Menu

Creative Moms: I'm in need of frugal Halloween costume ideas for girls

I don't have money that I want to spend on Halloween costumes this year due to other expenses that have cropped up and really need some ideas to pull together some Halloween costumes for 2 girls - 10 and 7.

One of them is thinking of pinning balloons on themselves and going as a bunch of grapes so that's a possibility. I'm in search of other such creative ideas and figured this would be a good place to ask.

TIA!

Do You girls have any full length dresses? You can make a cone hat, or pick up a Tiara from the $ store and they can be princesses, or if one of them has a white one, add some tissue paper flowers and she can be a bride. One of dad's old shirts and beret with a paintbrush to be an artist.

I like the idea of the grapes

going as a particular decade girl...like 70's, 80's, etc.

As a child, I seem to remember pulling together the following from our closet...gypsy, pirate girl, Native American, Renaisance peasant, cheerleader, graduate...(ok, I didn't have the cheerleader outfit nor the graduation cap and gown, but I remember friends who borrowed those from slightly older relatives)...oh--nurse, if you know anyone with scrubs....soccer player...

black cat...all you need is face paint and a couple triangles of felt to make ears on a headband...might even find ears at a dollar store

pink cat...see above, for the child who doesn't own any black...white cat...whatever color your youngest child owns as far as sweatpants or tights :lol:

Fairy Princess--you can get wings and a wand at the dollar store

One year my daughter went as a load of laundry...took a laundry basket from dollar store, cut out the bottom so it could go over her head and sat around her waist. Twine "straps" held it in place on shoulders. Threw some towels and socks in there, along with an empty (or small) bottle of detergent. It was really cute, quick and cheap!!!

One year, my youngest went as American girl doll characters. We used clothes they already owned but had the style of the American girl doll they were.

This year they are going as Hermoine--grey skirt, white button-down shirt, cape, and gryffindor hat that I knitted and Luna dressed as a muggle (oddly matched clothes).

:001_smile:

One year, my youngest went as American girl doll characters. We used clothes they already owned but had the style of the American girl doll they were.

This year they are going as Hermoine--grey skirt, white button-down shirt, cape, and gryffindor hat that I knitted and Luna dressed as a muggle (oddly matched clothes).

:001_smile:

We have a Draco at our house this year. My son has really blonde hair so we're going to slick it back.

He went as Harry last year. The brown colored hairspray was awful to deal with. He said never again...

One of the best costumes I ever did for my little girl was an angel costume. I got a piece of white muslin, folded it in half and cut a hole for her head.

Holding her arms out, I tied a piece of gold trim around her waist and tied it so she had the angel arms.

Bought some white toulle, crunched it, tied it in the middle for wings. Sprayed it with a little gold glitter spray for some shimmer, and tied it around her criss cross for her wings. Then I put this gold garlend thing around her head.

She looked awesome!

I'm going as Pippi Longstocking this year. :D. EASY. I'm going to braid my hair. I MAY add pipe cleaners to the braids so they stick out. After that you just need a dress and some striped or mismatched socks. Throw on a pirate's hat if you have one (I'm skipping it.). I 'may' sew a few felt patches onto the dress, but the party is this evening so I'm not sure. I'm wearing my all weather mocs because they're all clunky.

Wings can be made from old tights and a coat hanger. One year I hot glued flowers onto an old dress and used a garland I already had to make a crown. Dd went as a nature fairy. I also sacrificed an old white sheet one year to make an angel dress. Sweat suits can be turned into a multitude of costumes. We've done devils and skunks made from cheap red or black sweats and a little felt. You could also do puppies, cats or rabbits from sweat suits.

A friend of my dds did the white dress, garland, some flowers pinned here and there, and went as Mother Nature. I loved that costume. I went as one of the cards from Alice in Wonderland one year. Black shirt, black pants, a poster board that I stenciled and spray painted to look like the Ace of Spades, black elastic stapled to the "card" to hang the card pieces on my shoulders. I used one of those "invisible" face masks, and cut out the mesh for the hood. Check out Family Fun's website. They usually have inexpensive, out of your closet type costumes.

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Home/Crafts/Mad-Scientist.html

not very feminine - but hilarious :)

Copied and pasted from http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/holidays/halloween/last-minute-halloween-costumes-00000000008498/index.html :

• A plastic laundry basket with holes cut out for legs + white balloons + a shower cap = Bathing Beauty
  • A white dress + a pipe-cleaner halo + leaves in her hair and “dirt” on her face = Fallen Angel
  • Black clothes + yellow electrical tape down his torso + toy cars + Velcro = Highway
  • A pig nose + a blanket = Pig in a Blanket
  • A blue T-shirt + cotton balls + tape + a water gun = Partly Cloudy With a Chance of Rain
  • A clear umbrella (preferably dome- shaped) + party streamers or metallic ribbons = Jellyfish

The cheapest costume I have worn would only make sense to adults, really- I taped a dime to each of my cheeks..... I was a "pair-uh-dimes" = paradigm :)

I think dd is going as Medusa--snakes in her hair (Dollar Store) and a sheet/toga. Maybe some makeup on the face.

She went as Peter Pan last year--I found a large green T-shirt (men's) at the thrift store, cut the sleeves and bottom in a zig-zag/jagged way, added a leather belt and leggings (brown)--you could do tights. We folded a piece of felt for a hat (online directions). She wore moccasin slippers on her feet, but sneakers would be fine. A little glitter on the shoulder was TinkerBell (she used a small clip in a butterfly shape, but you could just skip it or just do glitter for pixie dust). It was so cute! My mother-in-law borrowed it for HER costume this year. She'll wear it to the nursing home she volunteers at! lol

My DD is going as a flapper this year. Black dress with fringe, black patent leather shoes, tights, cheap headband with feathers hot glued on, and a fake pearl necklace she made herself. I'll let her wear some makeup, too. I wanted to get her a cloche hat, but she nixed that in favor of the headband... which is fine. The headband is cheaper.

I saw a super-cute costume idea on facebook earlier--s'mores! Here's a picture of one similar to the one posted on fb so you can get an idea. I'd probably figure it out on my own rather than follow her directions, though (and I might skip the hat). And I think the one posted on facebook may have used stuffed white trash bags (maybe with newspaper) for the marshmallows.

One year my daughter went as a load of laundry...took a laundry basket from dollar store, cut out the bottom so it could go over her head and sat around her waist. Twine "straps" held it in place on shoulders. Threw some towels and socks in there, along with an empty (or small) bottle of detergent. It was really cute, quick and cheap!!!
I just read this to my daughter - she said she is "totally going as laundry!" Thanks!!

Static Cling: Just stick some unmatched socks on her.
I love this!

I also love this one from FamilyFun Magazine--Paper Doll.

If I had a little girl, I think I'd be begging her to do this one! :D

We were looking at this the other day. I love it! Lauren turned her nose up to it. I've never been able to get her interested in paper dolls. :(

Great ideas! I'm bookmarking this thread for future reference!

I just read this to my daughter - she said she is "totally going as laundry!" Thanks!!

I love this!

We were looking at this the other day. I love it! Lauren turned her nose up to it. I've never been able to get her interested in paper dolls. :(

That's too funny! I showed C the washing machine costume from FamilyFun and he loved it, so we're going to do it. Too bad they can't ToT together--that would be perfect!

One year dd12 went as an unhappy camper. She wore shorts and a hoodie with a back pack. We made her hair messy and stuck twigs in it. Using basic makeup we gave her a rash and some scrapes. It was really a cute outfit.

I saw one in a magazine recently that was a ceiling fan. Pom-poms and a shirt that said "Go ceiling!" I loved that one.

Originally Posted by skirch viewpost.gif

I love this!

That's too funny! I showed C the washing machine costume from FamilyFun and he loved it, so we're going to do it. Too bad they can't ToT together--that would be perfect!
:lol: That would be a hoot!

My oldest daughter is going as Charlie Brown dressed up as a ghost like in "Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". Lots of wholes in a white sheet and a rock so she can tell everyone, "I got a rock".

my son is going as classic charlie brown. We bought a yellow shirt and we're painting the zigzag on it. This is perfect because he LOVES charlie brown, he has a short shaved haircut, and it is nothing weird. He hates anything uncomfortable or weird.

My teenage dd is going as an ipod. We got the idea and printables here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/iPod-Dress/

She will not be wearing a tube dress, but she has a hot pink, long T-shirt and I had the iron-on transfer paper from another project.

Teenage girls are really difficult to dress for Halloween because they no longer want to be cute, or clever, but everything else out there is hookerific.

My 9yo is going to be Eloise. She already has the black skirt, white shirt, white knee socks and black mary janes. I am using black ribbons to make suspenders, she is getting a red ribbon in her hair and we are calling it good. She did make a quick campaign for a pug dog or a turtle, but I told her the stuffed versions she already has will be fine.

Amber in SJ

Amber in SJ