Menu

A WWYD regarding local vendor/mom

As background, I've been borrowing a friend's mei tai baby carrier for months. We didn't have the money for me to get my own and it has made life so much easier when I'm out and about with the toddler. Well, she needs it back, and we had some extra money from an insurance pay out, so DH said to buy whatever I wanted. I researched a lot and decided on a carrier called the Boba3G. I could have ordered it from the company directly, with free shipping and a 30 day no questions asked return policy. They even pay return shipping. But I was told that a woman in my mom's group sells them locally. I wanted to help out a fellow mom, so I emailed her. She is new to this group so I don't know her well. I have since heard that she used to bad mouth our moms group before she joined it, but have no real proof of that. Anyway.....

When I asked to buy it I said I could meet any time, for her to pick the day. She did, and the she said she was on a city that is on the other side of the metro area from me, and asked where I was. I told her, and she didn't offer to meet half way,so I figured whatever, I'm helping a mom in my group, it is fine. I drove almost 45 minutes to her house, as it turned out she was on the very far side of that city she mentioned, and when I got there my kid was asleep, so I didn't try it on. She also didn't offer to help me with it, even though her website says "consultations" are offered. Whatever.

I got it home and wore it for about 15 minutes in Walmart. It was very uncomfortable. It was actually painful, and I had to take it off. I had my husband try it, as he is stronger and used to heavy backpacks. He thought it was uncomfortable too. I thought maybe I'm just not used to carrying her on my back, and tried using the mei tai I have to back carry, and although it is a bit of a strain it is not uncomfortable and I can do it without pain.

At this point I emailed the woman I bought it from and explained that it hurts to wear it, and I'd like to know how to return it to her. I also asked if she sold mei tais, as I think I may have to just get one of those, like the one I'm borrowing. She said she can exchange it for a carrier she sells if it is in usuable condition, but that she doesn't have any mei tais in stock, and doesn't know when the new order will arrive, their shipping has been very slow. She also offered to help me see if I can adjust it better so it is more comfortable. I email back and assure her it is in resellable condition, that I only wore it for about 15 minutes and it is back in the box. I say I am very interested in trying to fix the fit of the Boba I bought, otherwise I will get a mei tai from her (which is about $30 less). I finished by asking when we could meet up. That was two days ago and I haven't heard back. I previously got replies from her in hours, not days.

Also, I tried to join a local babywearing group, thinking they could help me figure out what I was doing wrong with the Boba, or could just be fun to meet up with. I already follow the group facebook page but need to be part of the yahoo group to find out about meetings. Well, my request to join has not been approved yet. This was days ago. I checked and the moderator is the woman I bought the carrier from, that is not returning my emails. I know she has been online because she has posted on the group Facebook page on a daily basis.

So what do I do now? I emailed her yesterday just to ask again when would be a good time to meet up, and got no reply. I don't want to keep emailing. Should I send her a message on Facebook? Something else? Should I be worried? Honestly, what I want at this point is my money back so I can order a new mei tai straight from the manufacturer. That way I can pick out what fabric I want, extra long straps, etc. But it doesn't sound like she will give me my money back. I paid cash.

I really really wish I hadn't gone out of my way to help another mom and had just ordered it via the internet! Now I don't know what to do, but I need to do something because I need to return this other carrier to the woman I borrowed it from!

Can you respond to her posts on FB and say something along the lines of, "Hi, xxx! Just checking to see if you got the message I left for you on so-and-so day? I'd love to get this taken care of asap. Thanks so much!"

I'm sorry this hasn't been a positive experience. :(

Ok, she just posted that she will be in a town that is half way between hers and mine tomorrow, so I sent her a message asking if we could meet up so I can return the Boba to her. I will see if she responds. I suppose worst case I sell it...heck I could try to sell it on the facebook page for the group, lol.

Honestly, as soon as you get in touch I would just return it and get your money back. If she drags here feet at all I would post polite, but mater of fact, posts to the facebook group and yahoo group.

Along, the lines of, "Dear ****, I was really wanting to go with a local distributor of these items. Now, that I am having such a difficult time getting you to return contact and arrange for either an exchange, replacement, or refund regarding the item you sold me, my frustration is growing. Since I see you are going to be with X amount of miles from me I would be willing to meet you to resolve this issue. You can reach me on FB, the yahoo group, my email or phone."

This would provide public accountability.

She responded to me just now. She sent me an email saying she "just saw my emails". She said she does have the brand of Mei Tai i'm interested in, but would encourage me to try adjusting the carrier I have. She says she will help me, but didn't give me a time or place to meet up. I just sent her a message back asking again when we can meet. I clarified that I either need it to fit comforably, or I want a Baby Hawk mei tai. Depending on what she has in stock I can get it from her or she can return my money and I will order one from the manufacturer, but I need one soon so I can return the one I'm borrowing.

Honestly, I'd drive over there today and exchange it asap. Stay strong; she is going to try to get you to adjust and keep it.

Ok, she is sending me a link to the color options for the babyhawk, and says I can meet her at the mall tomorrow evening, or come to her house today or tomorrow. Now I just have to be strong and not cave, lol.

So, she still hasn't emailed me the link with the colors she has available in the other carrier. I sent her another message on facebook to ask again, and told her I will meet her at the mall tomorrow evening. I am not driving another 45 minutes each way. Oh, and I just saw that it is 5 dollars LESS on amazon than she charged me, and I could have returned it for free, with amazon paying the return shipping.

Help! I got an email this morning that she will meet me at the mall, but it sounds like she will not give me money back, even if it is just the difference in the price between the two carriers! She told me the colors on the other style, but I can't find them on the website? Then said that I will have $40 left over if I switch to that style, so what else do I want....an amber teething necklace or ring sling or?

Um, I don't want anything else! My daughter only has a few teeth left to get, and I don't need another ring sling. What should I say?

I'd write her and say, "actually, I just need a refund" and see how she responds to that.

I think I'd go ahead and prepare an email to the company that makes these carriers (with the details of all of the previous emails) in case, as I suspect, she says no to the refund or doesn't respond.

I think that the company would be interested to know that one of their resellers is not handling customer concerns properly.

I think I'd go ahead and prepare an email to the company that makes these carriers (with the details of all of the previous emails) in case, as I suspect, she says no to the refund or doesn't respond.

I think that the company would be interested to know that one of their resellers is not handling customer concerns properly.

:iagree:

This.

Let her know that since she has been unable to handle your return you will be contacting the manufacturer directly to have the issue resolved. Personally, I wouldn't do any further business with her. Either she'll straighten up and just hand you your cash, or you can resell the item on ebay or craigslist and purchase what you need.

Can you call the manufacturer? They will want to know that someone who is representing them is doing this kind of disservice to their product. I know it is not their fault but you will forever more associate their product with bad service. They may be willing to do something for you.

This.

Let her know that since she has been unable to handle your return you will be contacting the manufacturer directly to have the issue resolved. Personally, I wouldn't do any further business with her. Either she'll straighten up and just hand you your cash, or you can resell the item on ebay or craigslist and purchase what you need.

Great ideas! :iagree:

Does she sell via a website or just word of mouth. If she has a website, I would see if she has a return policy listed. IF she doesn't, I think you are stuck. Returns/exchanges are a courtesy by the seller, not a requirement. The product doesn't sound defective, just uncomfortable. You should have asked to try it on at the time, since baby was sleeping, a baby doll would have sufficed. If she offers consultations, and you didn't ask for one, again, you passed up an opportunity to see if you liked it before you bought it.

Helping out a small business can be wonderful, but they don't always have the customer service that large companies can afford.

I would ask her point blank about the refund. You need to know where you stand as far as that goes.

Sorry, you go burned. I think that things like this are partially why companies like Amazon are doing so well. Their return policy is great and they are always open :) .

Tap.

She does have a website, but i didn't know she had a website until afterwards. I bought from her directly, via word of mouth. I think I have it adjusted to fit better, so I am just going to keep it I guess. Also, I got a really plain one (plain grey) so my husband would be comfortable using it, but he really doesn't care he says, so I asked if I could at least exchange it for a patterened one. She doesn't have them in stock, and won't be back in town until after the beginning of the year as of tomorrow.

At this point I'm just going to get it to fit better or sell it I guess. I'm annoyed because it was so much money, and not something I would normally spend so much on. And I don't love it. I read so many reviews, for days and days, and thought I did my research. I so wish I'd bought online. I wonder if I should say something to her about customer service, and that everywhere else will return them with no questions asked?

:grouphug:

You could always try selling it and order a babyhawk elsewhere.

I am considering this strongly. I've already got it listed on Craigslist, but no offers yet. It IS a LOT faster to get on, and off compared to the Babyhawk, which is my original reason for getting it. I have an almost 2 year old in the "I want up, I want down" phase. and she seems more comfortable in it than the Babyhawk.

She does have a website, but i didn't know she had a website until afterwards. I bought from her directly, via word of mouth. I think I have it adjusted to fit better, so I am just going to keep it I guess. Also, I got a really plain one (plain grey) so my husband would be comfortable using it, but he really doesn't care he says, so I asked if I could at least exchange it for a patterened one. She doesn't have them in stock, and won't be back in town until after the beginning of the year as of tomorrow.

At this point I'm just going to get it to fit better or sell it I guess. I'm annoyed because it was so much money, and not something I would normally spend so much on. And I don't love it. I read so many reviews, for days and days, and thought I did my research. I so wish I'd bought online. I wonder if I should say something to her about customer service, and that everywhere else will return them with no questions asked?

Does her website have her return policy listed?

I have a Boba and a 35lb toddler. Mine is very cozy.

The "waist" strap should be on your hips. The shoulder straps have two adjustment points, one on the front and one on the back. The ones on the back adjust the baby compartment and the ones on the front adjust the strap length. The chest strap should be horizontal at armpit height.

I have a Boba and a 35lb toddler. Mine is very cozy.

The "waist" strap should be on your hips. The shoulder straps have two adjustment points, one on the front and one on the back. The ones on the back adjust the baby compartment and the ones on the front adjust the strap length. The chest strap should be horizontal at armpit height.

I thought the two different places were both places to adjust strap length?``1

I'm reading that it is for women 5 feet and up. Well, I'm 5 feet exactly, but my torso is very short compared to the rest of me. I have a heck of a time with dresses because the straps fall off. I don't know if that is the problem, but I do know that I read about other people saying they dig in in the arm pit. The padding doesn't go far enough I think, so it is the buckle right in my arm pit.

I thought the two different places were both places to adjust strap length?``1

Both adjust the strap length, but you will feel like the straps are tighter with the front adjusters and the baby will feel pulled in closer with the back adjusters. It didn't make sense to me either and DH and I argued about it until I actually tried it (But don't tell him he was right)

You might just be too short in the torso for this particular carrier. I have a long torso, and by default so do my kids, I got the Boba because the baby section is taller than most mei tais so it fits my kids better.

I'm sorry this woman doesn't get how much damage you can do to her business. You can very matter of factly tell dozens of people what a pain she was to work with and how unhappy you are the product.

I would work my behind to a smaller size before I'd let that happen in any business of mine.

I predict she won't be in business too much longer. Frankly, to keep people from being unhappy, the business owner should insist that the thing is completely comfy before the customer leaves. It would have saved everyone a great deal of hassle.

She has given enterprising women a bad rep. :glare:

So, I met her up at the mall. She was in a hurry, something about her husband having a stomach ache, and spent all of 3 minutes helping me adjust the fit. It was better, but I wore it out to the car and by the time I got there it was still bugging me. The buckle digs into my underarm area. And she will be out of town until the new year. So....not even sure what to do. I found out that she just started the business a few months ago, which explains a few things I guess. Her advice was to go to the babywearing group meeting on Tuesday and let people try to help me, as she was in such a rush tonight.

I'm going to try adjusting it one more time here at home tomorrow, and if that doesn't fix the issue I'm going to email her that I want a refund. Heck, I'll even pay a small restocking fee, but I want a refund. If she won't refund my money I will sell it. I will try on some others at the babywearing meeting on Tuesday and see what I can figure out.

I'm going to try adjusting it one more time here at home tomorrow, and if that doesn't fix the issue I'm going to email her that I want a refund. Heck, I'll even pay a small restocking fee, but I want a refund. If she won't refund my money I will sell it. I will try on some others at the babywearing meeting on Tuesday and see what I can figure out.

Please call the manufacturer. If she is a sales rep for them, they will be able to inform you about their return policy. You might even be able to return the item directly to the manufacturer for a refund.

http://www.bobafamily.com/return-policy/

Call the company and/or email them. Tell them it doesn't fit right, and you are too short for it, and the sales rep isn't able to make it fit. Tell them you want to return it. See what they will do. Mention you going to bf'ing support group, hs'ing support group, blogging about baby carriers . . . and tell them that you REALLY don't want to trash their product just b/c you happen to be unusually small statured, but that being stuck w/ a carrier that CANNOT BE ADJUSTED TO FIT YOU PROPERLY is just not OK.

Might help. Can't hurt.

You are totally getting the short end of the stick. We own a family business, and we are SO careful to avoid dissatisfied folks. You can't do EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY, but you can do a LOT more than she is doing for you. Totally uncool. Especially uncool to waste your time coming there to be fitted and then not taking the time to help you. Totally not OK in my book.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of contacting the manufacturer directly. That is a good idea! I think I will try it again in a bit, using the tips she gave me and my husband's assistance (he is an engineer, very good at visualizing things and figuring them out). If that doesn't work I'm emailing the company.

And as someone that owned a small business myself I agree that her business practices suck. You can't bill yourself as having private consultations and then not have time to help me adjust the fit. Or at the least not offer to find me a carrier that fits better.

So, I met her up at the mall. She was in a hurry, something about her husband having a stomach ache, and spent all of 3 minutes helping me adjust the fit. It was better, but I wore it out to the car and by the time I got there it was still bugging me. The buckle digs into my underarm area. And she will be out of town until the new year. So....not even sure what to do. I found out that she just started the business a few months ago, which explains a few things I guess. Her advice was to go to the babywearing group meeting on Tuesday and let people try to help me, as she was in such a rush tonight.

This is absolutely unacceptable. Really. How much time have you put into this so far? She didn't have TIME to help with the fit??? No. This is unacceptable. She needs to refund. You've been far more gracious towards her than she has any right to expect.

just a note slightly off the main topic ;) if you do choose to get a MT or something else, sounds like if you get a buckle carrier you need something with longer padding in the shoulder straps, and if you get a MT, I would not suggest the babyhawk for a toddler. Maybe look for something that has a padded waist like a Kindercarry, Bamberoo, or Beanslings... those will give you much more support for a bigger baby/toddler :D

Can you call the manufacturer? They will want to know that someone who is representing them is doing this kind of disservice to their product. I know it is not their fault but you will forever more associate their product with bad service. They may be willing to do something for you.

I'd write her and say, "actually, I just need a refund" and see how she responds to that.

Please call the manufacturer. If she is a sales rep for them, they will be able to inform you about their return policy. You might even be able to return the item directly to the manufacturer for a refund.

http://www.bobafamily.com/return-policy/

Call the company and/or email them. Tell them it doesn't fit right, and you are too short for it, and the sales rep isn't able to make it fit. Tell them you want to return it. See what they will do. Mention you going to bf'ing support group, hs'ing support group, blogging about baby carriers . . . and tell them that you REALLY don't want to trash their product just b/c you happen to be unusually small statured, but that being stuck w/ a carrier that CANNOT BE ADJUSTED TO FIT YOU PROPERLY is just not OK.

Might help. Can't hurt.

You are totally getting the short end of the stick. We own a family business, and we are SO careful to avoid dissatisfied folks. You can't do EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY, but you can do a LOT more than she is doing for you. Totally uncool. Especially uncool to waste your time coming there to be fitted and then not taking the time to help you. Totally not OK in my book.

The seller sure sounds as though she has given you the runaround and will continue to do so. I like the ideas about contacting the manufacturer.

You might also see if your state has any laws about returns -- some states allow sellers to set their own policies, others have 'rules.' In any case you could complain to whatever agency handles consumer complaints.

Did she charge you sales tax, if your state collects it? I wonder if her business is legit?

Edited by Alessandra

The seller sure sounds as though she has given you the runaround and will continue to do so. I like the ideas about contacting the manufacturer.

You might also see if your state has any laws about returns -- some states allow sellers to set their own policies, others have 'rules.' In any case you could complain to whatever agency handles consumer complaints.

Did she charge you sales tax, if your state collects it? I wonder if her business is legit?

She did charge me sales tax. I think it is legit, just new.

UGH! I just emailed her, asking directly for a refund. I gave her my email address to send me the money via paypal if that would be easiest. I paid her cash the day of the sale, only 1 week ago. I first emailed her that it was not comfortable and I wanted something else less than 72 hours after I bought it. She says she can't give me a refund, I can choose something else she has. Well, I don't want anything else she has! I didn't respond, but I did just write an email to the manufacturer, as some have suggested. I know it is Christmas, and money is tight, but if you run a small business you need to keep some money on hand. I don't know if she can't afford to give me the money because she already spent it, or she just won't on policy. She has no written policy. I'm very frustrated.

She needs to refund your money...You contacted her almost immediately, and she gave you the run around. I hope she or the company can give you satisfaction.

Try having your dh deal with her.

UGH! I just emailed her, asking directly for a refund. I gave her my email address to send me the money via paypal if that would be easiest. I paid her cash the day of the sale, only 1 week ago. I first emailed her that it was not comfortable and I wanted something else less than 72 hours after I bought it. She says she can't give me a refund, I can choose something else she has. Well, I don't want anything else she has! I didn't respond, but I did just write an email to the manufacturer, as some have suggested. I know it is Christmas, and money is tight, but if you run a small business you need to keep some money on hand. I don't know if she can't afford to give me the money because she already spent it, or she just won't on policy. She has no written policy. I'm very frustrated.

She says she can't give me a refund, I can choose something else she has.

Ask her why not. Make her clearly say she WON'T. I would be nice as sugar, but point out there is nothing about "no refunds" on her website, refunds are standard for most businesses, and that as a beginning business customer service should be very important to her. I wouldn't "threaten her" with bad word of mouth, but leave it in polite terms.

Are you likely to get a good price on Craigslist, etc? If so, I'd do that AND complain to the manufacturer, AND warn everyone else.

If you are going to lose money you can't afford, I'd double check the laws the state (there are some state laws on reasonable refunds) and carefully document the calls, etc, in case you've gone over any legal time frame, and present her with all that in writing. You might have a small claim. You might be able to persuade her you do, whether or not you do. :)

Just some thoughts.

What a hassle.

I could get some money on Craigslist, but I'd definitely lose money. Especially since I paid sales tax and someone paying me wouldn't. I ended up paying $129 for it out of pocket, including tax. I could have bought it online for less more than likely. Lesson learned. I don't think I'll every buy anything again without asking about the return policy first!

This is what I sent her, in reply:

I'm afraid you don't have anything that I would like right now. I didn't realize you didn't do refunds, or I would have purchased it from the manufacturers website, or Amazon. I just wanted to support a local mom's business.

I will see what I hear back from the manufacturer.

I've

can I just say that I'm actually sick to my stomach dealing with this? If she wasn't in my mom's group I wouldn't feel so icky. I didn't know her before this though, as she just joined. I just figured it would be like dealing with one of the mom's i know and love, and it isn't.

Ask her why not. Make her clearly say she WON'T. I would be nice as sugar, but point out there is nothing about "no refunds" on her website, refunds are standard for most businesses, and that as a beginning business customer service should be very important to her. I wouldn't "threaten her" with bad word of mouth, but leave it in polite terms.

Are you likely to get a good price on Craigslist, etc? If so, I'd do that AND complain to the manufacturer, AND warn everyone else.

If you are going to lose money you can't afford, I'd double check the laws the state (there are some state laws on reasonable refunds) and carefully document the calls, etc, in case you've gone over any legal time frame, and present her with all that in writing. You might have a small claim. You might be able to persuade her you do, whether or not you do. :)

Just some thoughts.

What a hassle.

This woman is unbelievable. Really.

This woman is unbelievable. Really.

You are right. I keep thinking about it, and it isn't like she is out any time even! I drove to her house, picked it up and drove away as it was raining. Then I met her at the picture portrait place and waited around for her, only for her to have to rush off after literally 2-3 minutes of instruction.