Menu

NYC -- what are your top 3 suggestions of things to visit?

Rockefeller Center and the Christmas display Windows in the shopping around there.

Central Park, the zoo is cool.

A good show. Mary Poppins was awesome if it is still open. Wicked was amazing as well. The Rockets Christmas Spectacular or the New York Ballet are also top on my list.

There is just so much! Do you want touristy or cultural or shopping? I have been 5 times for 3-5 days each time and still never saw everything I wanted to see. And now my sister moved to St Louis :( No more free lodging.

It is beautiful at Christmas!

In winter I love the shopping district with all the windows decorated for Christmas (especially Macy's). New York City Ballet's Nutcracker. Time Square at night, especially if you've never seen it before. You have to see it at least once. :001_smile:

Natural History Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art and a Broadway Show :D

Make sure there are no school field trips at the natural history museum. We went the Tues before Thanksgiving and there. were a ton of field trip groups. It was miserable!

MoMA and Metropolitan museums were great too.

You can get a city pass that lets you into a lot of museums and activities as for one fee. It is great if you have a few days and you want to see a lot.

Do you want touristy or cultural or shopping?

Anything. I'm open to all ideas (including specific restaurant recommendations)....

I've been different times in the past (mainly for shopping w/ a gal pal & lots of fabulous eating, never did do any of the cultural or touristy stuff when w/ her). Dh lived there for a few years in his youth.

I'm just trying to see the variety of answers I'll get to see if we've forgotten anything neat or appealing, kwim?

Ds' "top of the list" thing is to get a hot dog from a street vendor. :lol:

Anything. I'm open to all ideas (including specific restaurant recommendations)....

I've been different times in the past (mainly for shopping w/ a gal pal & lots of fabulous eating, never did do any of the cultural or touristy stuff when w/ her). Dh lived there for a few years in his youth.

I'm just trying to see the variety of answers I'll get to see if we've forgotten anything neat or appealing, kwim?

I would add a bagel to that list!

That was on my first list too. As well as buying from a street vendor. I got my hot dog and a knock off purse in high school.

My sister always guided us, bit we went to the most amazing Two restraunt in Chealsea. I have no clue what it was called.

Top 3? That's tough.

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art. My husband, who took our twins when they were 8 or 9, highly recommends the audio guides. I think they have a special children's track.

2. A Broadway show. Last year I saw Wicked and loved it.

3. The East Side Tenement Museum for a view of real life for immigrants.

1. The Met vs. Natural History Museum

2. Russ & Daughters vs. Barney Greengrass; two good deli like places that always make me say I am really in New York

3. Central Park

4. It probably goes without saying, but taking the Subway and possibly the Staten Island Ferry are two fun, cheap things to do that my kids were very impressed by.

1. statue of liberty

2. metropolitian museum of art

3. natural science museum

4. a broadway musical

5. central park

sorry, not 3. i couldn't narrow down anymore. go to vrbo.com and stay in an apartment. i hardly stay in hotels anymore. the apartments are bigger and less expensive, plus you can get the feel of the city better. we go yearly. i love that place. :D

I lived in NYC during my grad school years. Christmas time there is lovely.

Agreeing with all the suggestions so far. I'm a bit out of touch with recent stuff, since I haven't lived there in years. Stacia, you will all have so much fun! :D I'm excited for you.

I love the Met and all the other museums. You probably know that you don't have to pay full fee. The prices, as far as I recall, are suggested prices. You give what you can/want. When we were all students, we didn't pay full fee.

Jekyll and Hyde's is great fun, it is a restaurant with a bit of a surprise.

Lots of fun. I remember going there. :D

3. Serendipity for Frozen Hot Chocolate

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reminding me of the name of this wonderful place. I used to go there, and then could never remember the name when we returned as tourists.

the Cloisters if you've got time[/url])

Used to live very near here. :)

Again, everything mentioned so far are what I would suggest also. Some others, but probably not as good as those already mentioned.

Roosevelt Island Aerial Tram: 59th St. And 2nd Ave. You pay for the trip across with your Metrocard. It departs every 15 min. and goes over the East river. Amazing views. If you want to get off on the Roosevelt Island side for a bit, take the 25 cent little red bus. There are parks that are great for a picnic at the farthest north stop. Kids also love the little lighthouse there. I never did this.

South Street Seaport: 19 Fulton St. There is a shopping center, maritime museum, and lots of restaurants. There is a Children’s Center with hands on exhibits related to water and sea-voyaging. The tall ships are wonderful and children love them. May-October there are lots of street performers that can keep you entertained for hours. Used to go here quite often. Don't know what it's like in winter.

Books of Wonder: A truly AMAZING children’s bookstore. Visit http://www.booksofwonder.net

18 West 18th Street

I love NYC street food - gyros, etc. :D

For dessert, I always loved this place sooo much. Open till 1 AM or so. Yummy desserts.

49872_m.jpg

I think Spy Car and others suggested the following in previous threads. I think. I copied and pasted the following info for our next trip to NYC:

Jackson Hole burgers had the best burger I've EVER had in my life.

Carmine's

Do you like Deli? If you have never been to a REAL New York Deli you might consider either the Carnegie of the Stage Deli. Both wonderful glimpses into New York's Yiddish past, and with Pastrami and Corned Beef sandwiches to die for.

Just don't order the sandwiches on white bread with mayo and a glass of milk

BTW the sandwiches at these two Delis are HUGE! You could split one and round out the meal with other dishes. IMO this meal not be missed.

In Manhatten you'll find Katz's, Carnegie and Stage Delis. The famous 2nd Avenue Deli (once shuddered due to rent increases) has re-opened on 33rd St (but I've not yet been).

I would say:

Metropolitan Museum- Egypt wing especially and the roof which was really cool and intersting

Natural History

A show on Broadway

Central Park if weather is good

Dh would probably say:

Metropolitan Museum and/or MOMA

Zabar's

High Line if the weather is good

Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum

Kids (ages 7 and 4) would say:

Times Square Toys R Us (Times Square itself is worth it just for the experience at least once)

Dylan's Candy Bar

Central Park, in particular the Zoo if the weather is good

Metropolitan Museum Arms and Armory

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU so much, everyone!

We had a fabulous 5-day trip to NYC & I got some great suggestions through this thread. We got a great apartment through vrbo. The City Pass was a great (and economical) way to see some of the famous sites. We had some great food & especially enjoyed the E.A.T. Cafe (run by one of the Zabar family).

Things we got to see/do:

Ride the subway :lol: (a lot!)

Empire State Building

Boat cruise around lower Manhattan & by the Statue of Liberty

Shop (including the American Girl Store, Dylan's Candy Bar, F.A.O. Schwartz, Swarovski, & the Holiday Shops at Bryant Park)

Ice Skate at Rockefeller Center

Times Square

Chinatown

Guggenheim Museum (I enjoyed the current special exhibit by Maurizio Cattelan & the kids hated it)

Metropolitan Museum of Art (can I move in there???; focused on seeing Ancient Egyptian, Arms/Armory, and Musical Instruments exhibits)

American Museum of Natural History (the origami Christmas tree is quite neat)

Grand Central Station

NY Public Library (they have a very cool exhibit going on there right now called Celebrating 100 Years)

And, last but not least, ds got his fill of eating hot dogs from street vendors :D

We did a lot, yet we didn't even scratch the surface of this fabulous city. We just need to plan another trip so we can experience even more....

Thanks again, everyone! Your suggestions & advice were great.

Edited by Stacia

Just plan your trip around walking from Deli to Deli, and should you pass an interesting looking museum while your walking off the meal...go ahead and pop in :D

The International Center for Photography (near the Guggenheim and Central Park has interesting shows). The Metropolitan Museum can keep one busy for days. The Whitney can be interesting.

The Frick has a kid-unfriendly policy, but if you want to see the opulence fashion in which the uber-rich lived in the days of Edith Warton don't miss going to the Frick. It is a gem.

Do pop into St Particks on 5th Avenue. It is an island of tranquility on an island on intranquility.

More Deli.

Papaya King. Zabars.

Try to score some Opera tickets at the Met. Get standing room tickets cheap, all the fat cats leave after the first act and you can take their seats later.

Natural History Museum. MoMA.

Deli.

Greenwich Village. Little Italy.

Maybe some experimental Off-off-Broadway theater. Followed by a little Deli.

Wear good shoes. Walk a lot. You will want to be hungry.

Bill

Jekyll and Hyde's is great fun, it is a restaurant with a bit of a surprise. :lol:

:iagree:

If you want to consider things off the beaten path - head down to DUMBO (down under the Manhattan Brooklyn Overpass) on the Brooklyn side, explore the art galleries and then head to Grimaldi's for pizza and then a quick tour of the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

Walking through the Village and around Washington Square Park and the area around NYU can be fun - there you'll find some great restaurants (ie. Jekell & Hyde's above) and there are tons of galleries and off-Broadway and off-off-Broadway shows to see!

If you're game, jump on the D train and head into the Bronx - get off at Fordham road and walk over to the "real" Little Italy and just enjoy! From there you can also go to the Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Gardens (depending on weather).

For more traditional fare - Rockefeller Center, then a walk down 5th to see the windows at Saks, Lord & Taylor, etc., then head over to Macy's to see their windows too. Lots of interesting shopping along the way!

There's always the MOMA, Museum of Natural History, Planetarium and lots of other museums - the NY Public Library is definitely worth popping in to see too - it's huge, it's amazing and it's free!