Menu

What would your perfect 4th grade curriculum look like?

jayb842

I'm thinking ahead for next year. We will school year around and will be through by June 1 for the current year. We are currently doing Calvert and I like it most of the time but Calvert is being supplemented more and more. I'm currently using Saxon 3, R&S 3 along with Calvert. So if the Hive could create a 4th grade curriculum what would it be?

My perfect 4th grade would be exactly what we are using now- Calvert 4th grade with Saxon 5/4.

The history is great, the Science is good, the spelling is awesome. My son loves the lit and poetry, and he has gone from a non-writer to writing 4 paragraph compositions gently. The school day is not overly long and I feel like a great teacher.

Every child is different, so what works for some won't work for all, but the following is MY ideal 4th grade, at least so far - I'm in the midst of planning for next year. As a caveat, we are not on the 4 year history cycle and haven't been doing science classically, either.

Math Mammoth 4 + some MEP Year 4

Galore Park Junior English 2, possibly adding WWE

All About Spelling

History is kind of up in the air, right now I'm leaning toward CHOW with the workbook from Calvert, although I'm also considering restarting SOTW or using Intellego's world history curriculum.

Science is my main stumbling block. Ideally, I would use BFSU2, but I've had difficulty implementing level 1. We are experimenting with Intellego's science beginning in January, if it goes well, we will stick with that.

Art: Meet the Masters or Atelier

I am trying to decide whether to continue with Spanish and start Latin in 5th or 6th grade, or begin with Lively Latin now.

I'm sorry it's so long and messy, but hopefully that helps a little.

Math: Saxon 5/4, R&S 4 (off days and summer), Activities for the ALAbacus in the summer, Math games in Essentials 1x/week

Thinking Skills: Building Thinking Skills 2

Grammar: Essentials, MP Grammar Book 2 in the summer (when it comes out)

Writing: IEW, WWE 4 in the summer

Latin: LNST4, Latina Christiana 2

Greek:

Spelling: AAS5

Memory Work: CC Foundations, IEW poetry, AWANA, Catechism

Reading/Literature: AAR5 (when it comes out) or OPGTR (unless finished), McGuffey Second Reader (1836 hardcover version) for oral reading, VP and MP 4th grade literature and guides (done orally in discussion format), other living books from VP in various subjects, What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know, maybe CLP 4th grade American History?

History: VP Self-paced History or SOTW (based on what we were studying in CC), Famous Men of Rome w/ MP guide

Science: Apologia (based on what we were studying in CC), MP 4th grade Nature Study (I think it is insects), CLP Nature Reader 4

Bible: VP Bible or What We Believe together, Christian Studies 2 from MP

Read alouds from MP (when they come out with them for grades 3-6)

Art: Artistic Pursuits in the summer, drawing class during the year

Music: violin and piano during the year

PE: Awana, occasionally golf with family members, maybe tennis lessons w/ Daddy

I feel like I'm finally getting 4th grade wired:

Math - Math Mammoth 4 & Life of Fred Elementary series (fast-forward to get to LOF fractions in 5th grade)

Latin: Lively Latin I

Spelling: Spelling Workout E

Grammar: FLL 4

Writing: WWS & WS (WS 2x per week, 2 lessons each time, WS ~ once a week

Logic: Mind Benders, other stuff like that . . .

History: SOTW & related history/bios

Literature: combo of RA & student read/report on books from the SOTW era

Science: BFSU & RS4K level 1

now all I need to figure out is art & music . . .

Classical Conversations Foundations Program: Weekly memory work in science, history, English grammar, Latin, history timeline, Bible, and math. Geography. Fine arts. Science experiments and projects. Public speaking. Social and gym time.

Math: Teaching Textbooks 5, Life of Fred, and Critical Thinking Co. workbooks

Grammar, Vocabulary, and Poetics: Michael Clay Thompson (supplemented with sentence diagramming)

Writing: Writing With Ease 4 and IEW

Spelling: All About Spelling

Thinking Skills/Logic: various Critical Thinking Co. workbooks

Bible: Independent Bible reading, Telling God's Story, playing hymns on piano, and Sing God's Word Bible memory CDs

Latin: Latina Christiana

History/Literature: Story of the World (lots of additional reading) with corresponding chronological literature lists (and Michael Clay Thompson's lit studies)

Science: Good science encyclopedias, great picture books and chapter books about various science topics(probably corresponding to CC memory work) and biographies of scientists, Hakim's The Story of Science series, and lots of field trips

Fine Arts: Monthly composer/artist/poet studies, IEW poetry memory, piano lessons

PE: Swim team

Typing and Spanish would be great additions.

I am planning 4th grade for next year as well. Here is my rough draft plan so far:

Math: Horizons, plus CWP and MEP for supplements

English: R&S English

Spelling: Spelling Power

Writing: IEW alternating with WWW, along with WWE once or twice per week.

Reading: Books from Sonlight and VP lists

Reading Comprehension: (Evan-Moor) Skill Sharperners Reading Workbook

Logic: Building Thinking Skills, Level 2

Vocabulary: (Dynamic Literacy) WordBuild Foundations

Handwriting: (Memoria Press) Cursive Copybook

World History: CHOW with the Calvert workbook, plus 2 lapbooks

American History: A First Book in American History (Eggleston), plus 2 lapbooks

Science: BFSU, plus study various scientists

Geography: :confused: The only things I have liked so far are drawing continent blobs (from The Core) and Hillyer's A Child's Geography of the World (which was published in the 1950's).

Civics/Government/State history/Economics: Why America is Free (Hamburger), plus find something in my state homeschool convention's curriculum hall this summer.

Art: Mark Kisler online drawing lessons

Music: Piano Lesson (Faber), and music appreciation from the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books

Memory work

Public Speaking: (A Beka) Oral Language Lessons, and presentations of lapbooks

Here's our plan for Fourth Grade year.

History

Hillyer CHOW + activity/outline book from Calvert

Geography

Trail Guide to World Geography

Latin

Artes Latinae

Greek

Athenaze

French

Galore Park French

Rosetta Stone French

Arithmetic

Standard Service Arithmetics, Grade 4

Math

Art of Problem Solving Algebra/Geometry/Counting/Number Theory

Alcumus

Math team

English

Galore Park Junior English Book 3

Scribner School Editions of literature

Structural grammar lessons

Religion

My Catholic Faith

Science

Nebel BFSU

Magic School Bus units

Music

Piano lessons

Children's choir

How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music in 52 Easy Lessons

Art

Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

Hillyer's A Child's History of Art

P.E.

Soccer

Running in circles shrieking & waving swords

Okay, I’ll play. I’m planning 4th for next year, too.

Grammar: Growing with Grammar, Grade 4

Writing: Winning with Writing, Level 4; Ignite Your Writing; Cursive Daily Handwriting

Practice; journal

Spelling: Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary, Level 3 and 4

Literature: Kolbe Academy Elementary Literature Curriculum

Spanish: Rosetta Stone Spanish (Latin America), Level 1

Math: Teaching Textbooks, Grades 5, 6; Evan-Moor Daily Word Problems, Grade 5; Evan-Moor

Daily Math Practice, Grade 5; Mammoth Math, Grade 5

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry I with Kogs

History: From 1600 using SOTW 3 together with History of US, The Complete Book of

U.S. History, and tons of supplemental reading, DVDs and materials

Geography: Star-Spangled State Book and Workbook; The Complete Book of American Facts

and Games; Color Chart: United States

Logic: Mindware Grid Perplexors Level A and B; Analogy Challenges, Level A; Deducibles,

Level A

I had a perfect 4th grade curriculum plan (for me), but it would have been disastrous for my first and tear-inducing for my second. :glare:

By the time #3 gets to 4th, I'll be too busy (with the other four kids) to effectively implement my perfect plan, even if she turns out to be perfect (for it). :willy_nilly:

In the meantime, I'll say that whatever gets done with the least amount of tears most consistently and without serious gaps in LA & math is as close to perfect as I'm going to get. :ack2: And that is different for every teacher (mom/dad) and kid.

I am planning 4th grade for my DS8 now and we'll be keeping most of what we've been using. I have been very happy with my year so far.

LA - MCTLA/BW with WWE used in conjunction with history and science, Spelling Power (True confessions, I have been throwing in a bit of ViE with DS8. He likes it and it is fast, easy and painless, if not artful. I'm not in love but it's a box checker so we'll see.)

Math - Singapore is still a winner. I am considering adding in the Beast Academy as an interesting refresher since they're coming out with 3rd grade first (kind of sad about the timing of this for DS.) Adding in Zometool as an enrichment.

History - SOTW 2 with The World in Medieval Times and the Story of Science (I am contemplating using TOG secularly but keep convincing myself it's not worth it. We'll see...)

Science/Nature - continuing with inquiry science and science notebooks, nature walks, etc.

Languages - continuing with Rosetta Stone and daily conversational Spanish, adding Latin for Children

Logic - whatever the next book is in the Prufrock line...can't remember :lol:

Art - continuing with all my current resources and their weekly class

Music - continuing violin/piano/guitar lessons for kids. Might add joint drum lessons for DH and DS8 (they are pretty stoked...I think we're going to start a family garage band :tongue_smilie:). I anticipate our music study next year being much more fun, as ancient music is not as plentiful as that from the middle ages. :D

More yoga (at home) and swimming. Adding in baseball for the boys and dance for DD.

I'm thinking ahead for next year. We will school year around and will be through by June 1 for the current year. We are currently doing Calvert and I like it most of the time but Calvert is being supplemented more and more. I'm currently using Saxon 3, R&S 3 along with Calvert. So if the Hive could create a 4th grade curriculum what would it be?

Continue R&S english, Math Mammoth or Singapore Math, and Heart of Dakota! :) (which uses R&S Eng and Singapore Math)

I've been happy with what we have been doing this year. I think it's great for an academically oriented kid with an interest in history. I love how we'll learn something in history (OUP), then see the same event from Story of Science, then see it again in Excavating English.

Math: Singapore Math

Language Arts: Excavating English, First Steps in Academic Writing (actually aimed at ESL college students, but I had an extra copy and it's perfect for us), SWS, Spencerian Handwriting

History: OUP (European World 400-1450), Middle Ages History Portfolio, historical fiction and documentaries

Science: Story of Science

Latin: Lively Latin, starting Latin Prep 1 next month

Piano, Ballet, plus art, acting, electives at PS

HOWEVER... I don't think this will be the *perfect* program for my younger daughter... or for many other kids. For her, I'll probably use Singapore for math, maybe MCT Island, History Portfolios (without the OUP), Minimus, GP Jr Science.

Edited by Momling

I am planning 4th grade for next year as well. Here is my rough draft plan so far:

Math: Horizons, plus CWP and MEP for supplements

English: R&S English

Writing: IEW alternating with WWW, along with WWE once or twice per week.

Reading: Books from Sonlight and VP lists

Reading Comprehension: (Evan-Moor) Skill Sharperners Reading Workbook

Logic: Building Thinking Skills, Level 2

Vocabulary: (Dynamic Literacy) WordBuild Foundations

Handwriting: (Memoria Press) Cursive Copybook

World History: CHOW with the Calvert workbook, plus 2 lapbooks

American History: A First Book in American History (Eggleston), plus 2 lapbooks

Science: BFSU, plus study various scientists

Geography: :confused: The only things I have liked so far are drawing continent blobs (from The Core) and Hillyer's A Child's Geography of the World (which was published in the 1950's).

Civics/Government/State history/Economics: Why America is Free (Hamburger), plus find something in my state homeschool convention's curriculum hall this summer.

Art: Mark Kisler online drawing lessons

Music: Piano Lesson (Faber), and music appreciation from the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books

Memory work

Public Speaking: (A Beka) Oral Language Lessons, and presentations of lapbooks

:001_huh: Wow! All of that? Makes me feel like we are not doing enough. Are you planning on alternating days for things?

I am relatively happy with our 4th grade plans this year.

Bible- MFW and Awana

Math- Horizons and Calculadders

English- BJU grammar, MC writing

Reading- goes with science or ECC

Geography-- MFW ECC (this includes vocabulary)

Science- MFW ECC and Christian Kids Explore Physics (this includes vocabulary)

Spelling- Spelling Power

Handwriting- A Reason for Handwriting

:001_huh: Wow! All of that? Makes me feel like we are not doing enough. Are you planning on alternating days for things?

I don't do everything every day. It is not as much as it looks really!

Some of the subjects we only do once per week:

Geography, Science, Civics, Art, Music, and the reading comprehension workbook.

Logic I do once or twice per week.

We do world history for the first half of the year and American history for the second half of the year.

We try to organize an oral presentation of a history lapbook once each quarter.

For math, I do Horizons every day, plus one extra worksheet or page of problems from one of the math supplements.

The other subjects are done every day.

This was our 4th grade year. I noted the changes I would make to make it “perfectâ€

Math: Singapore Math: Text, workbook, word problems & extra practice books

LA: Voyages in English, but would change to KISS plus WWE/WWS, Book reports (Classical Lists), Spelling

History: History Odyssey: Modern (Grammar stage) plus a supplemental US course

Science: Singapore’s MPH, liked it, but I would change to a more traditional WTM yearly rotation. Works better for us. I restarted in the Logic stage.

Latin: Latin for Children

Art & Music Appreciation: Own Masters note book.

Extra: Typing, Mind Benders, extra penmanship practice :glare:, I think there were a few other mini-stuff, but I can't remember.

Here's what I'm planning so it's as of yet untried, but I'm pretty sure my 4th grader will approve too!

-Interm. Lang. Less.

-WWE

-Spelling Wisdom

-Strayer-Upton Practical Arith. 1 (2nd half)

-SOTW and related books and read-alouds

-Apologia Elem. Zoo 2

-Memoria Press Intro. to Classical Studies for classical studies and Bible

-Getting Started With Latin done quickly and then probably First Form Latin

-Grammar-Land for a couple of weeks with online worksheets if later think he hasn't had enough grammar from Latin.

-SL readers 4-5.

-Friday 'tea times' with poetry, Book of Virtues, Tales from Shakespeare, and Marvels of Science. Various 'How to Draw' books.

I'll have a 4th grader, too. Here's what I'm thinking now. He's beginning 4th grade math and grammar after next month.

History: Biblioplan Year 2

Science: Possibly Apologia Flying Creatures in a co-op

Geography: Possibly Trail Guide to World in a co-op

Math: BJU 4th/5th

Writing: IEW SWI A

Grammar: Depends on how the rest of this year goes with trying A Beka

Spelling: Big IQ Kids online, but with ACSI older edition lists

Cursive: BJU 3rd/4th grade (Loving their original font! It's been easier for ds than others we tried)

Reading: BJU 4th grade

Critical Thinking/Logic: Perplexors, Balance Benders, Logic Countdown

Next year dd will be in 4th....

Bible

SM NEM via Cybershala, TT Alg 1, HoE Verbal Problems

CC Essentials Grammar & IEW Ancient Writing Lessons

Calvert Spelling 6 cd

Reading Detective cd

SOTW 1 & Trail Guide World

RS4K & MPH

Lego Robotics & Scratch programming

Piano/Voice

Tennis

And lots of books!

TT Alg 1 for 4th! Wow, what a math whiz you must have!!!

I've already started planning for next year too. :D

Geography/cultures/science/art: MFW ECC

Math: CLE 400/Finish up TT4 (but we will not likely use TT5)

Grammar: R&S 4

Writing: WWE 3/4

Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting E

Latin: Latin For Children B

Word Study/Phonics: MCP Phonics E

Logic: Logic Safari 2/Logic Countdown

Plus typing, co-op, AHG, gymnastics, choir, and tennis & soccer seasonally.

Oh, and books!

I love what we are doing for 4th right now:

R&S 5th grade math & spelling

R&S 4th grade English & penmanship

WTM style reading and writing (dictation, narrations, letters to pen pals, beginning outlining in SOTW4 and R&S assignments)

WTM memory work

SOTW4 w/A.G.

WTM style physics (about to start, 1st semester we were finishing Chemistry)

Drawing with Children

Latina Christiana I

Music: R&S Growing in Music and Alfred Piano

***** My perfect curric would include a guide for science. I like doing it the well trained mind way, but would love a guide that had the readings scheduled out for me instead of me hunting down titles at the library or in the encyclopedia. Half of the time my encyclopedia won't have anything on what we are studying. But it seems at the end of the yearly buying, I have to put off the expensive guides and books I have my eyes on for science. We make it work.

Other than that I love all of my choices.

Next year will be 4th grade for us. I don't know that it's "perfect" but we'll mostly continue with what's working...

LA: Spelling Power, MCT, WWE, Cursive practice

Math: Singapore and other supplements as he needs or for fun

History: We are currently doing American History and using SOTW 3 more as an occasional read-aloud. What we do next year will depend on how far we get this year. I think I'd like it to be some American History combined with a course in geography.

Science: Physics, I usually put it together myself from the library and various other sources.

Latin: Lively Latin 2