Menu

Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture

I just started reading Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture and I'm feeling so inspired! I was on the library list for this one for several months, but I'm enjoying it so much I think I might have to buy myself a copy so I can highlight and make notes in it. (Somewhat ironic, I know.)

I am nearing the end of the first half of the book, which discusses the history of homemakers, and it has been a fascinating read. I'm finding it very thought-provoking, and am looking forward to digging into the second half with examples of modern day homemakers.

Has anyone else read this? Did it lead to any life changes/shifts for you? Do you consider yourself a radical homemaker?

Would you mind telling more about what specific things you liked from the book and what you are implementing?:bigear:

I'm still in the first half of the book, which talks about the history of homemaking and the impacts of our consumer culture. The second half is the practical examples of real-life radical homemakers, so I expect that to generate a lot of ideas for me.

One big thing that is coming out of my reading so far is a draw (back) toward less consumption in my life, in general. I have long felt inspired to create more and consume less, but I often find myself back to the treadmill and need to reach for inspiration to shake things up again. This book is definitely doing that for me.

I've been relaying bits and pieces to my husband as I read (mostly stuff he's heard me say before) and I think I'll be starting a discussion with him about drastically lowering our consumption, and what that might look like for us. I think this seems especially relevant right now as we look around at the major amounts of consuming that happen at this time of year.

I am toying with the idea of aiming for no/low first hand consumption in 2012. Basically, I'd like to plan for purchases that we will need to make, and go with used whenever possible, with very few exceptions. I alternate between feeling like this should be easy, and thinking this might be very difficult.

It's not that the book is saying to do these things (not at this point, anyway), but rather that these are the ideas it is inspiring in me. It's good stuff! :D

Edited by MelanieM

I just started reading Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture and I'm feeling so inspired! I was on the library list for this one for several months, but I'm enjoying it so much I think I might have to buy myself a copy so I can highlight and make notes in it. (Somewhat ironic, I know.)

I am nearing the end of the first half of the book, which discusses the history of homemakers, and it has been a fascinating read. I'm finding it very thought-provoking, and am looking forward to digging into the second half with examples of modern day homemakers.

Has anyone else read this? Did it lead to any life changes/shifts for you? Do you consider yourself a radical homemaker?

I consider myself a radical homemaker but I got nothing out of the book. I think it's good for people that need validation but I don't so it wasn't for me. I prefer how to books and that one really isn't.

I read a lot of the reviews and the pages available from Amazon's Look Inside. From what, admittedly, little bit I read I wonder if the reviewer who said the book was geared toward radical homesteading instead of radical home making is correct.

Or perhaps it is radical homemaking while living in the country. I'd be more interested in radial homemaking while living in town or a city.

I read a lot of the reviews and the pages available from Amazon's Look Inside. From what, admittedly, little bit I read I wonder if the reviewer who said the book was geared toward radical homesteading instead of radical home making is correct.

Or perhaps it is radical homemaking while living in the country. I'd be more interested in radial homemaking while living in town or a city.

:iagree:

Things like getting chickens just isnt possible for us where we live. I would love to see more on living in the suburbs and radical homemaking.

I haven't read the book, but I've looked at her website. I think that the main reason there is an emphasis on rural applications is that there is a real desire to get out of the whole debt orientation of society. But for most people that is really hard in the city or suburbs because prices are too high.

I think I'd like to borrow this from the library. I would really like to become much more self-sufficient and bring in some income while at home.

Haven't read it, but I know that making my own bread and cleaning supplies, having a garden, having one car, and dumping my career to stay at home have definitely put me in the "radical" category with a lot of people. And I'm getting more radical as time goes on;).

For those wondering about being radical in the city, this site is inspiring and informative in regards to gardening: http://urbanhomestead.org/about.

I was inspired on a practical level by this book: http://www.amazon.com/Organized-Simplicity-Clutter-Free-Approach-Intentional/dp/1440302634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323715059&sr=8-1. It's really about intentional living, which definitely (well, for me, anyway) is a factor in getting away from consumerism.

I'll look for the book at the library--I've never read a thing about the history of homemakers, and that sounds intriguing.

I blogged about it here earlier this year. I expected to like the book, but was bugged by the history section, which I didn't think was all that good. By the time I got to the second half, I had the wrong attitude!

I am all for the principles and want to do these things, but the book didn't strike the right tone with me or something. I wanted to take my kids to McDonalds!

Things like getting chickens just isnt possible for us where we live. I would love to see more on living in the suburbs and radical homemaking.

I looked into the book a while ago when I read about it on a crafting blog. The reviews gave me the same impression. I don't need to read yet another person telling me to get chickens and/or goats and give up our cars (no mass transit and nothing within walking distance). Even going to one car isn't possible since dh works on a secure facility (badged personnel only) so I can't take him to work.

I'd love to read about how to implement more realistic changes in a suburb with city ordinances against farm animals and no way to get around without a vehicle.

Haven't read it, but I know that making my own bread and cleaning supplies, having a garden, having one car, and dumping my career to stay at home have definitely put me in the "radical" category with a lot of people. And I'm getting more radical as time goes on;).

For those wondering about being radical in the city, this site is inspiring and informative in regards to gardening: http://urbanhomestead.org/about.

I was inspired on a practical level by this book: http://www.amazon.com/Organized-Simplicity-Clutter-Free-Approach-Intentional/dp/1440302634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323715059&sr=8-1. It's really about intentional living, which definitely (well, for me, anyway) is a factor in getting away from consumerism.

I'll look for the book at the library--I've never read a thing about the history of homemakers, and that sounds intriguing.

I have a serious problem with the Dervae's because they tried to own the words Urban Homestead-which is like owning the word white. :glare: And yet they are inspiring. :001_smile:

I also offer a friend's books, The Urban Homestead, Radical Home Ec and their blog Root Simple.

I have a serious problem with the Dervae's because they tried to own the words Urban Homestead-which is like owning the word white. :glare: And yet they are inspiring. :001_smile:

I also offer a friend's books, The Urban Homestead, Radical Home Ec and their blog Root Simple.

They tried to OWN it? Like legally? :confused:, but :lol:. Well, people are weird;).

Off to check out those books and that blog...

I consider myself a radical homemaker but I got nothing out of the book. I think it's good for people that need validation but I don't so it wasn't for me. I prefer how to books and that one really isn't.

Any good suggestions? I looked at the reviews on Amazon and it looks like the why section is decent, but the how is lacking. We are getting ready to move out to the boonies by choice, and will have more land and I am interested in living more simply. I have and enjoy "The Backyard "Homestead" but that is as far as we have gotten.

I would love resources for a family like ours that lives in a small town in Florida (very hard to grow things here, especially since we don't have our own land!) We do have two cars, but DH's commute is modest so he often bikes. He does use the second car for business trips, and I couldn't make it without a car to get to our activities. Nonetheless, we do strive for a simpler lifestyle and making do with less. I would love something that speaks to people like us.

Thanks for all the additional links and book recommendations. I'm looking forward to digging into this whole subject some more.

I'm still only part way through (no reading time the past couple days) but so far, I haven't gotten the impression that it's all about rural homesteading. I personally have no interest in getting chickens or any other type of farm animal (we don't even have any pets right now), and I don't grow any of my own food (and probably won't manage a lot of gardening while I have littles under foot), and yet the book is still speaking to me. In fact, there's a passage in there that talks about how being a radical homemaker isn't all about having animals, or growing your own food, or any other specific activity. But again, I'm only part way through so maybe the actual examples are all about those things?

With regards to how-to resources... a friend of mine recommended Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living for how-to instructions on everyday tasks. It sounds like it would be a useful resource regardless of where you live.

Kiana, so cool that your mother is in the book!

• 3 weeks later...

Great links mentioned above. I just finished RH and came here to ask the same question many of us are asking: how can we effectively produce while living in an urban consuming neighbourhood? I have a quarter- acre lot which is planted full with veg . . . and we regularly shop second-hand. What else have you done to live a producing lifestyle while living in the land of suburban bylaws?

I blogged about it here earlier this year. I expected to like the book, but was bugged by the history section, which I didn't think was all that good. By the time I got to the second half, I had the wrong attitude!

I am all for the principles and want to do these things, but the book didn't strike the right tone with me or something.

Clearly, this is not the book for me. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't read it, but judging by the description, I think I might just be the Anti-Radical Homemaker... unless there's a section in the book that describes exactly how to hire people to do all the cool goats and chickens stuff while I go out for coffee and a nice pastry. ;)

I have a friend who probably qualifies for some sort of Ultimate Radical Homemaker title. She and her dh are working toward being completely self-sufficient (and I'm pretty sure that at some point, they'd like to go off the grid completely.) I couldn't live the way they do, but I love visiting them and seeing how they do things. They are so resourceful and creative, but all of that simple living is also an awful lot of hard work, which -- as many of you are already aware -- I try to avoid at all costs. :tongue_smilie:I satisfy myself with visiting my friends and helping them out in the kitchen or the garden when I'm there.

Although the lifestyle definitely isn't for me, I truly admire those who are dedicated to it and are able to make it work for their families.

Edited by Catwoman

Clearly, this is not the book for me. :tongue_smilie:

...all of that simple living is also an awful lot of hard work...

Although the lifestyle definitely isn't for me, I truly admire those who are dedicated to it and are able to make it work for their families.

I haven't read the book, but I've looked at her website. I think that the main reason there is an emphasis on rural applications is that there is a real desire to get out of the whole debt orientation of society. But for most people that is really hard in the city or suburbs because prices are too high.

I think I'd like to borrow this from the library. I would really like to become much more self-sufficient and bring in some income while at home.

Depends on where you are at. Here, it is cheaper to live in the city than outside of it.

I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I did have one issue in the early chapters where she talks about how bad it is that cigarette companies are in business. How bad it is that they can even get a business permit. Since, I think individuals are responsible for what they choose to buy, I'm really not that passionate about making judgment calls on who can and can't be in business (of course I am not talking about businesses that exploit individuals.) I thought it a very weak argument to spend an entire chapter on how bad big corporate america is, how they are making all our food choices for us, and then turn around and argue that the government should choose who it is who should be in business. :confused:

I have really appreciated the shot in the arm it has given me in my roll as homemaker. The fact that it comes at from secular position is gravy. ;)

I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I did have one issue in the early chapters where she talks about how bad it is that cigarette companies are in business. How bad it is that they can even get a business permit. Since, I think individuals are responsible for what they choose to buy, I'm really not that passionate about making judgment calls on who can and can't be in business (of course I am not talking about businesses that exploit individuals.) I thought it a very weak argument to spend an entire chapter on how bad big corporate america is, how they are making all our food choices for us, and then turn around and argue that the government should choose who it is who should be in business. :confused:

I have really appreciated the shot in the arm it has given me in my roll as homemaker. The fact that it comes at from secular position is gravy. ;)

That really bugged me too. Her whole attitude toward corporations made me want to take my family to McDonalds for dinner. :tongue_smilie:

I mostly loved the book but got really annoyed about her attitude towards taking handouts from the government and relatives. IMHO if you cannot support your family playing gentleman/lady farmer, then the responsible thing to do is to suck it up and get a real job. Don't be mooching off the hard work of others :glare:

IMHO if you cannot support your family playing gentleman/lady farmer, then the responsible thing to do is to suck it up and get a real job. Don't be mooching off the hard work of others :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't read the book, but if the author suggests that you let other people pay your bills -- even occasionally -- that's not exactly what I would consider to be a self-sustaining lifestyle, or anything to write about in a book.

That really bugged me too. Her whole attitude toward corporations made me want to take my family to McDonalds for dinner. :tongue_smilie:

On some of the points I agree with her. I do not like how few corporations, have so much control. Honestly, I would like to see the market more diversified with local businesses. So in one sense I agreed with her, but when she flipped the argument around to not allow cigarette companies I felt she weakened the entire foundation of what was previously laid.

Maybe she just got caught up in illustrating that "Big Government" does not have our best interests in mind. :tongue_smilie:

Other than that I really have been enjoying it! :D

I'm unsure of the book itself and I'll have to take a quick look at it, but it seems to me that it would mean homemaking the way it used to be and not relying on others...

This is what our family is doing or has done:

We've:

learned to milk goats (and sheep if needed), make ice cream and cheese

raised cows, pigs, and sheep for meat (have sheep and a calf right now)

learn to shoot better for hunting if need be

raised chickens for eggs

we hang our laundry many days

we do not have cable and haven't for a long time (but do watch some things online from time to time)

I teach the kids many home skills

cook mostly from scratch

make breads

grow a large garden

make jams/butters/jellies from our fruit trees

can much of what comes out of our garden for later usage in the winter.

Buy locally from small farmers (meat animals and milk products)

barter for goods when I can

Shop my local thrift store because I can find some awesome stuff there

Buy from US companies when possible especially those that are small locally owned ones.

I admire everybody who feels drawn towards this kind of lifestyle, but I resent the implication that people who choose to use their talents in other ways are "consumerist" and materialistic.

Division of labor was a great invention for humankind.

I really dislike the undertones of moral superiority that pervade these types of books and blogs.

I have not read the book, but I do milk cows and goats, gather eggs' make cheese and bake bread. I raise many of the vegetables we eat as well as the beef, pork and turkey.

None of thes things keep me from being a consumer. In fact, it is quite the opposite. I buy fencing, and a cheese press and a kitchen aide mixer and a spinning wheel and some more animals. The list just goes on and on.

I admire everybody who feels drawn towards this kind of lifestyle, but I resent the implication that people who choose to use their talents in other ways are "consumerist" and materialistic.

Division of labor was a great invention for humankind.

I really dislike the undertones of moral superiority that pervade these types of books and blogs.

I can't speak to this book specifically, but I don't think that this larger movement, if I can call it that, has a problem with different talents - not everyone needs to be self-sufficient in the sense of being a farmer.

But our economic system is set up in such a way that most of us are profoundly dependent on entities over which we have no control. Even aside from the catastrophic credit card and line of credit debt, most people do not own their own homes, nor do they own their own jobs, or have any true capital.

Owning one's own job can mean being a farmer, or being a self-employed shoemaker, or even being a member in a business cooperative. But because of our economic structure, those are not easy options and not ones most have access to.

We are instead depended on the few corporations and individuals that own the vast majority of real capital. We are dependent on them for wages, and if we lose the wage, most of us don't own even land to farm our own food or tools to create our own product.

And when we consider political power, who is it that has it? The dependent workers or those who own the capital? Even unions are only able to exist because they are empowered by government, and that is not a sure thing. And they don't help individuals achieve any sort of real independence.

I think it is really kind of scary.

None of thes things keep me from being a consumer. In fact, it is quite the opposite. I buy fencing, and a cheese press and a kitchen aide mixer and a spinning wheel and some more animals. The list just goes on and on.

May I ask if you fill your list at Big-Box-Mart or are you making your purchases from folks who are carving out a life away from mainstream consumerism?

T

Ideally do. Try to support local farmers and local artist/craftspeople, but I buy t posts and cattle panels at tractor supply.

Just today, I ordered $160 worth of seeds, and I've started shopping for a new (to me) farm truck. So I guess the answer is a little bit of both.

I have not read the book, but I do milk cows and goats, gather eggs' make cheese and bake bread. I raise many of the vegetables we eat as well as the beef, pork and turkey.

One of things I appreciated about the book (something my mother tried to instill, but I fell off the wagon :tongue_smilie:) is being a smart consumer. That is more what the book is about than anything. The why behind buying local. Prioritizing what one consumes, combined with the empowerment of being a producer.