Menu

Mom protecting her 3 month old ...

I wouldn't want to make that choice. I feel bad for what she will have to live with. Then again, those four kids are my life. They are everything to me and if you threaten them I will take your life without question. I can only hope she can move past this as well as her husband and begin to heal.

I wouldn't want to make that choice. I feel bad for what she will have to live with. Then again, those four kids are my life. They are everything to me and if you threaten them I will take your life without question. I can only hope she can move past this as well as her husband and begin to heal.

:iagree:

I'm surprised she wasn't advised to shout out to the intruder to stop and alert them she had a gun if they came closer.

That seems a little absurd. They were trying to break into her home. Warn them, why? Police officers, yes; private citizen protecting their home and family, no.

That seems a little absurd. They were trying to break into her home. Warn them, why? Police officers, yes; private citizen protecting their home and family, no.

Because if she scared them off before they broke in, it would have been safer for everyone, not just the intruders. No one wants to have to kill someone via big, big gun in front of an infant.

Because if she scared them off before they broke in, it would have been safer for everyone, not just the intruders. No one wants to have to kill someone via big, big gun in front of an infant.

However, announcing that she has a weapon just gives the intruder a chance to pull his own, if he has one. Bad idea, IMO.

I agree it would be safer, sure, if they ran off. I don't think they would have run off if a woman yelled she had a gun. Those guys would have probably laughed and she might have lost her composure.

I was actually about to delete my response. I had just watched the video, was very emotional, and couldn't imagine being alone with my 3 month old while two men were trying to break into my house. To try and warn those men seemed a little silly, but rational thought took over and I couldn't delete it before you quoted me. ;)

Edited by FairyMom

However, announcing that she has a weapon just gives the intruder a chance to pull his own, if he has one. Bad idea, IMO.

But the guy already had a knife on him. Anyone violently breaking into someone's house when they know the occupant is at home is most likely planning on using a weapon anyway.

I agree it would be safer, sure. I don't think they would have run off if a woman yelled she had a gun. Those guys would have probably laughed and she might have lost her composure.

I was actually about to delete my response. I had just watched the video, was very emotional, and couldn't imagine being alone with my 3 month old while two men were trying to break into my house. To try and warn those men seemed a little silly, but rational thought took over and I couldn't delete it before you quoted me. ;)

Sorry. I'm fast like a ninja. :D

But the guy already had a knife on him. Anyone violently breaking into someone's house when they know the occupant is at home is most likely planning on using a weapon anyway.

Right. Also, did you see where she has a big German Shepherd? I imagine the dog was barking. Two men, one with a big knife, going into a house with a big barking dog? Sounds like two men high on drugs with God knows what on their agenda for that mom. I have no pity. None. Not a bit.

I see your point. But it wouldn't have been safer for the people at the next house those thugs would have moved on to.

I got the impression from the article I read that this was a stalker coming specifically after her, not a random break-in.

Really, I suppose there's no one thing you can do in this situation that's always going to work. And, to be honest, if it was my apartment and I had a gun, I would have walked up to my flimsy door and shot him through it. So I shouldn't judge.

I couldn't watch the video, so I don't know the details. If he was already armed, and especially if she knew that, it would have been crazy to give him any "advance notice" IMO. That is just upping the ante.

I was always taught that one of the worst things you can do if you are scared is to say, "I have a gun!" The sound of the shells racking can speak for you, Daddy said. ;)

Really, I suppose there's no one thing you can do in this situation that's always going to work. And, to be honest, if it was my apartment and I had a gun, I would have walked up to my flimsy door and shot him through it. So I shouldn't judge.

:iagree:

With my children inside, mama bear all the way, no regrets.

But, very realistically, I would think they'd have a target to shoot at... if she yelled out. And, I'd almost be afraid they'd come back later. I feel sorry for the man who doesn't get to make better choices, but when in OK... if you're a robber... better know that there's a gun behind that door you're breaking down. Sometimes we forget that people breaking in are being VIOLENT just in their decision to break down the door.... never mind what they (the guys breaking in) do after.

I actually hate having guns around where I'm living, but better know that if you break in my house... you are gonna die :( Take all that I have in my yard... steal my money if you want... but don't come near my children or bust in my house. I was reared in Texas and ya gotta know that my kid's safety, and mine because I plan to rear them... comes first.

(What's the saying about "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6")

;)

I could not possibly care less that that guy was killed. :confused:

I wasn't trying to say that she shouldn't have shot him. Just that it would have been safer for everyone if there was some way to scare him off before he got in. I'd have shot him too, in that situation.

I am happy that the 911 operator said to do what she had to do to protect her child. Could you imagine if she hadn't? Brave woman.

I was as impressed with the 911 operator as I was with the woman. Perfect response.

I also heard that she recognized one of the men as being someone she suspected of stalking her. He had come by earlier in the week, saying he was a friend of her husband's (and perhaps unaware then that her husband had died, thus revealing himself as untrustworthy? I'm assuming here... point is, she knew she was likely in grave danger).

I wish the best for this brave young woman!

This article says she was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher for 21 minutes before she shot him. It also says she believed the guy was stalking her since her husband's death and that she was barricaded inside her bedroom before the guy kicked in the door.

The police are now looking into the death/loss of several of her German shepherds that also died recently to be sure this wacko didn't contribute to those deaths. She was breeding the dogs to make a bit of money. And now that revenue has been lost too. I wonder how her dh died.... All seems too much coincidence. :(

This article says she was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher for 21 minutes before she shot him. It also says she believed the guy was stalking her since her husband's death and that she was barricaded inside her bedroom before the guy kicked in the door.

Wow, he was already in the house and she didn't shoot him until he broke down the bedroom door, hunting knife in hand. This fella earned what he got.

When I read accounts like these, I really really really wish I were a Secret Millionaire. I'd offer to relocate that little family to a place where the police response didn't take longer than 21 minutes! (Or if she loves the land, pay for beefed up security.) Hope she has family, friends and neighbors for support in the future.

The police are now looking into the death/loss of several of her German shepherds that also died recently to be sure this wacko didn't contribute to those deaths. She was breeding the dogs to make a bit of money. And now that revenue has been lost too. I wonder how her dh died.... All seems too much coincidence. :(

I read he died of cancer.

In the the news video, she said that she went to the back bedroom with the baby, put a bottle in his mouth (I'm assuming she propped it in a carrier), grabbed 2 guns and went out into the main house - I'm assuming when it became evident that they were coming through the door.

They also reiterated that her husband died of cancer on Christmas day.

a

She really should get a book deal. So many girls her age are so dependent and not independent and can protect themselves.

All I want to say to the anti-gun people....if she didn't have one she probably would have been raped and killed along with her baby. Guns do save lives when used properly :) Without those guns she didnt stand a chance.

I sure hope she wasnt on the phone with 911 for 21 minutes, the police should have been there by then.

I am sadden that she had to kill her intruder, BUT given that he made his choice she made the RIGHT choice. AND I would do the same thing.

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-26797925/oklahoma-mother-18-kills-intruder-breaking-into-her-home-while-on-phone-with-911-27777235.html

:iagree: I just can't imagine! Having to deal with this whole mess after losing her husband on Christmas day! Wow, she is truely a strong woman!

I'm surprised she wasn't advised to shout out to the intruder to stop and alert them she had a gun if they came closer.

When an intruder shouts out and gives a warning to me, as he breaks into my home, then I might feel obliged to give him a warning, too. Or not. :tongue_smilie:

I was just reading the article about this on MSNBC this morning. I am guessing she is very "old for her years" as it listed her deceased husband's age as 58 (40 years older than her).

Yes, I noticed that the video showed a photo of the husband, who looked young in the photo -- but with a 70's style shirt on. :confused: He was 58?

I didn't follow the link...

Stupid Question: *WHY* on earth did she feel the need to call 911 to get permission to take care of the vermin attempting to break into her home? (I understand calling 911 to get police on the way, but I can tell you all if some idiot wants to break into my home, I'm not asking for permission to shoot...and I certainly won't warn him. :tongue_smilie:)

This MSNBC article says her husband was 58, and that he died of cancer on Christmas day. It also says the police believe the robbers were possibly after prescription drugs the husband had been taking (probably for pain).

I'm not sure I could have been so calm in her situation. I guess when that mama bear instinct kicks in you do what you have to do.

:bigear: I'm more inclined to empathise with the woman vs. the criminal breaking in too. That said, I can't imagine shooting someone.

When an intruder shouts out and gives a warning to me, as he breaks into my home, then I might feel obliged to give him a warning, too. Or not. :tongue_smilie:

More info here.

The intruder had an accomplice, who fled the scene at the sound of the gunshot and promptly turned himself in. He is now facing murder charges.

The last paragraph says that the young woman had sold her late husband's gun collection to pay for his funeral. The two guns she had in hand that night were the only two she kept.