Menu

Induction scheduled...

***CANCELLED*** Along w/ all the scare tactics all the websites said they would use. Ugh! Off to buy herbs in the meantime. Thanks, everybody.

The limit at this mw practice is 10 days, not 2 weeks, so unless baby comes sooner, Sunday will be his bday.

They were surprised to see that there's no evidence of impending labor *at all.* I got to choose between tomorrow & Monday (or the weekend).

The good part--I loved the mw I saw today & picked the day she's on call, so she'll deliver the baby.

The bad part--it's weird to go from homebirth, one mw delivering all 4 babies, to something so medical. I think I'd be more upset about their 10 day limit if a) I hadn't sort of expected it all along, b) there's no indication anything is going on, & c) it hadn't already occurred to me that the size of the baby could be an issue w/ going so late.

My plan has been to go w/ the flow. I still think that's the wisest thing to do. But...I'm kind-of freaked, too.

Edited by Aubrey

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug::grouphug:I hope it all works out. Are you thinking about an epidural? I had pitocin with dd, and when I had dilated all the way to 4cm from 3, in 4 hours, I cried uncle and asked for an epidural. But the anesthesiologist was busy, and they had to give a liter of fluids. By the time the anesth. walked in the room an hour later, I had to push! So no epidural, thank goodness.

:grouphug: There are ways to make an induction gentler like starting with a low dose and increasing slowly. It's also possible to turn the pitocin off once thugs get going. I hope things go well. I'm glad you'll be with a mw you like.

I have to go in the night before for *ripening.* Honestly? That part sounds pretty scary. And I hate to have that long to IMAGINE.

It's all so medical. Which I'm totally in favor of when necessary. And I at least think I'm in a gray area where it's not completely unreasonable.

And having had the 1st two babies really fast, I assume the pit will be comparable to that, pain-wise. Which isn't saying much--those were awesomely painful births.

But it makes me question my other choices. If I'm being induced, why not pain killer? And I find myself kind-of lost wrt my usual answers. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug::grouphug:I hope it all works out. Are you thinking about an epidural? I had pitocin with dd, and when I had dilated all the way to 4cm from 3, in 4 hours, I cried uncle and asked for an epidural. But the anesthesiologist was busy, and they had to give a liter of fluids. By the time the anesth. walked in the room an hour later, I had to push! So no epidural, thank goodness.

I hate needles, & I don't think I could ever get my head around having one in my spine. But my sis just had a baby & had some kind of twilight anesthesia. I admit wondering about that. She came home *glowing* about how easy & painless the whole thing was. She even helped host a ball a day or two after coming home. :001_huh: But she's crazy. :lol:

:grouphug:I know it seems weird to do an induced birth after your previous experiences; maybe at least you'll feel like you can sorta take a sigh of relief, you know when baby will be here now.:grouphug:

Yeah, I just hope it's the right decision. I wanted to go home & think about it, & she wanted me to schedule it right then. I don't like being pressured like that, & if dh hadn't been w/ me & I hadn't seen it coming, I would have insisted on waiting. But I didn't.

I have to go in the night before for *ripening.* Honestly? That part sounds pretty scary. And I hate to have that long to IMAGINE.

It's all so medical. Which I'm totally in favor of when necessary. And I at least think I'm in a gray area where it's not completely unreasonable.

And having had the 1st two babies really fast, I assume the pit will be comparable to that, pain-wise. Which isn't saying much--those were awesomely painful births.

But it makes me question my other choices. If I'm being induced, why not pain killer? And I find myself kind-of lost wrt my usual answers. :tongue_smilie:

Well, the ripening agents could do the trick. You might want to read up on the various options. I'd personally avoid misoprotisol (Cytotec) and would opt for Cervidil or Prepidil instead. Cytotec can make things go with a bang, especially when dosed too high.

I'd consider an epidural in an induction situation, even though that's not my first choice for a normal birth. If you want to, that's your business. :)

FWIW "ripening" sent me into labor 3 times. Once it was gel, once stripped membranes and once cytotec. So. . . you could end up not having the pit.

Anne

Ripening sent me into labour twice. I also prepped myself as well as I could with nipple stimulation and taking Evening Primrose Oil and Acupuncture. All those things definitely helped my 3rd induction to be the smoothest.

But I only had pit the first time, the other two times they just broke my waters and it was all on.

All the best! Induction isn't so bad.

Yeah, I just hope it's the right decision. I wanted to go home & think about it, & she wanted me to schedule it right then. I don't like being pressured like that, & if dh hadn't been w/ me & I hadn't seen it coming, I would have insisted on waiting. But I didn't.

:grouphug: You can still think about it. If you decide come Monday that this isn't the right decision for you, nobody is going to come around and drag you kicking and screaming to the hospital :) Hopefully it will just happen spontaneously over the weekend!

:grouphug: You can still think about it. If you decide come Monday that this isn't the right decision for you, nobody is going to come around and drag you kicking and screaming to the hospital :) Hopefully it will just happen spontaneously over the weekend!

But I have to be there on Sat, lol. There's no one to call to cancel over the weekend.

On a brighter note, someone here said their bday was 11/6. It seems like it was k2bdeutemeyer & justamouse both--I can't remember for sure. That's a nice little silver lining. :001_smile:

But I have to be there on Sat, lol. There's no one to call to cancel over the weekend.

On a brighter note, someone here said their bday was 11/6. It seems like it was k2bdeutemeyer & justamouse both--I can't remember for sure. That's a nice little silver lining. :001_smile:

:grouphug: I hope it all goes well for you. I've had 2 inductions, an emergency C-section, and a planned C-section. Nothing has ever put me into labor, but maybe it will for you. And Sunday is my birthday, too. It's a good one.:)

ETA that even though the ripening didn't work for me, it wasn't nearly as scary as it sounded. (or as I imagined!)

Edited by Sugarfoot

I've had 4 inductions and I've already told my OB that we'll be inducing #5. I only had an epidural with #1 and..well..that was #1 so it doesn't count, right?? Inductions are no big deal! This way there is no chance of DH missing the delivery!

:grouphug:

Oops, I read that you had the choice of Monday, but missed that you picked Sunday :D But if you decide against it, just call L&D at the hospital and tell them. They'll let the MW know!

And please know, I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. Just letting you know it's not set in stone if you think it over and don't feel right about it. Good luck!

Oops, I read that you had the choice of Monday, but missed that you picked Sunday :D But if you decide against it, just call L&D at the hospital and tell them. They'll let the MW know!

And please know, I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. Just letting you know it's not set in stone if you think it over and don't feel right about it. Good luck!

Good to know. I hate to make them mad, though. :001_unsure:

Good to know. I hate to make them mad, though. :001_unsure:

If the choice is your health, or your baby's health, or making a midwife who won't remember you tomorrow mad, the option is obvious. If you think induction is the right thing for your baby, then do it. But don't do it because other people want you to. You are a big girl, and get to make those decisions for yourself. In fact, you have a responsibility to do so. If the induction doesn't go well, and you only did it to keep the peace with the midwife, how will you feel? Trust me, that midwife will not even be thinking about it next week, and by the time you go in for your checkup will have totally forgotten. They have all been overbooked anyway I bet, so would appreciate the extra time, lol.

Many women call with a "family emergency" the day of their induction, and have to reschedule. Or say they will call to reschedule on monday. Your practice can SAY they have a 10 days late policy, but that really isn't binding at all. They legally can't drop you from the practice at this point, and can't force you to be induced. You have to give informed consent.

My baby was 11 days late, and I see no reason why I should have tried to force her out a day earlier with lots of chemicals that have serious risks. Her size was big, but it would have been big the day before too, you know? And I'm only 5 ft tall (exactly) and had NO problems pushing out her 9lb body, my first vaginal birth. It seems silly to induce at 10 days post EDD instead of 14 days post EDD just because of size....how much difference do they think 4 days will make really?

Induction seems easy, and it can go wonderfully. But it does carry risks, and you need to make sure that YOU believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I know too many women that were promised an easy induction that led to a c-section because the baby couldn't handle the medications, or the drugs didn't work and since they were already checked in and on the clock there was no going back.

Again, if YOU think this is the best decision, and that it would be dangerous to wait a few more days, then do it. But if you dont think it is the absolute best, right thing, just don't do it.

Just call the hospital, they will handle it. You don't have to have a medical procedure just out of proper etiquitte.

was born on my birthday, and I actually feel like his aunt Dana. So yes, definitely having this baby born on a board member's birthday might create a special feeling:)

Edited by Danestress

If the choice is your health, or your baby's health, or making a midwife who won't remember you tomorrow mad, the option is obvious. If you think induction is the right thing for your baby, then do it. But don't do it because other people want you to. You are a big girl, and get to make those decisions for yourself. In fact, you have a responsibility to do so. If the induction doesn't go well, and you only did it to keep the peace with the midwife, how will you feel? Trust me, that midwife will not even be thinking about it next week, and by the time you go in for your checkup will have totally forgotten. They have all been overbooked anyway I bet, so would appreciate the extra time, lol.

Normally, I'd agree w/ this. And if I thought that the health of the baby or myself would be influenced one way or the other, I'd say so. In this case, I think induction on Sun is reasonable but not necessary. A gray area. I'd prefer to wait a few more days, but I'm opting to go along w/ Sun for several reasons: someone is avail to watch the kids, dh is avail (until that eve), the mw I've liked so far is on duty, & MOST OF ALL, there's not another mw group avail. It's easier on ME to be induced a few days earlier than I'd prefer than to deal w/ tension. It's just my personality, & I do think the baby & I will be healthier w/ a tension-free birth.

I hope that's not too lame, but it's not just that I'm letting someone bully me into induction. It's only a little bit that. :lol:

My baby was 11 days late, and I see no reason why I should have tried to force her out a day earlier with lots of chemicals that have serious risks. Her size was big, but it would have been big the day before too, you know? And I'm only 5 ft tall (exactly) and had NO problems pushing out her 9lb body, my first vaginal birth. It seems silly to induce at 10 days post EDD instead of 14 days post EDD just because of size....how much difference do they think 4 days will make really?

They didn't say it was about size, just their standard practice. But I'd anticipated being told they'd induce sooner because my previous babies have been big. 9.8 on their due date. I think it's supposed to be an extra 1/2 lb per week? I'm not even saying I agree, just that it doesn't seem wildly unreasonable to me.

If I thought I were going to go into labor naturally, I think I'd have been pushier w/ waiting, but I've wondered the whole pg if this wouldn't end this way. Not necessarily logical, but does make it easier to...go along w/ whatever.

Induction seems easy, and it can go wonderfully. But it does carry risks, and you need to make sure that YOU believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I know too many women that were promised an easy induction that led to a c-section because the baby couldn't handle the medications, or the drugs didn't work and since they were already checked in and on the clock there was no going back.

I've expected from the beginning that this one would end up a c-section. I hope I'm wrong, but I do realize there are risks--both w/ inducing & w/ not inducing, depending on the circumstances. I know enough about induction to think my sis, who is voluntarily induced 2 weeks BEFORE her due date w/ ea baby is crazy, but not enough to feel that 10 days past should be a strong NO.

Again, if YOU think this is the best decision, and that it would be dangerous to wait a few more days, then do it. But if you dont think it is the absolute best, right thing, just don't do it.

I think it's dangerous to wait too long. I think the line has to be drawn somewhere. I don't think I know enough to know where the line should be drawn exactly. Before the due date, w/out reason, seems too soon to me, for sure. A week after, w/out reason, seems too soon.

After that? I don't know. I guess I'm making a choice to trust the medical expertise of the mw's, but even that--well--I chose them because they're the only ones in town. Not because I think they're the be-all & end-all.

I'm a pessimist & a conspiracy-theorist & a person who scowls. (There was some other word there, but I can't remember it.) But I also tend to think things generally work out. The mw's don't seem incompetent or stupid. I'm not sure this is the BEST choice, but it doesn't seem like a BAD one.

I mainly wish I'd been told sooner that they had a 10-day limit. I called a friend, though, & she said few dr's will "let" women go to 14 days (what I'd thought was standard) & none will let you go longer.

I don't know. If it were up to me, I'd take my former mw up on her suggestion & fly home to let her deliver this baby. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, you guys who say not to do it out of politeness, would YOU do it? Maybe I should start a new thread. When to induce?

No, personally I wouldn't. I'd wait a bit longer.

But it's not my baby, it's yours. And if you are comfortable doing it on Sunday then that's what you should do. The right answer is the one that's right for you for your reasons, not anyone else for their reasons.

Edited by keptwoman

they'll give you some cream and see if that dilates you. Then they'll crochet hook you and give your body some time to git goin. THEN, after that, they'll give you pict.

My B-day? Today. *g* You still ahve a few hours! Do jumping jacks!

Ok, you guys who say not to do it out of politeness, would YOU do it? Maybe I should start a new thread. When to induce?

Are you looking for new reasons to feel guilty? We don't want to help you feel guilty for inducing, for not inducing, or for thinking about either!

:p

Rosie

Well, I've never made it to my due date (*ducks*), so I would be concerned if one of my babies stayed in for more than a week or so past my due date. I wouldn't induce out of politeness, but if I didn't feel strongly about not doing it, I would likely go along, especially considering the other stuff going on in your life. Being stressed out doesn't tend to send mamas into labor, kwim?

Sometimes mamas relax and go into labor on their own once that induction date is set. :grouphug:

I think it's dangerous to wait too long. I think the line has to be drawn somewhere. I don't think I know enough to know where the line should be drawn exactly. Before the due date, w/out reason, seems too soon to me, for sure. A week after, w/out reason, seems too soon.

After that? I don't know. I guess I'm making a choice to trust the medical expertise of the mw's, but even that--well--I chose them because they're the only ones in town. Not because I think they're the be-all & end-all.

I'm a pessimist & a conspiracy-theorist & a person who scowls. (There was some other word there, but I can't remember it.) But I also tend to think things generally work out. The mw's don't seem incompetent or stupid. I'm not sure this is the BEST choice, but it doesn't seem like a BAD one.

I mainly wish I'd been told sooner that they had a 10-day limit. I called a friend, though, & she said few dr's will "let" women go to 14 days (what I'd thought was standard) & none will let you go longer.

I don't know. If it were up to me, I'd take my former mw up on her suggestion & fly home to let her deliver this baby. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, well, normal is up to 2 weeks after. The ACOG guidelines are to wait 2 weeks. You are not even "post dates" until 2 weeks after your EDD. Personally, I would not consider induction before that, although I did do a biophysical profile at 41 weeks. If the baby had not come before 42 weeks I would have had another, and then conferred with the OB that works with my MW. If the results are good we would have gone to every other day BPP. But I could understand being uncomfortable with that and inducing at 42 weeks. Before that I see no point. And I do see risk.

As for baby size, I see no reason to even be worried...heck, a friend had an almost 11 pound baby the other day, no issues. You have a proven pelvis, so whatever, no issues.

Good luck!

Are you looking for new reasons to feel guilty? We don't want to help you feel guilty for inducing, for not inducing, or for thinking about either!

:p

Rosie

Guilt is definitely my area of expertise. No, if I need to rethink this...if it's worth upsetting the balance of things...I just realized tomorrow is Friday. I could call the office & cancel if I needed to...

I just can't figure out if I care or if I'm just nervous. I mean, I was nervous like this when I married dh, not because I was worried that I was doing the wrong thing but because I was doing a BIG thing, kwim? If that's all that's going on, I should just go this weekend as scheduled. If there's a good reason to wait...if the nagging feeling isn't *just* nerves, I should call.

I just wish they'd have said, "Sure. Call us tomorrow & let us know what you want to do!" Or that I'd scheduled it FOR tomorrow so there'd be less time to worry about it. :tongue_smilie:

For me, it is when the risk of staying in is higher than the risk of the induction meds. I don't take drugs while pregnant, and induction drugs are drugs. I avoid them unless the benefit is proven. For me I said that would depend on things like BPP, my bishops score, etc. But certainly not before 42 weeks without a real reason.

Oh and as for tension, just leave a message, or have hubby field the calls. They are not going to drive you your house to find you. And by the time they see you again you will be in labor, so the point is moot, lol. She isn't going to yell at you then!

And by the time they see you again you will be in labor, so the point is moot, lol. She isn't going to yell at you then!

Something about me makes people want to confide their darkest secrets or yell. I've been yelled at by a dentist, a nurse, & a mw. Total strangers tell me about their affairs & murders. I wish I were exaggerating, but it *is* something I try to consider when I know I'm going to be in a compromised state. :lol:

It's a hard decision. There's definitely something nice about having a date and having things figured out, but intervention comes with its own issues. It's also very likely that just going in Saturday evening for prep will send you into labor (that happened to me). I don't want to sway you, so I won't tell you my thoughts on that. :) Either way, you know you'll be holding that precious new baby very soon!

Sarah

Baby - yay ! Praying your tales of labor will be boring. :D

Well, I've never figured out a boring way to tell about anything. ;) But here's to having no help w/ that! :D

Dh & I are going to talk some more tonight after the dc are in bed. In the meantime, I'm looking up info online. I think that's the part that bugs me most--the *complete* lack of education. You know, w/ natural birth, they give you so much info, you could almost go into the mw business yourself. (Joking)

W/ this...they just expect you to already know or be uncurious or something. IF you ask the right questions, you can get SOME info. *sigh*

Oh, & webmd says that a person should be induced between 41-42 weeks because risks increase after 42 weeks. I'm sure opinions vary on that, but at least it indicates that the mw's didn't just pull 10 days out of the air.

*I* wouldn't do it, but I am not you! It does sound like you have a lot of other reasons why Sunday works out all right for you. And if knowing that your DH can be there and that the kids are well cared for, and that you have a MW who does not annoy you available that day will make you a more comfortable delivering mama, then that could certainly outweigh the concerns of inducing. Like you say, it's not as if you are inducing two weeks early or something. No matter what, this baby will be born in the next week or so! So in this case, a convenient induction could be the ideal option.

If I did decide to induce, I'd certainly be spending the next few days ripening things as much as I could myself though! ;)

Can't wait to hear all about your new baby!!

The limit at this mw practice is 10 days, not 2 weeks, so unless baby comes sooner, Sunday will be his bday.

They were surprised to see that there's no evidence of impending labor *at all.* I got to choose between tomorrow & Monday (or the weekend).

The good part--I loved the mw I saw today & picked the day she's on call, so she'll deliver the baby.

The bad part--it's weird to go from homebirth, one mw delivering all 4 babies, to something so medical. I think I'd be more upset about their 10 day limit if a) I hadn't sort of expected it all along, b) there's no indication anything is going on, & c) it hadn't already occurred to me that the size of the baby could be an issue w/ going so late.

My plan has been to go w/ the flow. I still think that's the wisest thing to do. But...I'm kind-of freaked, too.

I had a great birth following a dose of castor oil. Contrary to what some believe, it does NOT get into your bloodstream, get passed to the baby, and cause the baby to have a BM. It acts within your own digestive system only. My midwife suggested it, saying it wouldn't make a baby come that wasn't ready. I read up and it seemed most people were having the baby in about 12 hours. I took it at 4, went into labor at 8, and had the baby at 4 the next morning. A super, super easy birth too. The fact that I'd taken the castor oil made the waterbirth clean too.

If there's a good reason to wait...if the nagging feeling isn't *just* nerves, I should call.

Rather than asking "is there a good reason to wait", how about asking, "is there a good reason to induce?"

Pretend it isn't scheduled, pretend your midwife has no opinion on the matter. Then what would your choice be, based on the evidence as you know it? That is what matters.