Menu

Do you really think fleece is WARM? Or just soft?

Which is warmer?  

1. 1. Which is warmer?

• Wool is always warmer than fleece.
    • Meh... sometimes wool is warmer, but sometimes fleece is warmer.
    • Fleece is always warmer than wool.
    • Other

Is it just me, or is fleece just not that warm? All the advertising always makes me think it should be warm.... but in reality, wool is SO MUCH WARMER! I've never had anything fleece that I thought could even compare to wool. And yet trying to find a wool blanket these days (other than online) is seriously difficult.

Btw, I'm not necessarily talking about the high-tech-let's-go-hiking-in-the-himalayas-super-expensive fleece. I'm just talking about the tons and tons and tons of fleece sweatshirts, blankets, fabrics, etc. that are on the market today.

So, what say you, hive? Is fleece as warm as wool? Or do people just prefer to be cold with soft fleece, than warm with itchy wool??

It depends on the weave. Most of the thicker fleece jackets are more of an open/loose weave and not that warm to me. I like micro fleece for lightweight jackets in the PNW. The air is damp here but it isn't that cold outside. Micro fleece is great for temps into the 50s. Beyond that, I want something with a waterproof barrier or wool. I have a thick Eddie Bauer micro fleece jacket that is too hot to wear until it is under 50*.

Wool is probably warmer, but the weather is mild here most months of the year, so fleece is perfect.

It's warm enough in the winter and cool enough in the spring and fall.

Oh, and we love the fleece throws that you find everywhere these days. We have so many that you can just add another on the extra cool days.

I find them both useful. Wool retains your body heat in a way that fleece cannot. I think that can make it much warmer. We use an old army blanket as a mattress pad in the winter and it really does make it warmer. Fleece wouldn't do that.

Sometimes the lightness of fleece is better for the situation. To get the same amount of warmth the wool might be too heavy. Fleece is much better for outer wear in messy situations. I really like my fleece winter running clothes. I wouldn't like to have to handwash winter muck off my running clothes several times a week.

And as much as I love wool, I cannot stand to wear a wool hat all day. It makes my head itch like mad.

as with all things, there are multiple factors to consider. how thick is the fiber? how dense is the weave? different wools vary in warmth. same with fleece. I have "warm" fleece and temperate fleece.

I bought my dd a cashmere/angora/wool coat. It was far, FAR, warmer (and softer) than my cashemere/wool coat. It also weighs less and is much more supple . . . .

eta: I recall a silk/wool blend openknit shawel at the yarn store - my that thing was warm. considering how open the weave was, you'd never suspect it. I have had wool that was of such questionable quality, it wasn't warm.

2dd did winter crew in a very cold climate. she wore polyester microfibers, and was very warm.

good quality wool is NOT itchy.

Edited by gardenmom5

Wool is warmer than fleece but I'm allergic to wool. Fleece is warm enough and it doesn't give me an itchy rash and red eyes.

Christine

I'm allergic to wool also. I start getting short of breath if it's around my face.

Other. Depends on the quality of the fleece.

Per weight, fleece is warmer than wool - the wool sweater that would give me the same insulation as my polartec fleece for winter hiking would weigh several pounds.

Cheap fleece, OTOH, not so warm. Especially since it compresses after a while of use and loses its insulation capabilities.

as with all things, there are multiple factors to consider. how thick is the fiber? how dense is the weave? different wools vary in warmth. same with fleece. I have "warm" fleece and temperate fleece.

:iagree: I remember knitting items for overseas ... drat, I forget where we were sending the stuff, but it was mind-bogglingly cold... and the knitters having a HUGE discussion about this. The final verdict that a truly warm hat would have a good quality fleece lining, and a wool outer shell -- wind would get through the wool knit, even if layered. I supposed fulled or felted wool would be different. Too many factors involved to say one is better.

And we haven't even gotten into the flammability, or what happens when wet....

I picked wool is warmer. A couple of weeks ago I bought a sweater with wool in it from LL Bean, and I finally felt warm in my house! Now, I wasn't comparing it with fleece, but that sweater warmed me up just how I needed to get. I realized how different wook was. But, ya, the itchiness I can do without.

Other. Depends on the quality of the fleece.

Per weight, fleece is warmer than wool - the wool sweater that would give me the same insulation as my polartec fleece for winter hiking would weigh several pounds.

Cheap fleece, OTOH, not so warm. Especially since it compresses after a while of use and loses its insulation capabilities.

:iagree:There is quite a bit of difference in a cheap fleece and polartec.

agreed on Merino itchiness...

Wool will insulate even though it's wet...

fleece is soft and it has the air loft so has a place... but I prefer wool and then silk to fleece. Wool bothers me a bit but it's totally worth it to me in Montana weather, especially spring when I never know when I'm going to be rained on.

:iagree: As a knitter, and a small-flock owner, I can tell you that Merino is not itchy.

As someone who has contact reactions (contact dermatitis) to various things, I can tell you that pretty much ANYTHING can be itchy to certain people. Including Merino.

I voted other because I can't compare. Wool is freaky itchy and I can't touch it w/ a 10 ft. pole. Not all fleece is created equal, but micro fiber fleece is amazing! We can throw a blanket on and feel the warmth spreading immediately, so I would have to say that fleece really is that warm!