Menu

what are you using (or did you use) for 5th grade?

mytwomonkeys

I am stressed about 5th grade next year too. I just got grammar stage down :)

So far I am planning for sure:

Rod and Staff 6th grade math

Rod and Staff 6th grade spelling

Rod and Staff 5th grade English

do they have 5th grade penmanship??? Not sure. I don't mind having her practice once in awhile if they do.

Rod and Staff music workbook

Latin: First Form

History: Probably going with straight Well Trained Mind using the Kingfisher encyclopedia and studying the ancients. Little sis will be in SOTW vol.1 so she will listen in and do activities. We also have Famous Men of Rome and will use the library.

Science: ??? leaning towards ClassicQuest biology, but gun shy about the $ for everything I will need. But science is going to cost no matter what next year unless miraculously our co-op is doing exactly what I need, but I doubt it. They seem to be a straight Apologia crowd.

Logic: ?? haven't started researching yet.

Writing: ?? Considering a curric for the first time. So far we have done WTM style across the curric and R&S, but I think we need more for next year.

Art: We are in Drawing with Children. I don't know if we will finish it and move on or not. If so, I will see what WTM suggests for logic stage.

We are using:

MFW ECC (will be finishing this soon and going on to CtG - started in Jan.)

MM 4A/4B

ILL

Spelling Wisdom Bk 2

Writing Strands 3 (will be finishing this and going on to 4)

Picture Study Portfolios

The Learnables Spanish

Various book lists for literature

She takes dance and choir

What am I forgetting? I know this isn't our whole list...

:bigear: Just thinking about next year too

I am planning on:

HOD CTC

MM5

R&S5

WWS (?) dont know if she'll be ready for this, but we detest WWE4 and I just dont know what else I would use.

SOTW CD's

and my big debate is using Apologia as scheduled or using Elemental logic stage Bio.

Thanks for starting this thread! I am going to shortly be posting one on CTC :001_smile:

I posted this on another thread (our plans for next year)

Math: Assuming DS finishes at least SM 5 by next September (we school year round) we will move into either Derek Owen's Pre-Algebra or AoPS.

Writing: Writing With Skill Level 1, Bravewriter

Grammar: Unsure if we'll take a year off from GWG. He will have finished GWG 5 and is learning a lot of grammar through Henle. Continue Daily Editing.

Spelling: Either nothing or Spelling Power.

Latin: Continue with Henle

History: K12 Human Odyssey

Science: Either CPO Earth Science or BFSU Vol 2.

Vocab: Either continue Vocab Workshop or decide Latin is sufficient.

Geography: Creek Edge Press task cards?

Logic: Continue Building Thinking Skills, chess.

Music: Piano and Music Theory

Artist Study: Creek Edge Task Cards

Edited by Halcyon

Who doesn't love a good curriculum thread?

My oldest ds's 5th grade year was two years ago.... generally speaking.... I think this is what he did...

Bible - BSF John

History and Literature - Story of Ancient World, Story of Greeks, Story of Romans, and LOTS of other books. (Some from AO year 6) (We dabbled a bit with WTM's recommendation of listing facts from Kingfisher, etc., but we didn't keep that up for very long). I think we also did part of an Upper Grammar Lit. Guide from Logos.

English - part of FLL4, Started CLE LA 500, SWO, Written narrations and summaries, dictation, single level outlining

Science - Read a few selections from Amblesideonline, Tiner's Exploring World of Biology

Math - I think we did some of Singapore 4 and some of CLE 500

Latin - GSWL

Chess

Classical Conversations Cycle 1, I think. It was the last year we did CC.

Did I like my choices at the end of the year? The best thing I did was let him read and read and read. I worried the whole year about writing and output, but in hindsight we made progress. Science is never something to brag about here. I liked the Tiner book, but it was challenging for him. FLL 4 we started in the spring of 4th grade year, so we needed to finish it as 5th grade started, but it was way too easy for him. We did over half of it. CLE LA 500 was challenging, but we didn't stick with it the following year because it was taking more time than either one of us wanted it to. SWO got done - that's about all I can say about that. CLE math was very good for him.

For my next 5th grader - I will probably have a lighter reading load for history and literature (he's a stronger math student and not a book-a-holic like his older brother). I plan to stick with R&S English which we started this year. I might use some of WWS, but possibly not full pace. I will stick with CLE for math. Not sure what we'll do for science.

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Literature: BJU Reading

Reading: Tons of grade-level books

Grammar: Learning English with the Bible Diagramming

Composition: Winning with Writing

Science: Abeka, supplemented

History: BJU supplemented heavily

Spelling: Abeka

Penmanship: A Reason for Handwriting

Latin: Cambridge Latin

Greek: Biblical Greek 4 Kids

Geography: Maps Charts Graphs

Health: Abeka

Saxon 6/5 Math

First Language Lessons Level 4 (will complete soon and then I'm not sure what to use next for grammar)

WWE 3

Spelling Workout F

Arabic from Ad-Duha

SOTW 2 with outlining, note-taking, and summarizing

MPH Singapore Science 5/6

Building Thinking Skills 2

Reading selections based on history or classics found in WWE selections

He plays football, Tae Kwon Do, and is in scouts.

My dd is using:

Math: TT 5 and LOF elementary series -this is easy but I thought we could quickly work through these and then move into fractions. She loves it! : math fact practice

Language Arts: Winston Grammar, Language Lessons for the Elem. Child 2,

Pictures in Cursive, written and oral narrations, various writing books, Spelling Power, Word Roots

Science: History of the Horse; Hands on Science Mysteries; lapbooks of various subjects

History: A Living History of Our World and Sonlight Core 3 + 4

Nature Study: All Nature Sings

Art: Art Fraud Detective, Draw Squad

Music: Wee Sing America, Classical Kids CD, Hymns, and Folk Songs

Reading: comes from readers from Sonlight core

She also has piano, baton lessons, GEMS, and Co-op on Thursday morning.

Blessings,

Pat

We're starting in April (we school year-round):

Math Mammoth 5a/5b + Kitchen Table Math

Henle Latin or Latin Prep (I can't make up my mind and am immobilized by indecision :tongue_smilie:)

Spanish and German (still undetermined, as usual- able to wing it in German - was my minor in college)

MCT's Town Level and Lit Studies (the new ones that are coming out)

Classical Composition: Narrative Level

continue massive Chronicles of Narnia unit study that we just started...

for religion: Journey through the Bible and Loyola's Kids Book of Heroes

I also want to get her a book on study skills...:confused:

reading, writing assignments and projects based on the Ancients and our science theme will be physics and astronomy...lots of time for her to come up with booklists and research things that she is interested in...

Also, we plan to visit a college campus next year and are going to start talking about careers.

I currently have a dd in 5th grade. She is using:

Sonlight Core 3+4 (D+E) for Bible, Reading, History, Geography, and LA

Sonlight Core 5 Science

Saxon 6/5 Math

Latina Christiana (Latin)

Ambleside Online for artist, composer, & nature studies

:)We are very pleased with everything this year.

My 5th grader this year is using

Teaching Textbooks 5 (wanted a good review)

Latin for Children

Shurley English

Wordly Wise (Very happy with this book)

Hand Writing Without Tears (cursive)

Winning with Writing

Real Science Odyssey - Earth and Space

Maps, Globes and Graphs (geography)

Inside Stories (Literature)

All About Spelling

Artistic Pursuits

Started with All American History but we are switching to SOTW and Time Travelers CD's

Edited by fourcatmom

I have a current 5th grader.

Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

Math: MM 5A and B (may supplement with Key to series a little)

History: My own American History - making it up as we go along - includes historical fiction which she loves (planning about 25 books for the year)

Language Arts: Finishing up "Best Selling Chapters" and will be doing some K12 literature 5 next to check it out; GWG 5; writing across the curriculum

Logic: Nous, Logic Liftoff

Language: Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Art: Atelier when we find the time

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with what we have. My DD has really enjoyed "Best Selling Chapters" as she loves creative writing, and I think it was worthwhile, but I need a break from it now. We may use either Best Nonfiction or Best Poems later in the year, but we'll see. I'm still processing my feelings/thoughts on the books and seeing if there's a way that I can utilize them that's a better fit for us.

Edited by 5Wizards

• 1 month later...

I have been creating a new themed-study in my mind for my dd who will be in 5th grade next yr.

She is absolutely horse crazy, so I am going to take advantage of that love and build a yr of world history/cultures off it. I have just started researching my resources and have decided on these 2 to begin with:

The Byerley Turk: The True Story of the First Thoroughbred

How the Horse Has Shaped Civilizations

I will build other books in around certain cultures and time frames and add in books like Marguerite Henry and Anne Sowell's books for literature.

(And yes, I know about BF's History of the Horse unit. ;) I am going for more of culture study than an actual "horse" study.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

This year my fifth grader is using:

Bible: CLE Bible 4

History: Biblioplan year 3

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Physics (Level 1) and The Elements

Language Arts: IEW (Fun and Fascinating), Teaching the Classics, Sequential Spelling, Cheerful Cursive, Copywork for Girls

Math:Teaching Textbooks (finishing 5, beginning 6)

French: The Learnables year 1

Typing: Typing Instructor and Jumpstart Typing

Next year I'll have another 5th grader. We're dealing with some learning issues with him, so right now this is the plan for him:

Bible: CLE Bible 3

Geography/History and Science:Galloping the Globe with Considering God's Creation

Language Arts: Barton Program for Reading and Spelling, Handwriting without Tears (second year of cursive)

Math: Teaching Textbooks 4

Blessings,

Laura

8, how do you build a themed study centering those books? Are you including more horse-centered history/culture books? Or using them as a spine to tie in historical events and themes?

I have just started formulating ideas, so nothing has gelled yet. :tongue_smilie: However, there are lots of interesting resources out there. For example, Lexington, KY has an exhibit right now on China and it includes the history of the horse in China. http://www.ket.org/artofthehorse/ed/history.htm

Obviously, there is Alexander the Great and Bucephalus. (I have a Landmark book that my other kids have read and loved.)

Then there is Ganghis Khan and his horses: http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/mongols/conquests/khans_horses.pdf (I have another Landmark book about him.)

I have a lot of other ideas floating around in my head, but the way my brain works it sort of creates ideas/scenarios over time. By April, I should have a fairly clear view of where I want to go. (I typically order all of my materials in May. ;) )

I'll probably look back on this post next September and roll my eyes... but my plan for next year may look like this:

Math: Singapore 5b/6a-ish

Language Arts: Continue with writing, handwriting (Spencerian), add in some kind of beginning literature curriculum... perhaps Lightening Lit?

History: Finish Renaissance/Reformation... start US History (Hakim)

Science: Continue Story of Science Newton

Latin: Latin Prep

My thoughts are still perculating, but here's where I am right now:

RightStart E with Singapore CWP 4

Writing Tales 2

BFSU + Nature Study + Lots of Science Reading

Mater Amabilis or Ambleside Literature Reading

Mater Amabilis Religion

History Odyssey Ancients 2

Typing

Piano

8, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing more as you cement them. I want to do something similar with either paleontology or forensic science. However, I am weary about making it too contrived. The former has a much narrow time period but I might want to tie in the evolution of natural history museums and perhaps political climate of American and international excavation. The forensic science would have to be heavily edited but I've turned up some good ideas and might include a history of scientific inquiry. I haven't figured out how to include the more standard and famous biographies and history events. Oh well!:D If anyone has ideas, do share! Otherwise, I'm just have to go along the off-beaten trail!:tongue_smilie:

8, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing more as you cement them. I want to do something similar with either paleontology or forensic science. However, I am weary about making it too contrived. The former has a much narrow time period but I might want to tie in the evolution of natural history museums and perhaps political climate of American and international excavation. The forensic science would have to be heavily edited but I've turned up some good ideas and might include a history of scientific inquiry. I haven't figured out how to include the more standard and famous biographies and history events. Oh well!:D If anyone has ideas, do share! Otherwise, I'm just have to go along the off-beaten trail!:tongue_smilie:

With the paleontology, could you tie in countries w/excavations and study the history of the area, the discoveries, and the cultural attitudes?

My daughters and I read a book titled The Man Who Found Ninevah a couple of yrs ago. It was shocking to read about how uncontrolled his archeological digs were (completely uncontrolled) and how he wasn't trained or careful in what he was doing. He actually destroyed countless artifacts. However, it was a fascinating story b/c he was more along the lines of an Indiana Jones and the cultural aspects of the story were very politically incorrect.

You might be able to find similar type autobiographies /biographies about early paleontology digs. It would probably make a memorable study!

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I'll probably look back on this post next September and roll my eyes... but my plan for next year may look like this:

:lol: It might be amusing to look back at similar threads from previous years.

I'm still sorting out this year.

Anyway, my current 5th grader is using:

CLE math

Intermediate Language Lessons

Trail Guide to World Geography( not weekly, but as it matches up with history or other reading)

TOG style Ancient history (filling in some gaps and bringing us up to TOG year 2 which I own)

American history

Opal Wheeler books and cds for composer study

Picture study my way with scrapbooks

Nature diary

Adding in:

Math journal (we did this last year and it worked really well and then didn't do it so far this year???) I just bought Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers to use with this

Science--I am considering using an Inquiry based science as described by Alte Veste Academy. I'm also considering other things......Even outsourcing through a coop or maybe wait on that. Sigh....I like science. Dc like science. It's not happening much here, though. This is definitely my albatross this year.

Thinking about adding in occasionally: Beyond Five in A Row or even FIAR but using it in a more advanced way. I think I wouldn't do this too much, but some of it would be great. Just thinking.......

Did I mention this is this year?!:001_smile: I just see that some things need to change.

Oh, and I forgot to mention writing. I'm mulling over some writing programs at the moment.

Not to get too OT, but 8FillTheHeart I think it would be really interesting to study how the introduction of the horse altered the Native American culture.

I have thought about it quite a bit. When I first mentioned the idea, my 10th grader actually made the comment about how people automatically think about Native Americans and horses which is such a short span of their history. I'm going to have look at how things fall into place in my mind b/c we will have spent this yr on North American history. I was thinking about focusing mostly on world history. But, it does seem wrong to not include it.

With the paleontology, could you tie in countries w/excavations and study the history of the area, the discoveries, and the cultural attitudes?

My daughters and I read a book titled The Man Who Found Ninevah a couple of yrs ago. It was shocking to read about how uncontrolled his archeological digs were (completely uncontrolled) and how he wasn't trained or careful in what he was doing. He actually destroyed countless artifacts. However, it was a fascinating story b/c he was more along the lines of an Indiana Jones and the cultural aspects of the story were very politically incorrect.

You might be able to find similar type autobiographies /biographies about early paleontology digs. It would probably make a memorable study!

That's what I'm leaning towards. I have the Ninevah book on request. It looks fascinating. So far, I have the Sterling/Landmark book on Roy Chapmans, a great tie-in to China and an autobiography by Peter Larson, perhaps a tie-in with American government.

I have just started formulating ideas, so nothing has gelled yet. :tongue_smilie: However, there are lots of interesting resources out there. For example, Lexington, KY has an exhibit right now on China and it includes the history of the horse in China. http://www.ket.org/artofthehorse/ed/history.htm

:hurray: When are you coming to visit? :D

5th/10YO:

Math: LoF Fractions, LoF Dec & Percents, LoF Pre-Algebraw/Bio, LoF PreAlgebra w/ Economics. As fun supplements, Khan Academy and some AoPS Pre-Algebra. Early on we filled in gaps from PS with MM 5A. Penrose and Number Devil books and other fun books as well, but LoF is the main focus.

Computers: Typing, programming (Typing Tutor Platinum, KidCoder, Alice)

Science: Chemistry (NOEO Chem II as the spine; text only from RS4K; selections from Ellen McHenry's Chemistry & Carbon Chemistry, Science Wiz kits, Thames and Cosmos C3000 kit, balancing equations). Random topics every other week at local natural history museum.

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin I. Additional supplements for fun.

German: Rosetta Stone unit I. Watching cartoons in German, speaking around the house in German. Easy readers in German.

History: History Odyssey Ancients Level 2, including plenty of supplemental reading and discussion.

Grammar: started with GWG 5, but lent it to a PS friend who needed after schooling help. Proceeding with Grammarlogues L6.

Literature: combination of self-reading and daily read aloud time with family, in addition to reading time that supplements history. Minimum 45 min per day to self outside of assigned history reading or family reading.

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Workshop has replaced Spelling Workout. He is responsible for spelling vocab words correctly.

Writing: Started with Writing Strands, but ditched it. Started with WWE I at an accelerated pace to make up for PS gaps and discomfort with writing. Will be through WWE 4 by end of year. 1day per week use Unjournaling.

Logic Prep: Mind Benders puzzles, Building Thinking Skills.

Physical Education: Fencing, Karate, Swimming, Riflery, play ;)

Music: trumpet lessons, classics for kids podcast, other stuff I organize.

Art: projects

Chores: laundry, load dishwasher, vacuum, mop, sweep, lawn care, pick up toys, wipe up bathroom sinks, help with composting and recycling

Volunteer stuff as it comes up at church or in community.

Writing: Started with Writing Strands, but ditched it. Started with WWE I at an accelerated pace to make up for PS gaps and discomfort with writing. Will be through WWE 4 by end of year. 1day per week use Unjournaling.

Would you mind sharing how you did this? I'm not feeling the love for WS either.

Would you mind sharing how you did this? I'm not feeling the love for WS either.

Quote:

We do an entire 'week' in one day, four days per week. For a 5th grader, even a very reluctant writer, starting at level 1, this isn't too much (and we have found some great titles to add to our must read list). Consider that one 'day' is often as little as copying a single sentence.

I went with the PDF version, because I do like the literature selections quite a bit, and we can take it anywhere on the laptop or iPad thanks to DropBox. No printing costs!

Another approach would be to do fewer weeks of each type of exercise or minimize the copywork if your child doesn't need it as much (mine did... The examples of more complex writing, and practice holding well-formed sentences in his head and writing is actually kind of complex before you even add in generating the sentences yourself).

I just wanted to put in another vote for Ellen McHenry's Chemistry and also Carbon Chemistry (the latter is best for science-loving kids). Also MCT "Town" level (the whole package) was absolutely wonderful. It was a great year for us because of those two series. We also plugged away at SOTW 4 (the activity guide is more challenging than the earlier books), Singapore Math 5B, 6A, Life of Fred Fractions, Life of Fred Decimals and Percents....

Oh, and Latin Prep Book One. Loved it! Continue whatever music lessons your child has begun, or sing in a local choir. I'm probably forgetting something. For visual art we used local art classes at a very reasonably-priced studio.

Have fun!

Julie

Here's what we're using...

Math: Saxon 6/5

LA: Saxon Grammar and Writing 5

Literature: Selections from Core Knowledge, Robinson Curriculum, Accelerated Achievement, and Simply Charlotte Mason

History: Core Knowledge/Pearson Learning History & Geography (follows the CK Sequence)

Science: List of grade-level topics taken from the CK Sequence, related books from the library, notebooking, hands-on projects, and field trips

Art: Artist/Picture Study using suggestions from SCM and hands-on art projects

Music: Composer/Music Study using suggestions from SCM

Logic: Thinking Skills 5

• 3 weeks later...

Math: Saxon 6/5; Life of Fred Decimals and Percents

English: Rod and Staff English 5; Rod and Staff Spelling 5; an undecided writing program

Latin: Latin for Children C

History: Biblioplan Middle Ages

Science: Apologia Botany (first half of year); focus on earth science (second half of year)

Art: God and the History of Art

Music: continue with recorder and learning to read music; he'd like to add in trumpet lessons but we'll see how finances allow

Religion: Rod and Staff Bible 5; Who Am I? (Apologia); Practical Happiness by Bob Schultz

Logic: undecided logic puzzles

I've had two kids go through Year 5 so far. Here were their main programs (according to my not-so-meticulous record-keeping):

Main program: "Secular-ized" Higher Up and Further In Year 5, with a few AO selections thrown in for good measure

Math: SM and MEP hybrid, Year 6, with Family Math and various supplements

Handwriting: HWOT and copywork

Latin: Weekly translation (their last year of formal Latin study was Year 4, so Year 5 was just review)

Foreign Language: Pimsleur Modern Hebrew 1

Musical Instrument: Continue piano; begin instrument of choice (both kids picked guitar and took lessons at the local recreation center)

Co-op Art

Religion: Private journaling, devotional readings, family prayer, worldview discussions, following the plan I designed for reading throught the entire OT, daily lessons - you get the idea

Extracurriculars: first child did horseback riding and cooking class; second child did gymnastics; both did yoga and scouting - logic/critical thinking was part of scouting

Edited by Hadassah

Here is our 5th Grade year:

Math: BJU math

Grammar: Winston Basic

Writing: WWS

Literature: AO Yr. 4

History: TQ Middle Ages & SOTW 2

Science: this was a bomb. Tried Real Science but I am a failure at science so am thinking of just reading Story of Science and gettting some science kits to flesh it out.