Menu

Help me spend $200 on books for my village

I live in a Native village in Alaska with only about 80 people. The only "library" is in the school, and to my knowledge no one in the community uses it. The culture here is not focused on academics and most families don't have any books in the home. The adults who went through school here most likely did not read what one would consider typical HS books. One lovely, smart young woman just gave the school a $50 GC to B&N because she'd had it for two years and didn't think she'd ever use it because she doesn't need books. :001_huh:

There is a tribal office here that is supposed to be a community center, and they have authorized my husband to spend $200 at Amazon on books for the community. He knew I'd love this challenge, and I figured some of you here might enjoy helping. :)

We're thinking of high-interest books at about a high-school level. The kids already have the library at school so the content can include adult themes. I'm thinking there should be a few categories to appeal to different types of readers, but it should all be pretty accessible.

My main objective is to choose books that will get read - no sense in an inaccessible book sitting on the shelf - but not just fluff. I'm clueless on the manly books, so I'm just guessing. My husband only reads nonfiction. With the 4-for-3 promotion I should be able to get about 30 books. Tell me what you'd strike of this list (too much work to read, or not interesting enough) and what you'd add.

"Book Club" Type books

Secret Life of Bees

The Help

The Time Traveler's Wife

The House on Mango Street

The Lovely Bones

The Kite Runner

Water for Elephants

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Books Men Would Read

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire (HG)

Mockingjay (HG)

In Cold Blood

No Country for Old Men

Pillars of the Earth

Stephen King - short stories?

Classics Everyone Else Read in High School

The Outsiders

The Chocolate War

Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl

Animal Farm

Things Fall Apart

Brave New World

Fahrenheit 451

Lord of the Flies

The Catcher in the Rye

To Kill a Mockingbird

Edited by ondreeuh

Have you thought about including a couple books by local (in state) authors, maybe even a native. My thought is that they may be inspired to pick up a book if they see something written by some one like themselves, you know a shared history. One I know many people have enjoyed is Shadows on the Koyakuk: An Alaska Natives Life Along the River

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Koyukuk-Alaskan-Natives-Along/dp/088240427X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319915969&sr=8-2

I personally am not a big fan of modern classics, even though I've read most of the books on your list. I'm concerned that in a village where you say people don't read much, so don't have much context, many of these might not get read. Some thoughts: What about HP? I consider it not a challenging series, but it's rip roaring fun and boys and girls (men and women for that matter) can enjoy it. My kids and I have loved fairy tale compilations, would you consider one of them (take your pick) for the collection? I'm thinking "stories" that are fun, gender-neutral (more bang for the buck), but have some redeeming value and are not total fluff, as you say.

Do you think people RA to their kids much there? If not, I'd work on encouraging that as a means of "social change."

I would add in some Alaska adventure type books. Maybe some non fiction books of common interest to the community. Many of the books you've mentioned need some historical background to understand well. I would start with getting people reading first. This doesn't have to be the last $200.00 of books you buy. What a cool project!

Have you thought about including a couple books by local (in state) authors, maybe even a native. My thought is that they may be inspired to pick up a book if they see something written by some one like themselves, you know a shared history. One I know many people have enjoyed is Shadows on the Koyakuk: An Alaska Natives Life Along the River

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Koyukuk-Alaskan-Natives-Along/dp/088240427X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319915969&sr=8-2

The school library is full of those books. I think that was the focus in the school for a long time - make reading "relevant." Living here is a bit like living in a bubble and I think there is a real need to expand the options here. There's nothing these people don't know about a subsistence lifestyle.

I personally am not a big fan of modern classics, even though I've read most of the books on your list. I'm concerned that in a village where you say people don't read much, so don't have much context, many of these might not get read. Some thoughts: What about HP? I consider it not a challenging series, but it's rip roaring fun and boys and girls (men and women for that matter) can enjoy it. My kids and I have loved fairy tale compilations, would you consider one of them (take your pick) for the collection? I'm thinking "stories" that are fun, gender-neutral (more bang for the buck), but have some redeeming value and are not total fluff, as you say.

Do you think people RA to their kids much there? If not, I'd work on encouraging that as a means of "social change."

No, they don't read aloud. Dh wanted to make RAs a daily part of his class, but the kids are only in school for 5.5 hours and he can't fit in in among the other requirements (like daily PE).

How would you encourage families to read aloud? I applied for a job as a home-school liaison and have my interview on Monday. That would be something I could work with families on.

Which fun books do you recommend? I'm wary of going too young, because I'm not sure adults here would read them for themselves and they won't read them to their kids. The kids can access those books at the school library.

:iagree:This is what I was thinking. If they are not big readers, they will not enjoy the classics. I would stick with fun fiction for now. I really like the first list group.

I personally wouldn't read any of those classic books by choice. They were drudgery in school and I would hate to have those be the first exposure to "fun reading" that these people have. Not that they don't have their place in society, but I'd much rather pick up a great fiction story that drew me in.

I'd go with more current popular fiction. Narnia, LOTR, HP, those all would be fun reads for any age. I'm a romance kinda reader so I can't say what the popular fiction books are, but I do know I would rather not read anything at all than read those classics.

Dh just told me that they already spent $300 through Scholastic and bought the Chronicles of Narnia, Lightning Thief series, the New Rick Riordan series, and a bunch more he can't remember. :glare:

So I think I can focus on more of the book club types. What about book club titles that men would read?

Could you do any magazine subscriptions? I know you're probably looking for more traditional reading materials, but men are more likely to pick up a magazine about something they're interested in - cars, home repairs, fishing, etc.. This would also give them the anticipation of the next month's articles and they would likely talk with each other about what they've read. I'd ask around about things they'd be interested in reading about. Just a thought.

I don't know enough about the culture to know reading tastes honestly.

But I as an adult avid reader am not drawn to classics at all and don't know that many of my friends are either.

Do the adults knits/craft/sew/work on cars/hunt/cook? What about some nonfiction in there too? My DH only reads nonfiction pretty much, and I do too other than the kids books I read to or with them.

Can you do Amazon used books? Wondering if you could get 2x as many for your money.

What about audio books? Would they play them for their kids even if they didn't want to read aloud? I hear that is popular in some groups locally where the parents don't feel they are strong readers themselves.

But I as an adult avid reader am not drawn to classics at all and don't know that many of my friends are either.

Do the adults knits/craft/sew/work on cars/hunt/cook? What about some nonfiction in there too? My DH only reads nonfiction pretty much, and I do too other than the kids books I read to or with them.

What about audio books? Would they play them for their kids even if they didn't want to read aloud? I hear that is popular in some groups locally where the parents don't feel they are strong readers themselves.

:iagree: I look for easy reads most of the time when I read, even though I majored in English at uni. Dh only reads non-fiction. If RAs isn't a part of regular family life in your area I would strongly suggest audio books. Audio books would make great literature available to all levels of readers. I would suggest the Hobbit & LOTR series, Jim Weiss storytelling cds, Henty books (Jim Weiss or Jim Hodges), & Beowulf (read by Seamus Heaney) is wonderful. A lot of native cultures have storytelling as a way of keeping the oral history alive. Audio books would be a great way to slowly develop a love of great literature. The long winter nights are great for listening to stories.

As far as getting parents to read aloud to their dc...would sending home a monthly RA from the school library to each family as "homework" be an idea. Your dh could recommend a book that would be of interest to all the dc in the family & a children's book may be less intimidating than many of the books on your list for non-reading parents. If they think it's "homework" they may read. You could include a page for a family book review that could be put in the school library as a resource for other families when choosing RAs. The first step in developing a culture of reading in your community is getting the stories into the homes, whether in books or audiobooks.

JMHO,

A few high interest magazine subscriptions would be really great.

I also think that you need to consider the length. If someone isn't used to reading, then a 500 page Stephen King might seem a bit overwhelming.

Having said that, I'd add Dean Koontz to the list. I think the books in the "Odd Thomas" series are relatively short.

Also, don't forget humor and sports.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but how about some category romance novels ("harlequins") for the women? Yeah, yeah I know. They're not "great literature," but they're easy to read, fun and relatively short. Consider them a gateway drug to the world of reading :) You could probably get more than you'll need donated, so you won't have to spend any of your book budget on them.

When I first read your post it made me feel like crying. I just cannot imagine a world without books. What's worse is that they don't seem to realize what they're missing. So sad :(

This is kind of going beyond the scope of your OP, and I'm not sure what it would cost to ship them or how long it would take, but are you interested in donations of used books?

I don't think of The Hunger Games as a "guy" book... maybe I'm wrong???

More like Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton...

In general, I would say that if you want books people will really read, then the bestselling "book club" kind of stuff is a good start, but genre fiction will be an even better hook. Mysteries, romances, and scifi/fantasy. Toss in some Game of Thrones, some Diana Galbaldon... and so forth. It doesn't have to be pure junk - many Genre Fiction things are excellent.

The other thing you might consider is pop nonfiction - but stuff with some staying power... Guns, Germs, Steel, Omnivore's Dilemma kinds of things.

My 15yo dd seconds the Hunger Games suggestion, and "some Shakespeare stuff". As described, it doesn't sound like they'd be inclined to pick up an unabridge Shakespeare novel, but perhaps some of the children's or middle-schooler's editions that make it easy and interesting would hook them on it. There are all kinds of abridgements ranging from Lamb's and Nesbit's retellings to Bruce Coville or Lois Burdett's illustrated children's versions and even graphic novels. I don't know if people would pick them up or not, and if it's worth the precious little money to find out.

If they've got the Riordan books on the way, then maybe some further (easy) reading on Greek mythology? Does the library already have some poetry and DK-type nonfiction stuff, too? There is an unabridged version of The Hobbit that is in larger font with illustrations, which made it accessible for my middle child who thought it "too hard" when faced with the thick, fine-print paperback.

PM me with the school address if you're comfortable doing so - I'd like to put together a "care package" from one AK community to another, maybe for Christmas. Between schools, homeschoolers and just regular folks here, I'm sure there are plenty of unused books & educational materials gathering dust that could be put to use.

I want to second including some good non-fiction.

What are people interested in? In some towns a book on small engine repair would trump In Cold Blood any day.

Travel fiction. Cooking. Repair. Biographies.

I'd also include a few more adventure novels, thrillers, horror, graphic novels, and science fiction.

Suggestions:

How to Cook Everything

Joy of Cooking

Kon-tiki: across the Pacific on a raft

Wild Swans: 3 Daughters of China

Into Thin Air

Ender's Game

something by Terry Pratchett

World War Z

The Bachman books (King)

a thriller like Silence of the Lambs or Jurassic Park

One lovely, smart young woman just gave the school a $50 GC to B&N because she'd had it for two years and didn't think she'd ever use it because she doesn't need books. :001_huh:

As a side note...

She may not need them. :) Some people honestly don't. They have storytelling traditions in their family or community and learn by living and don't have time to sit down with a book or enjoy other hobbies.

Yes, I love books but in the last couple of years especially I've come to know some very intelligent people who lead rich lives and simply don't read much. Yes, most of the people I know who don't read or have many books in their house Are filling their spare time with nothing much of value but if the young woman in question is lovely and smart I wouldn't despair too much for her. :)

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand.

My DH, brother and BIL all read Terry Pratchet and Clive Cussler. But DH says he doesn't read anything most men would like, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm just trying to get past the fact that they don't read. No library. I can't even imagine. All these years I've envisioned Alaskans hunkering down in their houses in the winter, cozied up to a warm fire, with a book in their hands. What an image destroyer. :)

Edited by lisamarie

All these years I've envisioned Alaskans hunkering down in their houses in the winter, cozied up to a warm fire, with a book in their hands. What an image destroyer. :)

This is just how it is in one place in AK. The interior (Fairbanks & surrounding areas) and Anchorage have plenty of books & libraries and even universities. The shocker for me in this thread is just how terribly NCLB fails Alaska village/bush kids.

Books for men can be hard. Someone suggested the Henty books, which I don't think would really work myself. I also think Pillars of the Earth might be more of a woman's book. I would suggest something like Bernard Cornwell. A few books from the Sharpe series might go over well. Or something like Ian Rankin detective novels, or maybe a few Issac Asimov things. Even a couple of Westerns. Genre fiction is usually a good bet for popular reading.

Another series that might work well for women could be The #1 Ladies Detective Agency, or even Agatha Christi.

Before you spend that $200, I wonder if you could contact Amazon or other companies to see if they would be willing to work with you. Given the cause, they might be willing to help you find wholesale prices, matching monies, etc.

I'd definitely put out some feelers anyway.

I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about but it was my first thought.

I agree with Clive Cussler. Even women will read them. :)

Any audio books by Jim Dale. Harry Potter read by Jim Dale is FANTASTIC!

The Dresdon Files series.

My dh is going through the Master and Commander books right now.

Any Bill Bryson books are great plus very funny. Those are good "expand your horizons" books with humor.

Have you asked? It might start a fun discussion in the community about books, reading, what they've read that they liked, what they didn't like, etc. Or have dh have the kids do a survey. Ask folks what they've read that was interesting to them. Do they read online? Do they read magazines? What are their interests? What do they want to know more about?

I also liked the "matching funds" suggestion.

If it were me, I'd do some how-to, some quality pop culture (HP), some romance (Bridget Jones), some Native-themed stuff, and some audio books.

If they have the equipment to do audio, perhaps supplement with some Librivox and perhaps relevant podcasts - CBC's The North This Week is all about northern Canadian communities and is very good. Lots of coverage of Native issues, cultural stuff, remote living, and so on. Audio can be listened to when working; much easier to find time for it.

But I don't know these folks. You want the books to be read, not just sit there. So ask.