ship or lots of people were hospitalized. I don't think anyone was hurt in the previous incidents.

Keelhauling sounds fitting right now...jmo.

Ravinlunachick- I don't think it is a valid comment. First of all, the Coast Guard says that the rock was on charts but the Captain may not have had the charts since he wasn't supposed to be there.

Here are my arguments why it isn't a good outcome

1) The ship wasn't supposed to be anywhere near that rock and if it had kept to the correct course, everybody would be alive

2) If he was going to take it off course, the Captain needed to confer with his navigator and check the charts. Apparently the rock that he hit is on the chart. He didn't do this. IF he had, he would have missed the rock and again, everyone would be alive.

3) If when the Coast Guard called and asked if there was a problem, he hadn't lied and said it was only an electrical problem and everything was under control, less people would probably have died.

4,) As of now, we have no idea if any of those people who were told to go back to their cabins are among the dead or missing but if so, the actions of the Captain who lied to the crew is the direct reason that those particular people may have died.

5) While I don't know whether the cowardly evacuation of the top Ship officials: the Captain and his second officer and his third officer, actually cost anyone their lives, I am sure the evacuation could have gone much better if the top officers were actually in charge and making good decisions like asking for Coast Guard help.

In one of the articles I read, the 12 year prison sentence is only for the act of leaving the ship before all passengers and crew were off board. The additional sentences that will probably come for manslaughter of all those people will be a lot more. The Italians feel totally disgraced by this cretin and his top officers and I don't think he will get off lightly.

One article said 6 dead, 24 missing - some of the dead are not identified yet.

What a "man". If this is all true...he'll not only have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life but also with the knowledge of having caused the death of several people.

Had he called the Coast Gaurd when it originally happened. Had he ordered evacuation in the beginning of the water seeping it. Had he allowed the passengers to board the lifeboats and for them to be lowered when the ship was still upright.

I completely agree, and please don't think I am in any way excusing the actions (or inaction) of the captain! It is heartening, though to think that the vast majority of passengers survived.

I completely agree, and please don't think I am in any way excusing the actions (or inaction) of the captain! It is heartening, though to think that the vast majority of passengers survived.

I didn't take it that way, just a point to discuss.

What a "man". If this is all true...he'll not only have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life but also with the knowledge of having caused the death of several people.

I get the feeling that this guy really won't feel sorry for anything but that he got in trouble.

Tell that to the families of those that died.

Here is the latest- The captain was called by the Coast Guard while on the ship because people were calling saying there was a problem. He lied and said they were only having electrical problems even though this was after the ship had hit a rock.

Then there is video of a female ship employee telling passengers who had their life jackets on that there was no problem, the ship was only having an electrical problem, and they should all go back to their cabins.

I wonder if any of those passengers died.

My dh thinks this raises the level of culpability of the captain. He knew he had hit a rock and the ship was taking in water and he lied to the Coast Guard so they wouldn't come to help.

If the captain had not been an irresponsible selfish fool, it could have been 100% saved. We don't know that for certain, of course, but even one more life saved would have mattered.

Cat

They are 11 confirmed dead now.

Did you read this article that says the Deputy Mayor of Giglio, Mario Pellegrini, boarded the ship and helped with evacuations from 11pm to 5:30am?

If he could get on board and assist, it makes the case much weaker for the captain saying he couldn't reboard the ship. It isn't like anyone would have believed this excuse anyways, but this just goes to prove that it wasn't impossible.

I hope the heros of the night are brought to light and they receive the acknowledgment they deserve.

The Coast Guard

The civilians who were on the ship

The crew of the ship

The Deputy Mayor

The islanders who assisted the passengers

The off duty captian who took charge

Other people on boats and ships who were near by and have assisted

The search/recovery crew and divers

There are so many heros and people who were truly wonderful in all of this. I hope we start hearing more of their stories.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

If he wasn't drunk, is it possible there is something physically wrong with him or his brain? I don't mean "mental illness" in the traditional sense, I mean something wrong - like a brain tumor (or what my DH goes through).

Probably not; but it is just so tragically absurd.

I saw a news clip this morning that showed a ship official telling passengers that the captain asked them to "kindly return" to their cabins. The same segment reported that the crew declined offers of help when radioed by the coast guard. It's truly astonishing how badly this whole situation was handled, from going off course to declining needed help to delaying evacuation to abandoning the ship. This should never have happened.

I think that if the captain had stayed ON his correct course, the ship would be approaching it's final port and ALL 4200 people would be disembarking on their own two feet.

had he stayed on his proper course, he'd never have hit rocks and they'd never have needed to evacuate to lifeboats.

I get the feeling that this guy really won't feel sorry for anything but that he got in trouble.

ya think? (/sarc)

eta: In case I'm come across the wrong way - I fully agree, I think he's more sorry he's going to be held accountable for this than he is that he attempted the stunt in the first place that caused the loss of life and ship. and nothing he did, or could have done, makes up for the fact that ship had to have alarms disabled to set the course that took it across the rocks in the first place. if he had followed proper procedures and stayed on course, or at least consulted his nav charts (coast guard is insistent those rocks were on the charts - did he not consult his navigation officer - and charts - when he ordered/initiated the showboating course change?), there would never have been a need to evacuate passengers. they guy ordered dinner! AFTER he hit the rocks! why the heck wasn't he taking charge of damage repairs???? or letting the coast guard know he had gouged his ship on rocks and was taking on water? HE told the coast guard it was "just an electrical problem". I could understand telling passengers that to minimize panic, but telling the COAST GUARD that there was ONLY an electrical problem was inexcusable!

Edited by gardenmom5

They said he was trying to move the boat closer to a port for easier evacuation after the rock was struck. Maybe they told the passengers to chill in order to buy time until the boat was in a safer place, in the thought that that would save lives. (And maybe it did save lives.) I assume they did not expect the boat to capsize. Just a thought as to why they would not have evacuated instantly.

They said he was trying to move the boat closer to a port for easier evacuation after the rock was struck. Maybe they told the passengers to chill in order to buy time until the boat was in a safer place, in the thought that that would save lives. (And maybe it did save lives.) I assume they did not expect the boat to capsize. Just a thought as to why they would not have evacuated instantly.

That makes perfect sense, but if that is the case, then why not alert the Coast Guard so they can start moving into position? Why not let people know there is an emergency, and to please return to their cabins to await further instructions? At least then they could have already had the crew in place in the corridors to assist people evacuating, instead of having waiters still serving meals and performers on stage.

ETA: You can't run a ship aground and expect it to stay upright. I am quite certain that he knew the depth of the water at the shore line wasn't deep enough to keep the ship afloat upright......

I don't buy it.

I suspect that he underestimated the damage, stalled and then panicked, unable to make coherent decisions. At that time the second in command should have stepped in, and he didn't. I think he is escaping a lot of scrutiny now, but he may have more thrust on him as the evidence comes to light.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

He told the coast guard the same thing. no excuse in the world for that - the size of that boulder -embedded in the hull - and the damage it did, they were taking on water and he had to have known it.

I think that if the captain had stayed ON his correct course, the ship would be approaching it's final port and ALL 4200 people would be disembarking on their own two feet.

had he stayed on his proper course, he'd never have hit rocks and they'd never have needed to evacuate to lifeboats.

:iagree:

Let's not forget that they were 4 miles off course. 4 MILES! It's not like...."Oh look over there at that island....let's just move a little over to get closer." 4 miles off your route is a lot, I think.

I just read that there is about 2,300 tons of fuel on board and they are very concerned about a possible environmental disaster.

When you look at the photos/video of that huge ship......what are they gonna do? How do they even begin to clean it up?? Think of the money that went into making that thing. Boggles the mind.

the second in command should have stepped in, and he didn't. I think he is escaping a lot of scrutiny now, but he may have more thrust on him as the evidence comes to light.

I listened to the recording the coast guard commandant made of the coversation with the costa captain when he was ordering him back aboard to take chage and get information for the coast guard. the second in command was ON the lifeboat with the captain. somehow, I don't think things will go very well for him either.

THis ship and its fuel is in the Tuscany Natural Marine Reserve. IF they can't get the oil offboard, this will also be an ecological disaster.

'

And I agree with some previous posters. If he wanted to not panic the passengers while he positioned the ship closer to shore once he had ship ruptured already, that is one thing. But to lie to the Coast Guard who could have helped even more in the rescue= absolutely unbelievable.

I have cruised four times in my life. I do still plan to cruise. But I really hope the other cruise lines really tighten up on the officers in charge. I was on a cruise board and people there are comparing this evacuation with another ship that had a fire. In that one, the captain stayed on board, there were orderly procedures and no one died. No one should have died here unless they died in the initial collision. BUt after that, no one should have died. Even now, many days later, still a significant part of the ship is still above water. People could have just hung out on the upper decks. It is just so tragic and the fact that the crew is panicking with the CAptian and his top officers right there in the escape mode, caused others to panic.

Some people say well you never know how you will do in a moment of crisis or disaster. Well actually I do. I have had such moments in my life and never have I done such a cowardly thing. I wasn't even in charge of anything the first time I took charge of neighborhood little kids and got them away from danger. It just angers me so much.

Most recent report I was reading is costa is no longer paying the captain's legal fees, and they have signed on as an "injured" party in the prosecutors case. they had stood behind him in the initial hours after the tragedy, but enough has come out, they won't back him anymore.