Menu

Favorite reads of 2011? Is this too soon?

I posted in another thread about being in a book funk (and asking for kid/parent friendly choices).

Now I'd love some adult favorites. I really need to bust out of this funk!!

Off the top of my head, a couple favorites from this year are below (none of them new though):

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

- Angela's Ashes

- The Forgotten Garden

- Uncle Tom's Cabin

Edited by tammyw

Use the search function to look at the "book a week 2011" threads. I've found some real gems conversing with those ladies.

I just finished my fave book of the year today---Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (my review is here). I read The Forgotten Garden earlier in the year and liked that too.

I guess it depends what you like. On the sci fi side, I really dug The Host. If you want spiritual with a bit of humor, I recommend Breakfast with Buddha. If you want to laugh and you're not easily offended, I would go with Tina Fey's Bossypants. Or for something truly different and original, try The Art of Racing in the Rain or Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I've checked out some of those threads and am definitely getting some good ideas. I was finding it hard to figure out what are the favorites from those threads though!

I liked The Art of Racing in the Rain (read last year) but I really loved Enslaved by Ducks and Fowl Weather (also read last year). You might want to check those out also.

Use the search function to look at the "book a week 2011" threads. I've found some real gems conversing with those ladies.

I just finished my fave book of the year today---Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (my review is here). I read The Forgotten Garden earlier in the year and liked that too.

I guess it depends what you like. On the sci fi side, I really dug The Host. If you want spiritual with a bit of humor, I recommend Breakfast with Buddha. If you want to laugh and you're not easily offended, I would go with Tina Fey's Bossypants. Or for something truly different and original, try The Art of Racing in the Rain or Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Also, wanted to ask you, what are your top favorites from your blog list? Other than the first one you mentioned, that is. I just reserved Bossypants, The Host, and Let the Great World Spin, at my library.

I *loved* Enslaved by Ducks! So funny and sweet. (Read it a couple years ago :) )

Then you must read Fowl Weather, the second book by the author Bob Tarte. I befriended him on facebook because I loved his books so much. He is coming out with a new one this spring about his cats. Love his style!

The Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I discovered this mystery series about mid-year, but it's so much more than just mystery. Great, quirky characters and such thoughtful stories of a small town and its trials. Love it and I read them as fast as I could get my greedy hands on each one from the library! lol

Some surprises: Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson

Rot & Ruin (and Dust & Decay) by Jonathan Maberry (zombies!)

Edited by 6packofun
add

Then you must read Fowl Weather, the second book by the author Bob Tarte. I befriended him on facebook because I loved his books so much. He is coming out with a new one this spring about his cats. Love his style!

Thank you so much for letting me know that! My mom loved the book, too, so this is a nice revelation! lol

I have had alot of favourites from this year. To name a few, though:

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Romancing Miss Bronte by Juliette Gaul

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte (can't remember the author)

The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

My Antonia by Willa Cather

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley

Fatu-Hiva by Thor Heyerdahl

The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs

All the Names by Jose Saramago

A Curable Romantic by Joseph Skibell

Island of the World by Michael D O'Brien was my favorite read ... and my favorite read of the year. Astounding book. I may as well have read Tolkien for the first time this year, and was awed. Jan Karon's In the Company of Others may have been my favorite of her books ... although I understand while others may not care for it.

Non-fiction, I loved Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies and The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction. Both excellent.

Home-making, A Mother's Rule of Life and The Organized Heart were really good and convicting.

Some of my favorites from this year include:

Feynman (Jim Ottaviani; graphic biography)

The Leftovers (Tom Perrotta; fiction)

In a Perfect World (Laura Kasischke; fiction)

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction (Alan Jacobs; non-fiction)

A Hope in the Unseen (Ron Suskind; non-fiction)

Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson; science fiction)

Things a Brother Knows (Dana Reinhart; YA fiction)

Model Home (Eric Puchner; fiction)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Winifred Watson; fiction)

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart

Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

The Greater Journey:Americans in Paris by David McCullough -this one is my favorite.

Are you interested in kids' books, too? One series that we found this year is The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood. Lots of fun to read!

Edited by Mothersweets

The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki Classic Japanese fiction @ upper class sisters during the dawn of WWII

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

non-fiction regarding neurology and the brain, but also questioning what 'impairment' is.

Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Kellar

Complex versions of homecooked classics

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by MT Anderson

Straight up the best Revolutionary fiction I've read, and that's even without the bizzare philosophical experiment at the heart of the novel.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Wills

Time travel? Poking fun at Victorian mores? Boating the Thames? Literary quotes galore? A devilish cat and a patient bulldog named Cecil? Oh yeah.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Final installation of Hunger Games series, deftly examines love and survival.

Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History by Penny LaConteur

Chemistry geeks who love history, unite! One of the best, truly full of information (not trivia).

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder

Non-fiction biography of the almost saint who runs an organization for the poorest of the poor in multiple countries, including AIDs work in Haiti, Peru, and Russia. The unbending morals we aren't comfortable with, the full reality of trying to save the world and its effect on one's life.

I had a really good reading year, with a lot more time than usual put into researching and choosing books. Some of the things I liked were perhaps a little obscure, but this is my list of books I could see many people enjoying as much as I did:

Day After Night – Anita Diamant

A Thousand Cuts - Simon Lelic

The Cure for Modern Life – Lisa Tucker

The Cellist of Sarajevo – Stephen Galloway

The Red Tent – Anita Diamant

The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ogawa

And I discovered two new crime series which were both a lot of fun for different reasons:

The Inspector Montalbano series – Andrea Camilleri

The Flavia de Luce series - Alan Bradley

Looking at your list of favorites, I think you would really enjoy Alex Cross's Trial, by James Patterson. I found it to be a powerful read, and am requiring my dc to read it for history.

Summary:

Ben Corbett represents the toughest cases. Fighting against oppression and racism, he risks his family and his life in the process. When President Roosevelt asks Ben to return to his home town to investigate rumors of the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan there, he cannot refuse. United by bravery When he arrives in Eudora, Mississippi, Ben meets the wise Abraham Cross and his beautiful granddaughter, Moody. Ben enlists their help, and the two Crosses introduce him to the hidden side of the idyllic Southern town. Lynchings have become commonplace and residents of the town's black quarter live in constant fear. Ben aims to break the reign of terror--but the truth of who is really behind it could break his heart. Written in the fearless voice of Detective Alex Cross, Alex Cross's Trial is a gripping story of murder, love, and, above all, bravery.

I enjoyed reading Mary Stewart's Arthurian series (beginning with The Hollow Hills, 4 books....)

I enjoyed Jane Eyre and Sense and Sensibility

I enjoyed Frankenstein and Great Expectations (especially comparing some similar elements)

I am listening to Richard Thomas read Conrad's Heart of Darkness right now and love, love, love his prose....

I am reading Guns, Germs, and Steel right now and am enjoying it immenseley, but it's not fiction....

I'm getting ready to get Javier Sierra's new book. I love his books! (The Secret Supper; The Lady in Blue; and now, the newest: The Lost Angel)....

These are the books I liked enough to note down in preparation for this thread. :)

~The Queen of Fats: Why Omega-3s Were Removed From the Western Diet and What We Can Do To Replace Them, by Susan Allport.

~Bearing Witness: The Lives of War Correspondents and Photojounalists, by Denise Leith

~Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy

~Richard Rutt's History of Handknitting.

~Sarah Addison Allen's books of cuteness

:)

Rosie

My favorites read of 2011:

The Geography of Bliss - must have read this about 3 times in the past year or so - love it.

geography+of+bliss

and these are interesting, since they're the last few that I have read, literally almost back-to-back. It was a good month or two! :)

Confessions of a Prairie B*tch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated

1000453400_MD.gif

Middlesex

middlesex-200x300.jpg

The Poisonwood Bible

6a00e55455c93588330147e291a894970b-200wi

Mindset

41ejRNz7%2BlL._SS200.jpg

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Stacia, how do you get all of yours to look so nice? :tongue_smilie: I want mine to look as nice as yours. :lol: :grouphug: You and my dh are my favorite computer whizzes. :D

:lol: After much trial & error (& probably a good part of anal-retentiveness on my part), I've learned that the book cover sizes on the goodreads site & on the B&N site are (usually) good ones for posting on forums like this. (So, I pull up the book on one of those sites, right click on the photo of the cover, open the 'Properties', copy the url address, then use that address for posting the photo here.)

:lol: After much trial & error (& probably a good part of anal-retentiveness on my part), I've learned that the book cover sizes on the goodreads site & on the B&N site are (usually) good ones for posting on forums like this. (So, I pull up the book on one of those sites, right click on the photo of the cover, open the 'Properties', copy the url address, then use that address for posting the photo here.)

Stacia, thank you so much.

Nice to know that I'm not the only anal-retentive one :D :lol:.

One I have not seen mentioned:

Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Terri, for years, I keep adding this to my wish list and then taking it off. Not sure if I'll like it or not. :tongue_smilie: