Menu

Another Controversial Poll: snapping green beans

How do you snap your green beans?  

1. 1. How do you snap your green beans?

• snap off the stem end only
    • snap off both ends
    • where's the can opener?
    • obligatory other

I snap both ends. I was trained by grandma and grandpa the avid gardeners from a long line of hearty farm stock. So, I've always assumed that there was a compelling reason to do this.

I also snap into thirds after that because the beans fit in the jars better this way than when I leave them in stalks. However, for the 14 pints of dilly beans that I make, I leave the bean whole except for taking off both ends.

Faith

I voted obligatory other because I planted 7 rows of green beans this summer and I snapped the 1st picking on both ends. My MIL informed me that she never snaps the tips off and, facing three buckets of beans which needed snapping, I thought that sounded good. Now that we have eaten some, I don't notice any difference. Home frozen green beans are the best.

when I was a child my mother would cut the whole bean on an angle so they ended up in tiny pieces about the size of a pea. When I got married I did the same thing, believing that is what you are meant to do with beans. My DH just about had a stroke at the sight of my beautiful mangled beans.

I now only snap the stem end and gently steam them whole, or serve them raw.

If I'm doing a small amount and hand snapping it is just the stem end.

If I'm cooking for a crowd then I will cut both ends with a knife. I do both ends because it's easier to trim both sides in a big bunch than to go looking for the few bad ends in a massive pile of beans.

Just the stem.

As a child, I helped my mother can beans. I remember thinking it was rather silly and a waste of my time that I was told to snap off both ends and questioned my mother. She paused, thought about it and said, "I have no idea why I do that. It's the way my mother did it." I stopped snapping off both ends at that point. :D