Menu

EU regs on children and ballons and Teddy bears

No children under 14 can play with party whistles???

When will it become illegal to walk without full protective gear?

:lol:

fortunately this isn't a US reg. Although, I'm pretty sure our balloon packages have warnings on them already.

I still don't understand the Wine at McD's connection. Are they serving it to children in juice boxes?

It says that they will have a safety label, and that children shouldn't blow them up while unsupervised. The article in question is misleading. Children should be supervised with balloons, Lots of kids choke on balloons every year.

I don't get the connection between safety regs for children and selling wine to adults.

It says that they will have a safety label, and that children shouldn't blow them up while unsupervised. The article in question is misleading. Children should be supervised with balloons, Lots of kids choke on balloons every year.

I don't get the connection between safety regs for children and selling wine to adults.

Because adults are CHILDREN and they must be restricted. They shouldn't have wine!

Guns are fine though, guns for everyone! But no balloons or wine.

Oh, we have plenty of stupid regulations in the US - for instance the ban on the chocolate surprise eggs .. they can't be imported because officials here are worried kids are too stupid to distinguish the small toy in the plastic capsule inside from the edible chocolate. Or maybe because they think the supervising parents are too dumb.

I don't see anything about a BAN - it just states something about supervision.

Btw, if the were really serving wine at McD (not sure that is true), I would shudder at the thought of the quality.

I think wine at a fast food restaurant is a problem because you likely have to drive away. I've heard concerns about this before. Making plans about having designated drivers and such would be harder if you are stopping for cheeseburgers and a glass of wine (which just sounds weird anyway...).

I think wine at a fast food restaurant is a problem because you likely have to drive away. I've heard concerns about this before. Making plans about having designated drivers and such would be harder if you are stopping for cheeseburgers and a glass of wine (which just sounds weird anyway...).

Around here the booze is at dine-in only locations.

*Sonic* is starting to carry booze. I find that a bit strange.

Btw, if the were really serving wine at McD (not sure that is true), I would shudder at the thought of the quality.

Oh, it is true. They have beer and wine at the McD's in Europe. The quality is not bad at all. It is better than the spam and rice and taro pies you get at Hawaii McD's.

Relatively few of the fast food restaurants in Europe have drive-thru windows. Europe just isn't generally set up that way.

It wouldn't be allowed through the drive thru. Just like you aren't allowed to take drinks off the restaurant property because of open container laws. It's dine-in only.

I can't answer the designated driver problem. Either you are responsible or you aren't. I don't think the venue is really going to matter.

All I know is that I was so happy when I was at Chucky Cheese and found out they serve wine. Until I tasted it. :lol: But it was better than no wine.

What does serving wine at McD's have anything to do with it? I don't see the comparison.

Poorly written on my part. It was a failed attempt to demonstrate the different perspective between us and Europe.

In Europe what we would deem minors can and do buy alcohol. I have seen pre-teens stop in a store and buy a bottle of wine for his parents and few blink an eye, but go unsupervised with a balloon......

Poorly written on my part. It was a failed attempt to demonstrate the different perspective between us and Europe.

In Europe what we would deem minors can and do buy alcohol. I have seen pre-teens stop in a store and buy a bottle of wine for his parents and few blink an eye, but go unsupervised with a balloon......

Ah! That comparison now makes sense.

Implying that Europe has MORE regulations than the US when it comes to liability or child safety is insane. They are much more relaxed. For example, one playground (corrected due to phone) we liked had monkey bars *over a pond*, you would never see such a thing in the US. I could easily name a hundred examples of how the US is more strict about child safety from carnival rides to foods.

Anyone who has lived in both places knows better than what you are trying to imply, pqr, and that includes you.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

The US consumer product safety commission has been warning of Latex balloons, too:

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns parents and guardians of young children about the suffocation hazard presented by uninflated toy balloons and pieces of broken balloons.

Of all children's products, balloons are the leading cause of suffocation death, according to CPSC injury data. Since 1973, more than 110 children have died as a result of suffocation involving uninflated balloons or pieces of balloons. Most of the victims were under six years of age, but the CPSC does know of several older children who have suffocated on balloons.

Accidents involving balloons tend to occur in two ways. Some children have sucked uninflated balloons into their mouths, often while attempting to inflate them. This can occur when a child who is blowing up the balloon inhales or takes a breath to prepare for the next blow, and draws the balloon back into the mouth and throat. Some deaths may have resulted when children swallowed uninflated balloons they were sucking or chewing on. The CPSC knows of one case in which a child was chewing on an uninflated balloon when she fell from a swing. The child hit the ground and, in a reflex action, inhaled sharply. She suffocated on the balloon.

The second kind of accident involves balloon pieces. Children have drawn pieces of broken balloons that they were playing with into their throats. If a balloon breaks and is not discarded, for example, some children may continue to play with it, chewing on pieces of the balloon or attempting to stretch it across their mouths and suck or blow bubbles in it. These balloon pieces are easily sucked into the throat and lungs. Balloons mold to the throat and lungs and can completely block breathing.

Because of the danger of suffocation, the CPSC recommends that parents and guardians do not allow children under the age of eight to play with uninflated balloons without supervision. The CPSC does not believe that a completely inflated balloon presents a hazard to young children. If the balloon breaks, however, CPSC recommends that parents Immediately collect the pieces of the broken balloon and dispose of them out of the reach of young children.

My first thought was Oh, dear, what if the Kindereggs are next??? :svengo:

Don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem that children blowing up balloons is a popular activity here. The ones we've gotten have been pretty hard to get started. This part of the article makes perfect sense to me, though:

All teddie bears meant for children under the age of three will now have to be fully washable because EU regulators are concerned that dirty cuddly toys could spread disease and infection

I like that rule.

None of the article will change anything, though. Parents will still do what they feel is best, balloon makers will add a disclaimer, and Steiff will put a "not meant for children under 3" tag on their bears. Big deal. Whoop-de-do.

Now if they mess with my Kindereggs there'll be heads rollin! :lol:

For the record I REALLY hate balloons, so my opinion about them is not entirely unbiased. :D

My husband (a pediatrician) feels the same way about balloons. We have a zip line, a trampoline without a net, skydiving trips, no fence in front of the creek, but NO BALLOONS! (He does buy mylar...but NEVER latex.)

Implying that Europe has MORE regulations than the US when it comes to liability or child safety is insane. They are much more relaxed. For example, one playground (corrected due to phone) we liked had monkey bars *over a pond*, you would never see such a thing in the US. I could easily name a hundred examples of how the US is more strict about child safety from carnival rides to foods.

Anyone who has lived in both places knows better than what you are trying to imply, pqr, and that includes you.

Lay off will you and stop jumping to conclusions. I was not implying anything simply pointing out some of the differences.

Now if you want to speak about regs in Europe I would be happy to oblige we can speak about the requirement in Germany to report to the police and give them your new address. We can speak about freedom of speech or lack thereof but stop jumping to conclusions. We can speak to the illegality of homeschooling in Germany....the list goes on.

I even mentioned freedom with regard to alcohol vs balloons.... read what I posted not what you think I posted.

This is written to imply something about European versus American perspectives, according to *you*.

Lay off will you and stop jumping to conclusions. I was not implying anything simply pointing out some of the differences.

You were not just pointing out differences when you post an article with misleading information.

Now if you want to speak about regs in Europe I would be happy to oblige we can speak about the requirement in Germany to report to the police and give them your new address. We can speak about freedom of speech or lack thereof but stop jumping to conclusions. We can speak to the illegality of homeschooling in Germany....the list goes on.

My post was *specific*, I was specifically speaking to liability and child safety issues. The US has much more stringent laws in that regard, that is a fact.

I even mentioned freedom with regard to alcohol vs balloons.... read what I posted not what you think I posted.

Your posts above, you don't think they imply (whether or not that is your actual opinion) that more access is a bad thing?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

a) Who in their right mind leaves an under 8 alone blowing up a balloon?

b) Minors are not allowed to serve alcohol.

c) The writer of the piece also writes for the website 'spiked' which describes itself - spiked is an independent online phenomenon dedicated to raising the horizons of humanity by waging a culture war of words against misanthropy, priggishness, prejudice, luddism, illiberalism and irrationalism in all their ancient and modern forms. spiked is endorsed by free-thinkers such as John Stuart Mill and Karl Marx, and hated by the narrow-minded such as Torquemada and Stalin. Or it would be, if they were lucky enough to be around to read it

Perhaps he just forgot which website he was writing for?

This is written to imply something about European versus American perspectives, according to *you*.

Yes it was posted simply as an interest piece to illustrate differences in the way children are viewed.....and anyone who has lived in Europe knows that there is a difference.

You were not just pointing out differences when you post an article with misleading information.

As to the Telegraph article, take it up with them. They had a headline grabber but as the article ITSELF expanded on the information I am not too sure where you get the "misleading" info comment.

My post was *specific*, I was specifically speaking to liability and child safety issues. The US has much more stringent laws in that regard, that is a fact.

I know your post was specific and MY POST made no implication. You are the one laying charges of "insanity" based on something that was not in my post.

Your posts above, you don't think they imply (whether or not that is your actual opinion) that more access is a bad thing?

More access to what???

Yes it was posted simply as an interest piece to illustrate differences in the way children are viewed.....and anyone who has lived in Europe knows that there is a difference.

Children in Europe have much more freedom at a younger age in my experience. Is that your experience? They aren't treated as children until they marry and have kids, which is my experience of how older teens and young adults are treated in the US. Do you agree?

As to the Telegraph article, take it up with them. They had a headline grabber but as the article ITSELF expanded on the information I am not too sure where you get the "misleading" info comment.

The article was trying to imply that it is an example of over-hyped regulation to put a warning label on balloons saying that children should be supervised. Do you agree that the article was trying to spin it that way? Your OP said (to paraphrase) that kids couldn't have balloons, but people could buy wine at McDonalds. This implies that you agree with the spin of the article and that is an example of over-zealous regulation. Are you now saying you think it is fine to put a warning label on balloons? I am curious how this illustrates any difference as the US already has warning labels on balloons. Since you say I am misinterpreting you, maybe you can explain what you did mean?

know your post was specific and MY POST made no implication. You are the one laying charges of "insanity" based on something that was not in my post.

See above. If that isn't what you meant, then I am afraid I cannot puzzle out what you intention was. Would you like to explain?

More access to what???

I said this after I quoted your line about alcohol, that is what I was referring to.

Children in Europe have much more freedom at a younger age in my experience. Is that your experience? They aren't treated as children until they marry and have kids, which is my experience of how older teens and young adults are treated in the US. Do you agree?

I am not arguing with you on this point as in some areas I tend to agree.

My ire came from the implication that I was either lying or insane. You called me out directly making accusations that I had stated something that I had not. There was no implication in an 8 word OP, yet you read volumes into it.

I am not arguing with you on this point as in some areas I tend to agree.

My ire came from the implication that I was either lying or insane. You called me out directly making accusations that I had stated something that I had not. There was no implication in an 8 word OP, yet you read volumes into it.

What I said:

"Implying that Europe has MORE regulations than the US when it comes to liability or child safety is insane. They are much more relaxed."

Nowhere does that say that *you* are a liar and/or insane.

For the record I REALLY hate balloons, so my opinion about them is not entirely unbiased. :D

Why?

BTW, I have been to a couple of parties where a non-hostess mother spends the whole time frantically running to the sound of every popping balloon and picking up every scrap. One woman took off her shoes to get faster, and looked like she was in a cricket match, she was going back and forth so fast, and you got the feeling this was the LAST b-day party she'd be taking her kid to.

What I said:

"Implying that Europe has MORE regulations than the US when it comes to liability or child safety is insane. They are much more relaxed."

Nowhere does that say that *you* are a liar and/or insane.

What you said is this "Anyone who has lived in both places knows better than what you are trying to imply, pqr, and that includes you. "

Now if implying is insane and if I am trying to imply, then if A = B and B=C then you guessed it......

you normally have a little more decorum.

Chuck E Cheese sells wine & beer. Haven't stepped foot in the place for a decade, but that did help me make it through the party. You know what would improve Cici's in FL? Alcohol. They have a balloon guy making animals, swords, and crowns, but the parents have to suffer the food with no distractions whatever.

What you said is this "Anyone who has lived in both places knows better than what you are trying to imply, pqr, and that includes you. "

Now if implying is insane and if I am trying to imply, then if A = B and B=C then you guessed it......

No, this does not logically follow. But, making that leap makes for better drama, I guess.

Why?

BTW, I have been to a couple of parties where a non-hostess mother spends the whole time frantically running to the sound of every popping balloon and picking up every scrap. One woman took off her shoes to get faster, and looked like she was in a cricket match, she was going back and forth so fast, and you got the feeling this was the LAST b-day party she'd be taking her kid to.

Balloons are almost impossible to remove with the Heimlich maneuver. The traditional first-aid tactics for dealing with choking often don't work because balloons conform to the trachea and can't be expelled easily.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/13/garden/balloons-made-of-latex-pose-choking-hazard.html

The Heimlich can actually make them really cut off air supply completely, which is part of why they can be so dangerous.

No, this does not logically follow. But, making that leap makes for better drama, I guess.

No drama, I would love to hear an explanation of how:

If implying = insane

and If I am implying then somehow you make the leap that there is no correlation.

anyway I will not be bothered by it, it was simply unusual to see you behave in such a manner, as I said you normally have more decorum. You must simply be having a bad day.

All the best pqr

No drama, I would love to hear an explanation of how:

If implying = insane

and If I am implying then somehow you make the leap that there is no correlation.

anyway I will not be bothered by it, it was simply unusual to see you behave in such a manner, as I said you normally have more decorum. You must simply be having a bad day.

All the best pqr

Because another (one of many possibilities) would be: to imply x is insanity, i know that you know better. Either you are trying to start fights or you are not expressing yourself well.

That is just one of many possible interpretations. I've had a great day.

Now if you want to speak about regs in Europe I would be happy to oblige we can speak about the requirement in Germany to report to the police and give them your new address.

Actually, that would be the Einwohnermeldeamt, not the police. Other European countries require one to register their address too, not just Germany. I'm not clear what you're trying to imply with this example.

Actually, that would be the Einwohnermeldeamt, not the police. Other European countries require one to register their address too, not just Germany. I'm not clear what you're trying to imply with this example.

Totally off topic ... But I like seeing long German words, they look like such fun to say.... So says the woman who gets tongue tied reading some words out loud in her first and only language, English.

How dare you say he is implying anything! What could possibly be inferred from what he said? You are reading things into what he says. You are obviously a deplorable person. Tsk tsk.

My husband (a pediatrician) feels the same way about balloons. We have a zip line, a trampoline without a net, skydiving trips, no fence in front of the creek, but NO BALLOONS! (He does buy mylar...but NEVER latex.)

I HATE balloons too!! And wouldn't mind if those adorable pillow pets were machine washable.

Why?

I didn't realize we were at a birthday party together.;) Children choking on pieces of balloons scares the bejibbers out of me. I do try not to leave them unsupervised and I don't buy them. If they get them elsewhere they can play with them a while and after they get old I deflate them and throw them away. I only hand out balloons for science experiments.:D

Do the hyper toy regulations reflect concern about the shrinking native-European population. IE there are fewer kids, so we've got to protect the ones there are?

[Really not trying to kill the thread here, just curious what you all think!] :001_smile:

Yes and no. I mean, there is more of a feeling of community involvement when it comes to raising children where we've lived. There seems to be more of a strive towards healthy living. Toys, yes, I will buy on the European economy rather than the U.S. because they are more stringent in what can be allowed and the tests they need to pass. Food, too. There's less additives to the EU versions of common foods.

However, kids are not protected in the American way. They are not put into bubbles and kept on plastic play equipment. There are very few places we've been that are handicap-accessible, which means that children are out of strollers quite a bit sooner than the average in America.

Our values are different. Both in Portugal and Italy there has been a rule of "Work, rest, play" - a balance that is worked at every day. Teens leave school at noon and return at 2:30 after a long afternoon rest. Adults do the same at their jobs. Parties go way into the night. There have been many children's events we've passed up because they start at 8pm. And there is an emphasis here on quality over quantity. Quality ingredients used at a restaurant giving you a small plate of food, rather than 'all you can eat'. Quality playtime. Great work for 4 hours instead of mediocre for 8 straight.

I think by looking at one aspect of life to compare we really miss the big picture.