Menu

Let's share our very favorite Christmas Read-Alouds!

tammyw

I know it seems early, but it's already mid October, and I'm a planner :) Plus, Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year and I spend the entire month of December in bliss.

I'll start out with a couple of my favorites. I honestly wish I'd kept better track of my favorites, as I'm just going by memory and know I'm missing so many that we loved!

- Great Joy, by Kate DiCamillo

- An Orange for Frankie, by Patricia Polacco

- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

- Christmas in the Trenches

- Hannah's Bookmobile Christmas, by Sally Derby

- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree

- Christmas Day in the Morning

Shockingly, a Christmas book we've not read yet! I'll definitely check it out.

It is both bitter-sweet and uplifting. The story involves a homeless young girl living on the streets in a cardboard box with her mother on Christmas Eve, and a visit from from a stranger who needs shelter for the night.

It is kind of a weeper, but it really has a wonderful spirit and gives one a definite sense of perspective at Christmas.

Bill

It is both bitter-sweet and uplifting. The story involves a homeless young girl living on the streets in a cardboard box with her mother on Christmas Eve, and a visit from from a stranger who needs shelter for the night.

It is kind of a weeper, but it really has a wonderful spirit and gives one a definite sense of perspective at Christmas.

Bill

Sounds like the type of book that will become a favorite for me.

Maggie Rose: Her Birthday Christmas by Ruth Sawyer, pictures by Maurice Sendak. Hands-down.

I don't how to narrow down our picture book favorites, but here are a few:

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston, pictures by Barbara Cooney

The Story of Holly & Ivy by Rumer Godden, pictures by Barbara Cooney

The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons by Ruth Sawyer, pictures by Barbara Cooney (are you sensing a theme? :) )

Christmas in the Country by Cynthia Ryland & Diane Goode

Box of Delights by John Masefield

A Christmas Carol

The Nutcracker and the Mouse King/Tale of the Nutcracker (we alternate Hoffmann and Dumas)

Christmas with the Savages by Mary Clive

For picture books, we love Cranberry Christmas and Great Joy, both of which get read and reread every year.

For chapter books, my very favorite is Madeleine L'Engle's The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas. Gosh, I adore that book. Cornelia Funke's The Day Santa Fell to Earth is a light, fun one we did.

1. Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- JRR Tolkien's charming watercolor drawings and letters written in the voice of Father Christmas to his children

2. Christmas Every Day (or here as part of a collection) (Howells) -- a Victorian little girl discovers having Christmas EVERY day isn't what she thought it would be -- we laugh so hard over this one!

Those are absolute MUSTS that the entire family wants EVERY year, even now that DSs are grown! :)

Others that have been especially delightful over the years (in no particular order):

- When it Snowed That Night (Farber) -- charming collection of short poems of the animals coming to see Baby Jesus

- The Last Straw (Thury)

- The Remarkable Chrstmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer) -- a fun favorite with DSs

- Dance in the Desert (L'Lengle) -- lovely, poetic, magical; not quite Christmas, but all the wild desert animals dancing to honor toddler Jesus as His family flees to Egypt

- The Christmas Knight (Curry) -- very fun; DSs LOVED how the greedy characters get their come-uppance

- A Small Miracle (Collington) -- a lovely, wordless story

- A Story a Day (Scarry) -- all the December stories

- The Other Wiseman (retelling by Kennedy) -- hanky alert! I cry all the way through this one EVERY TIME!

- The Polar Express (Allsburg)

- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Seuss)

- B is for Bethlehem (Wilner) -- vibrant and colorful Christmas alphabet picture book

- Trouble at Christmas (Johnson) -- very silly and sweet

- The TALL Book of Christmas (Smith) -- fun collection of stories and poems

- Find The Gifts on The Twelve Days of Christmas (a "Look and Find" book) (Tallarico)

- The Snowman (Briggs) -- wintery, rather than straight Christmas, but lovely, imaginative, poignant

- A Christmas Carol (French) -- a very nice abridged retelling

Edited by Lori D.
added links

I consider myself pretty well-versed in children's books, but Christmas books is so open. There are sooooo many treasures out there that are so forgotten. Last year we found one that I loved called Christmas Tree on the Mountain by Carol Fenner that was amazing. And people here have posted several I don't know.

Ivan Gantschev's "The Christmas Train" - a picture book about a girl who stops a train from an avalanche on Christmas Eve.

Not read-alouds, but we like the World Book's Christmas Around the World series. They have photos, songs, recipes and crafts. The Scandinavian ones have seemed pretty authentic and have been helpful to create a cultural link for our dc (without having to experience the Scandinavian winters :) ).

I don't know if this qualifies...but we love Jotham's Journey. It's an advent story. We have read it the last 2 years.

Yes this, and we've also read Bartholomew's Passage, good too. We're going to read the Easter one this year...forgetting what it's called right now! by the same author though...

Another book that my kids love is The Advent Book. Every page has a short text with a large window to open (like Christmas cards--in fact that's what the author used originally to make the book for his kids & then they made this elaborate book). Really beautiful.

Merry :-)

Oh yes, Emmet Otter is wonderful. I didn't know it was out of print! That seems wrong.

Christmas in the Noisy Village

Polar Express

I have a big book that is all Jan Brett Christmas (or winter) stories. My kids love that. They adore the story "Trouble with Trolls"

We have a really 'far out' book by Bill Peet called "Countdown To Christmas" that I always like.

We also have "Christmas in New York: a Popup Book" that is amazing. We have been to NY to see the windows at Macy's and the tree and the skaters and we took the kids to see the Rockettes. It is fun to look at that book and remember what a good time we had.

A litte non-traditional, but we love A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wish-for-wings-that-work-berke-breathed/1100836678

They are not picture books, but my kids also enjoyed reading aloud the first couple of the Christmas Chronicles series:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/autobiography-of-santa-claus-jeff-guinn/1100315202

Here are some Christmas books we've enjoyed over the years. All of these are links to my reviews on my blog:

lots of picture books (my girls were 3 & 4 when we read these)

Nine Days to Christmas: A Story of Mexico

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree

Santa Mouse

Best Christmas Pageant Ever and Polar Express

summary Christmas post with lots of links (why didn't I remember this one to begin with?)

Jan Brett picture books

St. Nicholas Day books

various books by Madeleine L'Engle, Nikki Grimes, and Pearl S. Buck

Christmas around the World: Mexico

Christmas around the World: Russia

I'm subscribing to this thread for future reference! Thanks, everyone!

• 1 year later...
For chapter books, my very favorite is Madeleine L'Engle's The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas.

Will I ever find a book suggestion thread where you haven't already posted my suggestion? :)

Oh wow, my hold request for it (which I think I placed last January) has activated! Eek! I've officially reached my self-designated "Getting close to Christmas" point!