Menu

Looking for a denomination

Me either. Now the question is.....do I go teach my 11 year old son a composition lesson or google the above terms. :001_huh:

Calvinist = TULIP (basically, at least)

Total depravity - people are unable, on their own, to choose God because ever part of their being--mind, will, heart, etc.--is fallen

Unconditional election - God chooses to save some people simply because he chooses them, not because of merit on their part

Limited atonement - Jesus's atoning work was only for the elect

Irresistable grace - God's elect can't not be saved

Perservernce of the saints - Salvation can't be lost

creedobaptist = believer's baptism (as opposed to infant baptism)

not dispensationalist - (historic premillenialism is preferred) = not this (basically, not following the kind of endtimes theology you see in Left Behind, where there's the rapture, tribulation, etc.)

non-cessationist = the belief that the gifts of the Spirit described in the NT (tongues, healing, prophecy, etc.) are still present and available today

At least I think so. ;)

I don't know of any denomination that will fit that criteria.

Reformed Baptist covers all but the non-cessationist.

We, personally, are close to what you've listed. We are cessationist, but non-cessationist-friendly (since my parents are Pentecostal I really don't want to have my children being taught speaking in tongues is of the devil).

Anyway, we attend a nondenominational Calvinistic-leaning church. It drives me nuts sometimes though because there is no consistency in beliefs. I really wish we attended a confessional church.

Me either. Now the question is.....do I go teach my 11 year old son a composition lesson or google the above terms. :001_huh:

I've learned more about various religious beliefs than I would have thought possible while here at the general homeschooling board. I know what all but one of Tony's terms mean.

Unfortunately I couldn't help during his last search, and still can't help now.

It is going to be tough to find one of those churches in the south, but they are here. I know of a great one in AL, pastored by a friend of ours.

DH and I are in the process of moving our family to Ohio to start a new church which will be just what you listed at the core (at least that's our intention). We are in the paperwork/team building/support raising phase!

Try a google search for 9marks. I'm pretty sure they have a map of all the churches that are part of their network. That might be close to what you are looking for.

Calvinist = TULIP (basically, at least)

Total depravity - people are unable, on their own, to choose God because ever part of their being--mind, will, heart, etc.--is fallen

Unconditional election - God chooses to save some people simply because he chooses them, not because of merit on their part

Limited atonement - Jesus's atoning work was only for the elect

Irresistable grace - God's elect can't not be saved

Perservernce of the saints - Salvation can't be lost

creedobaptist = believer's baptism (as opposed to infant baptism)

not dispensationalist - (historic premillenialism is preferred) = not this (basically, not following the kind of endtimes theology you see in Left Behind, where there's the rapture, tribulation, etc.)

non-cessationist = the belief that the gifts of the Spirit described in the NT (tongues, healing, prophecy, etc.) are still present and available today

At least I think so. ;)

:thumbup1:

Yep, basically that covers it. The important things for me are:

1. The belief that God chooses who will be saved completely through his grace, not by any action of ours.

2. Believer's baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.

3. Christians remain on earth through the Tribulation. (this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but a church that pushes dispensational theology isn't what I want. In this case, what the church doesn't teach is more important than what it does)

4. Non-cessationist could also be called continuationist. It is often confused with charismatic. It would be distinct in that many charismatic types believe you HAVE to speak in tongues, as an evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that.

1. The belief that God chooses who will be saved completely through his grace, not by any action of ours.

3. Christians remain on earth through the Tribulation. (this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but a church that pushes dispensational theology isn't what I want. In this case, what the church doesn't teach is more important than what it does)

4. Non-cessationist could also be called continuationist. It is often confused with charismatic. It would be distinct in that many charismatic types believe you HAVE to speak in tongues, as an evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that.

This kind of sums up our church. We are non-denominational Reformed. Not in Hawaii or Colorado, though, sorry. I would think that a Reformed Baptist or Reformed non-denominational church might be a good fit.

www.mormon.org Just a thought. Take it or leave it. Good luck in finding the church you are seeking.

In the end it is ultimately His Decision1. The belief that God chooses who will be saved completely through his grace, not by any action of ours.

YEP 2. Believer's baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.

YEP 3. Christians remain on earth through the Tribulation. (this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but a church that pushes dispensational theology isn't what I want. In this case, what the church doesn't teach is more important than what it does)

YEP4. Non-cessationist could also be called continuationist. It is often confused with charismatic. It would be distinct in that many charismatic types believe you HAVE to speak in tongues, as an evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that.

4.Non-cessationist could also be called continuationist. It is often confused with charismatic. It would be distinct in that many charismatic types believe you HAVE to speak in tongues, as an evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that.

I have attended charismatic churches nearly all of my life, and I have never attended one that believed speaking in tongues was necessary as evidence of baptism in the holy spirit. IME most teach that different people are given different fruits of the spirit. Not everyone faith heals, why should everyone speak in tongues?

Granted, very few of them are Calvinist or non-dispensationalist. I am not really a dispensationalist, but it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
Trying to fix quote box

I have attended charismatic churches nearly all of my life, and I have never attended one that believed speaking in tongues was necessary as evidence of baptism in the holy spirit. IME most teach that different people are given different fruits of the spirit. Not everyone faith heals, why should everyone speak in tongues?

Granted, very few of them are Calvinist or non-dispensationalist. I am not really a dispensationalist, but it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I agree with what you are saying. Some Assembly of God and Pentecostal churches do teach it the other way though. In Texas, we went to a charismatic non-denominational that did not teach it was necessary. I think it's mostly semantics.

I've learned more about various religious beliefs than I would have thought possible while here at the general homeschooling board. I know what all but one of Tony's terms mean.

Unfortunately I couldn't help during his last search, and still can't help now.

:iagree:It has been a truly enlarging experience.

We are members of a PCA church, but don't believe in paedobaptism. Our dds were already 6 and 11 when my dh and I joined. Their ages probably made the issue easier, but we didn't have them baptised until they were ready to speak to the elders and join the church as members. No one even mentioned it to us at all before then.

Mary

I agree with what you are saying. Some Assembly of God and Pentecostal churches do teach it the other way though. In Texas, we went to a charismatic non-denominational that did not teach it was necessary. I think it's mostly semantics.

In the AG it is one of the 16 Fundamental Truths.

In the AG it is one of the 16 Fundamental Truths.

From the AG site:

With the baptism in the Holy Spirit come such experiences as:

an overflowing fullness of the Spirit, John 7:37-39 [KJV/NIV], Acts 4:8 [KJV/NIV]

a deepened reverence for God, Acts 2:43 [KJV/NIV], Hebrews 12:28 [KJV/NIV]

an intensified consecration to God and dedication to His work, Acts 2:42 [KJV/NIV]

and a more active love for Christ, for His Word and for the lost, Mark 16:20 [KJV/NIV]

This indicates several possible experiences, not just one.

8. The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit

The baptism of believers in the Holy Spirit is witnessed by the initial physical sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives them utterance.

Bolding mine. It is evidence, but not the only possible evidence.

From the AG site:

This indicates several possible experiences, not just one.

Bolding mine. It is evidence, but not the only possible evidence.

Yes, but it has to be the first physical evidence. I went to an AG seminary. You have to believe in the INITAL PHYSICAL evidence. There can be no other physical evidences until the ....Initial...Physical. I tried to get around this any way I could. The closest a prof would come in my Pentecostal Doctrines class was emphasizing initial PHYSICAL. Subtly hinting that there could be other evidences before the physical, but no other physical evidence before speaking in tongues. :tongue_smilie:

Dh was ordained in this denomination, meaning we both had to be interviewed and agree that we accept their teachings.

This is a big part of why we left. We couldn't pretend that we agreed anymore.

Edited: Why is this important? There is no proof of your baptism in the Holy Spirit, without the evidence of speaking in tongues. Yes, you should have other evidences, but this is the one that gets you in the "yes I have been baptised in the Holy Spirit" club. It is a question that will come up at every church camp and leadership application. Not to mention we have to fill out forms to send to the district every year and after district camps. How many saved, How many baptised, How many baptised by the Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues?

I apologize for the slight rabbit trail. :)

Edited by simka2

Yes, but it has to be the first physical evidence. I went to an AG seminary. You have to believe in the INITAL PHYSICAL evidence. There can be no other physical evidences until the ....Initial...Physical. I tried to get around this any way I could. The closest a prof would come in my Pentecostal Doctrines class was emphasizing initial PHYSICAL. Subtly hinting that there could be other evidences before the physical, but no other physical evidence before speaking in tongues. :tongue_smilie:

Dh was ordained in this denomination, meaning we both had to be interviewed and agree that we accept their teachings.

Edited: Why is this important? There is no proof of your baptism in the Holy Spirit, without the evidence of speaking in tongues. Yes, you should have other evidences, but this is the one that gets you in the "yes I have been baptised in the Holy Spirit" club. A question that will come up at every church camp and leadership application. Not to mntion we have to fill out forms to send to the district every year. How many saved, How many baptised, How many baptised by the Spirit?

Huh. I have never attended an AG church that (openly, at least) insisted that speaking in tongues was the only proof. I know people on AG church boards who have never spoken in tongues and it doesn't seem like a *thing*, kwim?

www.mormon.org Just a thought. Take it or leave it. Good luck in finding the church you are seeking.

In the end it is ultimately His Decision1. The belief that God chooses who will be saved completely through his grace, not by any action of ours.

YEP 2. Believer's baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.

YEP 3. Christians remain on earth through the Tribulation. (this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but a church that pushes dispensational theology isn't what I want. In this case, what the church doesn't teach is more important than what it does)

YEP4. Non-cessationist could also be called continuationist. It is often confused with charismatic. It would be distinct in that many charismatic types believe you HAVE to speak in tongues, as an evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that.

:iagree:

Ha! This is what came to my mind too reading the list.... and I'm not even LDS!

Huh. I have never attended an AG church that (openly, at least) insisted that speaking in tongues was the only proof. I know people on AG church boards who have never spoken in tongues and it doesn't seem like a *thing*, kwim?

Our board of deacons all have to meet the guidelines laid forth in 1 Timothy - husband of one wife, various other things listed there, etc - and they have to be 30 yrs + (DH was grandfathered in, because he was voted in under the old law of 26+), and they have to have been baptized in the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues.

We are AG. Which, on a sidenote, is not a denomination, but a fellowship. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I do know what you are saying. In fact I do not like it, but if the district that church was in suddenly elected a more conservative district superintendent it could become and issue. And a Minister could never preach that there were other initial physical evidences.

Take my dh for instance, it just wasn't a big deal to him. So he often acted as an insulator between the church and the district. When we would go to camp he would keep, or collect the forms from his counselors and just do a generic fill in of numbers.

Yes, he and the other staff pastors would sit in end of the year meeting joking, at the denominations expense, that they had to fill out the yearly reports. That works for awhile, but eventually those good pastors have to face that they been credentialed, licensed, or ordained in agreement of this.

Our board of deacons all have to meet the guidelines laid forth in 1 Timothy - husband of one wife, various other things listed there, etc - and they have to be 30 yrs + (DH was grandfathered in, because he was voted in under the old law of 26+), and they have to have been baptized in the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues.

We are AG. Which, on a sidenote, is not a denomination, but a fellowship. :tongue_smilie:

:D

Edited: Why is this important? There is no proof of your baptism in the Holy Spirit, without the evidence of speaking in tongues. Yes, you should have other evidences, but this is the one that gets you in the "yes I have been baptised in the Holy Spirit" club. It is a question that will come up at every church camp and leadership application. Not to mention we have to fill out forms to send to the district every year and after district camps. How many saved, How many baptised, How many baptised by the Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues?

I just had flashbacks of my childhood... Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! If you are looking for me I will be curled in the fetal position in a corner .....

How would a person in charge know the person speaking in tongues wasn't just saying gibberish so as to fit in?

It is going to be tough to find one of those churches in the south, but they are here. I know of a great one in AL, pastored by a friend of ours.

DH and I are in the process of moving our family to Ohio to start a new church which will be just what you listed at the core (at least that's our intention). We are in the paperwork/team building/support raising phase!

Try a google search for 9marks. I'm pretty sure they have a map of all the churches that are part of their network. That might be close to what you are looking for.

Isn't that the truth!!!

Rebecca

Totally not trying to hijack here, but thought I'd chime in...

Short (but not rude) question: Distinguish, please? Fellowship not denomination. Thank you!

Honestly? I can't remember. But the AG does also refer to itself as a denomination, at the same time it calls itself a fellowship of churches. ??

I thought AG was Pentecostal not Charismatic? I'm confused so disregard if I'm missing something.

It is pentecostal. What is charismatic?

I am looking for a denomination that is

Calvinist

creedobaptist

not dispensationalist - (historic premillenialism is preferred)

non-cessationist

Any ideas?

One thought is that you might try asking some of the military Christian fellowships to see if they can point you toward a church or denomination. The groups I'm thinking of (Military Christian Fellowship, Officers' Christian Fellowship, Navigators Military reps, Cadence International, ACCTS for example) are parachurch organizations, so they tend to have bare bones doctrinal statements.

But because they have members from all sorts of backgrounds, they may be able to point you in the right direction. I don't know about the others, but I do know that Officers' Christian Fellowship is located in Colorado. (And in my experience, they are not exclusive to fellowshiping with officer families or even exclusively military for that matter.)

Short (but not rude) question: Distinguish, please? Fellowship not denomination. Thank you!

It is both a fellowship and a denomination. Denomination is a more generic term. Quoting again from the AG website:

Currently the Assemblies of God USA and Assemblies of God organizations around the world make up the world's largest Pentecostal denomination with some 62 million members and adherents.

We are actually part of a Cadence International group currently, and we really like it.

Awesome. Some friends of ours from way back retired from the Navy and took on one of the hospitality houses out west.

I think Cadence has or had a Christian link up service. Might be a good resource.

On my phone right now, but it has to do with the fact that the ag did not start or split from any other denomination. Dh says, it is just an ag buzzword to say we are different than all the the denominations that came before us. They just kinda started in topeka.

Short answer: they wouldn't. Longer answer, the fruit of their lives would give evidence to the evidence. I am starting to hate the word evidence. ;)

How would a person in charge know the person speaking in tongues wasn't just saying gibberish so as to fit in?